Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4399283 - 01/10/18 06:58 PM The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Creative Assembly just released this new trailer for their next main historical total war title. A lot have been asking for this for years and now they are finally going to get a game based on:

The Three Kingdoms

Direct link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4D42vMUSIM&feature=push-u&attr_tag=r7Erz-MpLaxvtsvX-6

The year is 190CE. China is in turmoil. The Han Dynasty crumbles before the child-emperor. He is but a figurehead; a mere puppet for the tyrant warlord Dong Zhuo. It is a brutal and oppressive regime, and as Dong Zhuo’s power grows, the empire slips further into the cauldron of anarchy. But hope yet blossoms. Three heroes, sworn to brotherhood in the face of tyranny, rally support for the trials ahead. Scenting opportunity, warlords from China’s great families follow suit, forming a fragile coalition in a bid to challenge Dong Zhuo’s remorseless rule. Will they triumph against the tyrant, or will personal ambition shatter their already crumbling alliance and drive them to supremacy?

The crucible fizzes. Allegiances shift. The fires of conflict stoke opportunity. Only one thing is certain: the very future of China will be shaped by its champions. Total War: Three Kingdoms is the next major historical strategy game in the award-winning Total War series.

The trailer says it's for the fall of 2018.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4399292 - 01/10/18 07:48 PM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'll be getting it for sure. Not sure how this will perform commercially though since it deals with a historical location and time period that quite honestly many people aren't familiar with. At least not in the West.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/10/18 07:48 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4399345 - 01/11/18 02:57 AM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'll be getting it for sure. Not sure how this will perform commercially though since it deals with a historical location and time period that quite honestly many people aren't familiar with. At least not in the West.

I agree. It's a period that I am not too well versed in, but then I was pretty much in the same boat with feudal Japan when Shogun came out. That game in turn prompted me to acquire a few books on the period along with some reproduction wood block prints and other decorative pieces. However, I think there may be a bigger interest in it than we think---well at least I hope this is the case.

Regardless, I hope it delivers----the CGA trailer is certainly well done. One can only hope the game looks and plays half as well.

Cheers

#4399375 - 01/11/18 11:52 AM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
My main issue is the AI. I really hope it is improved and it is actually more intelligent. I never play any TW campaign above "normal" difficulty because I have a fundamental issue with giving the AI outright cheats and handicaps. It's what I like to call "false difficulty".

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4399440 - 01/11/18 08:30 PM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Yay!

A dream come through! biggrin

#4399549 - 01/12/18 04:20 PM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
It will have to be an outstanding game on its own rights (which, admittedly, both Shogun releases were) to get my business, as I have minimal interest in the ancient Chinese history.

#4399611 - 01/12/18 07:24 PM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Not for me this one...

#4399636 - 01/12/18 08:39 PM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Nimits]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by Nimits
It will have to be an outstanding game on its own rights (which, admittedly, both Shogun releases were) to get my business, as I have minimal interest in the ancient Chinese history.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I was hoping for another release somewhere in the gun powder era, but that's just me. From what little reading I have done since this was announced, I seeing that a lot of the current pop culture interest in the period of the Three Kingdoms is really based on pure fiction bordering on fantasy. I'm afraid this could give the developers too much leeway in adding such elements to a game that is supposed to stay historically inspired. Thus, just like Warhammer, they will have overpowered hero units or even worse give some of those heroes mystical powers.

For example, I keep hearing Youtube commentators mention that the battle portrayed in the trailer is a fictional battle from the "Romance of the Three Kingdoms" novels and not actual history.

Here's one such video where the commentator mentions all these factors. He's not unhappy about it if it turns out that way, but he admits that it could really piss off the real history fans.

I guess we'll see.

Cheers

#4400282 - 01/16/18 12:13 PM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So will the units on the battle 3D map be speaking Chinese when they are selected or will it be English with a Chinese accent? I really hope it's the former.

#4406682 - 02/22/18 04:27 AM Re: The new main Historical Total War title has finally been announced and it's for fall of 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by Forward Observer
Originally Posted by Nimits

I'm sort of in the same boat. I was hoping for another release somewhere in the gun powder era, but that's just me. From what little reading I have done since this was announced, I seeing that a lot of the current pop culture interest in the period of the Three Kingdoms is really based on pure fiction bordering on fantasy. I'm afraid this could give the developers too much leeway in adding such elements to a game that is supposed to stay historically inspired. Thus, just like Warhammer, they will have overpowered hero units or even worse give some of those heroes mystical powers.

If it turns out that this is in fact based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and other pseudo-historical nonsense, you can count me out.

I could not even stand the ridiculous/fantasy or semi-fantasy animal and female units in R2:TW, (out of which, thankfully, I could opt out) much less a whole game built around that.

Last edited by Nimits; 02/22/18 04:30 AM.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.