Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
#4421668 - 05/19/18 11:41 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! ***** [Re: HeinKill]  
jenrick Offline
jenrick  Offline

Is the ebook version the edited draft? Let us know when it hits Kindle Scout, you've definitely got my vote.

-Jenrick

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4421673 - 05/20/18 01:14 AM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! [Re: jenrick]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted by jenrick
Is the ebook version the edited draft? Let us know when it hits Kindle Scout, you've definitely got my vote.

-Jenrick

The eBook version is the first draft. I'll make sure everyone who helped out along the way here gets a print copy in the mail!

Just found out Kindle shut down the Scout program April 3 2018, so we will have to promote the old fashioned social media route! That will make reviews on Amazon site doubly important...

Cheers

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4421700 - 05/20/18 08:06 AM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! [Re: HeinKill]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Thanks for infos, I was asking because here, it seems that editors are very powerful, and pretty often are deciding of the fate of the book (most probably less/not for famous writers) since there's no real distinction between editor and publisher.

#4421706 - 05/20/18 09:40 AM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! [Re: rollnloop.]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted by rollnloop.
Thanks for infos, I was asking because here, it seems that editors are very powerful, and pretty often are deciding of the fate of the book (most probably less/not for famous writers) since there's no real distinction between editor and publisher.

Agree Dan Brown probably has a bit more power over his final draft than a lot of authors, especially first time authors. But a good editor is worth listening to because as the author you get lost in your world and the chapter you spent the most time on might be exactly the one that should be cut.

Then again I once had an editor (at Pan MacMillan, so he probably knew what he was talking about) say in essence 'the plot and characters are excellent it just needs to be completely rewritten before resubmitting' which isn't exactly a motivating piece of feedback. I never did resubmit that one.

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4421724 - 05/20/18 01:50 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! [Re: HeinKill]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Ah well harry potter was reportedly refused several times too smile

#4423971 - 06/01/18 03:56 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Hi all, just an update. Plugging along with the rewrite. You will find the main change is in character depth, not plot.

Thought I would copy you on some of the editor’s verbatim feedback...

“Plot is fast-paced, packed with action and suspense. The plot is well structured and kept me guessing. Though the book does end rather abruptly.

Prose: Prose is a little flat but effective and appropriate to the story.

Originality: Feels fairly realistic and original. While some elements may be familiar to genre fans, there is a lot to like here.

Character Development: The development of the characters is the book's main weakness; the players feel flat and are rendered with too much telling and not enough showing. We hear what they are thinking but can’t ‘see’ it and don’t feel it. We need more detail on them to care about them.

Concentrate your next draft on this element and on achieving a ‘smoother landing’ in last chapter.”

[Linked Image]
#4424071 - 06/01/18 10:33 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Rodriguez and O'hare would benefit the most of character development, if there is to be a serie.

The others are pretty OK to me, they didn't feel flat, and I cared very much about most.

#4424078 - 06/01/18 11:15 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The family connection between the ambassador and Bondarev felt a bit too much of a lucky coincidence, I must confess. I could imagine that expanding a little on how it happened etc. could soften the impression of a forced personal connection of people who most likely would otherwise never get to know each other. Does the GRU even know about this? Wouldn't this be considered a compromise of his reliability? Or does the FSB know, but they didn't bother to tell the GRU? Are they pressing Bondarev to become their informer, or else they will tell the GRU and shut down his career?

This could be introduced very early, without revealing who exactly that American girl was. Drop her first name, so the clue is there, but not enough to immediately make the connection until HOLMES delivers it. This might help to provide a bit more depth for Bondarev too, and make make him more relatable. Heck, it could add a bit more depth to the ambassador who still has to deal with her daughter having had a baby from some foreigner who just ran off or whatever her impression is (chance to cue a strainer mother-daughter relationship). While she's trying to help her daughter get her life back on tracks (efforts that may go underappreciated) she's then confronted with a crisis that is much bigger, etc.

#4424139 - 06/02/18 11:16 AM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Good feedback!! Being realistic I will need to push the release back to Q4, but still hope to have it out in time for holidays.

[Linked Image]
#4432614 - 08/02/18 04:59 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
While the manuscript is with the proofreader, have been faffing with the cover...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#4432637 - 08/02/18 08:44 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Nice smile

#4433428 - 08/07/18 02:00 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
Wow.. somehow I just found this thread!! Have been Jonesing for a good new modern Aviation themed read. Surprisingly hard to come by these days... THANKS!!

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4433815 - 08/10/18 08:33 AM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
UR welcome, hope you enjoy ... and when the paperback is avail pls feel free to add it to your library to help out SimHQ!

It is still a firm commitment that 20pc of sales will be donated to support SimHQ...

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4436631 - 08/31/18 09:34 PM Re: Bering Strait novel: getting ready for takeoff! But... [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Another little update...

I just signed a new book deal for another book under my author name of TJ Slee which includes a 'no compete' clause meaning I can't publish any other books under that or previous pen names.

So I'll be going with plain old Fred Williams for this one! Doesn't sound very technthrillery though does it. Should I use my middle name (Xavier?)

F WILLIAMS

FRED WILLIAMS

FX WILLIAMS

F Xavier Williams???

Hmmmmm

Can't go with Frederick, only my mother calls me that!

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4437337 - 09/05/18 03:40 PM Proof copy arrived. One step closer to launch! [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Remember, you can download the ebook free here before launch! Send the link to your m8s!

https://dl.bookfunnel.com/g4fdazides

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
#4437450 - 09/06/18 07:40 AM Re: It's (nearly) here! Proof copy of AAR based Bering Strait arrived! [Re: HeinKill]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
Fred H Williams , as a wink to your simming activity ? cheers

#4442350 - 10/05/18 07:19 PM New professional review! 5 stars! [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Getting closer. Have been sending book out to different places to garner reviews. Got the first one back from 'Readers Favorite' which can be leveraged when the book goes live on Amazon!

[Linked Image]

Review Rating: 5 Stars - Congratulations on your 5-star review!

Appearance: 4
Development: 5
Formatting: 5
Marketability: 5
Overall Opinion: 5

Reviewed By Anne-Marie Reynolds for Readers’ Favorite

Bering Strait by FX Williams is a thriller. It is 2031 and a new cold war between America and Russia is starting. Perri Tungyan is a Yup’ik fisherman, just 17 years old. He lives on Saint Lawrence Island in the Bering Strait and, as he awaits the weekly shopping drone at the Gambell airstrip, he notices several specks in the sky. These loom larger and larger, identifying as aircraft, and Perri suddenly realizes that he is the only one who knows what is happening. Russia has started to take control of the Strait. Russian ships move in to block the entrance and exit to the Strait and a no-fly zone is imposed over Western Alaska. The lives of eight people are about to be turned upside down as Armageddon approaches.

When I started reading Bering Strait by FX Williams, I found it a bit slow going and didn’t think I would be able to get into it but, wow, it soon picks up the pace and becomes impossible to put down. The action is intense and the plot unique. There are plenty of twists and turns to keep the reader on their toes and keep their attention while it soars along at a fast pace. The characters are developed nicely throughout the story, each having their own part to play and meshing with one another seamlessly. You soon begin to empathize with them and they are a likeable bunch of people too. This story is unmissable and slightly scary because it isn’t set very far in the future and, given recent world events, isn’t out of the realms of possibility. Great story, highly recommended for those who want a tight, gripping tale to lose themselves in.

(So that's nice!)

[Linked Image]
#4442424 - 10/06/18 01:22 AM Re: New professional review! 5 stars! [Re: HeinKill]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Good show mate.

You got that reviewer "excited" with the girls in the cave!

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4442449 - 10/06/18 05:35 AM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) [Re: HeinKill]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I still hate that Perri died in the end. That was a good move. But still, I hate it.

#4442482 - 10/06/18 12:54 PM Re: New 'advance copy review' of BERING STRAIT just in (drum roll...) [Re: Ssnake]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted by Ssnake
I still hate that Perri died in the end. That was a good move. But still, I hate it.

I know, I know. I tried a few different endings including nuclear armageddon. Or Hollywood ending with Rodriguez and O’Hare bursting out of their redoubt Butch Cassidy style and being gunned down by Bondarev. Or both ending in a Russian POW camp. In one version Bondarev was captured then shot Rodriguez and took O’Hare prisoner. Or... but it was a war, so someone had to sacrifice. Ended up being Perri and Dave and Zubkhov (and his buddies).

[Linked Image]
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.