Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 541 of 608 1 2 539 540 541 542 543 607 608
#4395015 - 12/15/17 05:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The weather here is sunny today. The temp is 41°F./5°C. The humidity is 63%. The average high for today is 55°F. and it has rained on this date 16 times out of 30 in the past 30 years. The record low was 16°F. in 2010. OK, I hear you yawning LeRoy. No one cares about our weather but me, or should for that matter. smile

Christmas is coming fast. Santy has likely made his list and will soon be checking it once more. I suppose it will be the same for me this year. I have not hung up my big sock. Remember last year the health department made me take it down. I'll have to get a proper stocking or Santa will just lay my coal and switches on the floor. I know that from experience. He has a long memory does this ancient fellow. He seems to remember the time I had to fire a Santa a week before Christmas. What could I do? The guy hiccuped more than he Ho-Hoed. I've told that story before. I even left a note one year explaining I had no use for coal. The jolly old elf ignored my sincere request for Penelope Cruz and left another pile of coal and an extra large bunch of switches anyway.

The reason that Santa gives coal to naughty kiddos and me is… wait for it… actually it’s not very clear. There’s not a concrete date that people started associating Santa Claus with coal, but there is evidence that the idea of giving coal to bad kids existed long before our modern idea of Santa Claus was born.

A number of cultures have their own variations of a mythological gift-giver at Christmas, and many of them have a punitive component to their holiday stories and that is, good kids get gifts, and bad ones are punished with coal, other undesirable objects, and, much worse stuff. For example, near Epiphany in early January, Italian children receive visits from a witch known as “La Befana,” who flies around on a broom and gets into people’s homes via chimneys and keyholes. Kids who have been good get candy and small toys in their stockings, while naughty ones get coal.

In this day and age, where the heck does Santa find coal anyway? And since I guess there must be more than a few "naughty" children around, where does he carry all that coal in that beautiful sleigh of his? Wouldn't frozen reindeer crap be easier to find? I once put chocolate covered peanuts in a small plastic bag and labeled it reindeer shi*. Then I inserted it in my hand drawn Christmas card and sent it to a pal who had recently annoyed me. As Hagrid so often observed to Harry Potter, "I shouldn't ah done that." winkngrin

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4395040 - 12/15/17 07:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Chaps...

Just about finished the Swallow and will be receiving a Cessna laser-cut kit sometime after Christmas. The disused 1943 RAF airfield of Templeton is just up the road about 6 miles away - much nearer than I thought. The club is Haverfordwest MAC and Haverfordwest is about 20 miles away. That gave me the wrong impression about the location. Templeton is where they meet and fly their models. It has an electric motor, servo and prop included for £62, (wingspan 3' 3" ) which will explain why the kit has proved to be quite popular.

Must get that email off to you Rog in a couple of days with a few pics attached.

I will be staying in the area for Christmas same as last year. Friends have kindly invited me to dine at various family gatherings which will give the break some meaning.

Yesterday I found a pic of a WW11 aircraft which I would have confidently claimed that the 8th USAAF never got to fly! It showed a Westland Lysander of the G&TT target tug unit at Atcham in 1944 in the company of a P47D. In a lifetime of aviation interest I have never seen a 'Lizzie' sporting US ID.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4395049 - 12/15/17 08:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Gresons Seetings Dux.

Gongrats on finishing the glider. Do, please, send us a photo. You must be proud of her. Fly her with confidence. If you do fly her, what you've built, you can also repair. smile My son is flying his big drone after dark now because it is quite dark when he gets home from work. The other night he was flying it over a big field doing rolls and loops and other aerobatics with all its lights blazing. He noticed a car pull up some distance away. It sat there for a time before turning off its headlights. My son ignored it and continued to fly at higher altitude. Finally he was cold and numb and hungry so he landed the drone, picked it up and started for the house.

Then he remembered the visitor. It turned out to be a deputy sheriff. Apparently, some distant onlooker had called in a UFO report. Realizing what was going on the deputy had turned off his lights and watched the show from a distance. Now my son has a new friend and the one who reported the UFO must have been terribly disappointed.

Last night my son was flying the drone at top speed away from him. He watched in dismay as it hit the top of a very tall but invisible tree and tumbled down to the ground. He just knew it must be a pile of rubbish as he about 2 football fields length to get to the wreckage. To his great surprise and delight, the drone was intact and unharmed. May you be as lucky with uncontrolled flight. Flying at the beach or at the airfield should avoid greedy plane grabbing trees of course but winds, up and down drafts are fickle.

We don't need your Brit Lysanders anymore, we get ours from Canada. wink Yes indeedy, we have our own. Attached is a photo of the Lysander llla at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum. Strange markings for a US plane though. Actually, I have never seen a Lysander with US markings either. Some sort of liaison aircraft perhaps. Weren't they used a lot to drop spies behind enemy lines or in occupied Europe during WW 2?

Attached Files Westland Lysander llla Smithsonian  (660 x 405).jpg

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4395147 - 12/16/17 05:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Clouds rolled in yesterday afternoon. We had a cold night but the sun is out again today and it is warming.

Dux:

I've been looking at the air museum photos taken in Canada in 2015. I do not remember and cannot see in any of the photos a Lysander. Here are three photos I took of their flying Lank.

Attached Files Canadian Lank (684 x 384).jpgCanadian Lank 2 (640 x 360).jpgCanadian Lank 3 (640 x 360).jpg
Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 12/16/17 05:45 PM.

#4395153 - 12/16/17 06:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Here is something I need help remembering. duh Whatzit? I was thinking bombsite or camera.What do you say?🧐

Attached Files CanadianWhatzit.jpg

#4395281 - 12/17/17 11:32 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
JRT,

Can't help you with that I'm afraid. Tried to cheat by reading the plaque but too indistinct!

Aaah yes...trees have a mysterious attraction for model aircraft of all types. Nice Lanc pics. Mine are similar pics of the one at Coningsby in Lincolnshire. I will include that Lizzie photo when I email you this week. It is just a narrow strip illustration but quite plain to see.

The Lysander was initially designed for Army Cooperation duties but suffered in France 1940. Also served as a squadron hack and on general communications duties and more valuably for dropping and picking up SOE agents in France later in the war.
I spoke to a Lizzie pilot who was forced down during the Battle of France by Bf110s who had lined up three abreast behind him. As he and his observer scrambled from the plane and ran for cover they were strafed by one of the three 110s. They only just made it. He could see rounds hitting the ground in front of him as he ran. One of them took the little finger off his right hand...close!! He didn't go back for it! eek

The Germans had a similar aircraft the Henschel 126 which had comparable duties to perform in all the theatres of war which they were engaged in.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4395296 - 12/17/17 02:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

A bit of snow fell last evening and meant that the ground was covered with a fine layer of white fluff this morning.

Roger; I have no idea what that object is but, based on the assumption that it looks like it is resting on a map, perhaps something to do with navigation?

Yesterday was the centenary birthday of one of the 20th century's great scientific philosophers and visionaries; Sir Arthur C. Clarke. Envisioning the coming of satellites in geosynchronous orbit and foretelling the advent of communications and TV-broadcasts via relays in space, you could also say he was the first to foresee Earth turning into a global village. During the war, Clarke was a boffin, working on the development of Radar adapted to helping aircraft land in low to zero visibility.

I have always been slightly disappointed that the satellites that we have developed did not require telecommunications technicians to blast off in the Pan Am clipper or equivalent, to perform regular on-location service and repairs.

It is also remarkable that this year, an oblong, cigar shaped object originating form outside the solar system has now appeared in, and is visiting the system of Sol. Perhaps the Ramans are finally arriving? "Earthlings, you failed to find the monolith that we hid on the dark side of the moon. You will now be terminated!" Or is it the mothership to all those UFO's that have been buzzing Earth for the last hundred years?

And if Amazon's Alexa, Google Home and Apple's Siri could be modded with the sound of Douglas Rains' voice, and a few extra skills and tricks as well, we could be seeing the birth of HAL Jr.

"Alexa! Open the pod bay doors please!"

/Wooooooshhh; - as Mcgonigle is sucked from the keyboard and ejected into space by the ensuing vacuum.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4395325 - 12/17/17 05:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Only partly sunny skies here this morning. Our temp is 44°F. at 11:15 AM. No threat of snow that I know about. Temps are expected to be in the low to mid sixties F. next week. Right up to Christmas Day when the temp is predicted to be a cooler 48°F./9°C but that is perhaps too far out to be considered accurate. It has rained 21 out of 30 days in the last 30 years here on Christmas Day. Record snowfall 0.15 in. (1989). Average snowfall, barely a trace 0.01 in. I am not, therefore, planning to be able to go sleigh riding on Christmas Day this year. The record low temp for Christmas Day is 5°F. (1989).That was the frigid Christmas my dear son got a Go Cart. Good lord, it was cold outside riding that thing. Most of my time was spent trying to find the right cuss word to make it start.

Dux:

Thanks for trying to read that. I tried too. I will run the photo through LightRoom or Photoshop and see if I can bring out more details in the plaque or something. Yes, do send pix of the Lanc as well. I'll be looking for them. Thanks also for more details about the Lysander. I wonder if it would have made a good "Bush Plane" if Canadian civilians could get their hands on any surplus aircraft after the war? I will LYK if I ever figure out what that mysterious item is.

MG:

Thanks for looking at the whatsit. If you figure it out LMK.

An excellent, delightfully interesting and well written post, my friend. Is it 2001 already? What's that LeRoy? It is 2017! Really? As the fellow just hit in the head by an alarm clock observed, "How time flies." Well then, 2017, almost 2018, it is indeed high time we got off our rumps and went back to the moon and looked for that obelisk. Oh, right. The Prez has just directed NASA to go back to the moon this past week. Now, thanks to MG reminding us, we know why. Wait.... the Prez didn't actually mean for ALL of NASA to go to the moon, did he? I mean, the whole staff and every man jack of them? Kinda like Ralph Cramden telling poor Alice he was "One of these days Alice, Wham-zoom" send her to the moon. That would take a pretty big rocket to take NASA to the moon.

Perhaps he thinks NASA is redundant since Elon Musk founded Space X in 2002? That seems to be successfully managing to reuse expensive rockets and travel back and forth regularly to the space station. Maybe the Prez has invested some time looking into Space X and sees a great potential for huge financial profits without the redundant NASA siphoning off taxpayer's hard earned cash? Cash that could be far better used repaying wealthy Republican congressional donors for their largess. Naw, certainly not. Why, we all know, going to the space station is one thing but to the moon? That is quite another. Wait again. The Prez didn't tell Mr. Musk to go to the moon, just NASA. winkngrin

#4395447 - 12/18/17 04:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Our temp at 11 AM is 51°F./11°C. At the moment we enjoy a full and warming sun

We eagerly await the prompt and safe return of amateur spaceman MG. He surely must return to get his spacesuit. If you recall his last post, he seemed to be enjoying an impromptu EVA, courtesy of HAL. Being so forcefully drawn out those pod bay doors in just his long johns surely must have sucked.... wink

One thing is becoming clear with homes becoming stuffed with those personal assistants... take care in what you say around them. Personally, I think Amazon's is slightly the better one of all. And I must take care to say this word quietly....

FX: A stage whisper: "Alexa"...

FX: Normal voice: ... would never open anyone's pod bay doors without irrefutable assurance it was safe to do so. Meaning you had no more money to spend. In fact, Google Home probably would not open those doors unless it had called home first and was given the high sign it had gotten all the information its master would ever want to know about you.

I too am very sad that there turned out to be no need for highly trained and paid NASA space technicians to repair satellites on a regular basis. There goes 6 years of Arthur C. Clark Memorial Academy Correspondence School satellite repair lessons for nothing. winkngrin

#4395462 - 12/18/17 05:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Mild and sunny today 54f. Clear this evening but very cold and still.

Don't talk to me about Alexa. I had a friend's 8 year old daughter over here for a few days about 6 weeks ago and all we got for most of the time was Alexa this and Alexa that...Couldn't get near the PC.

JRT,

Congrats on your 5000! I'll have to watch my six. winkngrin

Manfred von Richtofen

#4395469 - 12/18/17 05:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:💻

No one, no thing should ever come between any man and his beloved computer! 😖 So her name was Alexa? Unfortunate for her and more so if her folks ever buy an Alexa from Amazon. Every time they call her name Alexa will wake up. It might have been worse for her. If her name was Shutup like me.

I was a mouthy kid. Everyone said shaddup! to me so much that I thought Shutup was my real name until I was 8. 😏

MG:🚴

I hope you are still enjoying excellent winter weather as Dux and I are. Technically, it is still fall but the season designation is often not quite in sync with the actual weather. You might certainly agree due to last summer's weather.

#4395534 - 12/18/17 11:52 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I've received a notice from Steam that "Cliffs of Dover-Blitz" the Team Fusion version is now a free download to those who have the original game. Dux, I don't know if you ever found your password or whatever kept you from getting your copy off Steam. There are a few videos on YouTube that show the latest version in action. It looks better but not not up to the standards of the latest couple of sims. You can probably get the original sim on Amazon for a few bucks. I remember paying $5 for mine. The AI in this sim does not compare with that in BoB. And there are more less flattering comparison. However COD did run with Win 10 and BoB will not.

Here are the details listed in the announcement including some new aircraft:

Flyable:

Bf-109E-1B (early Fighter-Bomber)
Bf-109E-4N (DB601N engine and 100 octane fuel)
Bf-109E-4/E-4B and E-4N versions with added armor for fuel tank and pilot
Bf-110C-2
Bf-110C-4_Late
Bf-110C-4B (early Fighter-Bomber)
Bf-110C-4N (DB601P engines with 100 octane fuel)
Bf-110C-4NJG (Nightfighter)
Bf-110C-6 (heavy 30mm Cannon armed version)
BlenheimMkIV_Late (twin gun rear turret and extra bombload)
BlenheimMkIVF (heavy Day-Fighter)
BlenheimMkIVF_Late (twin gun rear turret and extra bombload)
BlenheimMkIVNF (Nightfighter)
BlenheimMkIVNF_Late (twin gun rear turret and extra bombload)
Spitfire Mk-I-100 octane
Hurricane DH-520-100 octane
HurricaneMkI-NF (Night-fighter)
Hurricane MkI-FB (Fighter-Bomber)
Beaufighter Mk IF
Beaufighter Mk INF (Night-fighter)
DH-82A-1 (Field Mod armed Tiger Moth)
DH-82A-2 (Czechoslovakian armed Tiger Moth)
DH-82A (Battle of Britain Tiger Moth version with bomb carrying capacity)

Non-flyable:

Sunderland added bomb capacity
BlenheimMkIF (heavy Day-Fighter)
BlenheimMkINF (Night-fighter)

Maps

- New Autumn and Winter Maps
- New Textures, trees, hedges, runways and terrain for all maps
- Perspective from altitude corrected to provide accurate views of rivers and terrain
- Additional historical landmarks
- Additional spline road types & more cow types for Full Mission Builder
- Elimination of original map bugs including:
- "Swimming Pools" in France
- Non- historical golf courses changed to farming.
- Dull water off Querqueville, dry rivers at Le Havre, Bradwell, and Barneville
- Airfield 'holes' at Hawkinge, Melville, Coquelles, Westhampnett, and Lympne flattened
- Added missing hangers to various French Airdromes

Codework

- Game upgraded to 64 bits and DX11
- Tree collisions enabled
- Distant Clouds enabled, 'Popup' effects reduced
- Contrails enabled
- Target dot view through cloud bug eliminated
- Game controllers naming change to address the Windows 10 re-ordering issue
- Rendering optimizations to increase FPS
- Reduced crash generating bugs.

Sound

- Updated existing aircraft engine sounds to historically accurate sound SFX
- Added Hercules engine SFX
- Added DB601N engine SFX
- Updated MG and cannon SFX including new Hispano and Mk-101
- Updated Explosion and hit SFX
- Added new flak sounds
- Added new day/night environmental ambience

Ships

- New Corvette, Tanker and Hospital ship types
- More accurate ship damage modeling

Aircraft Visibility

- Close and Distant aircraft visibility improved to provide more realistic combat environment
- Elimination of the 'Disappearing Aircraft' bug

Reflections

- Added reflections from the sky and clouds to all aircraft surfaces
- Added reflections to canopy glass surfaces.
- Lowered the whitening effect from sun reflections in the propeller.
- Increased reflectiveness for distant glass surfaces to improve spotting

Cockpit Graphics

- Countless historically accurate improvements and additions to aircraft cockpit graphics

Blackout Effects

Hi-G Blackout effects revised to reflect actual pilot experience
Aircraft Skins

- New historically accurate skins for all aircraft types

Visual Effects

- Updated smoke/explosion particle effects
- Updated weapon particle effects
- Updated engine/vehicle particle effects
- Updated environmental particle effects

Flight Modeling and Aerodynamics

- All aircraft types have historically more accurate aerodynamics including:

- Aerofoil characteristics corrected to historical
- More accurate aircraft dimensions and control surface operation
- Lift, Drag and Stall behavior improved
- Hi-speed Compressibility effects on maneuver introduced

Engine and Overheat modeling

- Engine physics revised to give accurate horsepower generation throughout the altitude range
- Overheat and engine wear provide full range of engine damage from player mis-use

Weapons Modeling

- All weapons types checked for accuracy and historical effectiveness
- AI gunner bugs eliminated

Damage Modeling

- Comprehensive damage revision of all aircraft types to reflect their construction and to provide more realistic combat results
- Maximum Aircraft G loading introduced

AI Aircraft Behaviour

- All AI aircraft types Flight/Damage and Engine modeling upgraded to Flyable standards
- AI Landing and Takeoff bugs eliminated

Player controlled Vehicles and AAA Artillery

- Many Vehicles and Artillery now can be player controlled

Game loading Screens

- New Hi definition game loading screens

Printable Extras

- Air Force bases of CLIFFS OF DOVER - detailed maps of the battle area
- Working German World War 2 mechanical flight computer, the Dreieckrechner DR-3

Forum discussion can be found here:

ATAG/TF: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27243&p=293324#post293324

1CGS: https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/32881-discussion-about-clodblitz-launch-and-announcement/

#4395538 - 12/19/17 12:21 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

If anyone is interested in IL2 COD Blitz, here is a link to a good video of combat showing the AI in action. Not very aggressive say I. Not like I remember to my discomfort in BoB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ7-Eexvqew

#4395611 - 12/19/17 02:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Cold but mostly sunny rules this Tuesday so far. Presently the temp is 42°F./6°C.

Christmas is just days away and the kids are restless. The stockings are hung and apparently Santa may be too if certain little people around here don't get certain things. I think they are bluffing but you never know.

A friend who lives on a big farm reports he has a Christmas mouse stirring about that the dogs can't catch. He has seen the little rodent impudently looking at him form the corner of his living room and night before last from the center of the room. 🐭

Apparently afraid the contrary little mouse might still be stirring on Christmas Eve night when the prancing and pawing up on the roof starts, the guy was reported to be sitting in his recliner last night before his big screen TV. He was holding a 12# shotgun loaded with mustard shot. I understand that the savvy rodent did not make an appearance. Christmas at his farm may start with a BANG this year. For some reason, I hope he misses. winkngrin

Merry Christmas to all. 🎅🏻

#4395701 - 12/19/17 06:45 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

JRT, did not wanted to impede your having the whole page to yourself, but did want to thank you and McG for the news on Blitz.
I think I will add it as a Christmas present to my list. Hopefully I can enjoy it assuming the apparent short on the computer's sound system is isolated and fixed.
I am blaming it for frying a couple of ear-sets. Well, the system is over four years old, but that's no excuse.

No Sir, I have never had to mess with a radiator control before, and have very little time with tail-draggers, but we'll see how it goes.
The setup will have to be after Christmas as I have yet to complete the before birthdays and Christmas checklist had I written one out.

I am assuming the mustard shot is comparable to what is called snake-shot here? I keep a small box of it around, but it's in .22 LR caliber.
Or is it just small birdshot?

Surely we will get another chance to wish all a Merry Christmas, but just in case: Merry Christmas, all!
{The spirit is dampened here, having lost a best friend (mentioned here before) shortly after Thanksgiving.}

#4395723 - 12/19/17 08:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Safely returned to Earth after my brief space flight, in time to wish you all, in no particular order; Fittop, OG, Dux, PV, Roger, and less frequent guests as well as readers a Very Happy, Jolly Christmas!

My trip to space didn't quite take me out to the space cigar, which apparently is not emitting any interesting radio noises according to latest research,yet, at least, but it did take me to the future, and to Jupiter. Or rather, it took me to where Jupiter used to be.

Like the time traveller in H.G. Wells' The Time machine, I rode a strange contraption to a future some few hundred years from now, the thing designed and built by my ancient ancestor, the eccentric who invented the steam powered rocket ship which he incidentally never got to work due to the steam not reaching the high temperatures required of it to exit the rocket engine as ionised plasma. But evidently the time machine worked ok because I found it hidden away in an attic on the old family estate, which after a brief spell as hospital, Military HQ and massage parlour during both wars had fallen into decrepitude, recently being owned by a self-made billionaire in the industry of popular music and so-called talent shows.

So on the off-chance that in fifty or a hundred hundred years from now, someone might come across this post in this very thread, in time to avoid the catastrophe, I'll tell you here's what happend:

Don't mine Jupiter for precious gasses and materials because the result will be the cessation of Jupiter as a planet in the solar system and as a consequence, the increase in meteor showers falling to Earth will increase hundred-fold and thus bring upon our little rock, climate change that will surpass anything experienced before. It might even be, that the apes won't be able to take over, after such continued strikes.

On a more day-today matter, I was under the impression, false I now see, that the Wellington was a flyable in Il-2 CloD. I don't know where I got that impression from, but in the release list, reproduced a few posts previously, I can see that it is clearly not amongst flyables.

Last edited by McGonigle; 12/19/17 08:12 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4395765 - 12/19/17 11:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks:

Fittop:⛄️

I think Blitz is more a patch for the original sim than what those TF boys have usually been up to. They are getting paid for this work. It does allow you to do quite a bit of the check list. If, however, you want a true-to-life digital simulation, may I refer you to DCS World. They have all kinds of planes from WW2 to current fighters, commercial heavies, and even private aviation. There is combat but I do not think they have all the specific terrain maps worked out. They didn't the last time I looked. For instance, I woud have been taking off in a Spitfire from a modern airfield in NJ from which to have areal combat with a BF 109. They also have a lovely F86 I'd like to fly. I have never seen more detailed modelling of controls or aircraft. I think you fly free but must purchase the aircraft you fly. From the YouTube videos I've seen, it looks like just about every control is player adjustable.

Thank you my friend. As for my reaching the lofty heights of 5,000 posts, I am remiss if I did not also thank Dux for taking note of it even before I did. He is still ahead of me. I have been a long time getting there. You guys can line up if you wish to kiss my... ring. 🤴🏻

Gentlemen, it has been and continues to be a true privilege posting here with you. "We few" have kept SNAFU's Flame Free HWH going almost into its seventeenth year. Whooda thunk it. Not SNAFU, I bet. I hope he is watching and is justifiably proud of his thread and of you folks who post and those who just read.

MG🚀 👨🏽‍🚀

So glad you got back into your ship. Did you get close-up snaps of that oddly shaped visitor from another galaxy? Thank you for including us all in your holly day salutation. A very Merry Christmas to you, sir. glædelig jul. 🎄

I am sure we are all pleased you survived your space walk uninjured. They seem to think the space cigar might contain alien water. If there are any aliens in there too and if they have been peeing since they left home, I'd expect there is quite a lot of "water" in there from that alone.

That was some genius ancestor you have. He must have been brilliant indeed. Mining one of those big gas planets might be very dangerous. The gravity alone would be a challenge. Perhaps some sort of big scoop arrangement on the front of your time machine might work? Personally, having grown up around several rather proudly flatulent individuals, I've always thought we had more than enough gas on Earth.

You've seen the future. Other than seeing 12- year- olds use the most modern technology like it was second nature, I have not. Don't worry about the monkeys if those space rocks do pile up. Worry about your pocketbook. Won't the bigger Earth hurt property values quite a lot? Do not invest in real estate, apparently there will be more land made after all. winkngrin

As I understand it, "Blitz" is not a mod as CLOD is."Blitz" is not CLOD but a patch that will bring all the stuff I posted about to plain COD. You need the original COD game. CLOD is bigger and adds even more but is harder to manage. Probably the Wellington is flyable in CLOD. Check out the info on Team Fusion's website. The developers of CLOD are more like the BDG those members who created Blitz are being paid for their effort.

#4395883 - 12/20/17 04:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Rain and clouds rule this Wednesday around these parts. The temp is 55°F/13°C. The record high for this date was 68°F. The average high is 53°F. In the past 30 years it has rained 18 out of 30 times on this date. Sleigh bells haven't rung much around here on the 20th day of December. Our record snowfall was in 2000 when we received 0.12 inches. If that hasn't bored you enough wait a bit and I'll type out excerpts from the yellow pages of the year 2000 phone book. I wonder how many people still have land lines in their homes?

I remember when I was growing up our phone was a big, black thing with a rotary dial. One thing about it, you could rely upon it to work. I cannot ever remember having anyone out to service it. There was no glass to crack, no plug to break or fill with fluff from a pocket. Just try and put one of those in any pocket you have. The signal was always the same, no bars to worry about. The only notifications that woke you or irritated you by disturbing dinner time were telemarketers and they were never a problem for us back then.

Nobody had a contacts list unless it was on some kind of Rolodex. There was the phone book that was delivered to your door if you forgot or didn't know someone's number. Does anyone remember party lines? I do. We had one for a very short time until a private line was available. Cords were a minor problem. Until cordless phones came along, you were tethered to it when you used the phone. Then longer, coiled cords came to be. I could stretch that cord all the way out of the house if I needed more privacy. My son learned to do the same when he was dating. His generation is probably the last that even remembers rotary dial phones.

I can remember falling asleep talking to a girlfriend on several occasions. That was with one of those old Bakelite receivers cradled in my pillow against my shell-like. We'd wake up and continue talking until one or both dropped off again. I suppose that still happens with teens using today's cell phones too. No, they would likely use ear buds, a Bluetooth device in one ear or some other gadget I haven't heard of these days.

One of these days Jens will invent something else so he won't have to carry the extra weight of a phone on cross country bike rides. It might be in the form of a do-it-yourself implant ( for the bravest souls) or it could be a swallowed Bluetooth device, one obviously with a limited lifespan (hopefully only for the device). Doctors already use tiny camera capsules that way. This capsule-like communication device might be reusable by those bikers less skatologically squeamish. How do you feel about that Jens? Clearly you have sprung from an inventive bloodline that would seem to promise great potential. 😊 🚴🏻 💊

The supposed alien probe has apparently ignored us and is now or soon will be speeding away from us. If it monitored and understood our TV, radio and/or cell phone traffic, it may even speed up quite a bit... winkngrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 12/20/17 04:42 PM. Reason: Danged Emojis have revolted

#4396032 - 12/21/17 03:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Welcome back to the 3rd rock, McG. and to the pre-Christmas bustle.

JRT, I have some modules from the DCS group, but not the Normandy or WWII bunch.
Somewhere between Flight Simulator, Combat FS and DCS, I had decided I had done enough checklists, take a break for a bit and just wanted to tongue-touch clouds, roll on my back and penetrate a cloud deck through a sun-dog without worrying about stone-hard cotton puffs.

I have enjoyed it, doing minimal checklists; but I know I need to get back to doing it right and study systems and checklists though. My background demands it. We'll see if I can manage having fun without turning it into too much work. There is still plenty about flying I would like to learn.

Ahh, those rotary phones and phone booths. You quickly learned that in a New York winter, it was best to save some nickels and dimes and scout a phone booth inside a store.
My favorite one was in a drugstore, where if you were considerate of other customers, they would let you talk to your girlfriend as long as your stash of coins lasted.
That eliminated the at-home privacy issue where your sister couldn't hear you and no one was asking if you were done with your homework and had finished the dishes.

I think that's when I learned how to do some cooking, but Sis could always come up with a scheme to make me end up washing dishes too.

Not even sure if we had a house phone at the time. I do remember putting one in at fourteen when I assured the phone company I had a job and could afford a house phone.
Also remember having to put a lock on it so my sister wouldn't use all my minutes with her chatty friends.
Yes Sir, it wasn't until I left the city that i learned most of the country did not pay phone-time by the minute.

It was useless, she managed to figure out how to defeat it and cheat me out of time so I always had to pay extra even with my minimal use.
It figures, she became a lawyer.

#4396045 - 12/21/17 03:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A cold but sunny day this Winter Solstice Day. Get ready for a long winter's night my friends. The Earth rotates the Sun on a tilt - at an angle of 23.5 degrees. This tilt gives us our seasons and, twice a year, our solstices. The sun reaches its most northerly latitude, over the Tropic of Cancer on this first winter day. From this point the days begin to grow longer again. All this typed for reader's benefit for most of us already knew all that.

Fittop:

Yes, unlike my Canadian pal C51 who craves realism to the nth degree he can squeeze out of a sim , I have always set my combat sims to require more aerobatic skills than dexterity and memory skill in the cockpit. No doubt I have missed many submersive joys in doing so but, like you, I am a virtual combat pilot who is more interested in the actual fun of combat than the hard work of engine management.

You would know more than I ever will about the hard work of flying. I have watched real WW2 military training films on YouTube for such advanced prop fighters as the F4U. Frankly, from what I saw that was required just to get that beast off the ground much less keep it flying, I am surprised there was a single moment when the over stressed pilot could find the time for combat or keep the thing flying during combat.

I knew about many homes in Philly having pay meters attached to their TVs in the sixties long before we had cable TV here. I did not know about pay by the minute phone calls in NY City however until I read your post. Your sister is a legal councilor, eh. Well, I will overlook that minor flaw and still consider you a friend, sir. winkngrin

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE 🎄

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 12/21/17 03:58 PM. Reason: the problem came after the word's "sub" part

Page 541 of 608 1 2 539 540 541 542 543 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.