Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4398971 - 01/09/18 12:48 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Yeah, there's all kinds of contradictions and continuity issues if you dig too deeply. I think they tried to address it by making it so that Quigon was the first to figure it out, then Obiwan and Yoda learned from him. That doesn't explain Anakin figuring it out, though, unless they can teach any Jedi who's died, and then it goes back to wondering why they didn't all start hanging out, trolling the Emperor, etc.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4398992 - 01/09/18 02:58 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The Sith were well known for their Force firewalls.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4399025 - 01/09/18 11:44 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
This is the part where I now say "It's a fantasy entertainment genre so it can't stand up to very close scrutiny". smile

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4399059 - 01/09/18 02:36 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
You may abandon the (known) laws of nature in Fantasy, but a good story is still internally consistent. All I'm asking for is consistency. When Obi Wan appeared the first time as a ghost - okay, that's a special thing. Maybe he can talk only to Luke. Maybe he can do so only so many times. But then more and more of these ghosts show up, on more and more occasions. That's the point then when you start asking "if there are seemingly no restrictions, why aren't they actually DOING something useful with this, if they are still committed to the fight after their deaths?"

That's not a FS vs Fantasy question. Star Wars clearly is Fantasy, in a space setting with robots.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4399061 - 01/09/18 02:40 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: Ssnake]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake
but a good story is still internally consistent. All I'm asking for is consistency.

This is reasonable but we also need to realize that the Star Wars brand is now owned by a different entity so there are now new writers and producers involved. Inconsistencies with the established lore are bound to happen.

The same thing has happened with Star Trek.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4399098 - 01/09/18 05:35 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Maybe they can only appear to other Jedi, and only talk, so they can't do much more that's useful? I'm sure if someone put some thought into it they could come up with some explanation that works. Until they do something in a movie that ruins *that* explanation... smile

Ken Cartwright

#4399252 - 01/10/18 04:33 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
What would be really neat is if a ghost jedi appeared on one of Rey's shoulders and a sith ghost on the other. Then as she was looking down at Finn towards the end of The Force Awakens," the sith could say "F*** him, f*** his brains out!" biggrin

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4401273 - 01/21/18 10:06 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Took my daughter in law to see this in the Imax cinema in Eindhoven, we had looked online at the 4D experience and booked the tickets to go with the full VIP package, we got shown in and a private elevator to the VIP lounge with complimentary drinks and snacks we sat and chatted while waiting, when it was time the usher came and collected us, let us help ourselves to snacks and drinks to take in to the theatre (complimentary too) then showed us to our seats, they were comfortable leather seats with pockets for snacks and two cup holders each. All set the lights dimmed and the program began we put on our Imax glasses and waited for the earth to move... it didn't ... huh? where was this 4D effect?? There was none, after we cam out we asked about it and they said it was only available in Rotterdam and Amsterdam Imax theatres, we were both very disappointed about it as it was why we were going there and not to the local cinema.

As to the film, it was pin sharp and the subtitles in Dutch stood out clearly from the background, the image and sound quality was superb and the 3D worked well, just for that I would go again, the film it's self felt a lot like ESB and as has been mentioned before a lot of inconsistencies but hey it's Star Wars smile

My daughter in law said I made her feel like a teenager again - she is in her 40s - she had exams that day for college and then going out for a drink and a movie biggrin

Yep for the whole experience I would go and watch it that way again, now we are wondering about if or when we can get to the 4D cinema as there is now one in Antwerp.

The camera on my phone is water damaged.. but here is the VIP lounge in the cinema
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4401278 - 01/21/18 10:41 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Awesome day!
I rarely like 3d and usually avoid it, but it worked here and added to the feeling of scale with the ships in particular.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4401433 - 01/23/18 12:56 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
All I'm asking for is consistency.

[Waves hand]

This is not the movie series you are looking for.

[/waves hand]

There is so much inconsistency in the original trilogy that to say it's needed now for some reason is a bit much.

Han Solo is old enough to know about the Jedi at the height of their power, the Clone Wars, etc., but he acts like he never heard of it. Certainly Chewie knew all about it - even without the prequel stuff, I'm sure he would have mentioned it a time or two to him.

This would be the same as someone in their early 30's back in the 1970's saying "World War Two? Oh, the Nazi's were a myth." Obi Wan wasn't that old, after all.

Luke and Leia are supposed to be twins, but either Luke is the ultimate slacker or his sister is the ultimate achiever, having been a Senator of some merit in the Galactic Empire at the start of New Hope...while Luke had only just tried to apply to the Imperial Academy the year before, only to have to withdraw it due to the need to work the farm.

He also tells Obi that he hates the Empire the same as everyone else. This is like saying "I hate the USA and all it stands for, especially how they bully other nations on the planet with their military machine. Next year I'm going to apply to Annapolis, with the hope of become a fighter pilot!" Damn, Luke, that means you don't like being oppressed, but cotton to the idea of being on the other end of the blaster.

Leia says in the last movie that she "always knew" they were brother and sister. So what was all that kissing and moon faced looks about in the first two films?

It goes on and on...

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4401442 - 01/23/18 03:10 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Dart, I agree with everything you said, but I think that almost all of the inconsistencies came from the movies produced after The Empire Strikes Back. Without those movies, maybe Han could have been young enough when the Republic fell that if the Jedi had been erased from the records by the Empire, he might not have much knowledge about them, just stories. We also wouldn't know Luke and Leia were twins (or even related), and that Chewbaca was around during the Clone Wars.

I always wondered about what Luke was going to join too, and thought it might be sort of a hold-over from the Republic, or maybe just more of some kind of training facility, but was never sure.

Ken Cartwright

#4401451 - 01/23/18 06:11 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Han was never into the Hokus Pokus of Jedis and the Force..He was a Blaster sort of guy and preferred the stand up fight other than magical Force Powers..He knows all about it but to him its not an interest..
When Jedis pass onto a higher dimension the "worldly plane" no longer holds as much meaning as it once was.Being part of the Force now lets them see the Universal balance a lot more clearly.
The Luke/Leia I think was a Lucas thang between a Lost Hope and Empire off memory as he never thought he would be doing a sequel.

#4401465 - 01/23/18 11:52 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Arthonon

I always wondered about what Luke was going to join too, and thought it might be sort of a hold-over from the Republic, or maybe just more of some kind of training facility, but was never sure.

I think that was just a big goof from Lucas that was never addressed. The Rebellion was still in its infancy so there's no way that Luke could have meant going to an academy that was being run by them.

#4401489 - 01/23/18 02:20 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Leia had opportunities that Luke didn’t. She grew up as a statesmans daughter, not a farmer on a backwater planet. If the situations had been reversed, who knows what could’ve happened. Luke wasn’t a slacker, he just didn’t get to show what he could do until he changed his situation. A few days later he was already a fighter pilot, saved a princess, delivered the goods in place of a well known Jedi and was considered a hero. In days and not due to a last name.

Why not join the Academy? It’s not like the rebellion has a similar training facility. Use the Empire for their resources, get training and then go join the rebellion. Wedge did it too, obviously. I doubt the place was strictly military anyway but a universal term, or all of the schools were part of the same university/academy system.

Han didn’t act surprised about the Force stuff in the least. He just didn’t believe it was real. He may have heard of some of Vader’s feats with it but assumed it was by other means or just myths. As a smuggler, he was probably more interested in avoiding Jedi just as a type of law enforcement and never witnessed anything from them. He would’ve been pretty young when the Jedi fell, so it isn’t like he’s had much chance to see anything from what was a fairly secretive organization that didn’t flaunt their powers. He was probably still a little kid during the RotS storyline.

#4401590 - 01/23/18 09:32 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Dont forget young Anakin piloting a Naboo fighter in the "uuugghh" prequal with no training..

#4401702 - 01/24/18 08:15 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Originally Posted by 453Raafspitty
Dont forget young Anakin piloting a Naboo fighter in the "uuugghh" prequal with no training..

Well, he was the only human pod pilot even though he only won his last race.

#4402053 - 01/27/18 02:32 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
And now for your moment of Ultimate Nerdiness:

The frightening truth about Vice Admiral Holdo’s unprecedented tactic
https://www.theringer.com/2017/12/20/16800970/vice-admiral-holdo-maneuver-the-last-jedi/

Ken Cartwright

#4402071 - 01/27/18 08:57 AM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The Holdo maneuver also renders the death star obsolete. You have a veritable planet buster with this (just like any other significant mass impacting a planet at relativistic velocities will convert its ginormous kinetic energy).

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#4403108 - 02/02/18 08:54 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: 453Raafspitty]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA

Or Luke being able to pilot an X-Wing like an Ace right off the bat. He flew some atmospheric aircraft before, but this like saying that since I can pilot a simple biplane I'm ready for the F-16.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4403126 - 02/02/18 10:31 PM Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi - spoilers thread. [Re: Dart]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted by Dart

Or Luke being able to pilot an X-Wing like an Ace right off the bat. He flew some atmospheric aircraft before, but this like saying that since I can pilot a simple biplane I'm ready for the F-16.

I *think* the idea there was that he flew the T-16, which was made by Incom, the same company who made the T-65 X-Wing, so there was a lot of similarity between the two. Also, given the length of time they'd been flying craft like that in their "universe," and with all the technology, I think the controls were the least complicated part of flying, and that it was more around guidance, reaction time, etc., which he would be good at, given his abilities. And yeah, that was nerdy.

Ken Cartwright

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.