Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13
#4394148 - 12/10/17 12:42 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: cichlidfan]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Paradaz
very poor control mapping implementation......and then some new patches force you to clear out the control mapping anyway and start over from fresh.

Wow... so that's still a thing with DCS huh? With him harping about having one UI for control mapping, I was under the impression things have changed....

Originally Posted by cichlidfan
I meant that in terms of the developer, not the customer.

In that case.... I think what the other sims offer in terms of customer base and stable core product (stable in comparison to DCS) would be more than enough to overcome any hesitation due to "being familiar with the DCS environment".... I doubt any of the ED 3rd-party devs are not familiar with any of the other sims anyway.

Btw, I do see a doctor, on a regular basis. He is an ARMA fan and, after seeing a picture of my pit, thinks I am nuts, so no help there. smile

Might be time to go seek a second opinion biggrin

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4394158 - 12/10/17 02:33 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: - Ice]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by - Ice

I meant that in terms of the developer, not the customer.

In that case.... I think what the other sims offer in terms of customer base and stable core product (stable in comparison to DCS) would be more than enough to overcome any hesitation due to "being familiar with the DCS environment".... I doubt any of the ED 3rd-party devs are not familiar with any of the other sims anyway.

Coding for one sim is definitely not the same as coding for another. Though the stability of the other might be attractive. Then, of course, the other sim's customers will also expect a complete product.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4394160 - 12/10/17 03:04 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: cichlidfan]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Coding for one sim is definitely not the same as coding for another. Though the stability of the other might be attractive. Then, of course, the other sim's customers will also expect a complete product.

Indeed, I did not say that coding for both will be the same. However, working with a more stable core platform and catering to a bigger audience or customer base may result in lower overhead or development costs and bigger ROI. With a wider selection of aircraft to choose from and, I would suspect, easier to get permissions from compared to mil aircraft....

- Ice
#4394193 - 12/10/17 07:00 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Paradaz]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

You were trying to make an argument that CEII is good for DCS because you had this one friend.... I was just pointing out the flaws in your argument. If you don't want to be scrutinized, maybe make your statements clearer and make sure your argument supports the point you're trying to make. Stumbling across this exercise then accusing other people of "reading into things" is just hilarious.

See, this is exactly what I mean. You will read into things so that they say what you want them to regardless of what they say. It's alright to be confused about something, but then the correct response to that is to ask for clarification. You bring up some valid points, but they're going to be overshadowed if you keep making strawman arguments.

One last word on the physics model, to make a brick in DCS requires you to actually work out the math for a brick in flight. The 3D model of your aircraft doesn't mean anything, and no this is not a negative compared to XPlane. The only advantage that XPlane has because of it's geometry modeling is plane maker. Your DCS flying brick isn't a brick at all if it flies. It's a plane with brick skin.

Originally Posted by Paradaz

I don’t think DCS would be the best example when using less installs/consistency as an argument when you need 3 very large installs of the same game depending on which terrain/airframe you want to fly due to the split dev streams.

I’d probably go as far as saying the only consistency you have between the 3 installations is the GUI and the very poor control mapping implementation......and then some new patches force you to clear out the control mapping anyway and start over from fresh.

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the ideal of having everything in one sim vs having everything in DCS. DCS at the moment has issues to be resolved, such as the multiple version branches (although it's not necessary to have more than one installed), ATC modeling, map size preventing you from performing some types of flight, etc. Having all of my flight sims in one install would be preferrable, but DCS having just one civil aircraft doesn't make anything obsolete just yet. Given that ED has stated that they don't want to do a world map, XPlane might be viable just for that reason alone. So basically while I'm saying that having everything in one install is preferable, there is no sim that allows this at the moment. Civil aircraft in DCS is a small step in the right direction.

As for the control mapping, I've gotten used to it. The search feature removed a lot of headache. XPlane has a really nice preview of your HOTAS setup, but if I remember from my last use it didn't clearly show all the buttons. Some of the options were ambiguous too, especially viewing options.

#4394195 - 12/10/17 07:26 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Exorcet]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Exorcet
You were trying to make an argument that CEII is good for DCS because you had this one friend.... I was just pointing out the flaws in your argument. If you don't want to be scrutinized, maybe make your statements clearer and make sure your argument supports the point you're trying to make. Stumbling across this exercise then accusing other people of "reading into things" is just hilarious.

See, this is exactly what I mean. You will read into things so that they say what you want them to regardless of what they say. It's alright to be confused about something, but then the correct response to that is to ask for clarification. You bring up some valid points, but they're going to be overshadowed if you keep making strawman arguments.

Sigh..... I wasn't the one making strawman arguments, you were.... by citing that this was a good thing because of your pal that wanted an aerobatics plane. There is no "reading into things" as that was EXACTLY what you said. The confusion does not come from my end.

One last word on the physics model, to make a brick in DCS requires you to actually work out the math for a brick in flight. The 3D model of your aircraft doesn't mean anything, and no this is not a negative compared to XPlane. The only advantage that XPlane has because of it's geometry modeling is plane maker.

Again, you missed my point. Frankly, I've said it at least 3x already so I doubt a fourth time will do the trick, so please just re-read my previous posts.

Your DCS flying brick isn't a brick at all if it flies. It's a plane with brick skin.

Getting warmer.... so if you can have a flying brick in DCS but you CANNOT have a flying brick in XPlane, what does that tell you about the importance of the 3D model and it's effect on the flight model?

Keep in mind that there is a difference between the ideal of having everything in one sim vs having everything in DCS. DCS at the moment has issues to be resolved, such as the multiple version branches (although it's not necessary to have more than one installed), ATC modeling, map size preventing you from performing some types of flight, etc. Having all of my flight sims in one install would be preferrable, but DCS having just one civil aircraft doesn't make anything obsolete just yet.

I think that is exactly what Paradaz is trying to say (apologies to Daz if I am wrong)...... DCS currently cannot even keep itself in one install so I doubt merging even MORE stuff into it will hasten the process.

Given that ED has stated that they don't want to do a world map, XPlane might be viable just for that reason alone. So basically while I'm saying that having everything in one install is preferable, there is no sim that allows this at the moment. Civil aircraft in DCS is a small step in the right direction.

It's a small step in a direction ED really shouldn't be taking.

As for the control mapping, I've gotten used to it. The search feature removed a lot of headache. XPlane has a really nice preview of your HOTAS setup, but if I remember from my last use it didn't clearly show all the buttons. Some of the options were ambiguous too, especially viewing options.

So let's use DCS's version instead? Take a look at XPlane control setup again. This was the case pre-release but it was changed and so far, it recognizes all my buttons clearly.

- Ice
Page 13 of 13 1 2 11 12 13

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.