Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 540 of 608 1 2 538 539 540 541 542 607 608
#4393542 - 12/07/17 03:50 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks,

(Continuation) Mulling over some of these software frustrations that keep us from virtual aviating...(I am using "us" as inclusive of software wonders such as you modders and other intelligent sorts and folks like me at the other extreme called dumbness that would rather plug and play/learn.), I found an article on the MS troubles site which may be useful.

Nothing to do with Firefox and its new furies, but a possible answer to (part) of Windows 10 's nasti, -let's be frank - Bit#@**%ness.
It's a program called "Trusteer (Rapport) End Point Protection". Apparently encouraged and even recommended by some banking institutions and which somehow acts in an invasive manner and blocks, eats, and confuses parts of Windows starting with W 8.1 and continuing to drive some users of Windows10 batty.
There appears to be almost 200 complaints about it and its a likely suspect in my desktop. Yes, there are many other possibilities but this one appears to be a prime subject with the appropriate symptoms: Disappearing Edge, disabled apps that seem to show and then disappear, etc.

The last complain entry was last month. My problem started a year ago. No Sir, not denying it may be a self-made problem.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4393640 - 12/07/17 05:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

As predicted by the more educated Sayers of sooth, our temps dropped into the 30's F. last night. Temps have risen into the 40"s F. at 11:00 AM. Our high for today is predicted to be only 48°F, well down from the 60"s F. yesterday. More 30's F. tonight and getting colder and colder through the weekend. The humidity now is 65%.

It has been suggested by one fine fellow seen on TV squeezing one of those little remotes in front of a dandy weather map, that we might have a wee bit of snow Friday night into Saturday. I suppose they will be retraining that guy very soon. It never snows here in December. Well, it has done so very seldom in my experience of just 73 years. The earliest measurable snowfall was recorded in our mountains on October 1st, 2011. Yes, just 6 years ago. I cannot find a record of snowfall in Dec. for NC.

Fittop:

Never heard of that before either. After a cursory search, here is more info about it from IBM:

https://www.trusteer.com/en/support/rapport-windows-start-menu

I don't know how old the link is. I really wish you could wipe your HDD and reinstall Windows. Maybe you could install an external SSD (Solid State Drive or a kind of non-spinning and faster HDD) and install OS on that then migrate your personal files from old drive there and then wipe old HDD. You would have a choice to migrate back to old HDD or boot from the new one and use the old drive for storage. Consult an expert in your area or online. It might be one solution.

IN OTHER UNINTERESTING NEWS:

I am pleased to announce that I now have my new external USB HD webcam, and new USB microphone connected and properly set up. I downloaded my favorite DAW "Reaper" so I essentially have the essentials for a pod casting and recording studio set up.

A digital audio workstation (DAW for short) is an electronic device or application software used for recording, editing and producing audio files such as musical pieces, songs, speech or sound effects.

I have done similar set ups before on my other computers and had the proper settings for those systems written down in my PC notebooks. Nevertheless, with Windows it ain't just plug and play, never is is it? It took me a bit but it all works well and I have noted any changes in the PC notebook. I'll need that again someday.

Reaper is a fantastic DAW. If you have any interest at all in recording, check it out. It has been around for years and gets updated sometimes every month or sometimes more often. The price is unbelievably low for what it will do. There is a 60 day trial fully functional version available.

You will get a nag screen every time you run the trial version but that is no problem for most. It wasn't for me previously. Reaper is far more fully featured than say free Audacity which is also good. I used that before I found Reaper. I've read the free Pyramix is used by some professionals that don't use Reaper, Pro Tools, or CakeWalk. Truthfully, they all do have a steep learning curve. But if dummkopf me could tackle that ambitious curve using Reaper and easily learn to use it, then, as LeRoy just observed, even my cat might do that in less time.

Find the latest version of Reaper here:
https://www.reaper.fm/

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4393668 - 12/07/17 08:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Apparently there is a setting somewhere in windows 10 that lets you configure said piece of OS to only update at your discretion; Down the dark alleyway, round the dodgy shop, through the steel gate, into the grounds and down by the pond which is impossibly deep, isolated, freezing cold and very easy to fall into if one is not very, very careful where one treads, that's where the setting should be located, if it hasn't been moved in the meantime, or entirely removed.

PC security is an odd animal these days.

Your OS and various software is collecting all sorts information about you; Windows and Edge wants to know where you go on the internet, which apps you run and sends this and other unspecified information to Redmond. Google will collect similar info about you, including which internet shops you visit and then insert ads for that same piece of equipment that you just looked at over at Amazon or where ever, into your SimHQ mainpage for instance, - did you get ads for USB HD cameras and USB microphones after you'd placed your order, Roger? Or Facebook, if you use that at all. The book of Face builds a profile on you that is so complete that they know when you have tea, coffee and scones, or donuts, for that matter.

The Virus protection (360 Security) or indeed the Opera browser, as you noticed, Fittop, might be Chinese-owned.

Certainly, the ISP that I use, has outsourced all running and maintenance of the network to Huawei.

Legislation and directives from authorities demand that ISP's and service providers like Google, Apple, et al store logs of all internet activity and hand it over when demanded, and same legislators direct PC vendors to provide back-doors into the equipment.

I remember reading some time ago that the Chinese government insist on taking print-boards and various computer components apart, searching for listening devises that have been "baked in" to the component as a preventive security measure. Now that is proper computer security.

Now, in light of all this, when Windows 10 required of me to log in every time the screen-saver had been active, all I could manage was a contemptuous; "security? my ****"

Last edited by McGonigle; 12/07/17 08:07 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4393829 - 12/08/17 05:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Looks like we will be getting a flurry or two of snow and snowy mix today, tonight and tomorrow afternoon. It is drizzling rain now with no snow evident. The real snowfall will be and already is in our western mountains. That has already started falling. Webcams show it piling up. No accumulation expected past the mountains other than a bit on grass and cars in our most northern counties, at this time. Weather Ouija Boarders have, however, been known to get it wrong. I remember one time when a trace was predicted and that proved 3" of snow incorrect.

Wonderful news today, for average gamers like us, coming from Nvidia.

Nvidia Launches the $3,000 Titan V. That is said to be the world’s most powerful PC GPU.

Now everyone can buy a really good GPU. A status symbol for sure. We can brag about paying $1,000, $2,000, $3,000, or even $10,000 for a premium GPU from Nvidia. Yup, you may have noticed that $10 K wonder is meant for super computers. But if you really covet PC bragging rights, you can probably get out your Rhodium plated Credit Card and order yours and one or two extras in time for Christmas giving. Seems a bit of overkill to me, but what do I know?

MG:

PC Security? Is there any really? Odd animal indeed. They can even be used by savvy hackers to gain entry into your computer, so say some security experts. Leo Laporte for instance. For the last several days I have been greeted after boot-up by a notice from my security suite and /or by Malwarebytes that this or that file is a PUP or has been blocked for irregular activities. All were false positives. Can you say aggravation? The guys and girls who enjoy causing dangerous high blood pressure and added troubles for computer users should all be rounded up and slowly drowned in gasoline, then their bloated carcasses should be set afire. Just my opinion. biggrin

Ads? Oh, yes indeedy. I get soliciting notifications for everything I buy from any retailer online especially Amazon and Best Buy. It is almost so annoying I consider not buying. I could block them and I can block all or individual scripts but many websites just won't work without allowing them. Today, I fired up Firefox just to see if advances on extensions have been made. Not a lot. I then had to sign in again to Gmail and Hangouts and allow cookies for the fun of it so the logins would be saved. Is a little "security" worth the hassle?

Every entity, nearly every website you visit wants to collect as much data on you as possible. Every website we visit, every choice we make on any site tells someone something about us. It is accumulative. Even when it is anonymous, data can be used to create profiles that allow others to predict typical behavior and use it to predict buying or action patterns or even use anonymous data to create desires for product and services. We ad folk used to do that even without the huge databases being constructed today and they were effective.

It has seemed to me for a long time now that we have all carelessly accepted into our personal lives data collecting smart devices that may or may not have our best interests at heart. Yes, we've all been bedazzled by high-tetchy stuff and done this without caring much about the possibility they can be used as digital Trojan Horses. Perhaps by now we cannot even do without them? Can you imagine going back to encyclopedias, land lines, envelopes and stamps? Impossible! winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4393838 - 12/08/17 06:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

That tears it for me with Firefox. It now forces me to accept third party cookies. So many are tracking cookies. I may uninstall Firefox altogether. It is more like other browsers now forcing options upon you rather than embracing customization. My Gmail and Live accounts no longer work properly without cookies for some reason but both do fine in other browsers. Do you think it will upset them as much as I am upset if I uninstall? Right, probably not.

#4393852 - 12/08/17 06:42 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

I seem to have sorted Firefox. I simply could not give up that easy. I do not plan to use it however.

Mozilla sold out to someone.. Perhaps the Devil? It now stores my login info for G mail, Live, and this websites. That cost some privacy. I was forced to swallow all cookies including 3rd party. I must keep them until they expire. I cannot have them deleted on browser closing. I cannot have history deleted at browser close. I had to promise faithfully not to use toilet paper on alternate Sunday if there is a full moon (mine) and I cannot eat porcupine meat more than once a week. OK, I was kidding about the last two. winkngrin

#4393855 - 12/08/17 06:49 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Folks,

JRT, glimpsing through the last few entries, - and I admit getting distracted by looking into more threads, - I think the answer to not only your last question and others of:
"Do you think it will upset them ...if I uninstall?"

Yes, or at least they may take notice, if you and I and a lot of others also uninstall.
Hope they have noticed they are no longer the majority's browser.

Surely we will also have to take all those dull steps some of us have been doing for ages: removal of cookies, reentering data, saving passwords in paper sheets. etc. and all the hassles that we have brought onto ourselves and the cussing and ill thoughts we've wished on evil folks that take advantage of others.

I'm sure some victims have wondered if they could get away with cutting off offender's limbs or how much noise would a .22 make?
But nah, that's too much trouble and not worth your freedom.

#4394018 - 12/09/17 04:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Nary a flake of white stuff in the air or on anything here. They got lotsa snow in the mountains and a little elsewhere. It seems there has been an improvement in the quality of weather Ouija boards recently. Te temp fell to 30°F. last night. It will be colder tonight. Some snow is still predicted for today and this evening around here. I can see nothing falling inside or outside. Right now, the temp is 36°F. (it feels like 25° F.} where I live. Humidity is 100%. dew point is 35° F. Visibility is 1 mile. Is it Dec. 22nd already?

Fittop:

Quite right, we should be less bellicose and just make the best day of every day we can. And thus, enjoy life. Live and let di... I mean let live. Sometime I get carried away by certain things. I watched the movie John Wick last night and that got me all lathered and worked up for meting out just retribution. wink BTW.Look out tomorrow. I will watch John Wick 2 tonight. winkngrin

#4394055 - 12/09/17 07:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Good midday,

Thanks for the warning, grin. We should all make sure we know where the weapons, darts, etc. are in the house.

While we were nice warmed by the furnace, and grateful the below freezing temperatures only stayed below the icing phase less than ten hours here, San Antonio through Corpus Christie areas (four hours driving time south of Houston) delighted in waking to a white-colored world.

The delight is now headed north, after gracing Atlanta and other places that like here, have less than thirty snowplows ready.

Relax folks, some twenty of those snow plows were only recently acquired after the embarrassment of one certain Superbowl ice-in in which one certain Bubba Andretti only managed to avoid 98% of the fireplugs in his path and some 200 fans who paid hard-earned cash for said Superbowl tickets managed to see the game from outside the gates because those in charge of the stadium seats could not convince the Fire Marshall the seats they sold were safe to be sat on.
Not sure if they were ever recompensed for their troubles.

Never let it be said the area is not careful with its money or local safety; witness the many potholes intended to keep drivers awake and alert by dodging the same.

But let's not sweat it.
After today we will be close to seventy for the next couple of days before we get to play icy streets again.
No, no mention of snowman material.

#4394082 - 12/09/17 09:55 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

I was watching it snow a few seconds ago. Yes, it is snowing. Very light snow for sure and nothing has stuck so far, not even to the grass. Not meaning to be negative, however, I will not get out those nifty TOP SECRET mail order Snowman construction plans just yet. Frankly, since the origination of those plans seems to be Nouakchott in the snow-less Sahara, I am skeptical and so I really don't put all that much faith in them. Maybe the author moved there from Switzerland after stealing their secret plans?

The previous plans I got from Alaska should have worked pretty well. However, by the time the materials I ordered along with the plans got here from Alaska, most of the larger parts had melted. That box was a seriously drippy mess. Yup, I tried to build the snowman without mail order parts however I couldn't find coal anymore for the eyes and mouth. The only carrot I had was found in a can tasty but worthless for this application. I located a colorful knit scarf easily enough and a couple small tree branches but my inventory of top hats was seriously scarce.

I'm now taking another look at that digital, automated, 12 foot tall robotic snowman. The one that comes with 10 extra bright strobe lights, Dolby (R) surround sound, 850 holiday tune DVD plus a digitally controlled compressed air snowfall system and and a Vietnam surplus Claymore mine motion or remotely fired security defense device.

That's the one made by Google that I saw on Amazon. It is half price if I just fill out a 40 page personal profile form online and visit a local vet who will painlessly insert a very small probe up my a** once a week for one whole year. winkngrin

#4394161 - 12/10/17 03:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It was a cold night last night. This morning, a bright sun greeted us as it sailed along in a cloudless sky. If any snow fell during the night none is evident today. We are told to expect nights to continue to be as cold through the week. Wednesday the temp will have to struggle to get into the mid 30"s F. It looks as if it may finally be time to put away the short sleeves and pants for another year.

Atlanta received a very nice snow. I can't believe Atlanta's people deserve a winter wonderland more than we do. Maybe their city government spent more on road sand and salt than we did in Raleigh? That sometimes seems to qualify a city for an extra deep snowfall, or so it seems to me.

I see they have unearthed two ancient graves in Egypt. These were filled with lotsa sparkly stuff. I don't think Egypt should always get all the sparklies. I've a good mind to go out and dig up some sparklies too. The last time I did that I found some too. Let me see. There was a Ford hubcap, a dog chain, some pretty broken glass and a .45 caliber brass casing.

If I go back to the same place I know I'll find even more. There is a slight problem though. The neighbor did not seem to like those holes dug in his lawn. It was the worst case of moles I ever saw, I told him. He seemed skeptical. winkngrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 12/10/17 03:06 PM. Reason: no snow

#4394312 - 12/11/17 05:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I was just remembering a particular brand of bacon that I liked when I was a child. It was the "Frosty Morn" brand. That had a picture of Jack Frost on the box. I don't know if that brand is still available around here. Anyway, we had a frosty morn today. We received a very good frost here last night or early this morning. Depending on which ever way you choose to look at it. We've had frosts this fall. This time there were broad white patches still visible on the brown grass when I got up today.

looking out my window, I thought again of icy mornings and that good bacon of my youth. I recalled with an involuntary shiver the first frigid blast of winter's air hitting me when I stepped out our door to go to school. I always walked the 4 blocks to elementary school regardless of the weather. Come to think on it, I also walked across town to JR. High when older as well. I had a pal who walked with me then. As for High School, my cousin always gave me a ride in his car until I got my first one and drove myself.

Speaking of getting to school in the 50's, and I just did, I had two exciting occurrences come to mind that took place on the way to elementary school. Reed Satterfield, a neighbor, who owned a motorcycle shop in town baroomed, baroomed, butttt, putt...putted up beside me one morning and gave me a delightful ride to school in the sidecar of his Harley or was it an Indian? Doesn't matter. For a boy my age to arrive at school on such a wonderfully loud and growling steed was Paradise revealed. On another occasion, a distant cousin clopped, clopped up and, reaching way down, he hauled me up into the rich, hand tooled, leather saddle of his gorgeous brown horse. We clip-pity clopped off to my school. That may not have topped arriving at school on a roaring motorcycle but it came mighty close. Yes, all you guys who rode to school in buses or cars; there were advantages to walking to school way back then.

Like so many little guys, I was bullied in elementary school. Never since. I accepted it for a time, I was not the only one being picked on. Sometimes, even being bullied seemed better than being ignored by the bigger kids. Then, one day in second grade, a kid named Donnie who sat behind me, started punching my back during class. At first it didn't hurt. Soon, the punching got harder. We sat in very last desks on the last row on the teacher's left. She could not see what was going on.

Donnie was not really a bad kid. I suppose in hindsight he just craved attention. That didn't occur to me then and even if it had it would have made no difference. I ignored the punching. But when Donnie took out his craft scissors and began to cut a hole in my new shirt, that was just too much. Did I mention that Donnie had been held back, possibly for not shaving in 2nd grade? Anyway, he was twice the size of the rest of us boys in that classroom.

Anyhow, I took all I could take and then I picked up the heavy book we were supposed to be reading from, turned in my seat, and I hit Donnie side the head as hard as I could. Back went Donnie, back went his desk and up stood the startled teacher. Unlike today, when both students would likely be expelled for fighting, regardless of who or what caused a fight, I was found guiltless and unpunished. Donnie, bleeding nose and all, paid an unscheduled visit to the principal's office and got a free ride home with one or more parental units.

He never bothered me again and we became rather good friends. I'm pleased that they are finally trying to crack down on bullying in schools today.

#4394347 - 12/11/17 08:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Some of the forecasted snow is now falling and it is projected to be between 2 cm and 10 cm. Whatever that is in inches, imo it is still too much.

In other non-news; when the daylight is effectively gone at 3 p.m. What do you do. I watched the movie "Flight" in Which Denzel Washington play an airline pihhhhhlot, flying amongst those fluffy things, watchamacallit, except these fluffy things are quite dark and filled with thunder. His ...... airliner, thank you for prompting me sir, are you an airline pihhhlot too? Now, Denz, or rather his character is stoned out of his mind by drink and coke, a failure on his aircrafhhhhht, with 100+ souls on board, cause an elevator to be stuck in the down position. The plane becomes uncontrollable and dives. Somehow our man manages to save all but 6 souls by rolling the airliner on it's back and flying it towards an empty field, where he rolls it back to it's normal side up and crash lands it in the empty field.

The flying scenes in the first part of the movie are very well made and look convincing, even though I'm a bit sceptical whether it would be possible in real life to fly like that with an elevator, one side only, stuck in the down position; extending flaps and landing gear in a dive, then retracting them again later more or less.

The rest of the movie the captain stumbles in a drunk stupor through the accident investigation, rejecting or sabotaging attempts to help him. All in all an interesting movie.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4394358 - 12/11/17 09:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Yu'all,

Hm, maybe I may be becoming a Texan after all?
Thankfully the snow clouds are elsewhere today, and I was waiting for a day like today to get one more day out of the pair of short pants I am sporting because it is said it will reach 29 C. 79 degrees F. today.
Yes, I was in long pants earlier -it was just above freezing earlier- and will be in jeans later in order to remove more autumn leaves.
Tomorrow it will be too cold for short pants, maybe for getting more leaves too.

But the bacon still ages in the freezer; haven't tasted it in probably two years. It was tempting though, thanks JRT.
Might just have to pull it out but will not be able to use it for the Cuban-style rice and beans I was planning for dinner.

Always walked to school in NYC, later used the subway to get to my HS. The only adventures on route were walking through some areas. Have always wished I had apologized to an elderly gentleman who was slightly jostled by some rowdy teens returning home in the subway one day. They had my school's letter jackets too and had earned the "animals!" branding he gave them. Later the subway rides became more serious but that was at later hours.

The Junior High bully remained a bully whose favorite trick was a low kick you-know-where. Wish I could say my return kick when he was at a urinal cured him, but all it did was earn me another kick later. On the other hand, he never bothered me again.

McG, I do remember an incident where a gear door, I think, came off a 727 after a bad roll IRL. But there were no passengers on board.
My admiration goes to a Latin American crew who managed to land on a levee after running out of fuel due to weather in the New Orleans area.
All pax and crew survived.

#4394368 - 12/11/17 10:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

Ever try to ride a bike in the snow? If anyone could do that it must be a Dane. Some friends almost as dumb as I tried it once. We used a battered old bike. The "snow" was hard and mostly ice. I do not recommend trying that downhill as we did. Hint: You can forget about brakes. smile The ride was fast enough but the sudden stop and that first bounce at the bottom sure hurt.

Fittop:

My neighborhood was a quiet and safe one. So was the area I walked to school through. It was the school yard I had to beware of. No teachers were watching other than at recess. And even then they so conveniently seemed to see only what they cared to. We had no "gangs" but I can certainly see how they might have formed for protection. In eighth grade shop class I saw a fellow make a kinda wooden blackjack from a small baseball bat. He cut off the top 2 thirds, drilled out the center, poured in glue and inserted a solid, round metal bar, (maybe it was lead). Last, he drilled a small hole at the bottom just above what they called the "knob" and ran a piece of rawhide through it and tied the ends. I do not think he ever used it. No one messed with him after he made it. winkngrin

#4394467 - 12/12/17 04:03 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The temp is 46°F. right now at 10 AM but we are warned by the fearless prognosticators that we are in for a big chill all this week. The wind is expected to be a factor bringing wind chills into the teens especially at night. That sounds suspiciously like Danish weather to me. Could it be a certain someone has unloaded a week's worth of cold on us? Nope, turns out it is our pals to the north, the generous Canadians who are sending Arctic weather our way. As one of them was fond of saying at a time like this..."Thanks a pant load". I just knew the way things were going that it would not be long before winter weather would sneak in and instead of complaining about the heat I'd be concerned with the cold.

We have years when the cold never gets far down into the 20's much less the teens. And often we have years without snow at all. So perhaps it may be a bit silly of me to complain about winter? I actually prefer cold weather to the humidity and heat of summer. I'm really not much concerned about the cold unless it gets into the single digits. That is when you start to see our southern birds lining up to have their wings deiced before takeoff.;D

#4394542 - 12/12/17 11:07 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Getting colder. And the windows/Google frustration continues. It has been at least one thing every day I have had to sort without having done anything myself to cause it.

Today, Google and Google Chrome suddenly denied me access to my gmail account. When I clicked on my G Mail icon I landed on a "400" page. The notice was

GOOGLE (logo)
"400. That’s an error.
The requested URL was not found on this server. That’s all we know."

Funny. I had no trouble reaching my inbox in Firefox, IE, or even the arguably terrible Edge.

That icon sent me to mail.google.com./mail/.... My inbox as a matter of fact. Ridiculous! That worked this morning. I sorted it out but the gist of it is Google didn't have all its hands in enough of my pockets. After ages of running peacefully, it suddenly required me to allow all of its little scripts to run gathering data if I wished to gather data myself. I had just updated Chrome.

Something else struck me as ridiculous this morning. Us older folk can remember when sending snail mail was a bargain our ancestors would have salivated for. Sending a letter anywhere on the continent for a few cents would have seemed a miracle to them. Few folks bother to write a paper letter these days. History will suffer without the historical records snail mail would preserve. Now a single first class letter requires nearly a half dollar in postage. That price compared to the convenience of free email of messaging must mean few see any need to write especially those young scholars who can't...write. Yet the cost of postage and the requests for more money and fewer delivery days continues in Washington.

When was the last time you actually wrote a letter... I mean on paper? I can't remember when I dd. I guess some trees have been saved and a few million steps saved by postmen and women. winkngrin

#4394602 - 12/13/17 01:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger; When I was in high school, I used to ride my bicycle every single day of the school year And it didn't seem to bother me if it was windy, icy, snowy or just plain grey-y. And I didn't mind much either, that after school was finished the gears of my trusty yellow coloured Peugeot were stuck in one position. How I loved that bike! One day taxi cab did a left turn and crossed the biking lane as I was coming along. I went over the hood of the car and the bike was killed.

Evidently I need to work a bit on those old Norse Incantations: I meant to deposit the snow and the cold in the North Atlantic where very few people live, except on passing ships. I also intended to remove it from my area but I see I failed on both counts; Some of the wind ended up not in the Atlantic but near you, and I didn't get rid of any cold and snowy weather here either. We had snow Tuesday morning and Tuesday evening and also this morning dangerous black ice on the roads. Especially Tuesday evening when I was driving home from yoga, I coudl feel the ABS kicking in and the wheels occasional slipping whilst grasping for grip.

A paper letter you say? I'm nit sure I actually remember how to do one of those and I do not remember when the last time was that I sent one. It was probably when I applied fro my first email address.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4394629 - 12/13/17 03:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Brrrrr! A cold morning. At 9:30 AM the temp has only risen to 29°F./-2°C. When I rose this morning it was just 27°F. The wind has almost gone now. There is a full sun beaming down. The humidity is 49%. The high for today is expected to be 41°F. and the low tonight 29°F.

MG:

Lucky Dane. You could have been killed by that taxi. It has been my experience that neither common sense nor intelligence is a prerequisite for obtaining a driver's license over here. I've had drivers take right of way that was not theirs and crowd bikers off the road and worse. There was a steep hill the bottom of which ran past my grandfather's barbershop. I was speeding down that hill on my chromed and sparkly new English style bike one day. I looked over to wave at my grandfather through his big plate glass window. At that same moment a driver in a parked car opened his door in front of me. BAAAAM! That was not a pleasant moment.

Surprisingly, the bike sustained only minor damage. I suffered scrapes and contusions, a loose tooth and I was dragging a sore leg around for a week.

#4394795 - 12/14/17 04:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Another bright, sunny day today. The current temp is 45°F/7°C up from 27°F. when I woke this chilly morning. We are in for a break in the deep freeze for a bit but freezing nighttime temps and temps even below that are predicted to return next week. Winter has arrived no matter what the calendar says.

I see they have found a 512-year-old shark in the North Atlantic. At least one place on earth seems safe for the aged creatures. They have recently found Royal swan beheaded in London Parks. This particular shark is said to be the oldest living vertebrate. I guess this means Kieth Richards has finally lost the title. Something kinda "fishy" about that though. The shark is of a extraordinarily long living species of scavenger sharks existing in the North Atlantic. Why folks, 512 years old means that shark was born in the 15th century. It is rumored that so was Dux but I could not possibly comment on that. winkngrin

Page 540 of 608 1 2 538 539 540 541 542 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Food Safety and Bad Roommates
by KRT_Bong. 04/04/24 02:16 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.