Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4389689 - 11/14/17 08:10 PM 2nd of the new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Creative Assembly/Sega has announced their new "saga" (formerly called flashpoint) game for 2018, but with no exact date yet. It is listed in the Steam store, so one can add it to their wish list to get future updates. A "saga" game is like a stand alone expansion with a more narrow focus than a major total war title. They consistently compare a saga title to Fall of the Samurai.

Consequently, there will still be a 3rd announcement of their next major historical title. That third announcement may not be made until 2018 and I have no clue as to it's actual release.

This new "saga" game will be titled Thrones of Britannia., and is set in the British Isles starting in 878 AD which would be 13 years after the Ragnar Lothbrok's sons supposedly staged what is know as the great heathen army invasion. Consequently, it seems to be centered around the exploits of Alfred the Great of Wessex who was the first regional ruler to bring defeat to the Vikings and who did much to consolidate English rule. (this subject was hinted at in the past). However, there will be other regional kings vying for control of the country along with the Vikings who have settled and established their own kingdoms.

Of course the mention of Ragnar Lothbrok and the subsequent invasion by his sons in the intro video plus a title that uses the term "thrones" gives the game a bit of a pop culture tie-in nod to both the "Vikings" and "Game of Thrones" mini-series. This game would seem to be more closely related to the Britannia section of the Kingdoms expansion to Med 2 than it will to the Vikings invasion expansion for the first Medieval game.

Here's a link to the Steam store page. You can watch the announcement video there if you want or click on the Youtube links below to watch without signing into Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/712100/Total_War_Saga_Thrones_of_Britannia/

Direct link to the Youtube intro video followed by the embedded version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fu0UPnk4kc

Cheers

Last edited by Forward Observer; 11/17/17 06:17 PM. Reason: fix incorrect date

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4389690 - 11/14/17 08:15 PM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I will buy this of course even though I noticed that much of this ground was already covered by playing as Mercia in the "Age of Charlemagne" DLC.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4389796 - 11/15/17 11:46 AM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
I wasn't interested in the expansion for Rome II that was announced earlier, although I welcome the FLC that will arrive with it... Britannia however will be something I will buy into smile

#4389813 - 11/15/17 02:04 PM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The era doesn't float my boat, but the same could have been said about Attila and I loved that game. It's more about the campaign mechanics for me anyway, less about which time period the pixeltruppen smashing skulls are from.

Thanks for the info F/O

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4389815 - 11/15/17 02:08 PM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I'm still dreaming for a Napoleon 2. I want some gunpowder and ship of the line broadsides damn it!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4391977 - 11/30/17 05:45 AM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I'm still dreaming for a Napoleon 2. I want some gunpowder and ship of the line broadsides damn it!

You and me both (I would also take an Empire 2. Actually, I would probably pick that over even Napoleon, assuming an actual AI was included; either one would be great though).

I probably will not buy Thrones of Britannia,or at least not until it goes on sale. While I realize Total War got its start in Japanese and European medieval periods, those have never been favorite periods of study or recreation for me. The only pre-modern epoch that has held my interest consistently has been Rome (and specifically, Republican Rome), and, to a lesser extent the Classical Greek era. I find more recent, black-powder era and on, military history much more fascinating.

Anyway, I am still working on finishing the Grand Campaigns in Napoleon, Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai, and Rome 2 (and have not yet even started the standard Shogun 2, Rome 2 Augustan, or Attila Grand Campaigns) . . . so I have a few hours of playing to get through before I run out of sword & shield based Total Wars . . .

Yes, the last campaign I finished in Total War was Empire . . .

#4392103 - 11/30/17 05:18 PM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
An Empire 2 would be my choice also---but maybe starting later with the Crimean war and on into the various colonial wars in Africa, India, and China. However, that might be a bit too expansive since CA does much better when these games have a more narrow focus. Even though Empire and Rome II were probably their best selling games, they were both at the same time their most problematic at release.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4392161 - 11/30/17 08:09 PM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Gimme a Far Asia one - CHina and Korea.

Romance of the 3 Kingdoms, Rise of the Han, North and South Kingdoms, Song, Ming, Quing dynasties.

The Three Kingdoms of Korea, so forth.

#4392331 - 12/01/17 11:39 AM Re: 2nd new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I started playing the new "Rome Divided" DLC last night and I really like it so far.

Some observations:

1. Sanitation/Squalor system from Attila is introduced to this DLC.

2. Political system is more in-depth. You can send statesmen on missions to try and get more political influence.

3. You now have cult/religious buildings that cost you nothing to construct but will cost you heavily if you have to tear them down later. These buildings give you certain bonuses but also some negatives so it's a trade-off decision you need to make.

This DLC starts in 270 AD so that's 125 years before the start of the Attila main campaign.

#4402888 - 02/01/18 05:01 PM Re: 2nd of the new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Thrones of Britannia release date is 19th of april, right on my birthday biggrin

Really looking forward to this. I skipped Attila plus i'am watching The Last Kingdom now. Awsome show, can't wait to play as King Alfred.

#4402891 - 02/01/18 05:16 PM Re: 2nd of the new TW historical offerings announced---New "saga" game for 2018 [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
If you pre-order I think you get 10% off. I'll be pre-ordering for sure.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.