Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17
#4392030 - 11/30/17 12:04 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Speyer]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Originally Posted by Speyer
Is it Denuvo?

As far as i can see, that's just wild speculation by a few users here.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4392033 - 11/30/17 12:08 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

As far as i see Wags not say what drm use. And not answer questions Why? I think i know.

#4392034 - 11/30/17 12:14 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Sobek]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by Sobek
Originally Posted by IceecI
Originally Posted by the soupdragon
I was a bit suprised to see that they are now also collecting "anonymous" data from us with the new update. What data are they collecting from us and how is it anonymous if I have to log in?

Collecting data? Source?

Options menu?

Originally Posted by XIII
Yup buy new plane. Install spyware, and denuvo(?) . Will be happy.
Hahahaha
Bye bye dcs

Do you have a source that the new copy protection scheme will be using Denuvo DRM?

What other program injected in games today does that?

It would certainly be easier to list software that doesn't do this than the other way around. Even your browser collects your usage data. I don't see you running around claiming that Denuvo is part of your browser.

Yes, you don't because that would be stupid.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4392039 - 11/30/17 12:38 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Sobek]  
the soupdragon Offline
Sexy Beast
the soupdragon  Offline
Sexy Beast
Hotshot

Cardiff South Wales UK
I was a bit suprised to see that they are now also collecting "anonymous" data from us with the new update. What data are they collecting from us and how is it anonymous if I have to log in?

Collecting data? Source?

When I installed the update. I had to click a button to allow DCS to collect anoymous data from DCS.

SD

From the hills rebounding
Let this war cry sounding
Summon all at Cambria's call
The mighty force surrounding

Men of Harlech onto glory
This shall ever be your story
Keep these fighting words before ye
Welshmen never yield
#4392040 - 11/30/17 12:43 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
what update is that ?

#4392042 - 11/30/17 12:59 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: the soupdragon]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland

When I installed the update. I had to click a button to allow DCS to collect anoymous data from DCS.

SD

So click "No" instead?

Nate

#4392044 - 11/30/17 01:22 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

What exactly is the anonymous data being collected ?

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

#4392062 - 11/30/17 03:23 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"So IF you are offline for more than 4 days ..... no DCS World"

Guys, while I don't know what this is all about, and frankly I don't care, you need to reread. In your haste to be negative about all things DCS you are missing the part that says, ".....or the next time you log in." Geez..calm down.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4392072 - 11/30/17 03:54 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Pooch]  
Clutch Offline
Clutch  Offline

SC
Originally Posted by Pooch
"So IF you are offline for more than 4 days ..... no DCS World"

Guys, while I don't know what this is all about, and frankly I don't care, you need to reread. In your haste to be negative about all things DCS you are missing the part that says, ".....or the next time you log in." Geez..calm down.

That, coupled with the fact that the people complaining about having to connect to the internet every FOUR DAYS post an average of 10 times a day on Sim-Hq to take digs at Eagle Dynamics.

Never let some perceived flaw go to waste in the never ending quest to be a prophet of doom.....

Of course, I really applaud your obviously genuine concern for those who live "off the grid", yet play a (relatively) sophisticated flight simulator in their spare time. Your concern for toothless hillbillies living in hillbilly shacks is truly saint-like.

#4392081 - 11/30/17 04:24 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
The point isn't about access to internet or the system "phoning home" every 4 days. The uproar is why the change to this model in the first place?

I also don't understand why the change to a "keyless" system.... I think this is so that people can no longer sell on their modules. Once it's bound to your username, it's done. You can't sell it or give it away because there's no key to be given away. Some people can GIFT you a new copy of a module, but you cannot SELL or GIFT your own modules to someone else. This is how I predict the new system is going to be

- Ice
#4392083 - 11/30/17 04:37 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Clutch]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Clutch

Of course, I really applaud your obviously genuine concern for those who live "off the grid", yet play a (relatively) sophisticated flight simulator in their spare time. Your concern for toothless hillbillies living in hillbilly shacks is truly saint-like.

rofl

Very true.

Who is going to choose to play a SIM as intricate as DCS without access to the internet for advice, support, hints, tutorials etc etc?

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#4392084 - 11/30/17 04:39 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

#4392085 - 11/30/17 04:42 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: - Ice]  
Clutch Offline
Clutch  Offline

SC
Originally Posted by - Ice
Some people can GIFT you a new copy of a module, but you cannot SELL or GIFT your own modules to someone else.

Is selling used modules common? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. Can you do this in other games? It may just be the direction the industry is headed, but that'd be a total guess on my part.

#4392088 - 11/30/17 04:44 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Someone raised a good point --- why every 4 days? Why not daily? Or 2 days? Or 3? Or 7? Who picked 4 days and why? What's wrong with checking once a month? Or every 2 months?

- Ice
#4392089 - 11/30/17 04:45 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: _mue]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by 159th_Viper

rofl

Very true.

Who is going to choose to play a SIM as intricate as DCS without access to the internet for advice, support, hints, tutorials etc etc?

if I understood it well - the concerns are about privacy and having an intrusive software in your PC

Originally Posted by _mue

that is what happens when you jump first ...

#4392090 - 11/30/17 04:46 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: _mue]  
Clutch Offline
Clutch  Offline

SC

Golly,

Before you post to the ED forums complaining that your access has been revoked, take the ten seconds required to hide the pirated TV shows on your desktop.

Last edited by Clutch; 11/30/17 04:47 PM.
#4392092 - 11/30/17 04:49 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Clutch]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by - Ice
Some people can GIFT you a new copy of a module, but you cannot SELL or GIFT your own modules to someone else.

Is selling used modules common? I'm asking because I honestly don't know. Can you do this in other games? It may just be the direction the industry is headed, but that'd be a total guess on my part.

It used to be. People would buy a module, try it out, then sell it on if they didn't like it. Or perhaps buy a module, try it, shelf it for a time, then a new module comes out which the user may find more interesting, so he sells the shelfed module to help pay for the new module. When ED showed more and more incompetence, some people even resorted to giving away their modules for FREE, as some sort of protest action. ED put a stop to selling (or giving away) modules some time back, with a promise to bring in a new system at a later date. We all know how that's progressed.

As for selling games, people do it all the time in console games, selling it to other people or trading it in to a store for store credit or cash. Steel Beasts makes this possible by selling the USB dongle.

- Ice
#4392095 - 11/30/17 04:58 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: _mue]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA

At the time of posting this the issue had already been rectified a good long while ago...............

Begs the question:

Why post it?

Airframe #36
#4392097 - 11/30/17 05:04 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

if I understood it well - the concerns are about privacy and having an intrusive software in your PC

Don't think it can be any worse than Starforce or the hundred of other things that users install on their PC's every day without knowing exactly what/where/how these things work. Heck, I'm sure that the only safe way these days is if you unplug yourself entirely from the world and live on an island somewhere under a vast lead-lined tinfoil covering. Anything else is fair game in this day and age unless one elects to be selectively picky biggrin

Airframe #36
#4392098 - 11/30/17 05:10 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

minions at all costs defend dcs.it's useless,lost case.

Page 2 of 17 1 2 3 4 16 17

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.