Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17
#4392100 - 11/30/17 05:11 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Clutch Offline
Clutch  Offline

SC
Come On Ice,

You know I wasn't talking about Console Games. Don't be obtuse.

As far as it goes, those looking to jump on over to 777 should expect the EXACT same thing, at least when it comes to the collector planes. They are tied to your account. Period.

I'm not warning anyone off of 777 games, because they're great. But they use a very similar system for copy protection.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4392102 - 11/30/17 05:17 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: XIII]  
159th_Viper Offline
Flyin' it like I Stole it......Always!
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted by XIII
minions at all costs defend dcs.it's useless,lost case.

It's not defending DCS at all. It's attempting to make common sense out of nonsensical arguments. By all means argue your point. Just be prepared to have your argument analysed and be further prepared to plug the holes which are inevitably present when one decides to rant for the sake of ranting as opposed to presenting a well thought, constructive argument.

Airframe #36
159th Guards Aviation Regiment
"Airspeed, Altitude, or Brains; you always need at least two."
#4392104 - 11/30/17 05:20 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by 159th_Viper
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss

if I understood it well - the concerns are about privacy and having an intrusive software in your PC

Don't think it can be any worse than Starforce or the hundred of other things that users install on their PC's every day without knowing exactly what/where/how these things work. Heck, I'm sure that the only safe way these days is if you unplug yourself entirely from the world and live on an island somewhere under a vast lead-lined tinfoil covering. Anything else is fair game in this day and age unless one elects to be selectively picky biggrin

the only thing I know for sure is that like it happened with Starforce - this will a source of a lot of controversy.

best thing is not to update 2.1 and wait until we know more about it.

#4392108 - 11/30/17 05:35 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
....or just move on. I can't see spending so much time and effort (and emotions,,,geez!) on something that you aren't happy with. I still come in here to see the screenshots of new stuff and...well...frankly, all the arguments are rather entertaining. But really...talking about it for years? There are things about DCS that I'm not happy with. I try and fly the Mustang, but I'm giving up.I like my F-86, so it stays on my computer. But no more buys from me. Oh God....unless an F4 Phantom came out! Damn. But it's not gonna happen.
And still, even the people who complain buy yet another module. I just don't understand it. Like that great president Bush once said, "You can fool me once but you can fool..uh, no you can't fool me once but...uh, no you can..uh..oh , you can't fool me!"

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4392110 - 11/30/17 05:37 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA

the only thing I know for sure is that like it happened with Starforce - this will a source of a lot of controversy.

Oh heck yeah I remember those days.....the world was going to end, fire and brimstone and the like.

And yet here we still are.

People abhor change, irrespective of whether they wake up 12 months down the line and actually realise that said change was actually for the better.

Airframe #36
#4392114 - 11/30/17 05:45 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: 159th_Viper]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

At the time of posting this the issue had already been rectified a good long while ago...............

Begs the question:

Why post it?

Although this user was locked out only short time, it illustrates well one of the drawbacks of this drm technique: If the authentication server is for whatever reasons unreachable (user has no internet connection, denial of service, ED went out of business...) you can not use your software anymore.
The other big drawback is, that ED has full control over your software: they can allways withdraw your license to use the software.

#4392116 - 11/30/17 05:52 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: 159th_Viper]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun

Oh heck yeah I remember those days.....the world was going to end, fire and brimstone and the like.

And yet here we still are.

People abhor change, irrespective of whether they wake up 12 months down the line and actually realise that said change was actually for the better.

maybe it was before your time, people would not buy FC1.1 because of that

a lot of people left and a lot of bad blood resulted from it, it was very damaging.

#4392117 - 11/30/17 05:59 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: 159th_Viper]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

Originally Posted by _mue

At the time of posting this the issue had already been rectified a good long while ago...............

Begs the question:

Why post it?

Fixing a broken thing doesn't change the fact that it was broken.

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4392118 - 11/30/17 06:01 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

Viper has been around for most of it.

--
44th VFW
#4392119 - 11/30/17 06:04 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
so you guys know what to expect from it - DRM is too much controversy for my taste, include me out.

#4392120 - 11/30/17 06:08 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: IceecI]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted by IceecI

Fixing a broken thing doesn't change the fact that it was broken.

Software is never 100% fool-proof, especially not during early-access. If you were expecting things to work 100% flawlessly during this release well then, I'd seriously advise that you lower your expectations, unless of course the intent is that one grabs on any shortcoming as it appears to better aid in the mud-slinging.

In that case I would understand why a meal is being made of everything.

Airframe #36
#4392127 - 11/30/17 06:42 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: _mue]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
The other big drawback is, that ED has full control over your software: they can allways withdraw your license to use the software.

This is what will keep me from ever agreeing with this type of arrangement with *any* of my media (music, movies and games).

It's a simple test...if I can't include it in my Will (which I keep current), I'll never buy it.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4392133 - 11/30/17 06:50 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: MarkG]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkG

It's a simple test...if I can't include it in my Will (which I keep current), I'll never buy it.

AMEN

#4392140 - 11/30/17 07:14 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Pooch]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by Clutch
Come On Ice,
You know I wasn't talking about Console Games. Don't be obtuse.

Well, I answered your question regarding modules and also gave Steel Beasts as an example, didn't I? But you go an latch onto the "bigger picture" example I've made....

Originally Posted by Clutch
As far as it goes, those looking to jump on over to 777 should expect the EXACT same thing, at least when it comes to the collector planes. They are tied to your account. Period.
I'm not warning anyone off of 777 games, because they're great. But they use a very similar system for copy protection.

Not the same. DCS sells each aircraft individually. This is obviously not the case in BoS, with 8 aircraft for the price of US$50 plus 2 more for an additional US$30. I don't think you can "split up" your aircraft, plus how are you going to play if you only buy the aircraft anyway? Don't be obtuse.

Also, has 777 changed DRM systems right after release of a game?
Does it require periodic checks to see if you're a pirate or not?

It's not defending DCS at all. It's attempting to make common sense out of nonsensical arguments. By all means argue your point. Just be prepared to have your argument analysed and be further prepared to plug the holes which are inevitably present when one decides to rant for the sake of ranting as opposed to presenting a well thought, constructive argument.

Fair point Viper.... now I wonder why I'm on your ignore list? smile

Originally Posted by Pooch
And still, even the people who complain buy yet another module. I just don't understand it.

If you don't like it, don't buy the module!
Pro ED: How can you comment on the module if you don't even own it??!!?

Buy the module to give it a fair assessment!
Pro ED: Why did you buy it if you don't like ED and you were aware of the bugs??!!?

popcorn

- Ice
#4392148 - 11/30/17 07:36 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: - Ice]  
159th_Viper Offline
159th_Viper  Offline

Texas, USA
Originally Posted by - Ice

Fair point Viper.... now I wonder why I'm on your ignore list? smile

It's not what you say Ice, it's how you say it.

That probably covers a good 25% of it.

For the rest of the 75%, it's what you say and how you say it.

wink

Airframe #36
#4392150 - 11/30/17 07:40 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: IceecI]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
This scheme is very worrisome. No internet for three days and you can't load the game? Not sure if I'd run into this problem but I'm still not a fan at all. Besides, how many people crack DCS? I don't think you can even find semi recent versions on the various torrent sites. Seems very heavy handed for no real good reason. I can't imagine the piracy rate is high and even if there are builds are probably very outdated. Seems like a waste of money and effort.

Originally Posted by IceecI
Denuvo has infected games and computers many years. Nice to have some new rootkits, and for free! It's also been reported that it causes system performance drops, but that don't affect DCS because it's so well optimized. Good thing to have since DCS is also one of the most cracked PC games ever...
Way to go ED.

This is false, there is no performance difference between Denuvo and no Denuvo. I do not like it one bit though.

#4392151 - 11/30/17 07:49 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I wonder,will this new system (whatever it may be) affect modules that have been gifted in the past?

Last edited by Chucky; 11/30/17 07:50 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4392153 - 11/30/17 07:57 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: Flogger23m]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
It's not what you say Ice, it's how you say it.
That probably covers a good 25% of it.
For the rest of the 75%, it's what you say and how you say it.

Sorry, I'm confused. It's not what I say, but how I say it..... but then it's what I say and how I say it..... which one is it? Maybe I tend to gravitate towards a certain tone because people don't really know what they're saying..... or at the very least, don't write clear enough to get their point across fairly.

Regardless, can you not ignore the "how" and address the contents of the post? I thought you wanted a well thought, constructive argument which can be analyzed and holes identified? And then you complain of the tone of delivery? Even then, surely not each and every one of my posts are of the same tone?

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
This scheme is very worrisome. No internet for three days and you can't load the game? Not sure if I'd run into this problem but I'm still not a fan at all. Besides, how many people crack DCS? I don't think you can even find semi recent versions on the various torrent sites. Seems very heavy handed for no real good reason. I can't imagine the piracy rate is high and even if there are builds are probably very outdated. Seems like a waste of money and effort.

Exactly one of the points!! What if you last played three days ago, and on the fourth day, you want to play but your ISP is having issues or is "upgrading services in your area"? Are you SoL then?

You will also see that if you look around, pirates always get around DRM and the only real victims of DRM are the legit users in some cases.

- Ice
#4392158 - 11/30/17 08:06 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
_mue Offline
_mue  Offline

The related thread in the ED forum is interesting. The community manager defends the new drm schema with "It's protection for ED and even for us." Do they really believe this?

I bought a few DCS Modules in the past. But with this new drm schema I'm done with DCS.

#4392166 - 11/30/17 08:24 PM Re: Eagle Dynamics - New protection system = the very definition of Bait and switch [Re: MarkG]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz
As others have said, there are worse DRM out there, but from the consumer stand point, no DRM is the best DRM. I do hope they enforce all modules using this DRM (or ideally no DRM), versus letting teams choose their own incredibly annoying and terrible DRM (looking at you, Mig 21!).

In any event, what really annoys me isn't the DRM, but the announcement after the alpha launch. There's no excuse for that. ED had to have known for a while this was the plan. So that either makes then conniving because they knew it would dent sales and purposely withheld info, or they legitimately forgot to announce and/or plan for this to be the launch platform for this new DRM, which makes them incompetent. There is no alternative.

I feel bad for Razbam too. I doubt they chose this, and wouldn't surprise me if this was a last minute thing for them too. "Oh hey that platform you've been painstakingly working for the past several months, we're going to take a giant dump on it right before launch. K thanx bye!"

Originally Posted by MarkG

This is what will keep me from ever agreeing with this type of arrangement with *any* of my media (music, movies and games).

You can transfer your UN and PW, which by default will now contain your entire collection. Not ideal, but that can be included in your Will.

Really, what we've lost with this system is the ability to sell individual modules. Not great, but par for the digital course, sadly.

Also, based on that test, how do you handle buying:
-a meal at a restaurant?
-air fair and hotel bookings?
-Pretty much any service based offering?

Last edited by AggressorBLUE; 11/30/17 08:32 PM.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

Page 3 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 16 17

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.