Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4391658 - 11/27/17 11:02 PM Assassin's Creed Origins  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Anybody play it? What are your thoughts?

I never got into the AC universe although I watched the first few games' trailers and I really liked the part where he walks between two guards and kills both with his wrist-knife thingamabobs. I quite like stealth games such as Splinter Cell (do Prince of Persia games count?) and recently sat down and did not play anything else until I finished Shadow Tactics, so I wonder if I should try AC again... I say "again" because I got Black Flag when I purchased a PS3 years ago but I never got to really enjoy it. Maybe it's the game? Maybe it's the controller?

I thoroughly enjoy Shadow of Mordor as well where I try to sneak into position, wreak as much havoc as I can, then slink back into the shadows....

I'm asking because I'm getting a free copy and I'm trying to decide whether to put it up for sale or add it to the myriad of games I won't really play very much...

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4391671 - 11/28/17 01:15 AM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by - Ice
I say "again" because I got Black Flag when I purchased a PS3 years ago but I never got to really enjoy it. Maybe it's the game? Maybe it's the controller?

Black Flag was my first Assasisn's Creed game and it was wonderful. Fun setting, fun combat, simply but interesting story that really felt like an adventure. But the problem with the game was the controls were utter trash. You can be running straight and have your shoulder rub against a wall and next thing you know your character is halfway up a building and there is a delay for stopping. Then you get hacked by a bunch of random people who can also climb and parkour just as well as you. The controls were horrendous. Which is a shame because the game was brilliant otherwise.

The games, when the controls aren't trash, are fun. Rogue was like Black Flag, just not as unique or fun but the controls were fixed. Unity was a mix but still fun. Syndicate was better control wise, but got repetitive and the central story was sorely lacking. 3 was utter horse crap and never should have been released.

Apparently after finally getting things right with Rogue and Syndicate, they redid the controls and made the game more grindy and drawn out from what I can gather. There are level recommendations for certain missions apparently and if you are too low it will be very difficult... so it sounds like you will be forced to replay not so well done repetitive side quests to progress. So personally I have kept my distance because I don't have faith in them doing an excellent job.

If you still have Black Flag give it another go and then consider trying this one, IMO.

#4391699 - 11/28/17 04:56 AM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I love AC, even the last games in Paris and London, but this one has lost me. I’ve tried to get interested enough to buy it, but the setting is just a major letdown. I can’t feel it. Seems like a step backwards. Why can’t they just give us a straight up ninja game set in Japan? The series is begging for it!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4391727 - 11/28/17 12:34 PM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
Managed a few hours but I'm struggling to get into it.

#4391748 - 11/28/17 02:37 PM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
I guess what I need to ask as well is whether you guys are talking about PC or console versions, and even on PC, whether you play it with KB/mouse or with a controller?

Flogger, thank you for your input. I don't have Black Flag anymore as I traded that one in along with my PS3. I've been watching some YT videos of AC Origins and it kinda looks similar to Shadows of Mordor.... so I was thinking of giving it a try, but then part of me says why not flog AC Origins and get the new Shadows of Mordor game instead? smile I guess I have less issues killing orcs?

RK, AC in Japan I would honestly give a go. Constantinople and Egypt just aren't my cup of tea, despite Prince of Persia.....

Brun, why are you "struggling"? I'd love to hear details!

- Ice
#4391814 - 11/28/17 11:37 PM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've always played these games with a game controller as that's what they are made for and I especially use a controller on pc. The controls and layout are always fluid and and done well but I imagine with mouse and keyboard it could get problematic. It must be said that there do exist in some of these games some gameplay design that purposely retards or breaks the controls in certain "chase this guy" missions. Thankfully they don't happen often. I only mentioned this because at first one might think the controls stink but no, they actually cripple the game in some segments to what I can only imagine is to create difficulty artificially. I wrote like three paragraphs all about these games last night in response to your thread but I decided not to. If you have any questions on the games just give me a pm and I'll be happy to chat.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4391816 - 11/28/17 11:56 PM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I agree about the Japan setting. To be honest, even though I'd probably buy it and play it, I'd much rather have someone else other than Ubisoft doing it. On a related note for those of us who like the Japan setting, take a look at this preview for a game I found the other day that looks like it could be amazing. I posted about it in the console forum:

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4391815#Post4391815

#4391836 - 11/29/17 03:25 AM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Looks good, but unfortunately, PS only. There hasn’t been a good ninja game since Tenchu Z. Aragami was close, but not the same.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4391839 - 11/29/17 03:36 AM Re: Assassin's Creed Origins [Re: - Ice]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

PS4 is a great machine. There wasn't diddly out when I first got it but now there's many must have titles on it and its very much worth having in my opinion. I've enjoyed immensely. I also hope to try Nioh at some point. Its more fantasy but its still based on Samurai themes and genuine Japanese mythology and they just ported it to PC recently.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.