Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4391456 - 11/26/17 12:51 PM Finally got ARMA III. Wow.  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Not only is my PC running this like a champ, I was surprised by how good ARMA III looks. If you remember from my OFP/ARMA thread, graphics weren't my main concern for a TacSim.

I d/l'd yesterday, got it for a song. I waited until my new Gateway arrived; now both my good PC and my crummy PC have Ethernet internet access, no more PITA between d/ls and which PC uses them.

All I have had a chance to do is muck about with the editor, which feels enough like OFP for me to get some skirmishes up and going in a few minutes. And I went on a rabbit hunt...

Questions:

I click the big yellow "PLAY" button, the game loads, initializes etc. Screen goes black, and then I'm back at the launch screen. In lower right of the launch screen with the big yellow PLAY button, a small message appears: "press tab+shift to play: I know what tab+shift does.... so I do. My task bar appears. Two ARMA icons are there. I click the one that isn't in use, and the ARMA III menu comes up. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. That can be normal, can it??

I'd love a good WWII mod. I'm familiar with modding but not for ARMA III. I have gone to Steam Workshop first, and the descriptions of mods are well....usually bad, of course. A little direction for WWII mods, please?

My video options seem to re-set every time I launch. Any ideas there?

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4391471 - 11/26/17 02:30 PM Re: Finally got ARMA III. Wow. [Re: 462cid]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Hello 462cid,

The yellow PLAY button in the A3 Launcher, or somewhere actually in-game? Would you be able to take screenshots?

I use the A3 launcher to start the game. (It's in the Arma 3 directory) It's the launcher where you set up your mods, etc. Anyway, there's a yellow play button on the lower left. I click that and Arma 3 starts with no problem. I can't even tab+shift in the launcher, so that's why screenshots are important, so we know which screen you're at.

Regarding WW2 mods, please look at our multiplayer thread for Saturdays. We play with two WW2 mods (other than a Vietnam mod). They're called IFA (Iron Front in Arma) and Faces of War.

IFA has content taken from the WW2 game called Iron Front. They have permission of the developers. This permission only allows reduced texture quality, but the content is quite large. The mod also includes several western and eastern front maps of varying quality.

Faces of War was originally a WW2 western front mod, but Hell in the Pacific mod team combined their work into the FoW team. So, now the mod is western and eastern front. The uniform and weapon textures are really good. There are also several pacific maps in their mod.

Each mod offers something, so that's why we use them both here at SimHQ.

If you're interested, some join us on Saturdays.
http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...l-addon-update-november-2017#Post4388541

#4391474 - 11/26/17 02:47 PM Re: Finally got ARMA III. Wow. [Re: 462cid]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Thanks saghen

Yellow button in A3 launcher. Definitely.

IFA needs a separate purchase, correct? I'll look at FOW first, sounds good.

I'd be interested in the VN mod too actually.

Thanks for the invite. I would be as helpless as a bug pinned to a card. I need to master controls. I just now figured out how to deploy a bipod! I took down a helo as a sniper though. My other problem is hand numbness- I had a little cerebral-vascular accident about 10 months ago. Them's fancy words for 'a stroke'. Still hard to believe it happened. Stuff like ARMA actually helps me with my dexterity and numbness. Can't play much flight or race sims yet; I'm useless in 15 minuets

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4391476 - 11/26/17 02:50 PM Re: Finally got ARMA III. Wow. [Re: 462cid]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
You can get both IFA and FOW free, they are on the Steam Workshop.

And yes, Arma3 looks fantastic. Did you get the APEX DLC as well? It has a well done jungle map, and the jungle assets it comes with are what quite a few other quality Workshop maps are based upon.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4391484 - 11/26/17 03:15 PM Re: Finally got ARMA III. Wow. [Re: 462cid]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
So IFA is a single mod now?

I have Tonoa, so looks like I have APEXf

And why do I need to get a need Steam Guard code every %^&^ing time I try to log into Steam???

#4391492 - 11/26/17 03:47 PM Re: Finally got ARMA III. Wow. [Re: 462cid]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Something sounds amiss with needing to put in the Steam Guard code every time you login, as well as with your Arma3 settings being re-set on each launch. Those are things which should be saved to your disk once they are set.

EDIT: Regarding the repeated Steam Guard issue:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3658-TPXM-3237

Last edited by adlabs6; 11/26/17 03:51 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4391498 - 11/26/17 04:26 PM Re: Finally got ARMA III. Wow. [Re: 462cid]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Ah. I disabled cookies. Thanks.

After I subscribed to CBA and FOW, my setting seem to stay put. Probably simultaneous events though.

FOW is pretty good. The pedantic WWII student in me spots a few errors, but so what. it's so good.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.