Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 47 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 46 47
#4389928 - 11/16/17 08:46 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: MarkG]  
mailman Offline
Hotshot
mailman  Offline
Hotshot

London
Originally Posted by MarkG
Found something interesting as I was looking at pics of vintage barbells and dumbbells (about to start my old-school weights restoration project).

Mrs. Marilyn Monroe pumping iron and doing yoga? (I bet that old-school empty barbell weighs in at close to 50 lbs.)...

Apparently not the only thing she was bench pressing wink biggrin

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4389997 - 11/16/17 06:25 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Stuck at 215 for the past couple weeks. Gatta change things up...

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4390068 - 11/17/17 03:11 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wife began an 11 day vacation today, we started the day with getting our annual 40 lbs. box of sweet potatoes from LSU Agriculture, then went for a good long walk (what a gorgeous day it was).

Our DDPY stuff should arrive tomorrow. Besides getting started with my first pseudo-yoga regime (the main reason I bought it), we're going to spend some time looking over the eating plans. Apparently there's 3 of them (more like guidelines, I think) with the strictest being no GMO and dairy, also gluten-free. I don't want to go that extreme with healthy eating, but maybe I could follow it temporarily if just to get over a longtime plateau. I'm going to look it over before going to Costco and Whole Foods tomorrow.

It's like when my wife started doing yoga a few years back, I asked her to please not get weird on me, like become one of those tree-hugging vegetarians. This DDPY stuff doesn't have any of that creepy chanting, incense burning meditation stuff. I asked her what she thinks about when they're suppose to be meditating and she told me, "I think about Friday date night." biggrin

Can't wait to do my first handstand, split and downward facing doggie style..."BANG!" - DDP. As soon as I can do something really impressive, I'll post a pic.

Last edited by MarkG; 11/17/17 03:24 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4390890 - 11/22/17 03:19 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've got a whole new respect for yoga-like exercising. I knew yoga was mostly about stretching and flexibility, but just keeping your balance is a lot more difficult than I thought (unlike my wife, I'm having to use a chair for some of it). But it's more than just that, holding some poses for any amount of time really starts to burn and sometimes make you shake. Remember Phys. Ed. Calisthenics when you laid on your back and had to hold your heels 6" off the ground for a count? It's something like that.

I lift weights (casually) and run (very casually) and always try to remember to stretch first, yet I'm really not that flexible and my core(?) is weak as hell (I'm learning that now). Also, when you go through these exercises, your body is constantly popping and cracking. smile DDPY, I believe, is filling in a missing piece to our workouts, and something we can do anywhere without a single piece of equipment. Where I lead on the weights (after watching endless YT videos and websites about proper form), my wife leads with this yoga stuff (I'm not the one who can bring my head to my knees while standing smile ) so it gives us both a responsibility to take the lead on something, which is cool.

I tried starting with the Beginner's routine (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Psycho), then had to back up to "Beginner Beginner"), a pre-beginners. smile Wow! It's going to be at least a couple of weeks or so I think, before I can do pre-beginners comfortably and consistently.

One more thing...wife doesn't mind that she's always the oldest person in her yoga classes, and appreciates that DDP (who is almost 60) makes it very clear throughout his program that DDP Yoga is really for older people, even those who haven't exercised in decades. Just browsing the discs, at least in the Pre- and Beginner's routines, he shows modified versions of each exercise to make it easier, either doing it himself or having someone next to him show the modified version.

So far, we're really digging it.

The sun is in the east
#4390903 - 11/22/17 04:18 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I found a simple planking video that times you and shows you what to do that I like. Thats as close as I come to yoga. Its hard! Holding body weight sounds so easy but it friggin burns. LOL
I slacked some this last 4 weeks and only lost 5lbs. Eh, its still progress. The blood donation thing screwed me up for that week. I had to ease up some due to getting ahead of being able to recuperate from workouts too, so missed a couple more days in there I didn’t want to lose. There comes a point you just have to deal with inflammation so it doesn’t get worse.
Still, that makes 46 lbs gone! At 50 I get a pizza. thumbsup
The Y is closed Thurs and Fri and obviously T’giving may be difficult, so I’m a little nervous about this week. Trying to plan ahead and go light the rest of the week so I’m not “that guy” Thurs and I can just relax. I don’t want to give up my Sat. cheeseburger if I don’t have to!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4390933 - 11/22/17 07:48 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Closing in on 50 lbs., man that's sweet! thumbsup Sometimes after a 5k we hit the Mellow Mushroom off campus, we figure we earned that pizza. smile

I hear ya about the holidays, though. I have more family coming in from Atlanta this afternoon (currently driving through Mississippi) and these guys love to eat out and sample the most unhealthiest of Cajun cuisine. The next 4 days are going to be really tough for me with food and drink. I reminded my wife to keep an eye on me, to let me know if she thinks I'm losing control. Not embarrass me or anything (and she never has) but to give me that special look or maybe run her foot up my leg under the table to keep me thinking clearly. wink Seriously, I start smelling those bad kinds of food and I just want to go nuts, same with drinking (either sodas or booze [or both], 2 or 3 are never enough) and I need a reminder sometimes not to #%&*$# it all up (I fall easy and hard). She's got my back and knows what to do (e.g. suggest ordering a *small* plate of the bad stuff and split it), and I'm smart enough these days to agree with her...usually. smile

The sun is in the east
#4390991 - 11/23/17 05:18 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Mmmmm I’m thinking Mellow Mushroom calzone now...and a Blue Moon.
Better than Thanksgiving!

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4391019 - 11/23/17 03:23 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Nice to see the thread going strong.

I'm back over 80kg right now... yuck... seems I caught a bout of Winter depression (constantly tired, no energy, always hungry for carbs), working now with some daylight lamp to try and regenerate my energy.

So the plan is to eat healthier, do my light therapy and make an effort to work out regularly again. That too should have a positive effect.

Or I guess I could just move to Malta... :P

#4391056 - 11/23/17 05:43 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
80kg (176.7 lbs.)?! eek2 RS, you fatso. biggrin

J/k, I know it's relative to what you're use to and expect from yourself, but I'd kill to be your weight right now. smile

Holidays (visiting family earlier this year, the way everyone's schedules worked out)...looks like I was worried over nothing. This isn't going to be like last year in Atlanta (my struggles documented on this thread, early Dec. 2016, constant spreads and buffets). Everyone else is now also on a health kick, and I'm not the only husband on a leash it seems. smile Man, being surrounded by like-minded people makes all the difference in the world, it really does. The women are in the kitchen putting thought into their cooking (not just healthy, also from scratch as much as possible) and after we eat, we're going to drive out to LSU and walk the campus (should be very quiet today), then tomorrow the Zoo.

I'm smelling sweet potato pie, but I know the slices won't be nearly restaurant size. readytoeat

The sun is in the east
#4391062 - 11/23/17 06:05 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Yeah, I'm fat like a baby seal :P

I know that most here fight a much harder battle - but then many here are married and past their 40s;)

75 would give me a really ripped body, 78 is very acceptable. 80 is just a barrier I didn't intend to ever cross again...

Mostly I guess I should learn to enjoy activity more. Sitting all day and all evening isn't exactly helping to raise my permissible kcal intake.

Thankfully we don't have Thanksgiving to weather wink

#4391098 - 11/24/17 12:07 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I can tell you the effect of endorphins is very real. Get to exercising daily. I always thought that was largely BS, or not as much of a benefit as claimed, but now I can tell a difference. I have a day off to recuperate on Sundays and on Monday I actually feel a little down and find it harder to get moving back to workout. Afterward, I feel better and I stay feeling like that until the next time, the day after taking off.

#4391131 - 11/24/17 11:30 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Hmm, worth a try. Thanks for the idea!

#4391164 - 11/24/17 02:50 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I don't know if it's endorphins, but sometimes I start off not feeling like running at all, only brisk walking. But after I've walked a few laps and I'm warmed up, with the right music pumping me up, I can't help but to take off in a sprint.

Workouts (weights and track) can wane if you let it, so we're making pseudo-yoga our first truly consistent exercising as it's something we can do anywhere, even in a hotel room. We figure that if we can keep a commitment of consistency with this one thing for the rest of our lives, we'll be doing good, even when our regular routine of weights and walking/running gets sidetracked.

The sun is in the east
#4391194 - 11/24/17 05:43 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I also listen to audiobooks while I'm there. If it's a good book (I don't waste much time if it turns out dull), that helps get me going because I want to see what happens next. LOL I save it for just at the Y.

#4391361 - 11/25/17 09:25 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Company left this morning (off to see other family), I'd give my efforts somewhere between a C+ and a B-.

As soon as they leave, my wife looks at me with a "Whew - ready to get back on the straight and narrow?" "Oh yeah!" We divvied up the leftovers with my parents, enough to enjoy for today while vegging out to some DVDs, maybe the LSU game (she watches for our nephew in the band). Tomorrow we're getting back to killing it (weights/track/DDPY). Kinda cool, one of my younger family members was a wrestling fan in the 90's and knew exactly who and what I was talking about with DDP Yoga and the "Diamond Cutter". smile

132 days (~19 weeks) for NYC and then a summer vacation in Gulf Shores (also Pensacola Aviation Museum), to our very first beach bodies...at 50!

The sun is in the east
#4391366 - 11/25/17 10:04 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Go see the battleship Alabama in Mobile along the way. There’s a very good aviation museum there. They even have an SR71. Also a sub, but I forget which one.

I managed to stick to my calories somehow. LOL
Back to the Y tomorrow, I’m ready.

#4391477 - 11/26/17 02:57 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Most definitely going to the Alabama along the way.

Can't wait to see how it compares with a tour of the Kidd (destroyer) we did last year...
Spending a day in downtown Baton Rouge, LA (many pics)

++++++++++

Going to order a couple of heart rate monitors today, the kind that straps around your torso and gives a readout on your wrist.

The sun is in the east
#4391710 - 11/28/17 09:33 AM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Anyone got a recommendation for good Youtube series I might download and watch while training? I need some motivation.

Maybe not about war directly, but can be historical, science, unusual stuff... something that's good and entertaining to watch while doing my home routine.

Thankfully Grand Tour comes back soon...

#4391739 - 11/28/17 01:17 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: RSColonel_131st]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
"Make love, not war." biggrin

I can't help with this as I'm a musical guy, my tunes drive me.

The sun is in the east
#4391751 - 11/28/17 02:40 PM Re: The SimHQ Diet and Training Thread - everyone feel free to join [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
Go see the battleship Alabama in Mobile along the way. There’s a very good aviation museum there. They even have an SR71. Also a sub, but I forget which one.

That would be the USS Drum. wink

MarkG, you won't be disappointed with PCOLA and the Naval Aviation Museum. Every time I go visit my Mom in Foley, I have to visit. Oh, I'm below 215 now! W00T!

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Page 27 of 47 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 46 47

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.