Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4389825 - 11/15/17 03:15 PM STALKER mods (mostly Misery)  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Recently I wanted to get back in to Stalker. I played the Metro games again, and once done still had my post-apocalyptic groove on, so decided to look into getting Stalker back up and running. The last time I played would have been around 2013, and I was playing Misery 2.0. Misery is a love it or hate it kinda thing. I loved it. It is challenging no doubt, but it appeals to me because it is so bleak. I like actually scrounging for useful stuff. Most versions of Stalker are lite on the survival aspect. Before long you've got so much stuff it's really not a survival game at all. It positions itself as one, but really it's not. When you've got 20 medkits, a pile of rubles and a dozen sweet rifles to choose from you're not hurtin' too much.

So Misery scratched that itch. Finding a half-empty mag of 5.56 was a triumph. Potential enemies and targets were often skirted around to save the ammo. You're more concerned with finding your next meal, a gas mask you can actually see out of or some way to reduce your radiation. Even in Misery, if you stick with it long enough, you'll eventually have quite a stash. But it's a struggle until you get there.

When I played Misery, I didn't really play it conventionally, that is following the story line and attempting to move it forward. I simply lived the stalker life. I had a home, and a stash, and every morning I'd concoct some mission for myself, lay out the kit for the day and venture forth. I might be heading to a certain anomaly to hunt artifacts, or go mutant hunting, explore a new area, going to a trader or raiding a camp for supplies. The goal was always to be back home by nightfall, because the freaks come out at night. Playing with pitch black nights transforms the experience, at least until you get night vision. Even then, in Misery, you need enough batteries to keep your NV going. So even that is used sparingly.

So while the Stalker main stories are good, I've already played through all three games, a few times over. And that gets us back to the topic, mods. I'm looking to restore the feeling I had playing Misery 2.0. Well, why not install Misery 2.0 you might ask? I almost did. It's now at 2.2. I might just do so. But the truth is that the Misery devs make thing difficult for difficulty's sake. I want the barren, bleak, hardcore existence, but I also want enemies to die after a reasonable amount of hits. Even dogs are seriously powerful enemies in Misery, let alone Chimeras. You better find a rock to climb on or that pack is going to rip you a new one.

A few days a go I began the process. I installed Call of Pripyat and some mods, like Atmosfear and Arsenal Overhaul. These are great, but within 10 hours or so of starting I had a tier-2 SEVA suit and an arsenal of tier-2 modded high-end weaponry with more ammo than I could shoot in a week. Fun, as always, but no survival struggle.

So I continued to rummage the interweb and stumbled across Call of Chernobyl (CoC)

http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl

It's like the ultimate playground for the play style I mentioned earlier, just living the stalker life. It's been out for a couple of years, so it's not new to some of you. Essentially CoC is a free-play mod that features all 31 maps from the three Stalker games, plus one new map for 32 in all. You can travel through them all, but cannot jump from one to another, skipping those in-between. In other words, to get from the rookie camp in Cordon to Chernobyl NPP you need to travel through Cordon, Garbage, Rostock, Warehouses, Red Forest, Jupiter, and Zaton. And the whole route is fraught with stalker peril. It's not a sunday stroll lemme tell ya!

But there's much more to it. For example it is highly customizable through the in-game menu. How frequently do you want emissions? Do you want a warning, or none at all? Do you want it to kill those unable to find shelter in time, or turn them to zombies? How densely do you want your world populated? You can choose any faction at the start and all the good and bad relations that entails. You can also choose your starting location, or leave it random. I chose to be a loner and start in the Rookie camp, because well, rookie. That's how I see my character, just a guy looking to make a living and keep on living in the exclusion zone.

I chose veteran difficulty and 'story mode', which in this mod just means there area couple of objectives to shut off machines like the brain scorcher and the magic maker. No story in the traditional sense. I guess the buzz-word is emergent gameplay. You make your own story. There is an ironman mode that clears your history and game state when you die. I die twice every hour so that's not for me, but a cool mode nonetheless. There's even a mode that, when you die, you take over another random NPC. So you could suddenly be a bandit with a leather coat and a sawed-off, or a Monolith soldier with exoskeleton. I also installed a mod for dynamic faction relations. Each faction likes or doesn't each other one based on ever changing events in the game. So areas that were once safe havens could suddenly be off limits or visa versa.

I've installed Arsenal Overhaul, new guitar tunes, texture packs, and a mod to allow traders to buy all of the beat-up weapons I find, among others. The only issue I have is that I still don't have that survival struggle. Again, within 10 hours or so I'm flush with kit. While rummaging the net I saw there is a Call of Misery mod, which evidently imports Misery gameplay to the CoC map setup. Maybe I'll go that route? I'd like to achieve the everyday struggle, but without overly powerful creatures and enemies. It's a work in progress.

So if anyone here has been up to date in the Stalker universe and has suggestions I'd like to hear 'em.

Last edited by DBond; 12/15/17 05:16 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4389864 - 11/15/17 07:32 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I want to add that CoC is standalone, it installs in it's own folder, but does require CoP to be installed (registry check?)

So you can try it out without affecting your CoP install. I plan to make a second installation and try out Call of Misery and some other stuff like The Last Day and whatever else I might find interesting.

I'd really like to hear from someone who has sunk serious time in to Misery 2.2. I'm thinking about installing Misery 1.2 instead, and probably will soon. It's Misery, but less insane smile

I'm thinking that Call of Misery will end up being what I settle on given my current (known) options. I wish there were a 1.2 version of CoM.

#4390102 - 11/17/17 12:40 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
In the end I decided to just give the latest Misery a go. Might as well right? I mean, I liked 2.0, so decided to try it out and see how 2.2 plays.

I've made it through the first couple of days. I chose the Sniper class, and was killed by boars within two minutes of my first run. I started over and made it to the ship, and things are going fairly well, though I don't have much.

I bought everything I thought I would need to be cooking my own mutant meat, only to find now I need a lighter too, and cannot locate one anywhere. Word is I need to see Hawaiian at the Yanov station. But I can't afford the trip. I will probably survive the mutants and bandits only to be killed by the economy!

Returning home after an unsuccessful search for useful things.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files misery.jpg

#4390448 - 11/19/17 02:44 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A few more shots.

A squad that I am tagging along with on patrol through Zaton

[Linked Image]

Approaching the theater in Zaton

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Searching a village

[Linked Image]

Fog closes in

[Linked Image]

Attached Files squad.jpgpatrol.jpgpatrol2.jpgsearch.jpgfog.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/19/17 02:48 PM.

#4390587 - 11/20/17 05:14 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
For whatever reason, Misery doesn't display my time in the zone in days, but in months. So i cannot say how long I've been here. A steady diet of bloodsucker goulash, vodka and cocaine will do that to ya. But I'd reckon I arrived about two weeks ago. Maybe a little less. I'm slowly emerging from the hobo phase. I've managed to purchase a Sunrise suit, binoculars, and a basic gas mask. I found a battered AKS-74 that a previous owner had customized, improving handling, fire rate, flatness and and adding an optics rail. It was neglected though, jammed every few shots. I've grinded for rubles and could finally afford a small-bore repair kit, and got her fixed up. Mounted a PSO and have a solid shooter now.

Got a nice over-under from the chimera hunting mission to replace the sawn-off and now have a couple of top-condition guns. Just need a good handgun now. Been carrying a beat up Walther 99 chambered in 9mm, but looking for a good .45. That hydrashock ammo does a number on mutants. Maybe I'll get one from Nimble.

The key to surviving and moving on from the hobo phase is doing the missions that are available right at the start, and that aren't difficult. The Hit, Transaction, Missing Stalkers/Bloodsucker Lair, the artifact on the Dredge, Hunting the Chimera. These have a decent payoff in money, plus the nice TOZ over-under and assorted other bits and bobs including stash locations. Without this money I'd be having a much more difficult go of it. Money's tight, and everything is expensive, the economy is nothing like vanilla CoP.

One of the biggest challenges for me is food. My plan coming in was to hunt and cook what I've killed. So I bought a high tier fuel stove early on and found some utensils that help the process. The catch is that a fuel stove requires fuel. I had guessed that I would be finding it in stashes or on bodies, but not the case. So I need to pay 1900 for the fuel in order to cook the meat. And mutant meat gives radiation, so after eating I need to smoke a cigarette or drink some vodka or water. That adds an additional cost. So over time I've stopped cooking and am buying clean food, but that's even more expensive. I do enjoy the Bloodsucker goulash though. Yum. Money can be made cooking and selling, but the profits are small. Still, it's a possible money-maker and in Misery every source of income is welcome. Cooked mutant meat is worth about five times what the raw meat sells for, overcoming by some margin the cost in fuel.

Aside from the missions, the main way I spend the day is hunting bandits. Their kit tends to be crap, but even that has some value. Gunning them down and looting them and selling it to Beard or Owl is my main method of operation. It's worth it to check what each trader will give you before selling. You could leave a lot of money on the table by selling it to the wrong one.

One of the most interesting features in 2.2 is a new camouflage system. Each outfit is rated for day and night camo effectiveness. It's difficult for me to judge it's true effect, but surely it is working. I entered The Zone sporting a long black trench coat, and at night I was hard to spot. But during the day I stood out, and would take fire from hundreds of meters away. Since switching to the Sunrise suit (high day time effectiveness) I can tell I'm blending in and it's more difficult for the NPCs to spot me. A really cool new feature, and I struggle to think of any other shooter I've played with a working camo system. I sleep through the night, so daytime is all I'm really concerned with.

I'm really enjoying this version of Misery. It's notorious for it's difficulty, but truth be told I died much more frequently playing Call of Chernobyl. Partly it's due to a different approach, more cautious. But also partly it's due to a more sparsely populated environment. In CoC you can't go 200 meters without another firefight or pack of mutants. Misery isn't as dense. But it makes up for it with how deadly each threat is. It takes a slow pace, lots of scoping ahead, and skirting of threats. Retreating when it is advisable to do so. When playing vanilla CoP I'm not bored exactly, but I'm never scared, never worried I might not survive the next encounter. Misery gets me there, and keeps me constantly on edge when I'm outside of my base. I love the feeling it gives. Misery is the closest thing to how I envision Stalker should be.

#4390869 - 11/22/17 12:26 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Atop the elevated pipe near the dockyard crane looking toward the Shevchenko. Sunrise with a low hanging fog

[Linked Image]

On patrol near the dredge.

[Linked Image]

The weapon is a XM8 Guerilla Camo. I was crossing the bridge between the Ranger Station and the Waste Processing Plant when I was engaged at range by mercs. They came out on to the bridge and advanced on my position among the convoy vehicles. I took down two and made my way forward using the pillars as cover to loot them. One guy had a StG-58 battle rifle and the other had this XM8 (39% condition) plus a two-use small-bore repair kit! Loot Lottery!

The hobo phase is well and truly past. It's funny, that in Misery I often feel like a kid looking at the Sears Christmas Wish Book when at the traders. So much cool kit, some of it useful smile

But money is tight, and the player needs to prioritize purchases. That awesome rifle is calling, but do you have a way to open food cans? Sharpen blades? Remove radiation? I coveted a swiss army knife for a long time before finally allocating the funds. I've purchased kevlar plates for my suit, titanium grids to improve load bearing capacity. Binoculars, whet stones, gun oil, gas mask, a stove.

Headlamp is on the wish list. And a new helmet. Plus suit and weapon upgrades. Never enough money. When doing the bloodsucker lair mission I found a FN F2000 and a Saiga 12k, both of which are in rotten condition. Never enough money.

Attached Files dredgepatrol.jpgmorningperch.jpg

#4391144 - 11/24/17 12:38 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I decided it was time to conduct the Waste Processing Plant mission. It's guarded and patrolled by 12-15 heavily armed and armored mercs. Aside from the Iron Forest and it's horde of high-level mutants it's probably the most difficult spot in Zaton. Rather than assault them directly, I sniped a guard from on the bridge to lure them out of the base and in to the chokepoint. It worked. I used the XM8 with AP rounds for this one. I installed the 4X scope which made it quite a bit easier as they came out on to the span.

[Linked Image]

Some cool sky lights. Hard to see, but the weapon is the custom SIG 220 from Nimble called Alpine. You need to purchase a Nimble weapon to continue the Snag questline, so that's what I chose. With a silencer, a few upgrades and Hydrashock .45 ACP it's a very effective weapon, possibly the best pistol in the game.

[Linked Image]

Here I tag along with a Duty squad out toward the sawmill. It's a safe way to travel, and if you're quick you can be first to all the loot they shoot. Weapon is a AKS-74 (Modern)

[Linked Image]

Attached Files bridgebattle.jpgskylights.jpgduty.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/24/17 12:41 PM.

#4391340 - 11/25/17 06:40 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My favorite games, the ones that get inside my head, are the ones that I think about, and envision plans for, even when I'm nowhere near my computer. There is just something about it. Well, lots of things I guess you could say. Enough to have me talking to myself in my very own thread haha. But if a few folks read it and take something away it's all good.

Misery is not for everyone. That should be clear. There are things that are done to make it incredibly difficult, and it is pretty far removed from normal vanilla gameplay. Artifacts, for example. They are emphatically dangerous to retrieve. Bonuses are changed. None remove radiation. Heavy lead-lined containers are required to carry them lest you become a victim of the radiation in your pocket. And the price you fetch for them is greatly reduced. You NEED a (very expensive) closed respiratory suit to go after them in anomalies. A few can be found here and there in stashes, or looted off a fallen enemy. In vanilla, artifacts are a great way to make money. In Misery, they are hardly worth it unless you happen to stumble on to it. The repairs to your suit might even make it a money loser if you had to fetch it yourself. That's just one thing that is changed, and there are dozens more like it. This mod is only for folks that don't mind being punished, or can look past things that seem patently unfair. If you are someone who feels games should be 'balanced', whatever that might entail, Misery will probably drive you insane. It's for veteran stalkers who have played the vanilla game (s) and are comfortable with the gameplay and know the maps. I wouldn't advise making Misery your introduction to the Stalker universe.

Here's a,link if anyone's curiosity has been piqued.

http://themiserymod.com/

Alternatively,

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery

For what it's worth, when installing there is an option for playing in 'rookie' mode. I believe this grants the player additional environmental resistances, and reworks the economy somewhat to make things less harsh on a new player. I'm playing on normal mode. There are also two more modes. Black Road, which gives you a flashlight and a knife and drops you off in the middle of the night. No weapons. No food. No money. There is also a Dark Mode, which makes sunlight give radiation poisoning, so you can only go out at night! until you get a suit like a SEVA.

I enjoy the way the mod forces me to plan. I have to plan my kit for the day, and manage my inventory, my meals. I've always liked doing this in any game I play. You need to weigh the cost/benefit of any action. In vanilla you just have so much of everything that there is no need. Just hose everything down because you always have plenty more of it (ammo, guns, medkits, suits, food whatever).

I have to plan my trips. Where am I going? What do I expect to find there? What will I need to fight and survive? What route will I take, how will I get back? Weight is a key consideration, as it is in vanilla CoP. But the difference here is striking. In vanilla, you just load yourself down until you become over-encumbered and cannot move, then drop a couple things, and off you go. In Misery, that extra weight limits your stamina, slowing you down,and the additional exertion reduces your satiety faster, so you have to eat more.

Equipment needs to be maintained, if you see yourself as a professional sort of stalker. You could, no doubt, just use whatever you pick up and throw it away when it breaks. But I can't play that way. I obsessively look after my kit, always keeping it in the best condition I can. Early on that's just not going to happen. But eventually you obtain the means, either tools or money or both, to keep it in tip-top condition. Repair kits, sewing kits, grease, glue, swiss army knives, textile scraps, cloth, weapons parts, gun oil, whet stones and lots more are needed for the purpose. Only the most minor repairs are affordable at Cardan or Nitro. The rest, you need to do yourself. This process and the struggle to maintain it results in my becoming more attached to my weapons in Misery than just about any game I can think of. Add the upgrade mechanic and it becomes even more personal. You might even come to give your rifle a name.

So everyday I feel compelled to accomplish more than it costs. I have to turn a profit everyday. My food for each day might set me back about 3000 rubles (not counting food I cooked or found, which reduces the daily cost, nor counting weapon or suit repair and ammo cost, which raise it again). So I need to hunt mutants, or bandits, or mercs, or raid stashes. Whatever it takes. This doesn't always happen. Some days the Zone she frowns upon me.

But when she is smiling, the reward is sweet. Finding some Lucky Strikes, a few mags of 5.56 AP or some chocolate bars has real meaning. Yesterday I was playing and was down to about 8000 rubles after purchases and repairs, which ain't much. It's about the cost of a few bottles of water. I headed out before dawn, hitting the ranger station, processing plant, workshops and Shevchenko.(I also did some recon on the Iron Forest for my upcoming attempt there). Near dusk I followed the sounds of a firefight and looted the fallen mercs. One clearly was a veteran, who had survived many days. He had a lot of stuff on him, especially mutant parts that can fetch a good sum. After selling and stashing the day's haul I had 50k rubles. That's enough to buy the Sphere 08 combat helmet I've had my eyes on.

But I think I should save it for a rainy day. And a stalker's gotta eat.

#4391527 - 11/26/17 07:39 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
Staniol Offline
Staniol  Offline

Hungary
Keep it coming, I am on the verge of downloading and installing...:D

Freedom of speech is our birth right, but the privilege of being heard needs to be gained.
#4391604 - 11/27/17 12:37 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, I've got a few more....

Typical loadout for patrol. XM8 with both AP and standard rounds as primary. I upgraded the scope and it's fantastic at long range, but a little too strong for medium range and less useful for scanning ahead. Saiga 12K semi-auto shotgun with buckshot and slugs as secondary, and the unique Nimble-bought SIG 220 "Alpine" chambered in .45 with hydrashock and DU rounds as backup. I tend to walk around with the cloth mask, but you can see the Sphere 08 combat helmet for environmental and combat protection. The rest is a little of everything I need in the field. Food, drugs, smokes, grenades, lighter, marijuana, gun oil, sewing kit, bandages, batteries etc. On the left is some of the stuff in my stash at base on the Skadovsk. The top two guns are the StG 58 (7.62x51 NATO, Austrian license-built FN FAL),, which I plan to fix up for a heavy hitting battle rifle, the second one will be for parts. There is also a SVU sniper rifle. I'm sniper class, but have yet to really use one, aside from the Mosin that I started the game with. Suit is the Sunrise. I've also bought the orange ecologist's suit for a few specific missions. I am planning on purchasing the Clear Sky combat armor from Nimble soon. All this kit weighs 45 kilos. 'Max' load is 57. I am using two titanium grids to help distribute weight, which raises the max load by 8 kilos, while weighing .88 kilo themselves. You could use artifacts or kevlar/steel plates in these slots instead. I put 'max' in quotes because you can exceed this weight, but at the cost of increasingly poor stamina.

[Linked Image]

Out on patrol. The Saiga is my 'idle gun', or the one I have out when moving around. It's been upgraded with a 8-round magazine and is semi-auto, and is a great weapon to have when the muties are afoot. It is detachable box magazine, so very fast to reload, especially compared to a weapon like the Armsel Proteca (12-round drum), or a pump. You can see I just picked a Protecta up off a dead merc. It's in the stash below the SVU.

[Linked Image]

Sitting in my favorite sniper hide, twirling my SIG while passing the time.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files inventory.jpghelmetrain.jpgtwirl.jpg

#4391726 - 11/28/17 12:29 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Staniol, did you install the mod? If you do, be sure to install over a clean CoP installation, and run vanilla once, with a save. Then install the mod.You should know that due to the reworked A-life and switch distance in Misery, important NPCs can be killed. For example in my run here, Noah died early on, so I can't use him to show me the way to the plateau. Another character who can die easily is Topol, who you need to do some of the scientist quests in Jupiter.

I repaired the StG-58 (modern) I mentioned earlier, Here is the interface. You right click on an appropriate repair kit and select use, then select the weapon. In addition you can choose one other item to further enhance the repair percentage. This is the first time I used an identical weapon. This repair took the rifle from 39% to 89%. A second type of kit was used to bring it up to full and the rifle is now in new condition.

[Linked Image]

Here's a shot at sunrise. Something about this game seems to leave a lighting layer out of the screenshots. The game looks better when playing.

[Linked Image]

I bought the CS-3a Clear Sky combat suit from Nimble. Cost about 65k. Waited for delivery and then went to pick it up. But I didn't like it. For some reason, it is listed as low camo for both day AND night. Who would make a combat suit that has zero camouflage? And it's heavy (18kg) and it only has one armor/artifact slot (which can be upgraded to 3), I was so disappointed in fact, that I reloaded before I ordered it. I did one short patrol in it and came under fire twice in short order since I no longer blended in. I usually don't reload games when I get a bad deal. But this time I did and I ended up spending half of that money to upgrade my armor, pistol, rifle and binoculars.

Attached Files gunrepair.jpgsunrise.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/28/17 02:07 PM.

#4391874 - 11/29/17 12:36 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Shadowing a Stalker. This is like an early warning system and a loot generator. A great way to spend the early stages of the game.

[Linked Image]

Hands up!

[Linked Image]

Getting the drop on a sentry near the WPP. This is the XM8. .This dude is really far away. 8X scope (see below)

[Linked Image]

I've been busy. The arsenal is expanding. Now have a selection of fully repaired weapons. Spent a few days making good money and went on a repair and upgrade spree. Currently equipped with a fairly light loadout of the SVU and a .45. In the stash top to bottom in view

-- StG-58 (modern). Battle rifle. Fires 7.62x51 depleted uranium. This gun hits hard
-- SVD (Alternate). Looted off a Duty Lieutenant. He appeared at a doorway in the near-dark and I dropped him with the .45. Duty isn't my enemy, and I felt regret. That's life in the zone. Needs repair
-- Saiga 12K. Carry it more often than not, but can use the Alpine when I want to travel light
-- XM8. Found this very early. Great rifle. No grenade launcher. Problem is it has a permanent scope, which must have been 4X. I then chose the 4X scope upgrade which made it 8X! That's awesome in some situations, but a drawback in others. be aware when upgrading rifles with permanent scopes.
-- Abakan AN-94. Had this one for a long time, but yet to repair ir. This rifle has a unique 2-round burst where recoil is delayed until the second round leaves so that both rounds hit the same spot. Great rifle for headshots with armor/helmets.
-- SG 550 (modern). Wanted a 5.56 rifle with GL, and this fits the bill. It's heavy, weighing in at 6.2 kg with scope. launcher and a full mag of AP rounds. But it's accurate, hits hard and has a 40-round mag. This is my main all-purpose rifle at this stage.
--AKS-74 (modern) .The first rifle I repaired to new condition. 5.45 is plentiful, so I like to have a 5.45 gun to use some of it up. Good gun, but nothing it does that one of the other rifles can't do better. Plus I'm not a fan of PSO scopes. I still carry it every few patrols to burn the ammo. Once I get the AN-94 fixed up I suspect it will take over the 5.45 duties and I'll sell the AK.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files followme.jpghandsup.jpgunsuspecting.jpgarsenal.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 11/29/17 01:59 PM.

#4392082 - 11/30/17 04:28 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Over the past two days I completed what I feel are the most difficult missions in Zaton. The Iron Forest and the sawmill. Several attempts at each ended in misery and death.

It's hard because mutants. Lots of mutants. High-level mutants. And in Misery, these aren't your garden variety. All mutants are much harder foes, but for me at least, especially the psy mutants like Burers and Controllers. At the Iron Forest, where you need to inspect the chopper crash, get the maps for Pilot and also grab the Fine Tools while here, there was an army of mutants.

It was too chaotic to count them. But there were at least 4 Burers, 2 Controllers, 20+ zombies, 6 snorks, 6 bloodsuckers, some translucent zombies and lord knows what else. At least no chimera, so that's good. The psy attacks are brutal, and ya gotta smoke your chronic tonic. I couldn't pull it off solo and had to hire a merc squad to go with me.

Same with the sawmill. Two controllers and countless visible and invisible zombies. Snorks. Got attacked by a swarm of at least 15 dogs after it was all over and I thought I was safe. Nope. Thank god for the Saiga. Hired a duty squad for this one. But that netted the calibration tools, the Weapons Expert achievement and tier-3 upgrades unlocked. Sweet. So I spent all my savings on new gear upgrades. Before I mentioned all the 5.45 I found. Screw it. Sold my AK, all of it's attachments and all the 5.45 rounds I had stockpiled for a cool 35k. Sold a few artifacts I had been hanging on to and went crazy at the weapon upgrades shop.

Aside from Staniol, no one has shown any interest. But I felt it a good idea to mention that in Misery you should not use auto saves or quick saves due to the possibility of corrupted saves. I use a 4-file rolling hard save, plus other unique saves here and there. But beware when using the quick save feature.

A second warning. Stuff. I am a pack rat. If there is any remote possibility that something might come in handy down the road I tend to save it. But there can come a point whre all the stuff you are saving can lead to crashes. In Misery there is more of everything, and the X-Ray engine is old. You can suffer instability due to keeping too much stuff. So it's important to not go too crazy and sell the things that you might not need. It's hard though.

#4392592 - 12/02/17 12:50 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
At this point I have dropped close to 80 hours in to Misery 2.2. The hobo phase is long past. I have good kit, a professional stalker. Fully upgraded Sunrise and helmet, and an arsenal of good guns. I've done most everything in Zaton except for two of the three helicopter locations. I've been to Jupiter, did a few missions, then returned to Zaton. I spend most days eating a breakfast of bloodsucker chased with vodka then heading out just before dawn, slowly patrolling through the area. Frequent stops to look and listen. Most days I can turn a nice profit of 10-20k, some days way more. Misery is certainly difficult at the start. The struggle is real. But so rewarding. Once you've reached the point I am though, you have the means to take the fight to the enemy, to dictate terms. Not hoping you don't run in to trouble, but looking for it.

Soon though I need to move my base of operations to Jupiter. But it's much more dangerous there. I feel comfortable in Zaton. I know the patrol routes, the best vantage points, the most likely locations to find or avoid action. But if I am to progress the storyline I need to move. I have so much stuff, that it's difficult to decide what to take with me. Which guns? What supplies? I can't carry it all. I could make more than one trip, but that either costs money if I go with Pilot, or it's a grueling trip if I go on foot, especially if loaded down with transfer kit. Zaton,despite the dangers, feels like home. Jupiter is forbidding. I can't even think about Pripyat!

The mechanic in Zaton, Cardan, has all the tools now. So if I move I will lose his services. It will be very difficult to get the tools for Nitro in Jupiter. For anyone that has not played Misery, you need to see the Jupiter Plant to believe it. Crawling with mutants and zombies. Chimera, pseudogiants, dogs, snorks, everything. To go there you need hundreds of rounds, explosives and plenty of luck. And two tools kits are in that plant I think. I feel real anxiety when thinking of tackling it. A patrol of four mercs is one thing. Multiple Chimera are another prospect entirely. This is why I've been repairing rifles with grenade launchers and stockpiling grenades.

Thing is, I need my ecologist's suit to complete the two remaining helos in Zaton. But that suit is in my stash in Jupiter. So I'll need to go and come back anyway, carrying that suit. And Noah's long dead, killed by cats I think, that somehow managed to get in the ark, so somehow I need to figure out how to get to the plateau chopper on my own. I hate the idea of moving through the Zone in a bright red suit. I feel naked and exposed. The new camo system works great, and I've come to rely on it. So to suddenly be in a bright rubber suit with no armor makes me feel too vulnerable. But it needs to be done. Suck it up Bond.

One interesting decision the player needs to make is who to side with? Or will you remain neutral? You can side with Duty or Freedom, and the opposing faction becomes your enemy, shooting on sight. In my last run in Misery I chose Freedom. They're more likable, but a little on the whack-job side, stoners I think. Duty's all business, a quasi-military. In this run I decided to stay neutral, a true loner. It gives me more safe spaces, more patrols to tag along with and fewer dudes with high-powered assault rifles taking shots at me. Firefights in this game/mod are awesome, but with Monolith, mercs and bandits there's plenty of that without seeking a new enemy. You miss out on a few rewards (like a free suit of armor) by not picking a side, but I can live with that. So if you play, be sure to know what actions will result in an ally.

A few screens....

When you see this, run. An emission is imminent.

[Linked Image]

Tagging along on a patrol in Jupiter. We were jumped by three bloodsuckers just after this shot

[Linked Image]

I spend most of my time near the Shevchenko in Zaton. Here I scope a bandit patrol through the XM8. They had decent loot, got about 6,000 RU off of them

[Linked Image]

Attached Files blowout.jpgbandits.jpgjupiterpatrol.jpg

#4393149 - 12/04/17 12:30 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Having a cookout at the theater in Zaton

[Linked Image]

Battling a Chimera. Not a good idea to snap pics when doing so. But I managed one. Here I am using this tower as a shield. The Chimera is just on the other side, leaping through the air. You can see one of his huge claws extended out in front. These things are brutal. He spotted me from probably 300 yards away and came running. I used up about 50 buckshot and another 50 .45 hydrashock before he finally fell.

[Linked Image]

A pair of snorks ambushed me as I snuck toward the swamp chopper in my bright orange rubber suit. Freaked me out but I managed to kill them. The Saiga is a lifesaver.

[Linked Image]

These pics represent my last real mission in Zaton. The Chimera and snorks were encountered enroute to the swamp chopper, Stingray 5. The Chimera took all of my shotgun and pistol ammo, and I was forced to return to base to grab more. I did get some good loot off the chimera, and cooked him up on the stove. Returning again I ran in to the snorks and an army of zombies. Found two valuable artifacts in the swamp though (took two lead-lined containers in anticipation). Made good money on this one. The day before I tackled the plateau chopper. As mentioned, Noah had died early on, so I had to look at a youtube video to see the path through the burnt farmstead he would have shown me. I leaped off the cliff and was teleported to the plateau. I cautiously inched my way to the helo. I knew there would be a bunch of snorks. But I guess it was good it took me so long to get to this mission, as they were dead.

As I climbed down off the chopper I began taking fire from the WPP. I started heading back to base, under fire the whole way. Took several hits, but had slipped a few kevlar plates in to my suit and they helped me survive. Made it back to base, then packed up my sh!t and moved to Jupiter. Did the debt and hostage missions and got Friend of Stalkers and the Diplomat achievements, which were goals, as they help open up trader inventories and lower prices.

Attached Files chimera.jpgdinner.jpgsnorks.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 12/04/17 02:22 PM.

#4393444 - 12/06/17 12:28 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
My PDA says I've been in the Zone for three months. Seems about right. I've made the move to Jupiter, returning to Zaton a few times to sell most of what's in my stash there, and bring the rest back with me to Jupiter. Plus I haven't been to the Jupiter Plant yet to retrieve the Fine Tools, so all mid-level equipment upgrades need to be done by Cardan. I basically stumbled on to the Basic and Calibration tools in Jupiter while patrolling. But the Fine Tools are in a bad place. Bad place.

Here's what I've distilled my weapons down to

[Linked Image]

Top to Bottom

-- AEK-971. Frankly I wasn't even aware of this weapon before playing Misery. I kept it, fixed it and upgraded it to be my 'bunker rifle'. Low-power scope, excellent handling, high rate of fire and a hard-hitting 7.62 FMJ round to be used indoors -- labs, plants and other enclosed spaces.
-- SG 550. 5.56 caliber all-around assault rifle. 4X SUSAT, grenade launcher. Good gun when I expect heavy combat or high level mutants
-- XM8. 5.56 caliber with that uber-scope. It's a better sniper rifle than any of my sniper rifles. Used for general patrolling. Lighter weight than the others. With this scope I can sit in Zulu's tower and easily pick targets off just about anywhere in Jupiter -- concrete factory, jupiter plant, scientist's bunker.
-- SVU sniper rifle. Good gun, but rarely used because the scope isn't powerful enough.

Equipped. (SIG 220 Alpine in inventory)

-- Saiga-12K. Once I got this fixed I haven't even thought about another shotgun. Mutant-killer extraordinaire. Has saved my ass more times than I can count. If it isn't the best shotgun in the game I don't know what is. I should be getting Trapper's gun soon to compare.
-- SG 550-S sniper rifle. Found this on a dead stalker in the Quarry. When I first opened his inventory I said 'what's that?!". A 550 Sniper! This may be the perfect weapon for how I play. Great scope (aside from the textures), good accuracy and hard hitting. It's heavy, but I can forgive that. I sold my StG-58 and my SVD to afford to fix and upgrade it. Here's more....

[Linked Image]

It's another 5.56 rifle, giving me three such guns out of the five rifles I currently retain. But it hits hard, the most powerful 5.56 rifle I've come across, and has a great scope. It's funny, a couple days ago I was thinking about the scopes in this mod. I thought about how I wanted to find one similar to the rifles I own in real life, scopes with fine-hair reticles and a simple dot at the center. And then I found this one. I do not care for the textures, the amount of 'reflection' that scopes in this mod have. Plus the 'glow' of the dot is too strong, causing problems with target acquisition in low-light conditions, which ironically are the conditions it's designed for. I would prefer a clear scopes mod. Until then, it'll have to do. Here's the view though the scope. In bright conditions it's perfect. But as you see here, in low light it's rather hazy.

[Linked Image]

One other thing of note in these inventory shots is I bought a new suit. I love the camo system and want to use a high daylight camo one. But the best I can get (aside from the ghillie which I have not tried) is the Sunrise. I love this suit, but it's just not up to snuff in heavy firefights. The ballistic protection isn't enough. So I bought a Bulat. Cost like 86k before upgrades. I had saved 220,000 rubles and spent most of that on this suit. But now I have class IV armor and can stay in the fight longer. Eventually I'll get the Sphere 12 helmet, but gotta save up for that one.

Some random screenshots....

Look at this dude's suit. I wouldn't want to walk around like that. Stylish, yes, but it's gotta be a bullet magnet right?

[Linked Image]

Here's one of the things I like most about this mod. I cannot tell in many cases whether a stalker is friend or foe. It seems they can wear any armor, it's not clearly defined like in vanilla. So here I was enroute to the eastern tunnels to do the mission there for Trapper. Scoping ahead I see this guy (and his kill behind him). Is this guy friendly? I would never know as he veered off to his left and disappeared in to the quarry. The indecision and uncertainty is awesome. No crosshair turning green, red or yellow acting as IFF. Love this aspect.

[Linked Image]

Sitting on the roof at the Ranger Station hunting mercs and bandits.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 550Sscope.jpgfriendorfoe.jpgrangerstation.jpgyellow suit.jpgSG550SSniper.jpgStash.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 12/06/17 03:38 PM.

#4394977 - 12/15/17 12:49 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
If you've played Stalker CoP before, you know that one of the missions is to visit the Jupiter Plant and retrieve a series of documents, and investigate the helicopter that crashed through the roof. In the vanilla version, if I recall correctly, the opposition at this location is not strong. A few blind dogs maybe. Doing this mission starts the Pripyat chain, leading to the mission to travel through the underground to that city.

But in Misery, the Jupiter Plant is crawling with mutants. I had a good idea of what to expect from reading posts at other forums. So I spent more than a week in-game preparing, or maybe getting my courage up. I would run scout missions to the nearby army checkpoint to have a look at the 'defenses' at the plant. I deployed a GPS-marked backpack and stocked it with supplies. Food, grenades, medicine, ammunition. This would give me a fall-back location if I ran in to more than I expected, or if i ran out of ammo before completing the mission.

On the appointed morning, I woke up before dawn, had a breakfast of chimera and vodka, plus a cigarette. Gear choices would be important. I donned the Bulat combat suit plus the Sphere M12 helmet. Weapons were my SG 550 assault rifle with grenade launcher, the Saiga shotgun and the SIG P220 Alpine pistol. I made sure to have plenty of ammunition, taking 150 rounds for the rifle, 100 shotgun shells and plenty of DU and Hydrashock ammo for the handgun. This would prove to be too little. In addition, I had plenty of drugs, cocaine, ephinedrine, psy-block, vinca and a little of everything, plus some food. It would be a long day and I had to be prepared.

Approaching the plant entrance I was confronted by several cats, a freakin' chimera, some dogs and a horde of zombies who came on once the gunfire began. I burned through half of the ammo before getting inside the walls, especially the 5.56 AP shooting the zombies. It was fog and rain as I slipped inside the gates. It's been years since I did this mission so I needed to look everywhere. More zombies. More ammo used. I should have gone back to my stash to resupply, but I was concerned that any delay could see things respawn before finishing, so I moved further in to the complex. I searched the factory buildings on the left. Found some documents, and continued to move slowly and silently through the deserted building.

Rounding a corner I was suddenly attacked by two chimera! Are you kidding me? Indoors no less. I ran to an alcove and backed under a staircase and took potshots with the shotgun as they repeated their attacks, though they couldn't reach me under the stairs. Eventually one went down, and I switched to the .45 to conserve shotgun ammo. I wasn't even a quarter way through the place and already I was regretting not bringing more of ammo.

After killing the second chimera and looting some meat off of him, I moved in to the next building and grabbed another document. As I came down the stairs, I was ambushed by a team of Mercs, Black's team, the one that until now had been guarding the scientists bunker near Yanov station. These guys are bad-ass and it was a hell of a shootout. I took some hits, lost some blood which required bandaging. After the battle I looted the mercs for Black's PDA. They had good weapons, but I still had a long way to go, and didn't want to be burdened by the weight so left them. I then backed in to that alcove and repaired my suit, oiled my rifle, munched a loaf of bread and moved out.

Exiting the building I came across more zombies. A lot of zombies. I took deliberate aim and head-shotted them one by one, trying to conserve rifle ammo. This gunfire attracted snorks, and the Saiga took care of them, but not before I took another big hit, more blood, bandages and a stimpak. I hate snorks. I turned right, down the road leading to the rear of the complex and the chopper location. As I peeked out from behind some hard cover I was hit by a controller. He got me. Dead.

Reloaded my last save and smoked some pot. This offers some psy-protection. Aware of the controllers I moved slowly, looking for them. Got me again. Reload the save again. This time I fired my shotgun a couple times which brought them in to view. A few 5.56 rounds to their noggins dropped them both and I moved on. More zombies, and some izloms, which are a mutant that was cut from vanilla CoP, but is in Misery. Seriously low on ammo I moved forward, veering to the left to grab the Fine Tools, and then finding Strelok's SG 550. This is probably the best AR in Misery, so I grabbed it. Munched another loaf of bread while planning my move to the chopper.

I sprinted across the road and in to the building. Immediately I was hit by a psy attack, and caught sight of a flame poltergeist. I instinctively shot a rifle grenade at it and killed it just before it killed me. Another stimpack. Climbed to the second floor and grabbed another set of documents and moved to the helo. Rounding the corner I was attacked by a psy-dog and his appartitions. The Saiga made short work, as I luckily shot the dog and not his projections. And finally I was at the chopper.

[Linked Image]

After inspecting the helo I looked for a way out, found the control room and the last set of documents. Finding an exit I paused, had a bite to eat and made sure each weapon was fully loaded. As I exited the building I ran in to more izolms and gunned them down at short range with the .45. Nearly out of ammo I began to sprint out of the complex. It should be clear, I just came down this road. Rounding a corner I ran smack in to three freakin' burers and a poltergeist. Seriously? Dead.

Reloaded and came out firing rifle grenades. Two good shots took them all down, since the poltergeist was right next to the burers. Whew! I snorted some cocaine and sprinted back to base, not looking back even once. This was an incredibly difficult mission, and I was really pleased to come though it. Later I would assemble the team to travel to Pripyat, but after doing so I needed to get a SEVA suit, so travelled back to Zaton to see Nimble. I've been hanging there for a week hunting mercs and bandits. I'm not ready for Monolith just yet.

Back in Zaton hanging with some fellow stalkers. The weapon is Strelok's SG-550. I sold my other 550 (not to be confused with SG 550-S Sniper) since this one is a little harder hitting, and has the nice camo skin.

[Linked Image]

Here I am scoping the road to the Ranger Station from the Skadovsk. A merc or bandit patrol saunters in to view.

[Linked Image]

The SG 550-S 'marksman' rifle has become my main shooter. Great scope, hard hitting semi-auto only. An AR/sniper rifle hybrid essentially. Perfect for the way I want to play. I'd guess these shots were around 500 yards? I don't know how to judge distance well.Here the remnants of two patrols lay sprawled on the pavement.

[Linked Image]

Soon I will muster the courage to travel to Pripyat. But not just yet....

Attached Files jupiter help.jpgchillin.jpgsnipetarget.jpgtargetdown.jpg
Last edited by DBond; 12/15/17 03:06 PM.

#4404325 - 02/09/18 09:00 AM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
How are you guys getting on with performance for Misery? It runs like a cyka for me. I think it's memory leaking that is leading to slowdowns after about 40 mins of play. I don't get crashes but the framerate tanks hard down to 20 or so. Running in DirectX9 doesn't help either, nor does changing draw distance/grass etc. Relaunching the game straightens it out. Any tips to at least slow that leak? Or any config/nVidia control panel edits that might help? I've fiddled with the ailife distance but that's a nogo also although setting to out to 650m reduced stuttering considerably. I've tried various settings, from 100m out and 650 is the best I've had it stutter wise but nothing I've tried stops the framerate from dying. I think that the ai system isn't functioning correctly (It's not unloading AI from an area after I leave, the AI visual level is set to absurdly high settings which has a knock on effect that is more than the engine can sensibly handle. I did the Spartacus/Bandits quest and couldn't turn it in until I'd followed Spartacus and his team halfway across the map to kill some Fleshes that they'd sensed somehow through miles of swamp, over several hills and in the middle of a thunderstorm :p, then we had to fight some nearby Mercs just for extra fun. (The loots were awesome) Eventually we killed everything within Spartacus's godlike circumference of sentience and he relaxed enough to let me get muh Roubles.

It would be good to know where to tinker to turn that setting down, I know it's part of the mod that is supposed to make the world more alive in that there's ongoing occurrences that aren't player centric but making the game into a slideshow to accommodate that seems silly to me.

P.S. Last Day mod for Call of Chernobyl makes Misery 2.2 feel like a stroll in the park. I recommend it to anyone who isn't getting enough of a butt kicking already.

P.P.S I wouldn't waste my money on that cloth mask. There's a free gasmask lying on the ground if you know where to look and it can be upgraded for night vision.

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4404396 - 02/09/18 05:36 PM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
First, thanks for the post. It's nice to have a reply smile

Performance for me in Misery is quite good. I get more pausing than other mods if I attempt to move quickly. But otherwise it runs well. No bogging down over time as you described, and I played for hours on end some days. I was running on whatever the highest renderer is, DX11 full? Can't recall what it's called.

That gas mask was gone when I got there. An AI must have come along and picked it up. The PDA was still there, but the gas mask was gone.

#4424455 - 06/04/18 10:28 AM Re: STALKER mods [Re: DBond]  
joe_roemer Offline
joe_roemer  Offline

Hi,
first of all sorry about my bad english.

i played through Misery serveral times as a sniper, at last i played through Misery 2.2.
I went more times to Jupiter, one time for the office, second for the Heli.
It's very hard, indeed, so i split this tour.;-)

In Misery 2.2 there is a Ghillie SVD Sniper Rifle in the Basement of the Waste Processing Plant.
Have you found it?

Have you dismantled weapons already with a knife or crowbar?
so you get spare parts for repairing Weapons.

greets,
Alex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.