Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4389390 - 11/13/17 03:53 AM AI stall advantage  
RedOwl Offline
RedOwl  Offline

California
One of the irritating things I've discovered in WOFF is when I'm in either a quick turn or climb and I'm just about in a position to fire at
an enemy plane and then my plane I stalls out yet the enemy plane seems to never stall out. I've adjusted different engine manual mixture settings
and now mostly just set the auto mixture "On". Setting the player flight model to Easy does not seem to make much of a difference either. Only
thing that I can figure is that the player stall effect is from elements of the CFS3 software that gives the AI planes more advantage because
the same stall effect seems to exists when playing CFS3. I'm not wanting a ridiculous "arcade game" effect in WOFF, just a balance between the AI planes and
the player's plane in flight capabilities.
If someone knows of a game switch or method that I'm unaware of to control stalls or at least set the AI planes on par with the player's plane
stall effects I would like to know. Suggestions are welcome.

#4389446 - 11/13/17 12:57 PM Re: AI stall advantage [Re: RedOwl]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Hi RedOwl,

Previous thread on this topic..

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3906215/aircraft-stall-problems#Post3906215

From that thread

Originally Posted by Olham
Originally Posted by Winding Man
AI and player use the same FM.

...it's only likely that the AI can fly the aircraft better than us.
Mmuahahahahaaa!!!

Originally Posted by Polovski
More gentle on the stick job done.

Originally Posted by nibbio
Originally Posted by RedOwl

The software program obviously favors any AI aircraft as they appears never to stall too easily.

I've seen plenty of AI stall and crash, so my definite impression is that the AI uses the same flight model.

Originally Posted by RedOwl

What are some tips for stall problems?

Tweak until you can get stable 50-60 fps. Any lower and there is such a lag between control inputs and aircraft response that you don't get the right feedback, and aircraft control becomes a messy nightmare.

Keep in mind that WOFF is based on the old CFS3 engine, and it's possible to squeeze excellent performance from a modern PC, provided you find the right graphics options for your machine; it takes lots of fiddling, testing, rinse and repeat, but it's worth it. You'll be surprised how different the flight models feel once you hit the right spot, fps-wise.

Last edited by Stache; 11/13/17 01:01 PM.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4389897 - 11/16/17 12:31 AM Re: AI stall advantage [Re: Stache]  
jerbear Offline
jerbear  Offline

I mostly fly Albitri and was having a lot of trouble with stalling. Well...I still have missions when all I seem to be able to do is stall out in a fight but this helped me. I was just surfing around to see if there was any further advice in some video or something when i found this posting of an old version of the gameplay questions PDF. I don't know how old it is or why it was still online and I probably couldn't fine it again to save my soul, if I had one. Anyway, this item which does not exist on the questions PDF anymore was item 37 on this old one. It says.

(37) The Albatros flight model is bad I cannot fly it?

1. You must install the latest update patch...blah blah blah
2. If after that you cannot fly the Albatros, then you are flyling it incorrectly!
Tips:
a. Keep your forward speed high. Loose speed and you lose capability to perform tight maneuvres.
b. Avoid fast jerky yanks on the stick. It likes gentle input with progressively increased pressure as you go-this will give you MUCH better turns. (NOTE: good advice for many aircraft in WOFF, GENTLY increase pressure on controls.)
Start a turn gently then fluidly pull back once you are in the bank to find the best sustainable turn rate.
c. Sometimes you can also add a small of left rudder while in a steady left hand turn. To the right probably rudder is not needed as often, although sometimes opposite rudder in that direction can help to keep the nose where it's needed (keep the nose down if it's rising too much.)
d, Try a chandelle or wing-over on a first pass at equal or lower altitude (not diving on someone) in order to shorten turn radius quickly and convert initial speed into a little altitude.

I re-read this advice every now and then just to remind myself. It's not always easy to follow it when your up against a good AI opponent but it helps make me a tiny bit better.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.