Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4386408 - 10/23/17 04:28 PM O/T - West Islip High School Thirst Project  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Gents,

I hope this message comes to you in good faith and cheer...

Not anything close to what I do normally or anything to do with aviation ... but my daughter Cayla has become quite a philanthropist over the course of her High School career. She has been involved since 10th grade in something called the The Thirst Project which helps support building deep water wells in Swaziland, Southern Africa. Now in her Senior year and driving for the cause as well as getting accepted into a top University for Marine Biology, she has been elected President our local Thirst Project chapter and has been relentless in her pursuit to help this great cause. The Thirst Project is nation wide in High Schools all across the United States and geared to assists small communities in Swaziland to help build wells for extracting needed water from the ground. At the end of the year, if enough money is generated, she will be able to go there and actually do the work required herself, along with a slew of other kids from across the US. Pretty cool for a 17 year old...

For those that have known me for the past 20 years.. I've never been one to promote BS causes or support anyone's drive to take money from others.. in fact.. I'm so supportive of this that should she reach the goal, my wife and I will be going with her (on our own dime) to help build the wells she was able to raise the funds for.

If anyone is interested in donating to the cause, no amount is too little, or too much... If not, please don't comment or bash the crap out of me.. Lol.

Again, not something I normally do, and my family receives no benefit from this. This is for my daughter who simply has her father's passion for doing good, and helping others (for those that know me personally know I'm a 6 year vet of the West Islip Fire department in Long Island).

If I am breaking forum rules... sorry... not trying to. Just trying to support my daughter and looking to an avenue of guys that I know and could count on.

All the best, and thank you from me, my daughter and the West Islip Thirst Project.

James
'OvS'

Link:
https://my.thirstproject.org/fundraiser/1056550 (Cayla is the one holding the water bottle.)

Last edited by OvStachel; 10/24/17 03:00 PM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4388323 - 11/05/17 03:01 PM Re: O/T - West Islip High School Thirst Project [Re: OvStachel]  
Hauksbee Offline
Hauksbee  Offline

DeForest, Wisconsin
Just wondering...what does it cost to drill a well in Swaziland?

edit: Just returned from following the link provided. Definitely a noble endeavor. I left $50.00.
I did not click the box offering to cover all transaction fees, since I'm not sure what's that's
about. Can you explain that surcharge? If it's nominal, I'll make a second donation.

Last edited by Hauksbee; 11/05/17 03:25 PM.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is.
#4388679 - 11/07/17 06:30 PM Re: O/T - West Islip High School Thirst Project [Re: OvStachel]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Hi James!

Hope you are doing well mate. I just wanted to commend both you and your daughter on the important work she is undertaking and that you are promoting. I seem to remember you mentioning your kids in the readme file for Hell's Angels. Hard to believe they are grown up. So happy to see them being a positive force for change in the world. I think that speaks volumes both to their character and yours.

Hope you are enjoying the fall up in the Northeast.

Cheers!

#4388718 - 11/07/17 10:22 PM Re: O/T - West Islip High School Thirst Project [Re: OvStachel]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Just donated OVS it is nice that someone like your young lady and you are willing to help the less fortunate in the World. You have my thanks and prayers go out to you and your exceptional young lady Cayla.
Thanks John

#4388869 - 11/08/17 11:11 PM Re: O/T - West Islip High School Thirst Project [Re: OvStachel]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
Just a quick thank you to all that donated and the kind words that you offer. My daughter and I really appreciate the thoughtfulness of those that did.
So far the kids in her group have done an amazing job of fund raising for this cause and have surpassed all other High Schools across the US that are participating this year. It's great to see them work so hard.
Thanks again!

@Cappy... yeah man... it's completely insane how fast time flys by. I still remember talking to you via email back when you were a pup ... and that was even before I bought my house!!! LOL! Can't thank you enough for the support!

All the best fellas....

James
'OvS'

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4388944 - 11/09/17 01:54 PM Re: O/T - West Islip High School Thirst Project [Re: OvStachel]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man

L'Etoile du Nord

A very worthy cause James, good on your daughter for taking on such a commitment. She is clearly a very caring individual.

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM