Hop To
#4386411 - 10/23/17 04:40 PM What a difference the correct language makes  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I'm sure we are all used to the Hollywood convention of using English speakers for sword & sandal film epics like "Gladiator" and "Troy" but check this out. Not only was this done on a minimal budget but it even uses the most accurate portrayal of Classical Latin possible. It's really amazing.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4386494 - 10/24/17 07:16 AM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Johan217 Offline
Johan217  Offline

Gent, Belgium
... And with a distinctive Polish accent at times wink

Honestly it doesn't make much difference to me. Maybe it is because I am not a native speaker of English and I am used to watching movies in a foreign language with subtitles. If the actors spoke Italian or a dialect thereof the effect would be the same for most viewers (except Italian speakers) I guess.

There are occasions when the use of a language in a movie puts me off, like German soldiers speaking Dutch in (I think) Aces High, or Richard Burton butchering the German language without raising suspicion in Raid on Rommel (which was an awful movie anyway). But other than that I do not care smile

Last edited by Johan217; 10/24/17 07:31 AM.

Undercarriage lever a bit sticky was it, Sir?
#4386505 - 10/24/17 10:37 AM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: Johan217]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Johan217

There are occasions when the use of a language in a movie puts me off, like German soldiers speaking Dutch in (I think) Aces High, or Richard Burton butchering the German language without raising suspicion in Raid on Rommel (which was an awful movie anyway). But other than that I do not care smile

The example that comes immediately to my mind is Clint Eastwood in "Firefox". There's no way that Russian of his would have passed muster when he was disguised as a GRU officer and he had to get past the guard checkpoint in order to get into the aircraft facility. LOL

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4386518 - 10/24/17 01:09 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
And who could forget Kevin Costner?

"Robin of Locksley...how ya doin'?"

Thanks for the video, PM. I look forward to showing it to Joanna. She'll be proud of it.

And yes, I can hear the Polish accent in it, haha. In particular the rolling Rs, heh. Otherwise, it is nice to hear Latin again--I studied it for 2 years. Not long, but enough. You can get a pretty good command of the language since it is so old and doesn't have such a huge vocabulary like languages of today. Plus, knowing Latin helps me understand the mechanics of Polish with its declinations etc.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4386530 - 10/24/17 02:27 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Very interesting. And a nicely done film.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4386533 - 10/24/17 02:51 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: adlabs6]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by adlabs6
Very interesting. And a nicely done film.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it! I'm amazed how much was done with what was essentially a film school student budget.

#4386537 - 10/24/17 03:19 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
TerribleTwo Offline
Hotshot
TerribleTwo  Offline
Hotshot

Modern makeup. Yuck. Should have used only the makeup women used then. That means no lipstick for the ladies.

"College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and wondering when they can move out and get going with life" - Paul Ryan
#4386542 - 10/24/17 03:56 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

I was more puzzled by what Marcus Otto was doing in 'German' border provinces - his province was in Spain...

Also, how Poppea was visiting him when she had died in Rome as a result of (variously) a miscarriage or at the hand of Nero.

Other than that it was well done, but I am annoyed by the butchering of what history was passed down to fit in with a story which could as easily be modified to suit the real framework.

#4386546 - 10/24/17 04:22 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
finlander Offline
finlander  Offline

Oulu town, USA
Thanks for this, I will watch tonite.

#4386557 - 10/24/17 06:06 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Pretty cool. I ikela hista oviema eryva uchma. smile If anything it adds a great deal to a period movie as opposed to the often used German Nazis speaking with Brittish accent route. I understand what I'm watching so I can suspend belief pretty easily and use my imagination if I allow myself especially if its a story or time I'm interested in. Sometimes I just don't want to read subtitles so I still enjoy movies like Valkyrie because the story and acting and production value are of higher levels and compensates. If they did voice it in German though it would enhance it all the more but again, I appreciate not having to read subtitles all the time.

This in part is what made Passion of the Christ such a great film using Aramaic, Hebrew and Latin. It often has a transporting effect and creates that feel that you've actually stepped back in time and takes your mind beyond the fourth wall.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4386559 - 10/24/17 06:14 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: Coot]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Coot

This in part is what made Passion of the Christ such a great film using Aramaic, Hebrew and Latin. It often has a transporting effect and creates that feel that you've actually stepped back in time and takes your mind beyond the fourth wall.

Using the correct historical languages was a huge plus for me when I watched "The Passion". It was definitely the right creative decision.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/24/17 06:15 PM.

#4386603 - 10/24/17 09:56 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Me too....

It gave me a lot of chances to practice my Aramaic...oh wait...who would know??? Was it really closet greek??...and why were they in the closet anyway????

To me Aramaic sounds like... like Romulan...or possibly an obscure Romanian mountain dialect.

I did like the "authentic" Aztec howling in Apocalypto. Kinda reminded me of ISIS...the muslim cult, not the false Egyptian god.

Just wondering how many live experts we have on what ancient languages sounded like....... reading

Last edited by Nixer; 10/24/17 09:57 PM. Reason: Dates, figs, camels and Gilchrist

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4386647 - 10/25/17 10:30 AM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: Nixer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Nixer

Just wondering how many live experts we have on what ancient languages sounded like....... reading

I can't speak for Aramaic or other languages but there do exist several ancient Latin texts that outline the basic rules of pronounciation for classical Latin. Do current day linguists have a 100% accurate idea of what classical Latin sounded like? No but they have a very well founded, close idea.

Check this video out,

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/25/17 10:31 AM.

#4387078 - 10/28/17 02:03 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Coot

Using the correct historical languages was a huge plus for me when I watched "The Passion". It was definitely the right creative decision.

I just want to say "spot on." Even if we can't really validate the accuracy of past language use one hundred percent or even one percent, the point is that these are creative decisions which enhance the cinematic experience. Effort put into historical accuracy is a plus, but in my opinion not necessarily central.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4387230 - 10/29/17 06:28 PM Re: What a difference the correct language makes [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Well, someone's got to link it!

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.