Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4386230 - 10/22/17 05:42 AM Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride?  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
What if Age Is Nothing but a Mind-Set?

One day in the fall of 1981, eight men in their 70s stepped out of a van in front of a converted monastery in New Hampshire. They shuffled forward, a few of them arthritically stooped, a couple with canes. Then they passed through the door and entered a time warp. Perry Como crooned on a vintage radio. Ed Sullivan welcomed guests on a black-and-white TV. Everything inside — including the books on the shelves and the magazines lying around — were designed to conjure 1959. This was to be the men’s home for five days as they participated in a radical experiment, cooked up by a young psychologist named Ellen Langer.

<snipped>.

The men in the experimental group were told not merely to reminisce about this earlier era, but to inhabit it — to “make a psychological attempt to be the person they were 22 years ago,” she told me. “We have good reason to believe that if you are successful at this,” Langer told the men, “you will feel as you did in 1959.” From the time they walked through the doors, they were treated as if they were younger. The men were told that they would have to take their belongings upstairs themselves, even if they had to do it one shirt at a time.

Each day, as they discussed sports (Johnny Unitas and Wilt Chamberlain) or “current” events (the first U.S. satellite launch) or dissected the movie they just watched (“Anatomy of a Murder,” with Jimmy Stewart), they spoke about these late-'50s artifacts and events in the present tense — one of Langer’s chief priming strategies. Nothing — no mirrors, no modern-day clothing, no photos except portraits of their much younger selves — spoiled the illusion that they had shaken off 22 years.

<snipped>

The experimental subjects, Langer told me, had “put their mind in an earlier time,” and their bodies went along for the ride.

++++++++++

I found this experiment and the results interesting. I kinda live in the past myself but I don't pretend that I'm actually living in a earlier era, I simply indulge (maybe overindulge) in things I enjoyed most about a previous time. These older guys were actually pretending it was decades earlier (that they were decades younger) and their bodies responded positively. Glad they didn't break a hip with the spontaneous game of touch-football. smile

I need to watch Cocoon again.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4386232 - 10/22/17 06:00 AM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Wrong movie, it's "Somewhere in time"

#4386249 - 10/22/17 01:44 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Never heard of it. Asked wife about it this morning, "That's one of my favorites! Let's watch it this afternoon!" Apparently we have the DVD and I assume I'll be watching what sounds to me like a chick flick later today. rolleyes

The sun is in the east
#4386256 - 10/22/17 02:16 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
The film is interesting, and has a fine soundtrack.

But an interested topic, in any case. How would this work back in the caveman days?

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4386300 - 10/22/17 11:02 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: adlabs6]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Originally Posted by adlabs6
The film is interesting, and has a fine soundtrack.

But an interested topic, in any case. How would this work back in the caveman days?

You reminisce about when the Australopithecus won the World Series? biggrin

#4386301 - 10/22/17 11:13 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
There I was....next to the cave entrance...looking at the blood trail.

What could I do to console her? How could anyone console her?

After all, that sabre-tooth had just carried off what would have been the progenitor of the line culminating in <insert your least favorite hollywood star/politician here>, yep that person.

Ahhh...

Now I feel better.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4386305 - 10/22/17 11:54 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
adlabs6 Offline
Veteran
adlabs6  Offline
Veteran

Tracy Island
Hahah!

Well I suppose I was simply taking this idea of surrounding ones self with "an era" having an influence on the mind and even body, back past the days of the "era". Prior to masses of industrialized products being grouped together over the decades, and the improvements and changes marking these "eras"...

How does this idea work prior to that point? When most things a person encountered had a good chance of being locally or regionally made, and for many things, even home made. Was the sense of "an era" tied as much to the dating of objects which surrounded us, or was it more something else? Places, music, or people? Without photography and audio/video playback, and the indelible nature they lend to the sense of "an era", I wonder if it must have been very little different to how we must experience written reports of events, music, places, and people which date from before these media which capture and preserve them.

What would a group of 70 year olds living in 1881 have thought "carried them back" to 1859? Or 1781 going back to 1759?

Last edited by adlabs6; 10/22/17 11:57 PM.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.
#4386319 - 10/23/17 03:10 AM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Somewhere in Time...decent flick, a different take on time travel. Oops, damn worthless penny!

The sun is in the east
#4386321 - 10/23/17 04:29 AM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
So throw me into a room with chap furniture, a TV with knobs on it, DEVO playing on a record player and coffee in a percolator and I'd suddenly feel....hung over?

YMMV on your youthful experience.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4386386 - 10/23/17 03:26 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Lol, Dart! biggrin

Pffft...who needs remote control, anyway? Only makes you lazy. If I could go back to 1991 my place would look something like this...

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Apartment.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4386433 - 10/23/17 07:07 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
The funny thing is I have a friend who's place looks like a circa 1985 time capsule....rural edition.

So loads of 1970's touches as well, such as as the random colored low shag carpet and the yellow shower.

The only upgrades seemed to be cordless phones to supplement the one hanging on the wall between the kitchen and the living room and a flat screen TV that looks somewhat anachronistic in the huge wood cabinet/entertainment center.

He's still using the Bose 301 speakers I gave to him when I joined the Army. smile

I visited him a month or so ago and we sat drinking Miller High Life, Johnny Walker Black, and listening to old records of our college era. Being really weird sort of guys, that would be everything from C.W. McCall to B.B. King.

I felt no younger than my present self, and owing to the fact that we're the kind of friends that can go ten years without seeing each other and in five minutes pick right back up like we talk every day, felt pretty normal. Neither of us have rose colored glasses on the past, though, so no wallowing in nostalgia.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4386467 - 10/23/17 10:55 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Pretty cool, Dart. I almost purchased a pair of Series II 301's years ago, what a classic bookshelf speaker. My man cave 201's don't compare.

As far as home décor, I prefer more traditional vs. contemporary (interior and exterior), but even the 1970's is too recent for my tastes. I try to go country/old-fashion as much as possible.

++++++++++

Thinking more about this...there's a couple of ways to live in the past, I think. One is to reminisce about the good ol' days. I do a lot of that here, not so much in real life (this place is my outlet for enjoying some rose-colored nostalgia). In real life I like to try to actually relive it sometimes, as much as possible. For example, going see 'Guns N' Roses' (tribute) and making a real date of it. Pre-show: Cleaning up the car and man cave (occasionally 'my pad' for the evening), picking out the nicest clothes that fit, best cologne, nice but reasonable dinner, impeccable manners with a little flirting, that kinda stuff.

Of course I know it's not really 1987 but damn if it doesn't feel like it sometimes (except I no longer have to comb my hair smile ). Post-show: Straight to the pad (else it spoils the illusion), dim lighting, 80's hairband playlist on the stereo, drink or two (optional). With the proper mindset and participation, you can actually get yourself a mild case of the butterflies again. biggrin

I think that's what these guys were feeling, not in a romantic setting, but like they're halfway back into yesteryear. I'd like to recreate that feeling with flight sims and get that magic back (as some have referred to it). I'm getting closer, even with the really old sims (have long disassociated myself from post-DOS graphics) but it's still not like it was in the early 90's. I remember being alone in my cave, lights dimmed really low with no distractions, flying stealth missions over Iraq and the North Cape in F-117A. I was completely immersed in the mission. I want that back and I'm not convinced it's impossible.

The sun is in the east
#4386594 - 10/24/17 09:21 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
This will throw you into a quick time warp. This afternoon I received a 'new' book in the mail with accompanying media (see pic below).

I can handle a 3.5 but if I get a 5.25 I'm in trouble. smile

Attached Files Book_floppy.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4386778 - 10/26/17 03:47 AM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
I think I still have a 5.25 player in my dead computer parts bin. Now whether it still works after all these years is another matter...
Even finding a new 3.5 internal floppy drive is next to impossible anymore. Almost all of them are external drives now.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4386966 - 10/27/17 05:06 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm currently using DOSBox on my most current desktop PC (2005?), had to pull out an even older PC with a 3.5 floppy drive from the closet to read the disk which worked perfectly. smile

I've been toying with the idea of going full retro with my man cave (office bedroom), to have that one room in the house that takes me back, complete with strobe and black light posters. Maybe include a 486DX2/66 w/CRT and a vintage hi-fi stereo with turntable, especially since LPs have made a comeback (pic below, last year in Houston).

But I always talk myself out of it, the time and expense, my iPod Shuffles being so convenient as is DOSBox.

Attached Files Houston_01.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4386995 - 10/27/17 08:00 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm currently using DOSBox on my most current desktop PC (2005?), had to pull out an even older PC with a 3.5 floppy drive from the closet to read the disk which worked perfectly. smile

I've been toying with the idea of going full retro with my man cave (office bedroom), to have that one room in the house that takes me back, complete with strobe and black light posters. Maybe include a 486DX2/66 w/CRT and a vintage hi-fi stereo with turntable, especially since LPs have made a comeback (pic below, last year in Houston).

But I always talk myself out of it, the time and expense, my iPod Shuffles being so convenient as is DOSBox.

Glad to hear the machine was still kicking. You might want to consider changing the CMOS batter now that you have it out or you may not be as lucky next time.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4387025 - 10/28/17 12:59 AM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Even finding a new 3.5 internal floppy drive is next to impossible anymore.

Four on Amazon right now.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=internal+floppy+drive

Finding a decent mobo with the right connections might be another matter though. wink

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4387191 - 10/29/17 01:49 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'd love to have my first PC back just to play around with it...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Attached Files DSCF4134.JPGTandy 1000SX First Advertisement.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4387262 - 10/29/17 10:32 PM Re: Put your mind in an earlier time and your body goes along for the ride? [Re: MarkG]  
Tarnsman Offline
Hotshot
Tarnsman  Offline
Hotshot

USA
That doesn't make me feel younger.
old_simmer

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.