Hop To
Page 27 of 30 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 30
#4385868 - 10/19/17 10:07 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
Nacman Offline
Nacman  Offline

Georgia
Originally Posted by DBond
And plenty of bad info too biggrin

It sucks that the antenna rotary is dead, as I would really like to pair the old stick and new throttle. Guess some of my own mod work is in order. Like I will ever get around to that. At least I have a mostly working backup.

I assume when you mean dead you checked raw data? How comfortable are you taking the throttle apart? Try reading the POT and checking for accidental wire disconnection.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4385937 - 10/20/17 01:26 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I haven't taken it apart before, but I know how to. I'll open it up and see what's what. The pot does not read anything in calibration or Foxy. And the detent is absent.

Axe, if you find out anything I'd like to know, thanks. I'm guessing the pot needs to be replaced. but maybe it's just a loose connection or something like that.

So I got in a couple more hops in Rolling Fire last night. Gear's all set aside from headset and mic. On the last flight, I fragged a solo BARCAP near a very active front south of Kaesong. Took four slammer-Cs and two 9X's plus bags. Got vectored on to a pair of MiG-21s and engaged with the Sidewinders. I was diving and fired. The MiG was in a climbing turn from my right to left. Halfway between I noticed a flash on the edge of my vision off to the right. No missile hit the MiG. So I fired my second and knocked him down.

In the debrief I got a court martial! Turns out that first 'Winder had hit a F-5 that happened to pass through the engagement and just got in the way. Dammit! I wouldn't be surprised it if hit the F-5 ballistically. Just my luck, and cost me 400 points! D

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4385938 - 10/20/17 01:38 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Evil I might be but it feels good I'm not the only one reporting blue-on-blue here biggrin
Thank you DBond, thank you haha.

#4385946 - 10/20/17 02:00 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I aim to please.
That's my 7th frat kill in about 280 BMS campaign sorties according to the log book. Not a single one was when a friendly was targeted. All were rogue slammers or this sidewinder, aside from a single HARM that I shot while flying with Ice for the first time. That was in Under Siege and if you look, there is a Red SAM system based at a Blue airbase. I killed it and got a frat. Some sort of ownership issue.

Since I don't want to reach the rank of General, rather silly innit, these fratricides are designed to keep my points down. Yeah that's it biggrin

Wut I think is that if you target and subsequently fire on a friendly, you'll get some sort of snarky remark form your unfortunate friend. So when fratricides occur without that radio remark, it's likely that you didn't mistakenly target a friendly. In many cases, especially with slammers, your target is destroyed while the missile is in flight and it locks on the next thing, which is why it's so dangerous to lob slammers in to a fray. Of course I haven't killed friendlies in every possible way, so perhaps sometimes this radio remark is absent, dunno.

#4385977 - 10/20/17 04:57 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

I had a really hard time closing the throttle after some work I did. I do not want to open the handle part of it again, ever if I don't have too. Could be just me though, I don't do so good with small wires and such.
In order to attempt to get some deoxit on those handle pots, I just held it upside down,and/or move the knob, and shot some in it hoping it would drain down to the pot.
I think it worked. They feel really good, better, but I wasn't having spiking issues with those. I'll say this DBond, the antenna knob feels smoother. It might be an quick and easy way
to get some cleaner lube in it.

re: fratricide.................I pick seat 4 and request Trail formation............lol.

#4385981 - 10/20/17 05:04 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: -Axe-]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by -Axe-

re: fratricide.................I pick seat 4 and request Trail formation............lol.

That's a good plan until we call an in-place turn biggrin

#4385989 - 10/20/17 05:49 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
-Axe- Offline
-Axe-  Offline

So I am indeed screwed!!!!!

Well I knew I was anyway, you can't talk the kinda smack I talk without some bad karma juju coming my way.

Won't be long, theOden, and I'll have a report for ya too :-)

#4385990 - 10/20/17 06:21 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
We'll see soon enough! I have yet to have anyone I've flown with report being shot down by me. But there's a first time for everything...

Another PSA for anyone looking for a HOTAS upgrade.

Warthog for sale, BMS forum.

https://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?32052-Warthog-FS

#4386088 - 10/21/17 03:38 AM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Glad you guys got my butt in gear. Fun to be flying again. Tonight I managed 3 hops. A straight BARCAP, then a SDB atttack on HART sites, and finally a Mark Eight Four strike on a nuclear plant. This is in a Vet Rolling Fire. Blue went on the offensive in mid-afternoon of day 1. I also managed not to kill any friendlies.

#4386097 - 10/21/17 07:24 AM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
What times are you guys likely to fly? Need to know if I have to start dusting off the cobwebs again or if I shouldn't bother as you may be flying at 2am local time smile

- Ice
#4386103 - 10/21/17 09:06 AM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Another PSA for anyone looking for a HOTAS upgrade.
Warthog for sale, BMS forum.
https://www.bmsforum.org/forum/showthread.php?32052-Warthog-FS

Nothing against the guy, but I would be a bit careful dealing with him. He says on his post that the WH has at most 2 hours on it which I find hard to believe. If you look at his forum history, he signed up on April, started posting in August, and then sells his TM WH (again!!) two months after supposedly starting BMS. He's either just been talking about learning BMS and having issues with the HUD and was not really flying, hence the 2-hour claim, or the HOTAS has more than 2 hours on it. Either way, I personally have red flags coming up.

His first post is HERE and you will read his story about trying out DCS A10C and getting a TM WH which he then sells. He realized it was a mistake to sell his first WH, so I don't understand why he's selling his second WH too. He also mentions giving up BMS and going back to DCS in this thread HERE, so again, I don't understand why he's selling his WH unless he's totally going out of the flight simming hobby.

I would also recommend having a read of this thread HERE and make up your own mind about the guy.

- Ice
#4386116 - 10/21/17 12:31 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well, I would agree that anyone giving up BMS for DCS ain't quite right...

Threads like that make my head hurt. Still, you bring up a good point, and it's always true that buyer beware. It could be legit, maybe not. I know when I bought my second Cougar many doubts ran through my mind, but when I weighed it all up I felt OK about it. Sending money to a stranger hoping he comes good on his end is always a risk.

There's a BuzzU who is a member here. I recall him involved in this forum in the AF days. Not sure if it's the same guy.

What got Arty banned over at the BMS forum? Just curious.

#4386117 - 10/21/17 12:32 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Oh... we will probably be flying around 9 PM eastern time here in the US. Surely too late for Euros, but if you find yourself with a case of insomnia, hit us up!

#4386123 - 10/21/17 12:54 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC

What got Arty banned over at the BMS forum? Just curious.

I use DCS with the Oculus Rift for the immersion, but haven't touched it in 6 weeks or so.

And I looked up his last few posts. Turkey/Greece political argument in a thread originally about the F-16V.

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#4386128 - 10/21/17 01:31 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK I saw the thread. Politics I guess?

Don't take my ragging on DCS personally, it's clearly not for me, but other folks enjoy it.

#4386129 - 10/21/17 01:33 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
RogueSqdn Offline
USAF Veteran
RogueSqdn  Offline
USAF Veteran

Advance, NC
Oh no I don’t take it personally. I’m just saying it has a BIG plus side with VR support. If BMS had that working I doubt I’d ever touch DCS. Well at least not until the Hornet is available. 😜

Jared
-----
FalconNW MachV, Obutto R3volution

DEFENSOR FORTIS

#4386135 - 10/21/17 02:47 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK cool and I didn't think so. thumbsup

#4386156 - 10/21/17 05:32 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

It's not just that.... it's the see-saw, in-and-out, "I'm leaving... no, I'm not" act that he's pulling which makes me (and others) think that he's not really there for BMS but rather for trolling.

Threads like that make my head hurt. Still, you bring up a good point, and it's always true that buyer beware. It could be legit, maybe not. I know when I bought my second Cougar many doubts ran through my mind, but when I weighed it all up I felt OK about it. Sending money to a stranger hoping he comes good on his end is always a risk.

Indeed, it is always buyer beware, but also get a feel of the character of the person you are buying it from.

Oh... we will probably be flying around 9 PM eastern time here in the US. Surely too late for Euros, but if you find yourself with a case of insomnia, hit us up!

That makes it 1am or 2am local frown No chance of you guys flying earlier? Maybe 7pm eastern?

- Ice
#4386162 - 10/21/17 05:49 PM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
There's a chance sure. A few of us are getting together Wednesday evening and we'll see where it goes from there. Earlier is probably do-able, at least for me.

#4386318 - 10/23/17 03:08 AM Re: My Falcon Odyssey [Re: DBond]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
I won't be home from work until around 8PM EST and need an hour to get cleaned up and get some grub in me. I can do earlier on Sat./Sun., but not on weekdays.

@Ice
If you want to put up something on a weekend, I'm game, but sometimes I'm out of town or otherwise busy.

Last edited by schnidrman; 10/23/17 03:12 AM.

[Linked Image]
Page 27 of 30 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 30

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.