Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 157 of 227 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 226 227
#4385644 - 10/18/17 04:40 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Great Carrick, Now reading your flights, I’m sure after my French Nieuport12 campaign has ended, normally it last 2 weeks max, I’m going for a Strutter campaign.

Flying the Nieuport12 campaign for the British was only 3 flights before being shot down by an Albatros.

#4385661 - 10/18/17 05:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Well Dutch, the strutted is a good choice. It's a stable gun platform and a good turn fighter but remember the Albatros is more powerful so be careful about running away.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4385668 - 10/18/17 06:07 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Dutch,

I agree with Robert, but remember that by mid-1917 the Strutter is well past its prime. As I recall, 70 Squadron flew Strutters and suffered the highest percentage losses in the RFC in one month. To get the perspective of a Strutter pilot, read "An AIrman's Outings" by Alan Bott of 70 Sqn, writing under the pseudonym "Contact." The book is available for download from the Internet Archive.

#4385731 - 10/19/17 01:17 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Robert, another great video. Carrick, good luck with your new pilot. Dutch -- "Welkom" back to the campaign!

It's been a long wait, but I can fly again tomorrow. Here is the latest installment from Geoffrey Corderoy...

Diary of 2/Lieut. Geoffrey Corderoy, RFC
Part 8: 18-20 June 1917

18 June 1917 – No. 51 Casualty Clearing Station, Merville

Bloody hard going these days, but I’m able to walk a bit farther with each try. It feels as though the muscle is gone from the leg even though the muscles and tendons are unharmed except for a few bits of bone they took out. Thompson brought another sack of mail today for me to censor. Jolly nice of him. The fellow is terribly excited about going back to Blighty for pilot training.

Thompson had me dictate my report of my last flight for the record. I referred to the second group of HAs that surprised me as I was lining up my Albatros and he informed me that by the latest issue of Routine Orders they were not to be referred to any longer as “Hostile Aircraft.” We are to use “Enemy Aircraft” instead.[1] Somewhere there is a red tab very worried that we shan’t fire at Huns who aren’t hostile enough, I suppose.

The RO is a good sort. He takes the same size shoe as me and is leaving his fug boots in my hut. Mine were ruined when I was shot and cut off me at the CCS. He’s also going to see if I can be released from this place tomorrow in order to attend the farewell binge for the chaps going to HE.

I gave Thompson a sketch of a step ladder I want the shops to build for me. Yesterday afternoon I spent time climbing through a window from the dispensary into the back garden, experimenting to see how I might climb into a Pup given the inability to bend my left knee fully yet. I think if the ladder is high enough I can step directly onto the seat. I’ll need to put a six or eight inch block of wood on the seat and hold onto the top plane. Then I should be able to pull the left leg over the fairing and onto the seat without too much trouble. Once I drop the block over the side I can easily step down and get myself settled in.

19 June 1917

Freedom at last! The tender came around at eleven and I signed all the paperwork to get myself out of here, although the brigade medical officer still has to clear me for active duty. I had the driver stop at a store I’d seen in Merville to buy a very fine blackthorn stick topped with a silver eagle’s head. Should be quite the thing to thump anyone who teases me about the way I walk.

Rain all day. Caught up on news and played ludo with Kay, winning £1/7. There are four new chaps: Shadwell, Ferrie, Hughes, and Tonks. I chatted a while with Harry Tonks – Australian, very inexperienced.

20 June 1917

Still quite unfit for duty, although not because of the leg. The binge last night reached historic proportions. Pre-dinner drunk, fine meal interspersed with bread fights and Courtneige spilling my wine – twice! Afterwards the drinking continued in the anteroom with Normie Dimmock hammering out the regular ditties on the piano. Each one of us had to lead a tune, declared the major. I thought I’d bid the fellows farewell with a rendition of “Goodbyee!”

Good-bye-ee! good-bye-ee!
Wipe the tear, baby dear, from your eye-ee.
Tho' it's hard to part I know,
I'll be tickled to death to go. (I sang “You’ll)
Don't cry-ee! don't sigh-ee!
There's a silver lining in the sky-ee.
Bonsoir old thing, cheerio! chin chin!
Nah-poo! Toodle-oo!
Good-bye-ee!

Once the horseplay started to get rough I took a triple whiskey back to my hut and retired to my virtuous couch, as they say. Or at least I tried to. My sheets were damp with the humidity of the past few days and they were infested with earwigs. I needed to strip the bed and place my sleeping bag on the mattress. As I sipped the whiskey and tried to finish my cigarette before nodding off, the guns started a new drumroll and the frogs from the pond behind the hut started up in harmony. I was home.

Kay took the new fellows up today. Lee regaled me in the mess with tales of how many times and in how many ways they came close to killing him or each other. Apparently, formation flying is not in the training curriculum these days.

Writing this from bed, 10 pm. Went off to see the MO today and have a qualified approval to fly tomorrow. I need to change dressings more often and check back with him every few days. Oh, and he advised me not to let any more Huns shoot bullets into the knee. So many things to remember!

Notes:

[1] This instruction came down to the squadron on 14 June 1917.

#4385811 - 10/19/17 04:17 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Nice find

#4385812 - 10/19/17 04:21 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ignace de Lyons
Adjutant
SOP 107, Flez., Flanders
Recon/ Bombardment.

Oct 19, 1917.

Morning Recon: Power loss shortly after take off , but I it made back ok.

Afternoon: Security Patrol No contact

Last edited by carrick58; 10/21/17 01:09 AM.
#4385819 - 10/19/17 04:34 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Dutch: I agree with Mr. Wiggins and Raine By 1917 Strutters were getting long in the tooth. Best option, dont fight against equal or more odds. If you get trapped dont fight Spin to low level and do a Blue Max towards home. Sometimes it works. Good luck.

#4385940 - 10/20/17 01:40 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Edgar Everheart
8RNAS

The residents of Cornwall will morn tonight
Edgar Everheart did not return from his last flight
A mid air collision has brought him down
In the mess tonight, it's drinks all around
Was it friend or foe? No one knows
The only thing for certain
Its Edgar's last curtain.

Lots of great stories Gents. I will be off line for a while. No sickness or death just too much real life at one time. Be back in the skies shortly! Ya'll watch your six.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4385958 - 10/20/17 03:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
MFair,

So sorry to hear about the end of a great pilot. Take your break but come back soon, please!!!

#4385973 - 10/20/17 04:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
MFair

As you ride off into the sunset, feel confident that your last post waxed poetic justice to your DiD interludes! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#4386004 - 10/20/17 07:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
New flight on 25th of december 1916, before taking off, my escadrille commander did mention about a perfumed letter from Paris, the sender was M. Zelle. SO COME SAFE BACK, as we all want to know what that is, was shouted by the mechanics!
So we started off from the airstrip for another recon over the front, three Nieuport-XII and Armand Pinsard in his Spad-VII as an support.
[Linked Image]

While entering the front we did noticed some artillery activities, but for the rest it was all quiet, nothing happen.
[Linked Image]

After the mission I did dive, to land as being first at the airstrip.
[Linked Image]

Did a perfect landing and was waiting for the mechanics to release the straps.
[Linked Image]

While the two cats landed after me.
[Linked Image]

even Armand in his Spad, was hurrying to get his plane to the ground. We were never that quick for flying home.
[Linked Image]

I did receive the letter, handed by my commander, it was written in Dutch, so I could read it and she invited me and my flying mates for an silvester party in Paris. My Commander did explain this letter had been traced by the Censors as being from Mata Hari, so he insist to join with us. Still do not know why he was so excited, we will see. bottles

Attached Files Shot1.jpgShot2.jpgShot3.jpgShot4.jpgShot5.jpgpic6.jpg
Last edited by dutch; 10/20/17 08:34 PM.
#4386021 - 10/20/17 09:08 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Some really nice pics Dutch. So...Mata Hari eh!! Interesting...I will stay tuned for further reports!

Albert Earl Godfrey

22 Jun2 1917 @ 05h04 Attack on Hun balloon south of Monchy le Preux

Godfrey awoke to the patter of rain on the roof. The early morning light was streaming in the window at a low angle, just warming his right cheek with it’s rays. He opened his eyes just as the batman entered his room to advise his to hurry if he wanted time for breakfast before the morning briefing.

Godfrey poured some water into the basin and flushed his face with it, taking note of the frigid nature. It was June 22nd but still the nights had been damp and chilly. Glancing out his window he noted the heavy overcast and drizzle.

He hurriedly dressed and shoved his feet into his fug boots, wrapped his silk scarf around his neck and headed for the mess to get a hot cup of tea and some biscuits. That chore having been accomplished, he headed to the briefing room joining his other mates doing the same.

The C.O. wasted no time in announcing the morning patrol objective. It was to be a Hun balloon just south of Monchy-le-Preux. He also called out the assignment for “B” flight. “Listen up. Godfrey will lead the flight with Berkeley on wing. Caldwell, Bishop, Horn, Rutherford and Fry will make up the rest of the complement. This will be a solo assignement for “B” flight with no top cover so keep your eyes peeled.”

This was the first time “Bishop” had joined “B” flight while Godfrey was in lead. Godfrey was aware that Bishop had been mostly making solo sojourns across the lines so his joining “B” flight was somewhat of a surprise. Godfrey made a mental note to keep an eye on him during the mission as he had heard of his headstrong nature.

The flight formed up north of the field in drizzle and heavy cloud at 05h27 and having achieved an altitude of 9,900 ft set out directly for Mont St. Eloi which was on the route.

At 05h32 they arrived over Mont St. Eloi feeling the muggy dampness soaking into their clothes. At least the drizzle had stopped so things were not getting worse.

At 05h35 they had descended to 7,500 ft. over Arras and two minutes later were down to 6,700 ft and crossing the lines in a thick murky soup of a sky.

At 05h41 they were just south of Monchy, approaching the area of the target balloon but the sky was so murky with haze that they almost overflew it.
At the last moment Godfrey made out the outline of the sausage and threw his machine into an almost undesirable dive. He cut throttle and side slipped to slow the N23 down and then having dropped the airspeed, straightened it out for the approach. He took the attack in with all his mates in tow. Godfrey loosed his rockets and pulled out. Looking back he watched as all the rest of the flight did the same. There was brown smoke everywhere and Godfrey could not believe his eyes when he saw the balloon still hanging there as the smoke cleared. Glancing around quickly noticing that no Hun scouts were close by, he swung the flight around for another attack with the Vickers. Godfrey stayed high making sure his flight was going for the balloon and then he joined in diving from above. The balloon burst into flames and there was no telling which machine dealt the final blow, as all were spraying their rounds at the same time. Godfrey wondered if the Observer managed to bail out before the sausage went up in flames. The sight of seven N23’s coming at him all at the same time would probably put the wind up anyone.

Godfrey reformed the flight just west of the balloon and they made their way back to Filescamp without so much as a few archie bursts from the Hun batteries, or the sight of enemy aircraft.

Godfrey took note that Caldwell and Horn did not join them and he wondered if they had run into engine trouble or taken some ground fire. Back at base, while reporting in on the mission, the telephone rang. It was a call from Etrun aerodrome. It seems that both Caldwell and Horn set down there, and in the process Caldwell and Horn collided, destroying their machines and receiving light wounds for their efforts. Both later reported engine failure probably due to ground fire but given the state of their craft it was doubtful if this could be confirmed.

Godfrey was pleased about one thing. He had noted that Bishop had been the consummate pilot and followed all protocol. He felt that he would be able to fly unconcerned, with him in future, if this was the nature of the man.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 10/20/17 09:30 PM.

(System_Specs)

#4386073 - 10/21/17 12:59 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Well done Mr Wiggins. Good pics Dutch

Last edited by carrick58; 10/21/17 01:00 AM.
#4386075 - 10/21/17 01:07 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ignace de Lyons
Adjutant
SOP 107, Flez., Flanders
Recon/ Bombardment.

I got Posted to Esc 26 an they are equipped with Spads. So myself and a bunch of Pilots went off to the local Theater for a relaxing time.

https://youtu.be/lK0gYi1YEZ8

Last edited by carrick58; 10/21/17 01:08 AM.
#4386104 - 10/21/17 09:13 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Good show Mr Carrick.

So Mr Wiggens first watching the video it looks you hunted down two balloons, but after reading your story it was only a smoking one, that only did need a finishing kill.
Same I had in a Rnas Camel campaign, shot him, he was smoking and........ nothing, ergggg.

Last edited by dutch; 10/21/17 09:52 AM.
#4386120 - 10/21/17 12:43 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: dutch]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by dutch
Good show Mr Carrick.

So Mr Wiggens first watching the video it looks you hunted down two balloons, but after reading your story it was only a smoking one, that only did need a finishing kill.
Same I had in a Rnas Camel campaign, shot him, he was smoking and........ nothing, ergggg.

Yes it often happens that the Legend Primer rockets are not effective. I prefer the machine gun.

(System_Specs)

#4386121 - 10/21/17 12:46 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by carrick58
Ignace de Lyons
Adjutant
SOP 107, Flez., Flanders
Recon/ Bombardment.

I got Posted to Esc 26 an they are equipped with Spads. So myself and a bunch of Pilots went off to the local Theater for a relaxing time.

https://youtu.be/lK0gYi1YEZ8

Oh my!!!! What would the Padre say if he knew you folks were watching such a sinful show! biggrin

(System_Specs)

#4386151 - 10/21/17 05:10 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Ignace de Lyons
Adjutant
Esc 26

Oct 21, 1917.

Arrived today, Unpacked ( a Bed Roll and a Bag ) signed in and made the rounds, By late afternoon I did a Test Hop. Sweet, fast, but under armed with just 1 Gun. All the ships seem to be a Wheat color will have to due some re painting at least on mine.

#4386153 - 10/21/17 05:14 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Mr. Wiggins: What percentage would say that the Rockets failed to Fire ? 60 % or higher ?

#4386171 - 10/21/17 07:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
Another front line patrol 26th of december 1916, flight leader Pierre Lomardon. Starting at 7:00h in the mornings so it was all dark and we were suspecting a boring flight. sleepy
[Linked Image]

My rear man just tap me on my shoulder and I did look behind, nothing to explain further.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Two spots on the upper right wing, could be two Germans, so I went for the height. But it appears to be two French MS parasols.
[Linked Image]

After one hour of flying I did made a perfect landing and like the pilot did way back in 1916, shutdown the rotary Engine ehh PC, went downstairs and did eat my breakfast with my wife and after that we enjoyed a good cup of espresso. Guess that is what pilots also did after a early morning flight. Have a nice weekend WOFF'ers readytoeat
[Linked Image]

Attached Files p1.jpgp2.jpgp3.jpgp4.jpgp5.jpgp6.jpgp7.jpg
Last edited by dutch; 10/21/17 07:29 PM.
Page 157 of 227 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM