Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4386016 - 10/20/17 08:56 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I don't think that's quite true.
What I saw was that was only in one area (for now), for nonessential surgery and results in a waiting list, not outright refusal.
Insurance companies aren't always that much better.
Looks like it applies to smokers too. Next, maybe they'll measure alcohol consumption, cholesterol level, time spent sitting, risky hobbies, top speed of your car, how likely your spouse is to nag you to death, would enough people miss you if you died to worry about bothering with you...
LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4386146 - 10/21/17 04:43 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Dart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Dart
I wonder if some of citizens who want socialized medicine would be quite as enamored with it if they knew that they would be refused medical treatment with a 30% BMI if they were in England.

No hernia repairs. If you tear an ACL in your knee to break a hip, buy a wheel chair.

I didn't know it was like this but on quick investigation (not that it matters), it looks like the BMI limit is over 35.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4386147 - 10/21/17 05:00 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I have had doctor's office's have a part on their new patient form that asks if there is a fire arm in your house. I wonder what twisted reason they need that information for?

#4386158 - 10/21/17 05:33 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Zamzow]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Zamzow
Originally Posted by MarkG
Zamzow, thanks for sharing your story. While society is embracing larger sizes (as evident by a plus-size Lands' End catalog we received in the mail), we need to remember that people can be Underweight for their BMI and still be perfectly healthy, it's the way they're designed. So BMI can be inaccurate on *both* ends of the Normal range, although you only hear about the higher end.

I bet some people don't believe you, that you can eat anything you want and as much as you want, and never gain a pound, even if you wanted to. Well, I believe you because I saw it for myself in my wife for many years, although it's not the case anymore (thankfully, the mismatch was too much). If you're like my brother, your metabolism will start to tank about now, but not completely. Tell me, do you consider yourself an ectomorph?

I'm a bit beyond that.

I've been called anorexic, bulimic, and a meth user more times than I could possibly count.

And when I'm below 125lbs I can't blame people...

That's terrible, man. frown

I don't think my wife was ever viciously skinny shamed like that, usually just some friendly picking on by her family, while poking fun of themselves for having the opposite problem. smile It was some of *my* friends and family (relatives, not immediate family) that sometimes crossed the line but not with her, only with me...

"Went to the store and didn't see your girlfriend working, maybe she wasn't facing me."
"Don't blink or you might miss her."
"You wouldn't even see her if not for all the hair." (occasional 80's perm).

The jokes were kinda funny (even she thought so, but mostly indifferent to comments), but simulating a finger down the throat and then upchucking, not so funny. Or "Does she actually eat or does she go the bathroom right after she eats?" "Dude, you need to be more observant, something's not right there."

Assassinating someone's character when their character and personality are the exact opposite of someone with an eating disorder is just plain stupid. This was before the Internet when you couldn't so easily research a subject like anorexia and body types, so I found myself wondering if they were right and I was deluding myself. Yet nothing seemed unordinary except that her appetite never matched her size, but genetically seemed very plausible (when I learned of her father).

Over time our conversations became more personal and I could ask if she ever had health problems due to her size and she had not. A BMI in the mid-15's would affect most girls negatively, with some it would even be dangerous. Her mom had her checked out (I think the school was raising an eyebrow as Karen Carpenter's death was making headlines) and was told that she was in perfect health, just really skinny (1st pic: Age 13, around same age as sister in previous pic).

I think it's worse if the rest of your family is overweight by comparison (2nd pic: 1989 college graduation, with her mom [then 49] and uncle [not sure of age, passed away in his 50's, a gentle giant with a heart of gold])...

Attached Files DSCF3656.JPGDSCF4300.JPG

The sun is in the east
#4386257 - 10/22/17 02:21 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Zamzow, your meth comment made me think of one of my guitar heroes (see pic below). He looks much more normal today (and with new teeth).

People still make comments but it's not that bad. Today if you're thin (which means you're too skinny by default) people will say that you should be eating a 'cheeseburger' instead of a 'salad' and "Why do *you* exercise so much?" (although it isn't excessive at all). Mostly out of genuine concern, how quickly people forget your natural body type when you've let yourself go for a bit, and then are slowly reigning it back in.

Attached Files EVH_Meth.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4387111 - 10/28/17 06:53 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Priceyplanecrasher Offline
Priceyplanecrasher  Offline

Netherlands
If you have a few hours to spare maybe you wanna watch these and maybe it will add a couple of years to your lives.

Basically he says to cut down on sugar, especially those products you eat/drink which you didn't thought that contained it often have 10% or more added sugar, eat more fibres so you won't feel hungry and excersize even if it's just an evening walk.
All the talk about eating too much fat is basically rubbish, in the old days people ate a lot more fat than now (unless you really eat a lot of fat but then you're probably 1% of the people that are really obese).
I can say it did wonders for me even though I lost only 10kg of weight, excercizing added mussle so I still look (and feel) better.

#4387128 - 10/28/17 09:25 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: LB4LB]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I have had doctor's office's have a part on their new patient form that asks if there is a fire arm in your house. I wonder what twisted reason they need that information for?

That's where I would lie on the form. Hospitals and doctor's offices are not well known for data security. Since I have not approved their security measures (or was even asked to review them to see if I might approve) I cannot in good conscience risk my home being targeted as a place where a burglar may acquire a firearm. The doctor or hospital has no right to instigate any such criminally dangerous potential....or to know what my damned possessions are in the first place.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4387306 - 10/30/17 08:42 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: 462cid]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by 462cid
Originally Posted by LB4LB

That's where I would lie on the form. Hospitals and doctor's offices are not well known for data security. Since I have not approved their security measures (or was even asked to review them to see if I might approve) I cannot in good conscience risk my home being targeted as a place where a burglar may acquire a firearm. The doctor or hospital has no right to instigate any such criminally dangerous potential....or to know what my damned possessions are in the first place.

That would be something an INSURANCE company wants to know.

And hospitals / doctors offices were GREAT at data security when patient charts were on PAPER.

Believe me, I used to serve subpoenas for medical records all the time. Back in the paper age. I could have a Civil Subpoena (rather than the weaker Subpoena Duces Tecum) and still run into problems because nobody wanted to get sued.....

EDIT: Hell I could even have an actual patient authorization. There were three levels to getting peoples medical records - at the top would be a Civil Subpoena (a literal court order from a judge), the Subpoena Duces Tecum (where an attorney had legal right of discovery), and straight up patient authorization (where the the patient involved in the litigation WANTED the records shown to help their own case). If the case was convoluted in any way I'd sometimes run into resistance EVEN WITH the patient's own signature on that authorization! Questions of forgery, etc (I'm just the process server, I have NO dog in that hunt!). People just DON'T want to be sued.....

Last edited by Zamzow; 10/30/17 09:26 AM.
#4387439 - 10/30/17 08:54 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
...but nobody said the Doctor wanted it there or that it was his or her idea or argued that it was not because of insurance. It was merely said that it was on a form at the doctor's office and that a possibly shady ulterior motive was present. Neither I nor LB4LB are childish so I fail to see why you decided to emphasize that it was for INSURANCE as if we may be. I at the least understand it is for insurance. Same reason my hospital bills are so high.

I agree 100% on your other points.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4387444 - 10/30/17 09:37 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
As I recall, the whole 'doctors asking about guns in the home' thing did not originate with insurance companies, but rather with certain medical associations. The following links are offered, as they provide indications of where the policies were being driven from. (Do not turn this into a PWEC discussion)

Have a check-up? Why your doctor might ask you if you own a gun.

Should Doctors Ask About Gun Ownership?

What To Do When Your Doctor Asks About Your Guns

Anybody who wants to delve into the policy/politics aspect of it is welcome to start a thread on it in PWEC.

#4387501 - 10/31/17 05:16 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

As usual a discussion of one topic leads to the legalities of it, and then somehow GUNS come up.

Lock the goddamn thread.

#4387574 - 10/31/17 06:55 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The only guns worthy of this thread should be the ones we’re developing on our right AND left.
woot

Attached Files 02D43AC3-562E-407C-A3BF-3B84B93D40C1.png

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4387587 - 10/31/17 08:21 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
thumbsup

Let's not let Wonder Woman outgun us! biggrin

Attached Files GG_WO.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4387589 - 10/31/17 08:24 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Sorry for the thread derail. I blame my thread attention deficit syndrome.

#4387619 - 10/31/17 10:53 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It's Community Hall, threadjacks are part of the deal.

#4387620 - 10/31/17 10:59 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Are anti-depressant drugs a reason for weight gain?

"According to Norman Sussman M.D., a psychiatrist and associate dean for postgraduate medical programs at the NYU School of Medicine, the side effects of weight gain appear with long term use of anti-depressants, generally appearing after 6 months of first starting the usage of the drugs, although some anti-depressant drugs can cause weight gain both in the short term and long term.

Antidepressants have been associated with weight gain since they were first used about 50 years ago, according to Psychology Today. One woman even reported that she went from petite to obese, gaining 100 pounds in weight after having started the usage of anti-depressant drugs.

About 70% of people in the United States are overweight and, in a cruel catch-22, many of the drugs used to treat obesity-linked conditions such as diabetes, high blood pressure, and depression can themselves cause weight gain, according to Health.com."

https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-41868.html

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4387622 - 10/31/17 11:13 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
IMO, no, certainly not to the tune of 100 lbs.
Anti-anxiety drugs (often the same as for depression) may help you just worry less about being overweight...removing that anxiety basically, but to go to that length is to WAY overestimate the effectiveness of the drugs. Sounds more like an excuse.
Just my opinion of course, but I've taken my share of prescriptions and I don't blame that for my weight gain.

There IS a vicious cycle that you can fall into. A legitimate reason for not being able to exercise, which means things may get worse, putting you in worse shape and so on. I was in a situation like that about the time I started putting on weight. I'd always had bad heart burn. It got worse and became acid reflux. That acid getting into my lungs at night burned my lungs, reducing my air to less than 50%. I about passed out taking a lung capacity test and could barely register on it. I was told NOT to exercise, my body couldn't handle it yet due to my lungs. At first they blamed asthma/allergies (which I do have, but not remotely THAT bad) and didn't catch on that it was the acid reflux (I didn't either). After a year or more, a doc put me on something for the reflux, catching on that was the issue. Over time things cleared up just fine.
No issues now. At the time though, exercise wasn't an option.

#4387626 - 10/31/17 11:37 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I'm in a cleft stick, suffering from Stage 4 prostate cancer, my only option is to suffer implants every three months to suppress my testosterone. This has resulted in an instant weight gain of 10 kilos, taking me to 87 kilos. I eat properly and visit the gymn each week day doing 3 kilometres running but can't move any weight. The doc tells me that the cancer is in remission only because of the implant, so.... if I discontinue this the cancer takes off again. Though I will lose weight. biggrin

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4387631 - 11/01/17 12:05 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
Much respect for you Mad Max. That is sure some serious motivation to keep moving. I am lucky if I can get around the block. I have three post surgical hernias that have kept me from exercising. My radiation treatments damaged nerves in my lower spine too. Even though I am not eating very much, I have gained weight, to the point of being considered "obese". I am 5' 4" and weigh 175 lbs.. I went to a physical therapist, but that was like torture. I think I am going to try and find a school or gym were I can start swimming some laps.

We over bought on the Halloween candy. We didn't get many trick or treaters. Now we have a huge bowl of candy on the kitchen table. Must resist......

Last edited by LB4LB; 11/01/17 12:09 AM.
#4387645 - 11/01/17 03:14 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Max, thats awesome about the remission! Sorry if I missed that in another thread. One thing at a time, weight is nothing to deal with comparatively.
When I quit smoking I put on some weight. The doc told me weight is a helluva lot better situation than smoking. Deal with the weight later. It turned out to be much later, and after dealing with the reflux (more or less) but hey, I’m doing it now. LOL It’s all progress, just takes time.

I hear ya LB4LB, I’ve told everyone to hide away what they want to keep because all leftovers I find are going in the trash. I like a Heath bar with my coffee entirely too much to leave temptation around! If it isn’t here, there’s no temptation.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.