Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4385004 - 10/14/17 10:00 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
my wife is bringing me a sandwich from Schlotzsky's - I'm not fat but i have too much excess body fat just the same - If i don't cut back i won't live to see 85 (my goal)

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4385005 - 10/14/17 10:05 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What's funny is that Hollywood's perception of what is "fat" is diverging even further from what society in general looks like.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4385008 - 10/14/17 10:45 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
What's funny is that Hollywood's perception of what is "fat" is diverging even further from what society in general looks like.

I don't know much about Hollywood, other than the robot chick that looked pretty good to me a couple years back (never saw the movie). I've heard gripes about skinny fashion models and such and actually looked at a Vouge not long ago while waiting in the lobby at Woman's Hospital. Forgetting the fact that every model is certainly much taller than I am, and what, around 18? They all looked way too artsy-fartsy to me, with frowns and weird hair. I don't get it, but being a 50 year-old regular Joe, I'm probably not suppose to. smile

You could argue that they should put more normal/average sized women in these rags (average as in healthy mesomorphs, not healthy or unhealthy ecotomorphs or endomorphs). I'm all for that, whatever (like I'm going to see it). Instead, we're getting 'plus-size' swimsuit models in SI and I don't get that either.

I think men are getting short-changed here. How about more Danny DeVito types in razor commercials? Those six-packing studs are going to end up giving me body image issues! biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4385009 - 10/14/17 10:45 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
True.
IMO, part of the problem is not so much fast food restaurants as the fact that we get in the habit of using it as a shortcut to learning how to cook. It doesn't have to take long and you can also prep your food ahead of time.
If you grew up in the 80's and before, remember how fast food was a treat. Pizza was usually restaurant food (and incredibly good), making it a big deal to go to that dark, candle lit, bench seat filled restaurant with red/white checkerboard tablecloths. It was a big deal. Now, it's convenient.
Going to Wendy's, McD's or Krystal was a BIG deal back in the day. It didn't affect your health because it was only a few times a year. Now...and we've been guilty of it too sometimes...you drive through a few times a week and it's treated almost like going to the grocery store it's so common.
We've gotten much better, but it takes accepting there's a problem. LOL

One good thing: they say that soft drink intake is on the decline. That's a step in the right direction.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4385012 - 10/14/17 10:53 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
When I was a kid, the only time we got McDonald's was if you got a shot at the doctors office. It was kind of a reward.

#4385014 - 10/14/17 10:58 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Mark, I'm 5'5" (165cm) and 52kg (which has tracked up since my 20s in line with the reduction of BMR given in Mifflin St Jeor with age).

In the past I was hovering around the lower end of the 'healthy weight' range given by NHS England for my height, now I am also solidly in the desired weight range. My Waist/Height stays at 0.415, Waist/Hip is 0.75 which are solidly in the healthy range too. My doctor was happy with my proportion, musculature and weight when I attended my 40+ 'MOT'.

I am not as large framed as some - my wrist circumference is ~15cm/6", but still that I am almost never assessed as being at the healthy weight that I am, is alarming - while people around 50% heavier and of similar height are seen as 'normal'.

#4385026 - 10/15/17 02:09 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

The sun is in the east
#4385038 - 10/15/17 06:50 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Lieste]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Lieste
Mark, I'm 5'5" (165cm) and 52kg (which has tracked up since my 20s in line with the reduction of BMR given in Mifflin St Jeor with age).

In the past I was hovering around the lower end of the 'healthy weight' range given by NHS England for my height, now I am also solidly in the desired weight range. My Waist/Height stays at 0.415, Waist/Hip is 0.75 which are solidly in the healthy range too. My doctor was happy with my proportion, musculature and weight when I attended my 40+ 'MOT'.

I am not as large framed as some - my wrist circumference is ~15cm/6", but still that I am almost never assessed as being at the healthy weight that I am, is alarming - while people around 50% heavier and of similar height are seen as 'normal'.

I waited to respond as I needed to find our measuring tape (wanted to re-measure wife and myself).

My wrist circumference is 7" (17.8 cm), so my brother's would match yours at 6". By comparison, my wife's wrist is 5-1/2" (14 cm) and she has tiny wrists, height is 5'-4.5" (163.9 cm).

So going by this chart...

[Linked Image]

Me: 7"/69" = 0.1014 or 10.14% - Between Ectomorph and Mesomorph
Wife: 5.5"/64.5" = 0.0852 or 8.52% - Below Ectomorph
Brother: 6"/69" = 0.0869 or 8.69% - Below Ectomorph
You: 6"/65" = .0923 or 9.23% - Upper Ectomorph

So you're naturally kind of a skinny dude. smile I bet you still have a decent metabolism, right?

My wife and brother are naturally *very* skinny people. Her metabolism didn't tank until her mid-to-late 30's, his around 45, IIRC.

My wife's older brother and younger sister are very heavy people (even more so than their mother at her heaviest, accounting for height [BMI]), yet my wife took after her very skinny father (also same hair color and facial features). But then so did my wife's sister's son (senior in college), dude eats like a horse and is crazy skinny (genetics of his grandfather [wife's father])?

So I feel for you with people thinking you're underweight or too skinny. You're going to stand out more today as you brought out (if I understood that correctly), even if you're really at your healthiest weight as it's all relative to what is average. This subject is of interest to me because there was a time when I was constantly being asked if my girlfriend/fiancé/wife had an eating disorder. So be glad you're not female, I think it's assumed that the naturally skinny (especially women) must have a problem. Unless they know your family history, assuming you have a parent or grandparent who was an ectomorph. The concern eventually goes away with age, but I feel for young naturally skinny girls today who are scrutinized for their size...

Yale University threatens to expel student for being too skinny

Glad we grew up in the 80's. smile

Attached Files wrist.jpg
Last edited by MarkG; 10/15/17 07:37 AM.

The sun is in the east
#4385040 - 10/15/17 07:18 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Duh, it's only now occurring to me since finding a wrist measurement chart, that wrist circumference alone doesn't determine body type, it's wrist divided by height.

Also, those body type illustrations are for proper weight, an ectomorph can become overweight as an endomorph can become underweight, then the illustrations won't be accurate. I've always assumed that BMI ranges mostly correspond with body types (not accounting for rare cases such as muscular athletes), that is the healthy weight for an ectomorph will fall into the lower range (or even Underweight) while the healthy weight of an endomorph will fall into the upper range (or even Overweight), mesomorphs being in the middle.

As we all know, BMI should be considered along with BF% and waist size for an accurate assessment.

The sun is in the east
#4385052 - 10/15/17 11:05 AM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.
Just throwing my two pence in here, I had a "well man" clinic on Tuesday. Bloods, weight etc. I'm only 5'08", nearly 48 (oh my, where does the time go) and weight is just over 14 stone, 91kgs or around 200 pounds. I like to think this is a result of lifting heavy things in a gym four times a week, but hey ho. According to the nurse my "at risk" % is around 3, cholesterol level is 4. So, in my simple world I'm as healthy as I can be. Her advice, just keep doing what your doing. Yet I am also clinically obese according to the BMI chart. Oh my, just who to believe!!!!

#4385054 - 10/15/17 12:02 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
archermav, your BMI dips only 4 lbs. (1.8 kg) into obesity, likely normal for anyone lifting in the gym four times a week, especially if you've been doing it for a long time. You are what would be considered an exception to the BMI table, which is why you should also take into account BF% and waist size.

I don't believe exceptions (otherwise healthy people with a BMI that is Underweight, Overweight or even Obese) like yourself negate the BMI being used to track population trends, does it? I do believe it's a reasonable general indicator of health for the average person, but only one of several indicators (obviously blood panels are important). I for one would love to have a "clinically obese" BMI by about a pound or two, while sporting a 32" waist. smile

The sun is in the east
#4385064 - 10/15/17 03:09 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
If food prices in relation to average wages returned to their 19th century levels, I bet you anything that the obesity problem in first world countries would largely go away. wink

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/15/17 03:10 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4385072 - 10/15/17 04:00 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
depends on what the price of chocolate does

#4385090 - 10/15/17 06:24 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
The numbers that matter are in your blood tests every year. BMI is fine for tracking progress losing weight but really isn't that useful IMO. Your doctor is the one that can tell you if you're healthy.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4385093 - 10/15/17 06:47 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm ok with BMI in general because I think it works for me as I'm so average, including my build and 5'-9" height.

Another crude measurement of health, considered superior to BMI, is waist measurement. Your waist circumference should be less than half of your height. Simple enough.

EDIT: Also, I think blood panels are more telling after age 40. "I'm obese, yet my blood work says I'm perfectly healthy!" Oh yeah? Tell us that after you hit your 40's (unmedicated).

Last edited by MarkG; 10/15/17 06:54 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4385118 - 10/15/17 08:42 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
'Sapper' Offline
'Sapper'  Offline

Croydon UK
Get off your fat backside and walk instead of driving. Simple.

#4385128 - 10/15/17 09:40 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Lieste, I feel your pain.

Until the Magical Metabolism Fairy waived her wand at me, keeping weight on was a problem. Year 51 seems to have been the threshold where bags of potato chips have consequences.

And a 28 inch waist is hell to buy for as an adult; it was pretty much my waist size for most of my life. Most of my pants were 30", as that's as low as I could ever find. Fortunately I was in the Army and uniform pants were adjustable.

Even so, at my now fatso 33" inch waist, shopping can be a chore. I have to buy 34", naturally, but WalMart has almost given up on that size as well. The only reason I had to buy some additional pants was because most of my wardrobe is now about ten years old, and is showing it...the couple of work pants I had that fit now have patches on top of stitches.

That's why I'm cutting back on the eating, and took a quarter inch off in the last three weeks. Got to get back to 30" so the clothes I have all fit.

[edit] I hate those BMI calculators, as invariably they have an age component. If I'm 5'7" with a weight of 170 with a 33" in waist, the body fat percentage should be the same whether I'm 21 or 51.

Last edited by Dart; 10/15/17 09:42 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4385130 - 10/15/17 09:48 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: 'Sapper']  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by 'Sapper'

This isn't about why the UK is getting so fat (the fattest population in Europe), this is about America, where it's not as common to live in a densely populated area which caters to pedestrians. Almost any place you go might be many kilometers away.

The sun is in the east
#4385135 - 10/15/17 10:12 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: Haggart]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
Yea walking around in Texas could take while

#4385141 - 10/15/17 10:50 PM Re: Americans Are The Fattest They've Ever Been [Re: MarkG]  
Lieste Offline
Lieste  Offline

Originally Posted by MarkG
Originally Posted by 'Sapper'

This isn't about why the UK is getting so fat (the fattest population in Europe), this is about America, where it's not as common to live in a densely populated area which caters to pedestrians. Almost any place you go might be many kilometers away.

While that is true to an extent, you do have parking lots at every store, and I have been in a car that literally crossed the street half a dozen times to visit different stores which were in sight of each other, each time parking as close to the door as possible.

It would be quite possible to arrange things so it was normal to leave a vehicle in one space and shop in multiple stores before returning to the vehicle even if you had to drive from home into the town. There is necessity (or even convenience) and there is laziness, much could be done with even leaving the vehicle as far from the door as possible in each lot.

Also I tend to walk to and from town which is "several km" and (almost) never think of taking a bus, unless I am travelling onward to Bristol, when I might buy a single fare day ticket from my local stop (same price within the whole region). If I have some spare time I will walk 'around' town via the hills surrounding and come into town from the far side fairly often. I used to do the equivalent journey with a cycle a number of years ago, but I have transitioned to walking more in recent years - bikes are better for bigger shopping runs, but I live within a 2 minute walk of the supermarket that I tend to shop at most often (on the way to or from other activities usually), so the carrying of a week's shopping from the far side of town isn't a common thing at the moment and the bike is less convenient than just walking.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.