Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 154 of 227 1 2 152 153 154 155 156 226 227
#4383564 - 10/06/17 06:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Fullofit: I heard the that the Countess was at a Dancing class. I can just Imagine, https://giphy.com/gifs/2usDKrG7UUHyU/fullscreen

#4383569 - 10/06/17 06:54 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Raine, I have a feeling that your Pup is getting a little long in the tooth by now. I hope you can hang on until the arrival of either the Camel or SE5a!

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4383573 - 10/06/17 07:11 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Raine, I have a feeling that your Pup is getting a little long in the tooth by now. I hope you can hang on until the arrival of either the Camel or SE5a!

I think 46 Sqn held onto its Pups until November. I think I may put in for a transfer before then. It's hard to believe, but one squadron (I think it was 1 Sqn) was still flying Morane Parasols until late summer of 1917!

#4383590 - 10/06/17 07:56 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
I love the Pup, sure it only has one machinegun but it is so maneuverable that you can avoid most everybody.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4383602 - 10/06/17 09:07 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Banjoman
I love the Pup, sure it only has one machinegun but it is so maneuverable that you can avoid most everybody.

I agree, except that by mid 1917 you can't catch anybody!! sigh

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4383619 - 10/06/17 10:13 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Raine, another great story and finally a confirmed kill! Congrats.
I find the Pup and the Tripe have too much of an edge over the opposition. They're excellent planes, simply too good and after a while hunting in them becomes dull. At least for me.

8 June 1917, La Bellevue
48 RFC

It was a short hop to Vimy railway junction. Dick recorded two direct hits on the sheds and the nearby stores and parked trucks. The rest of the flight made quick work of the remaining structures in the area. They were about to form up near Douai when a flight of Albatrosen appeared. Two peeled away and dove straight down on Grayson and Middleton, but were in for a rude awakening, for these were not ordinary bombers. These were Bristol Fighters. Dick didn’t let the intruder get on his tail.

[Linked Image]

He turned with the German machine and put a few holes in his tail. He dove and Brisfit followed. He then tried to outclimb it, but it was a mistake. Grayson caught the Albatros in his crosshairs and fired. The scout was instantly engulfed in a large ball of fire and disintegrated into pieces in front of the surprised British pilot.

[Linked Image]

The wreckage dropped to the ground like a stone. Meanwhile Middleton took care of the other Albatros and the two of them rejoined the rest of the formation already on their way home.
The next day came the confirmation for the Albatros and the DFW from the day before. Dick is two for two and a shiny MC doesn't hurt either.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files 1.jpg2.jpgMC.JPG

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4383626 - 10/06/17 10:32 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Fullofit

Congrats on the MC! There will be rounds all around at the mess!

(System_Specs)

#4383640 - 10/06/17 11:59 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Thanks Robert, There'll be a mess alright.
I haven't seen your repots lately. What gives?

#4383656 - 10/07/17 02:42 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
No flying time until this evening gown. Should have report in by Sat night.

(System_Specs)

#4383676 - 10/07/17 11:09 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Dark_Canuck Offline
Dark_Canuck  Offline

Canada
2Lt Andrew Sanderson
7 June 17

It was quite a road that brought me here today, standing outside in the pre-dawn hours listening to the cacophony of Battle just a few miles away. The big push is on and it started with an explosion the likes of which I cant even imagine.

I started my military career by attending the Royal Military College in Kingston, Canada. College number 996. I both loved and hated my time there, what with the constant parading, too much homework, marches up and down the hills of Fort Henry and ridiculous officers swaggering about like puffed up penguins.

There were good aspects though. The other students were excellent chaps for the most part. The location was perfect, right on the shore of lake Ontario. Most importantly, The fine ladies of Queens University were only a few minutes walk away.

My best mate there was a rather disinterested chap we called Bish. We started off poorly, as he was caught cheating off me during an exam, but after the obligatory fisticuffs, we became fast friends.

He joined up as soon as war broke out, leaving the college before finishing, but I stayed on before joining the Engineers. It didnt take long in the trenches before I was longing for some other diversion. Bish and I stayed in touch and when he mentioned he was joining the RFC, I was not far behind him.

Pilot training was a thrilling adventure. The machines were abused and the instruction was uninspired. The students often met after "classes" to figure the theory out on our own.

In spite the instruction some ofnus graduated and it was off to St Omer to await a Sqn. I didnt wait long. I was hoping to end up in 60 Sqn with Bish, but I ended up as a replacement in 56 Sqn, based out of Liettres flying that new bus the SE5. It is a fine machine, but seems a bit underpowered.

Ive flown a couple of "patrols" now. The first to familiarize myself with the area, and the second just a quick jaunt to the lines and back with very specific instruction to not engage the enemy. Fortunately, I havent seen a trace of the hun.

Today may be different. As the day turns to light, we are in our machines. The flight commander has asked me to lead the patrol as a test of my abilities. I stammer out the briefing to the chaps.

Ive been paired with an experienced chap named Will Emmerson. Will has been a pilot for over a year and seems to know what he is doing. He has promised to keep me out of trouble. There are three other chaps of experience joining us.

The Flt Comd has asked us to fly down to the aerodrome at Baizieux and ensure no huns are feeling angry enough to stray onto our side of the lines.

Fortunately for me, there is a road heading in that general direction, so I bring the flight up to altitude and follow the gray stripe south.

We reach the airfield without incident and begin circling for prey. I catch a flash of my starboard wing. What is that? Probably just some local aircrews returning from ranging the guns. Better check it out though.

The tracer rounds ripped through the sky towards us. ROLANDS! Im on the stick hard, diving below the hun observer. The pilot throws his craft around. He has skill. A lot of skill. A second Roland zooms past, an SE5 hot on its tail.

In that moment of distraction Ive lost my Roland. Scan around. Nothing. A tracer round rips by from below. Ahh, there he is. Sideslip, bank and rudder. Back on his tail. I fire a few rounds and he is gone again. What a merry chase this is. Dive down and around. Im gaining quickly. I snap off a quick shot as I fly by. Back around again. I see two a/c tangling in the distance. There is mine. Another quick burst.

He seems to be moving a little more sluggishly. The gunner is still awake though as rounds flash by each time I get close. I come around again. The hun wings over in front of me. For one brief moment he jangs in my sights. My excitement causes me to jerk the trigger and stick and my rounds find wing instead of flesh.

I pass by and begin a descending turn to engage again. The Roland is still dropping. And dropping. Did I get him?

Yes. He smashes into the earth, just three miles from Baizieux. Fearing damage, I decide to land there to check and to find my victory.

I see that Will has the same idea, already on the ground as I land. We commendeer a ride and quickly find my Roland in the center of a farmers field. It is horribly smashed and there is no hope for the men inside. I cut a trophy from the side of the machine and we move off to find Will's Roland.

It is late by the time we return to Liettres. It is straight to the mess for a snack and stories. Fortunately, all have made it back today, though most of us have holes in our machines. Still, it is a day worth celebrating, and as the new chap with his first victory, drinks are on me.

#4383678 - 10/07/17 11:35 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
What a start for Sanderson. First patrol lead and first kill all in the same day!
Good Show!

(System_Specs)

#4383737 - 10/07/17 07:04 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
9 Jun 1917 @ 06h01 Patrol to our lines near Athies

Godfrey was sipping his tea waiting for the C.O. to arrive for the briefing and listening to the men, still talking about the grand explosions at Messines.
Berkeley was perched beside Godfrey mumbling “They say one of the holes was 200 ft wide and 20 ft deep!”.

Godfrey looked at him while stifling a chuckle and said “There will be no need to dig latrines in that sector eh Rich!”

Just then Scott rapped on the table bringing things to order and stated the mission objectives for the mornings run.

“The Hun scouts of Jasta 8 have been pestering the boys over near Etrun so I would appreciate you folks having a look see on your way to the lines and back.

“Right then!”, Scott continued, “Meteor RE has forecast mostly clear conditions with some cumulus and fog from 3100 feet on. Wind of 6 kn from the WSW. That is all, good hunting!”

As the men cleared the briefing room, Rich, directly on Godfreye’s heels stated “Hopefully things will be quiet what with all the action up north at Messines. I hear the boys are keeping Richthofen busy up there.”

Godfrey just replied quietly, “I suspect they have enough to go around!”

The flight formed up north of the field at 06h25 and having achieved an altitude of 11,500 feet they set out directly for Athies. As per instructions, Godfrey veered towards Etrun and as they approached, he noted some archie bursts near the field. It soon became evident that two Hun scouts were molesting a couple of FE2c’s which appeared to be attempting to land. He could see four more aircraft heading east towards the lines and suspected they were part of the Hun flight. Godfrey took the flight down from 11,000 feet and by the time they came within striking distance only one Hun scout remained. Godfrey latched onto the tail of what proved to be a new Albatros type with rounded fuselage. He had hear of the new type that was referred to as a DV. This one had a fuselage stylishly painted in red and white bands. It didn’t take long for Godfrey to realize that this scout had an experienced pilot at the controls, presenting only fleeting opportunities for Godfrey. To make matters worse it became painfully evident that this craft had significant engine power and several times made a run for it, pulling away from Godfrey’s N23 very quickly. All Godfrey could do was send long distance volleys in the hopes he could convince the craft to turn, and several times it did, but it also was able to out climb the N23 and so in the end it escaped. Godfrey made a mental note to report the performance characteristics of the DV when he returned to base. It was clearly evident that his N23 was outclassed and any hopes of dominating a combat encounter would clearly depend on surprise and a quick strike or a head on pass. This seemed like an ominous omen and Godfrey spent considerable time wondering how long it would be until the N23 was replaced with a better machine capable of dominating the DV.

Most of his flight had chased the other DV towards the lines but soon realized how futile an effort it was and returned to find Godfrey and Berkeley forming up. They all returned to Etrun to take stalk, report in and fuel up before returning to Filescamp.

(System_Specs)

#4383739 - 10/07/17 07:18 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Helmute von Hammer
Hauptmann,
II Corps Field Hospital
Ward 12, Row 2
Bed 10.

Oct 7, 1917.

Allowed outside for a little Fresh air Nice scenery.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3o7aDbzawz1WTY9kti/giphy.gif

I do miss going to the local Das Trinken des Hauses

Attached Files Photo-Aug-25-6-33-30-PM  hoff costume.png
Last edited by carrick58; 10/07/17 08:22 PM.
#4383783 - 10/08/17 01:46 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Great report Robert. Glad you found some time to fly.
DC, great start to a hopefully long career.

#4383786 - 10/08/17 01:54 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Tnx Fullofit.

(System_Specs)

#4383864 - 10/08/17 05:30 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Helmute von Hammer
Hauptmann,
II Corps Field Hospital
Ward 12, Row 2
Bed 10.

Oct 8, 1917.

I am Kinda Glad to be stuck in bed since hearing Nurse Olga was giving the therapy class.

https://giphy.com/gifs/c3cRulu4aW6zu/fullscreen

#4383893 - 10/08/17 09:06 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Here is the report for last week's activities.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files ScreenHunter_213 Oct. 08 15.04.jpg
Last edited by Banjoman; 10/08/17 09:07 PM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4383897 - 10/08/17 09:22 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the stats Banjoman! You are always there with them!! thumbsup

(System_Specs)