Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4383502 - 10/06/17 01:23 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
Woff is a ww1 combat flight simulator. RoF is great for multiplay as an arcade shooter with ww1 crates.

WoFF was made as the better product, and of course, is. There is no contest between the two, ask any reputable pilot, reviewer or fan alike.

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4383521 - 10/06/17 02:29 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: matmilne]  
Space_Ghost Offline
Space_Ghost  Offline

Originally Posted by matmilne
Woff is a ww1 combat flight simulator. RoF is great for multiplay as an arcade shooter with ww1 crates.

WoFF was made as the better product, and of course, is. There is no contest between the two, ask any reputable pilot, reviewer or fan alike.

Still don't know where the whole "arcade" comment comes from.

#4383548 - 10/06/17 03:58 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
ArisFuser Offline
ArisFuser  Offline

I enjoy them both for different reasons. But nothing beats WOFF in inmersion. ROF is great for its damage modelling, special effects and the simulation part of flying and WOFF is amazing as a whole. Pure authentic, honest inmersion simulation. Rich, diverse and addictive as never experienced before.

Last edited by ArisFuser; 10/06/17 03:59 PM.
#4383561 - 10/06/17 05:38 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: matmilne]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone

Rof is not an arcade game and writing down “ Woff was made as the better product “ screwy
Both have positive & negative points, which have been wrote down many times on different forums, no better product only a matter of your taste.

one thing is maybe important for new buyers, while Rof seems to be dead, Woff is alive and improvements from the WW2 will be introduced into Woff.

Last edited by dutch; 10/06/17 05:47 PM.
#4383568 - 10/06/17 06:48 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
lederhosen Offline
lederhosen  Offline

Germany
I agree. ROF is way better for pure flying fun and close combat. It was just unfortunate how the ROF online community sort of shot itself down with rather large amounts of rude behaviour towards each other. The organized events were real good though.

make mistakes and learn from them

I5 4440 3.1Ghz, Asrock B85m Pro3, Gtx 1060 3GB
#4383591 - 10/06/17 08:04 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
my two cents... RoF as Arcade-ish... Spawn, fly, die, spawn, fly, die, spawn ... ad infinitum.

Yes RoF planes look better and, perhaps, the FM is better on most of the planes.

I have never been into Online MultiPlayer.
I was never good enough to survive the first 15 seconds of an encounter with a person who spent a lot more time in RoF than I could.

I did use Pat Wilsons generator and was doing Single Player for quite while, but the horrid AI finally did me in.
After a hundred or so SP missions, it was just too easy and seemed pointless.
And yes the tone of the forum turned me off also.
And that it was/is no longer being developed.

In the end neither of the RoF choices were fun and I finally stopped flying.

But I kept looking, eventually (took a lot longer than it should have) I happened to hear of WOFF.
Initially was turned off by the Installation requirements (having to find and purchase CFS3 and which version of WOFF)
I hung in there and eventually bit the bullet a have not looked back since.

After many hundreds of missions with many pilots, from different countries, in many different plane types, WOFF remains fun and challenging.
That is my bottom line.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4383650 - 10/07/17 01:00 AM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
sorry guys but RoF died the death it deserved, beaten by off:BHaH; WoFF doesn't compare, it outclasses in every way. WoFF was made as a better product, OBD simply have a better approach to game design and development, it's why I choose to work with them again and again, and would never again work with 777.

Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4383664 - 10/07/17 05:50 AM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: TerribleTwo]  
JimBobb Offline
JimBobb  Offline

Originally Posted by TerribleTwo
Thank you. Think I'll be buying it.

I heard there is a sale coming, so maybe wait some more smile

#4383670 - 10/07/17 07:56 AM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: matmilne]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
sorry guys but RoF died the death it deserved, beaten by off:BHaH; WoFF doesn't compare, it outclasses in every way. WoFF was made as a better product, OBD simply have a better approach to game design and development, it's why I choose to work with them again and again, and would never again work with 777.

RoF died the death it deserved, sorry but what an foolish remark.

RoF died because:
the whole WW1 market is to small to bring back the investments, while the whole WW2 BoX seems to be more profitable.
the 777/1C team is to small to keep both games in the air [Jasons explanation]

So yep RoF is dead, not because it is a bad game and BoX is alive, same WW2 direction ODB is going to BTW and OBD is even a smaller team!!!

Back on what I did wrote down: personal taste will decide on what is the best game for you, only it appears to me your taste for best game seems to be based on anger.

Edit and my taste right now is WoFF UE.

Last edited by dutch; 10/07/17 08:11 AM.
#4383679 - 10/07/17 11:57 AM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: dutch]  
Hellshade Offline
Hellshade
Hellshade  Offline
Hellshade

Florida
Originally Posted by dutch

RoF died because:
the whole WW1 market is to small to bring back the investments, while the whole WW2 BoX seems to be more profitable.
the 777/1C team is to small to keep both games in the air [Jasons explanation]

So yep RoF is dead, not because it is a bad game and BoX is alive, same WW2 direction ODB is going to BTW and OBD is even a smaller team!!!

Back on what I did wrote down: personal taste will decide on what is the best game for you, only it appears to me your taste for best game seems to be based on anger.

Edit and my taste right now is WoFF UE.

I agree with this 100%.

I would also add one more thing. RoF also eventually died because it was primarily MP focused. After years of playing it, the base has naturally moved on to other MP games to the point where the RoF servers are often completely empty except for a couple of "die hard's". So when new people show up, they see empty servers and they immediately move on as well because the AI in the single player campaign of RoF is, quite frankly, non-existent. Add to that the lack of development for a few years for the above mentioned reasons and that's the final shovel of dirt on the grave.

But WOFF UE's advantage is that it is totally single player. It doesn't depend on large numbers of other players showing up on a server at the same time to make it fun. Launch WOFF UE today, tonight or ten years from now at 4am on a remote island in the south pacific where there is no internet connection and you will still find a world full of exciting things to do. The sim remains relevant because it is totally self contained. It doesn't depend on servers being up, latency or coordinating groups of people to show up at the same time who all want to fly the same missions with the same rule sets in roughly equal numbers on each side.

I see no reason to disparage RoF, though. It was very good at what it did - WWI MP combat - but it's time has simply come and gone. It's value dies with its base, which is true of all online MP focused games. With the base gone, there are a very limited number reasons to pick it up now, especially when WOFF UEs single player campaign is far superior.

The MP King is Dead. Long live WOFF UE.

Flying Wings Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven & Hell II
videos at www.youtube.com/hellshade68

#4383681 - 10/07/17 12:25 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: matmilne]  
4L0M Offline
4L0M  Offline

Weymouth, UK

Outclasses in every way? Right. What about graphics, effects, plane modelling, flight modelling, damage modelling, more stable and better performing newer game engine, multiplayer to name a few?

Don't get me wrong, I personally don't like 777 as a developer at all, in fact, I can't really stand most of their policies, but saying OBD have a better approach to game design and development is ridiculous.

OBD's approach to game design is to charge a lot of money for what is ostensibly a mod. A great mod, fantastic even, but it's still a mod using someone else's game engine. There are still files in WoFF straight out of CFS3 that are never used and don't even need to be there. I own both and like both, they are what they are, but to disparage one over the other is pretty idiotic.

Pro Evolution 2018 and Fifa 18 have just been released. Both games do some things brilliantly and some things unbelievably badly, but being a massive football fan, I take them for what they are and get enjoyment out of both.

I7 4770k@4.6ghz WC H80i
Asus Maximus Hero VII
Corsair 1000w rm1000 psu
16gb Crucial Ballistix Tactical@2100
Creative zx soundcard
2 x MSI 970 GTX SLI
55" Sony Bravia 4k HDR
Corsiar 760t
#4383685 - 10/07/17 12:49 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Very interesting thoughts here.

I wonder is it too fantastic to ponder a future where OBD develops a mod for RoF? I think it would be winners all round, but I'm probably quite naive.

#4383718 - 10/07/17 04:58 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: SkyHigh]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by SkyHigh

I wonder is it too fantastic to ponder a future where OBD develops a mod for RoF? I think it would be winners all round, but I'm probably quite naive.

I think the development effort to do so would far out weigh the financial benefits, not to mention the fact that OBD has so much effort invested in the current WOFF product and also into the development of their WWII version.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4383726 - 10/07/17 05:46 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
JJJ65 Offline
JJJ65  Offline

Czech Rep.
Yep, that is completely different story.

#4383768 - 10/08/17 12:00 AM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Originally Posted by SkyHigh

I think the development effort to do so would far out weigh the financial benefits, not to mention the fact that OBD has so much effort invested in the current WOFF product and also into the development of their WWII version.

You're almost certainly right, but I was thinking a little further down the road when the WWII project was all done and dusted, and perhaps RoF was approaching 'abandonware' status. Of course it may well be too late for most of us concerned!

Last edited by SkyHigh; 10/08/17 12:00 AM.
#4383795 - 10/08/17 07:00 AM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
dutch Offline
dutch  Offline

EURO-zone
!1C would never share the source code on RoF's game engine, because having the source code, you will also receive the BoX source code.
As what I always did wrote down at the RoF forum, why not make an SDKit for introducing new AI planes, static objects and campaign mode. I still think the whole career fiasco did cost 777 the same amount of labor as building an SDKit, where modders could do a much better job for free and that would extent RoF's gamelife.
That is always the problem for these Russian & Eastern European developers, making technical advanced game engines, but they are also prone to make the game very sterile/empty and focus to much on minor things that doesn't count in the game while have to leave major aspects, because they have burned the whole budget.

#4383823 - 10/08/17 01:02 PM Re: rof vs woff? [Re: JimBobb]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
The developer can't develop a feature if they don't see it needs to be developed in the first place, you see, a developer actually has to have some foresight and business sense, to properly expand their work to meet the need for their market. Yes sometimes products do fail because they stop being developed, but sometimes it's also because the developer just isn't up to the task; unrealised potential is a matter of waste.

When I worked for 777 it was impossible to get any engagement, there was no team to speak of, no input, no advice, and a fair bit of wounded pride and delicate egos, that's not a work environment that's conducive to developing a successful product. OBD's approach couldn't be more different, the community couldn't be more supportive, and the devs couldn't be more interested if they tried. It's just a lot more encouraging, i think that's why you have such different products, and such different outcomes...ours is still standing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM