Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4382613 - 10/02/17 07:43 PM Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Ray of Hope [Re: Sokol1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I had to look up what it is. Sounds good. I really enjoy that they came up with their own cinematic trailer for it. I've recently wanted to ask the community what some of the better mods are. I only have Stalker Complete Mod installed but sometimes I wonder if maybe there's a better mod I'm missing out on to get the best all around STALKER experience? I've read the description of "Misery" but that looks way too complicated and frustrating. Is there a better mod than Complete that enhances Stalker without making it brutal in difficulty?

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4383125 - 10/04/17 07:17 PM Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Ray of Hope [Re: Sokol1]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Misery is difficult yes, but not that bad. Early on it is I guess. That said, out of all of the STALKER games and mods I've tried, Misery is the one that gets closest to what I envision the world should be like. It is bleak, stark, dangerous. Literally, I would go 'home' at night and wait for daylight before kitting up and venturing out again. It gives me the best feeling of a survival game.

It isn't for everyone, but if you envision STALKER as far more of a survival game than any of the release versions it's worth a look.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4383167 - 10/04/17 08:53 PM Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Ray of Hope [Re: Sokol1]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I looked into it a week ago or so and it even warns in the mod description its not for folks who don't already know the original games. I've had SoC for years but honestly only ever got as far as helping the character Mole at Agroprom and then being introduced to the underground tunnel. In years past I was always confused by things or too scared to continue lol. I know because of that I probably haven't even scratched the surface of the games. I actually got to that point last night and I'm interested in continuing the game. I'm in the underground heading off to find the documents at the other part of the research center. I've got a suppressed AK-74 special that I somehow got off of someone, MP5, AK-74 from the Cordon bunker guy, and I was lucky and got an AN-94(I think that's right?)off one of the higher skilled response soldiers that come in after you and the Stalkers fight the initial Russian troops.

Does Misery do things with visuals and the weather and does it include any kind of unique animations or weapons that are not found in the originals? I recall seeing some video of a mod not yet released I believe and it was pretty amazing what they were programming into the old game with things like new scope animations and I believe a gas mask visual of putting a mask on and it then changing your first person perspective. You know things that start to make it look and feel a little more Metro2033-like.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4383280 - 10/05/17 01:27 PM Re: S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Ray of Hope [Re: Sokol1]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Big Metro fan here, so yeah, I get where you're coming from. It's been a few years since I played Misery, so sorry to say I can't answer your questions with err, clarity. There are a number of new weapons, of all classes They say 200+, but I think that includes all variations of the same weapon. There are many new items. 'Kit' has been completely overhauled. Finding items is a big deal. For example, there are aluminum frames you can acquire to insert in your bergen to increase the load capacity. Ammunition has to be husbanded. Misery gave me a different feeling. My base was aboard a ship, and before each sortie, I got the sense I was laying out my kit for the day. If there were a mirror I'd probably get my gear on, look in the mirror, deep exhale, lock and load and say out loud 'Let's do this'.

You can download a PDF here to see the weapons

http://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery/downloads/weapon-appendix

Overview of changes

http://themiserymod.com/index.php/introduction/

When I played, I didn't really do much story stuff. I just played it like I was a STALKER, leaving the sanctuary and venturing out to see what I could find, with the goal of returning by nightfall. It was a lot of fun.

There are blowouts, you get a short warning of a few minutes, a siren I think. You must seek shelter or you die. More than once I died while opening the door, just needed a couple more seconds smile Stuff is more deadly. Nights are dark. Sounds are creepy. You start in a random spot I think, with nothing but a rusty gun. I was in head-high reeds, and there were things moving around I couldn't see. It was scary. When I first saw the ship I was quite relieved.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.