#4381917 - 09/28/17 06:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Y'all just wanting to get yer Cowboy Persona on... cowboy

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4381924 - 09/28/17 06:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

They still have not announced any plans for PC release frown

Possible Spoilers below

At the end of the trailer when dutch says, "Do you have my back." The guy who says, "Always Dutch." is John Marston.

I bet it ends with a showdown between the main playable character and John Marston with Marston killing you and then the game ends in free road mode with you as Marston similar to how the first game ended with you as his son.

Last edited by Master; 09/28/17 06:56 PM.
#4381925 - 09/28/17 06:56 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant

Tis true! I think most Europeans have a fascination with the Old West. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4381927 - 09/28/17 07:03 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Bill_Grant]  
archermav Offline
archermav  Offline

Black Country, England.

Your accent on email is bad enough, not sure I need anymore cowboys!

#4381928 - 09/28/17 07:06 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by archermav

Your accent on email is bad enough, not sure I need anymore cowboys!

Bill has a pretty tame Southern accent in my opinion. I've heard much, much thicker Southern accents from other people I've met. Think Foghorn Leghorn. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4381931 - 09/28/17 07:40 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
YEEEEHAW !!

#4381963 - 09/28/17 10:43 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
After all the talk of wanting the original on pc for years, I can't believe they can't commit to pc on this one.
I'm not buying a console.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4381967 - 09/28/17 11:33 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
This is my most anticipated release along with The Last of Us 2. Loved, loved, loved Red Dead Redemption and John Marston. I can't wait to explore a new and bigger and more up to date engined American Southwest open world map on horseback. Thanks for posting the new trailer. I'm going to go check it out.

I hear you Raw K. I still would dearly like RDR on the PC. I can't believe they can not do it as L.A. Noir uses the same engine and came out around the same time as RDR and it made it to pc. It would be amazing to have a pc version of it. In my opinion there's enough good and even great games out now that I believe its worth buying one. I usually don't buy new gen consoles at time of release but I did with the PS4. Horrible selection at the start but now there's bunches of good stuff. I am more frustrated with how they released it with a poor library and then had the nerve to release a "Pro" version of the console with enhanced hardware that I personally should have been in the original machines. No reason not to in my opinion other than they want to get the next gen out in a hurry and start making money. I may get a a "Pro" version way down the line if more and more games are made to or remastered to run at 60 fps. Many of the last gen games that have been remastered and ported to the current generation consoles, which still look phenomenal by the way depending on the game, and run at 60 fps on my original PS4 I hope they continue to do that with certain games but at the same time I believe they should have made the original hardware with what's ever in the pro now. I think they could have done it. Seems like one of the future proofing gimmicks on their part to maximize their profit. If anything since there were really no game at the console release they should have just waited another year before releasing.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4381969 - 09/28/17 11:41 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

So no 2017 release. frown Ah well. Its looking awesome and I can wait a little longer. I hope they give us another good story and experience worthy of the first title. At the end of the trailer the what I guess is the main guy talking to the guy sitting calls him "Dutch". Cool. So I'm guessing from this that Dutch van der Linde will return for perhaps a bigger role in RDR2 and that being said, maybe just maybe we will bump into or get to play as a young John Marston fingers crossed?

#4381987 - 09/29/17 01:29 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

If the map leaks are accurate the game world is slightly smaller than the first game.

#4382002 - 09/29/17 03:22 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
That was a huge map. Same size or even slightly smaller is ok...it was that big. They could offset that by having the whole thing open from the start instead of opening it up with the chapters. As you progressed, there was little need to revisit the previous areas, kind of wasting the huge map. If its slightly smaller but they use it all from beginning to end, like Skyrim does, it could still be an improvement.
It would be nice to be able to continue having a lot of side missions in all areas so you could spend more time in favorite zones. I liked the ranch life in the beginning, but once it was over, it was just gone.
More options to play how you want would be good too. I liked train robberies, but there wasn't much in the way of consequences.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4382028 - 09/29/17 07:22 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I hope its not smaller. The original is pretty darn big especially considering it being 8-9 years ago on and Xbox 360 but I personally hope that it is not smaller. That seems worrisome to me. I'd prefer something just a little bigger. I travel in real time A LOT in these games and I do not want to become overly familiar with the map in a short time. I do like being lost in the beginning and like in real life the more I travel back and forth and challenge myself to memorize land marks and such so as not to have to use a map all the time the more immersive it is. If it ends up being around the same size hopefully they will increase its volume by rendering and making exploreable all the vertical space. Instead of having a by and large lower lying area cordoned off by desert ridges and mountains that can only be seen because they are used as map barriers to be able to actually traverse and explore up on mountains as well as below in caves and caverns and canyons would be great and actually add to the map's size because it would make use of and not waste all vertical space. Also hopefully we can swim this time as well as have our own row boats or barges to travel up big rivers and such.

I know the maps in these games sort of incorporate into one map multiple Western U.S. States and their environs. The environment is very much one of the main characters in these games and the developers pay homage to different environments often found in Westerns by doing this just like they paid homage to different Westerns movies and their stories and characters in how they wrote and presented the first RDR. That being said I see in the video a swampy place with alligators. So that could be parts of Texas/Arkansas but I hope they include all the different environments found in RDR. You had areas that looked like New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho and all sorts of places. I also hope there are more special moments and surprises in it like when you cross the "Rio Grande" for the first time in RDR. I remember making my crossing at night/early morning when that happened and the moment just had me grinning.

#4382068 - 09/29/17 01:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

I've seen reasonable presentation of available evidence which suggests it may be around 33% larger than the RDR map (area inside playable boundary)

This would make it around 16km^2, or around the map size for Velen & Novigrad, or the full map size for KC:D.

This is big enough for exploration and discovery, while not so large that travel is onerous, especially with horses.

#4382119 - 09/29/17 05:08 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

That's one of the main experiences I treasure in RDR and the few games like it. I really enjoy traveling the world by horseback. A mini-game in itself and instead of a walking simulator its a horseback simulator that's slow enough to ensure you enjoy the world and not rush around but fast enough to make you feel like you are getting somewhere or can get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time. Certainly there'll be fast travel for those times you get a bit burnt out on real-timing everything. That sounds like a good map size Lieste.

RDR had the best horse riding animations/physics ever in my opinion in a game that looked and felt so realistic and actually modeled multiple horse gates and all in a smooth fashion. 8 years later and I still don't think another game has come near it. Witcher 3 plus mod I use makes it pretty darn close to RDR controls but then the look isn't as good as Roach tends to often times not look very real. RDR modeled to a degree moving muscle that you can really see in the horse's hind quarter and elsewhere and overall, RDR horse just look and behave more real and natural. I'm excited to see if they can improve even more on this. I just really, really hope they don't take ten steps back and mess it up somehow lol. I'm also really excited to hear what kind of score they come up with. RDR had great music that seemed to have a lot of Spaghetti Western flavors in it and other things to make it feel that though part of the game has one foot barely in the old days, times are changing fast and at the time of the game, the old West is no more. I look forward to a prequel story and world that's older and I hope the sound track incorporates not only real music of the time but also some music reminiscent of these beautiful orchestral pieces that are often used in Westerns.

Last edited by Coot; 09/29/17 05:09 PM.

#4382146 - 09/29/17 08:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Haven't bought a game in ages, but open world Old West? If it comes out for the PC, guess I'm buying it. Would love to do more than just rob banks and trains, though. Wouldn't it be a blast to interact with Indians. Maybe head out to a fort and offer your services to the Army as a scout. Get into some battles. Might not go over big with the Native American population, however.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4382287 - 09/30/17 08:18 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
Playing a pretty evil #%&*$#? Weird as I may be, wouldn't be my thing.

#4382288 - 09/30/17 08:33 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Never been good at being bad, either. Whenever I've played the type of game where you could choose, I went good. In Bioshock, one of favorite games ever (Maybe even my favorite, period) you could save the littel girls, or use them for your own nefarious needs. I saved them. I'm boring, I know.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4382332 - 10/01/17 04:18 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

sofar it is all just cinematic cut scenes so there is no telling if you will be forced to be bad. Hell we dont even know if that guy is the only character you play.

#4383494 - 10/06/17 12:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Master]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by Master
They still have not announced any plans for PC release frown

Possible Spoilers below

At the end of the trailer when dutch says, "Do you have my back." The guy who says, "Always Dutch." is John Marston.

I bet it ends with a showdown between the main playable character and John Marston with Marston killing you and then the game ends in free road mode with you as Marston similar to how the first game ended with you as his son.

That is a good theory. Won't be surprised if it turns out correct.

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4383496 - 10/06/17 12:52 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Also, I'm not too sure the player is all bad. It looks a little like you're going to be on a revenge mission, to get back money that was stolen from you. ("Where's our money?")

In all my years I've never seen the like. It has to be more than a hundred sea miles and he brings us up on his tail. That's seamanship, Mr. Pullings. My God, that's seamanship!
#4383582 - 10/06/17 07:28 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Interesting idea semmern. I didn't hear anyone who sounded like John Marston so I'll have to re-watch the trailer. I sure hope they don't bugger that up somehow if he does show up as that voice actor made John Marston. I think the guy who voice acted John Marston is just a regular guy who happened to be in the right place at the right time to do that part with a truly unique voice that fit the project and setting. I think I saw a video that seems to show that he's not really a career actor/voice actor and perhaps is not interested in pursuing that. I think he runs an insulation company in a small town with his wife and child. I hope they can get him again if his character does show up in RDR2.

When he rode with Dutch all of those guys were bad guys and did bad things. Marston was more repentive and principled in his later years but he was able to, very easily, slide back into gunfighter mode and carry out violence. Like in RDR I suspect even if you are a part of the gang during that period we'll be mostly fighting other bad men such as other gangs and outlaws, corrupt officials and bounty hunting. Though I desire to play as John Marston again only this time as a younger man in a prequel, I like the look of what looks like what may be the main character. He has the look of a stocky, working cowboy/farm kid with those skills and given the image similar to that of the old school Marlboro Man. I like his dress style too. I also hope there is a little deeper rpg aspect when it comes to loot and different means of earning money with plenty of weapons and gear this time to build your own kit. I hope they have a much larger weapon selection this time as well as outfits and character customization.

Last edited by Coot; 10/07/17 02:33 AM.

#4383587 - 10/06/17 07:44 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I'd be fine with an all new story and character as long as it's good.
As for the voice, it's hard to tell much by that. Sometimes they have a stand in voice, even a developer doing it temporarily, before the "real" actor comes in to do the voice work actually used in the game.

#4440858 - 09/26/18 05:26 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Well Red Dead Redemption 2 is one month out. Hard to believe. I don't think I've been this excited about a game in a very long time. Is anyone else following all the released info. Do you have any good sites or youtube channels you'd suggest that are even handed and not obnoxious? I've been watching some videos by a Youtuber called "LegacykillaHD" and he seems to go into depth about the released information. As a gamer and RDR fan I'm excited about and thankful for all the amazing detail making its way into RDR2. Too many things to list but one of the newer things I saw that indeed they are making weapon modeling very detailed including weapon maintenance. Apparently they can get rusty when wet, muddy and I'm assuming they can jam on you in combat which adds a welcome layer of tactics and preparation to how you approach the game. The level of minute detail in the modelling is just so good looking. You can see down to the individual cartridges in each cylinder on Arthur Morgan's revolver in one video. I also read that on bolt action rifles you get to actually manually manipulate the bolt to eject the fired round and load the next round. I hope they capture that level of detail on all the many varieties of unique weaponry of the era in the game. From what I can tell from the videos(I hope)it does look like they are still implementing the Euphoria engine as well as physics that made the first game's combat so satisfying.

They seem to have gone to extremes in detail not only in a good way but in many, many of the ways we've wanted to see. I poked around with SimHQ's search engine to try and find the first time Red Dead Redemption was talked about. There's a few of them still around. Here's the link to the first mention of the first game from 8+ years ago. It was nice looking at all the different SimHQ members talking about it back then.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/2720738/Searchpage/3/Main/285100/Words/%2BRed+%2BDead+%2BRedemption/Search/true/red-dead-redemption-aka-grand-theft-horse#Post2720738

Last edited by Coot; 09/26/18 05:29 AM.

#4440914 - 09/26/18 03:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I'm considering getting a PS4 for this.... smile

#4440933 - 09/26/18 05:41 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

It took a while but my original PS4 certainly became worth the purchase. There's quite a few great games that'd I consider must haves if you're a gamer and want to own a newer console.(If you'd like suggestions let me know) Something else that has me excited and relieved is that apparently Rockstar showcased the game behind closed doors and it was already receiving accolades for how it looked to which they then confirmed that it was running on the original PS4 hardware. As a PS4 release customer (which I normally never, ever do) and knowing how crappy and non-existent the day one game library was and knowing how Sony later pulled a fast one with the "Pro" model I'm thankful that Rockstar and also folks like Naughty Dog at least show some consideration and thought for those original console buyers by focusing on making the best possible game in every way that they can for the base hardware first.

#4440967 - 09/26/18 08:04 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I am looking forward to this like I have never done with a console game before. It is going to be amazing!

#4441181 - 09/27/18 09:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
I already pre payed for it on PS4. I know it will be great. I have been following a few different RDR2 dedicated Twitter accounts. The game needs 105 GB hard drive space. i might regret not getting the disc version.

#4441215 - 09/28/18 02:46 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I'm definitely going for the hard copy. Seems backwards but Its more likely now that you can always get a physical copy of a console game but not a PC game which stinks. That being said, I think the different versions of the game are pretty ridiculous and don't justify the price. Basically to get an extra mission, a few in-game freebies and a paper map you spend twenty dollars more! It used to be that a pre-order WAS the Special Edition that came with that stuff and a map or trinket for the normal price of $59.99. Not anymore. As cool as it would be to have a steel book, which is the only difference from what I can tell between the Special addition and Ultimate Edition, you spend and extra forty dollars. So just to have a hard case you are spending $100! Then the Collector's Edition which is a box of junk doesn't even come with the game! Someone has gotten carried away with this and the pricing of each don't make any since. So no thank you and I'll just shoot for the 'ol standard edition. I imagine eventually they'll do the same with this game and come out with a complete edition with all the extras and perhaps any DLC or expansions they may come out with.

I just can't fathom those price points for the "extra" editions when they really don't come with much of anything.

Last edited by Coot; 09/28/18 02:46 AM.

#4441219 - 09/28/18 02:59 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Unless you go to buy the physical copy and the dvd case just has a download code in it. that's happened to me a few times over the past few years.

#4445568 - 10/26/18 06:24 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

It's here folks! Its been over 8 years and RDR2 is released. I'm surprised by the installation of this one. I'm not surprised by two disks and an initial install being a PC guy(apparently this has a generation of console people a bit baffled) but what I'm surprised about is that the install from the disk is around 90 minutes. I suppose that speaks to the nature of the game's size and mechanics? I have other open world PS4 games that require a few minutes of install and then the game is ready. There must be a lot going on under the hood here. I'm also surprised and a bit overwhelmed by the size of the day one patch being at just over 3GB. My internet connection on my PS4 is always slower and weaker than my pc for some reason. Thankfully the PS4 is automatically downloading the patch in the background while the game is installing from the disks. Its says its not mandatory but apparently Rockstar highly recommends that players install the patch first. 3GB is a whole lot of something so I may not be able to even play the game today. If anyone knows if its really okay to play without the patch please let me know otherwise my PS4 says I have another 34 hours to wait on this patch to download. dizzy

I decided to go ahead and get the Special Edition. It does turn out that the game comes with a default fold out map but the Special Edition map looks to be huge.(I haven't unfolded it yet) So its here yet still so far away lol. Hope all of you folks who got it too enjoy. This sounds like a pretty special game. I've done my best to avoid any kind of spoilers including non-Rockstar released game play footage which I consider a spoiler so I'm going into to it as fresh and ignorant as I can to hopefully get the most out of the experience. Maybe we can open a new game discussion in the console forums when everyone gets going as that forum has been empty for years.

#4445576 - 10/26/18 07:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
I am waiting on reviews before I get this.

~Bill

#4445586 - 10/26/18 08:29 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Bought the digital version for my Xbox One last night...the download size was 80gb! I'm sure I will have to download the patch when I get home. Left it downloading when I went to sleep so hopefully the base game finished.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4445591 - 10/26/18 08:50 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
While I'm staunch member of the PC master race, I'm getting this, it'll be the first console game I've bought since 1999.

Should I get it for Xbox or PS4?

I can either one for free but I know nothing of current consoles.

#4445592 - 10/26/18 08:54 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Will this run well on a vanilla PS4 or is the latest fancy upgrade required?

#4445599 - 10/26/18 09:25 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Chief Pheasant Controller
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
I've got it and been playing it as I convalesce here at home with the cancer! Finally something new to take my attention.

I'm just through chapter 1 which is highly scripted. Basically it's like an hour long tutorial. I put it down for now to build a fire and play with the kids but will start the true "open world" stuff tonight maybe.

It sure is purty though.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4445603 - 10/26/18 10:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Airdrop01]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
I've got it and been playing it as I convalesce here at home with the cancer!

oh man......not you too. Hope you beat it.

#4445608 - 10/26/18 10:36 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Blade_RJ]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Originally Posted by Blade_RJ
Originally Posted by Airdrop01
I've got it and been playing it as I convalesce here at home with the cancer!

oh man......not you too. Hope you beat it.

Yeah, since May. Stage 4. Thanks for the kind words. There's somewhere here a thread about "news and prayers needed." We are all dropping like flies.

But I have as good a chance as anyone. I'm faithful, healthy other than this (before this anyway) and 47. Never drank much. Never smoked.

"For I know the plans that I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope." Jeremiah 29:11

Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Matthew 5:11

Indeed we call blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of the perseverance of Job, and you have seen the purpose of the Lord, because “the Lord is compassionate and merciful. James 5:11
#4445649 - 10/27/18 03:51 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

After about ten hours my patch download just now finished. So I won't be starting it tonight. I look forward to starting it tomorrow!

@Mr._Blastman, I heard a month ago or so that during one of Rockstar's behind the scenes look at the game for special media/press peoples, that people immediately were commenting on how beautiful the game looked to which Rockstar at that special screening confirmed that what they were watching was on the regular PS4 hardware. I have a launch console that has served me well and I think as they normally do, they've covered all the bases and have produced a well rounded, quality AAA product. I can't say for certain but I doubt that even a Pro model does anything more significant to the game other than perhaps assist with 4K gaming and what have you. I'm assuming that the game would still be locked to 30 frames even on a Pro.

@Crane Hunter. I can only speak to the PS4. I've owned a launch model since 2014 and it has served me well and its a beautiful little machine. It has many great titles and I love the interface and controller which is one of if not best console controller I've ever used.

Last edited by Coot; 10/27/18 03:52 AM.

#4445654 - 10/27/18 04:30 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I think the xbox1 controller is superior to ps4 controller but if you grew up with PSs then you'll never convice you of the superior layout of the xbox smile

#4445691 - 10/27/18 01:59 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Thanks, I'm gonna go with PS4 if only because The Last of Us 2 will be available for it.

#4445715 - 10/27/18 04:03 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Good article here on how it runs on the various console versions.

RDR2 console differences

#4445738 - 10/27/18 06:28 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I'm eventually getting a PS because of several games on it I've never played and want to play, like Uncharted and Gods of War.

#4445751 - 10/27/18 07:47 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I am far from a seasoned console gamer and struggling with the thumb controls in general.
While very impressed by the visuals I have a pattern to die as soon as ambushed/assaulted and for any other reasons popping up in my face.

I can see that the developers going at this for 8 years might find it easy but I have collected a few hours of frustration by now (along with 4 or 5 ragequits).
Most people seem to enjoy it on top level but I find the controls counter-intuitive and as soon as I get in a hurry I just don't press the correct buttons and combinations (they make no sense to me).

Maybe it's not meant for a 51 year old fart?

Any other one here being new to console gaming and coming along better than me, if so I am all ears for guidance and suggestions how to play this?

Reached the level of "I don't care" for most events now making this my worst gaming-purchase this year.

#4445753 - 10/27/18 07:50 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: theOden]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by theOden
I am far from a seasoned console gamer and struggling with the thumb controls in general.
While very impressed by the visuals I have a pattern to die as soon as ambushed/assaulted and for any other reasons popping up in my face.

I can see that the developers going at this for 8 years might find it easy but I have collected a few hours of frustration by now (along with 4 or 5 ragequits).
Most people seem to enjoy it on top level but I find the controls counter-intuitive and as soon as I get in a hurry I just don't press the correct buttons and combinations (they make no sense to me).

Maybe it's not meant for a 51 year old fart?

Any other one here being new to console gaming and coming along better than me, if so I am all ears for guidance and suggestions how to play this?

Reached the level of "I don't care" for most events now making this my worst gaming-purchase this year.

Had the same problem with GTA5, can't use controllers for love nor money, completely hopeless. It changed when the PC version came out though, much better with a kb + mouse IMO. Will probably pick this up if/when it comes out on PC, the look is fantastic.

Last edited by DM; 10/27/18 07:51 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4445760 - 10/27/18 08:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

There are the keyboard/mouse solutions for PS and Xbox but they are not perfect.

#4445767 - 10/27/18 09:36 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: DM]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by DM

Had the same problem with GTA5, can't use controllers for love nor money, completely hopeless. It changed when the PC version came out though, much better with a kb + mouse IMO. Will probably pick this up if/when it comes out on PC, the look is fantastic.

Hmm, sounds like a plan - I tried GTA5 on oldest sons PS4 and failed hard trying to catch a truck with a stolen sailboat or something so maybe I should have seen this coming smile

Maybe I should pay for a GTA5 on the PC and try that instead, was pretty fun the short adventure I had (and give RDR2 to the son, he did play RDR1 so I guess he'll like it).

#4445769 - 10/27/18 10:19 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
F4UDash4 Online cool
Veteran
F4UDash4  Online Cool
Veteran

SC
If it ain't PC, I ain't buyin'

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz
#4445777 - 10/27/18 11:14 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Yeesh. Y'all don't even use a 360 controller for the PC? How can you play Dark Souls with mouse and keyboard?

#4445779 - 10/27/18 11:24 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Yeesh. Y'all don't even use a 360 controller for the PC? How can you play Dark Souls with mouse and keyboard?

Oh I have one smile good for the games that don't benefit from kb + mouse, but for anything that requires aiming.... nah smile
I've got a reasonable spread of control types, HOTAS, yoke, rudder, XBox controller, kb + mouse. About the only major thing I don't have is a wheel.

Edit:
For some reason the word HOTAS appears as a link :/ I didn't type it as a link, only a word.

Last edited by DM; 10/27/18 11:25 PM.

#4445786 - 10/28/18 12:03 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by DM
if/when it comes out on PC, the look is fantastic.

Is there any word on this? Have they mentioned a PC version? I really want to play this game, but I am firmly in Oden's controller clutz camp. And this game is pushing 100 gigs isn't it? So I'd need to clear out some of my son's PS4 games to make room and that wouldn't go over so well, I don't think. So I'd get it on PC, but can't recall seeing any mention if this is a possibility.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4445789 - 10/28/18 12:17 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: DBond]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by DM
if/when it comes out on PC, the look is fantastic.

Is there any word on this? Have they mentioned a PC version? I really want to play this game, but I am firmly in Oden's controller clutz camp. And this game is pushing 100 gigs isn't it? So I'd need to clear out some of my son's PS4 games to make room and that wouldn't go over so well, I don't think. So I'd get it on PC, but can't recall seeing any mention if this is a possibility.

Rockstar are quite notorious for not giving out any information in these regards. GTA5 was not really ever touted as a possibility until not too long before it was due to be released. In fact, the release was several times pushed back & back, until eventually it seemed like it was announced forever ago, but really it was announced shortly before being due to be released.

So, short answer, we'll just have to wait & see :/

Good news is that the PC version of GTA5 is regarded as much better than the console versions. So fingers crossed for RDR2.

Last edited by DM; 10/28/18 12:18 AM.

#4445798 - 10/28/18 02:44 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I didn't grow up with a Playstation. I grew up mostly doing PC gaming with some console gaming. I love both platforms for my gaming hobby. Until the PS4 controller the Xbox 360 has been my favorite controller so much so that I have a PC version as well. But the PS4 is just as good in my opinion if not nicer in my opinion with regards to its functionality.

I've been playing the game all day today and I have to say so far it is an amazing game. I pretty much felt it would be but I'm really blown away by what I've seen so far and what they've accomplished. The level of detail, game play mechanics, nuances and so on and so forth are stellar. The original game did something special and still unmatched in my opinion(until now) with horses and now this game has taken it to a whole new level including a horsemanship and bonding mechanic which I've always wanted to see. Things feel natural too. Without knowing a lot about the systems yet I noticed that my horse was visibly agitated and I was able to walk over and talk to it and comfort it and I was able to calm it down and gained some bonding experience. Without giving any spoiler, I had a funny and amazing accident when I was instructed to lasso an enemy and bring him back to camp. Though very similar, the horse riding is even more detailed and nuanced and many of the controls are actually quite varied and detailed making it a bit of a challenge for me to wrap my head around it all. Anyhow, as I rode close in behind the enemy I tried to get a little closer but I ended up galloping too fast and ended up rear ending the enemie's horse where upon which I was sent flying head over heels over the enemy. When I hit the ground and was able to pan the camera around, I was astonished to see that my horse had actually fallen over from that bad spill and the enemy fell off his horse, landing on mine while his horse ran away off down the road. As my horse got up trying to right itself it threw the bad guy who had fallen on top of it off to the side. Riding in formation with other riders is a beautiful sight and so is the new cinematic camera system. The lighting is exquisite. The sense of scale and volume to this world are also fantastic. The world feels big and the sky feels big like these environments should. They really do feel like wide open spaces which is often not quite captured right in other open world games in my opinion.

Everything is so well made and thought out in this and I've barely scratched the surface. All the different elements play beautifully in concert with each other. The cinematic nature of it all which also happens in real time in engine is amazing. This is a well realized and executed world. I can't wait to explore. I'm still overwhelmed by the detail and scope and honestly I have a hard time taking it all in. The controls are way more involved and a bit tricky compared to the first game and its taking me some time to get used to it. I'm still not accustomed to it yet. By the way, it runs and look beautifully on my original PS4. They have also taken the story telling level and methods to a whole new level. The intro was just excellent, almost surreal and dream-like and the music is just perfect so far, purposefully timed and dynamic. I'm really looking forward to continuing this adventure. Its a very immersive experience so far.

#4445801 - 10/28/18 02:53 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Personal decision, won`t be buying a console game system anytime soon. PC only till I die, my son lives through them. Want no part of it.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4445866 - 10/28/18 03:29 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Airdrop01 Offline
Airdrop01  Offline
Hotshot

Kansas, USA
Played it some more. It’s flat out great fun. Entertaining.

Coot sums it up well.

#4445877 - 10/28/18 04:19 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Looks like that I not only get a free PS4 Pro but also the game itself thanks to my game developer relative.

The only condition is that I have to keep notes on the play mechanics. All the employees at my relative's company are periodically given games and systems and are encouraged to play them as to familiarize themselves first hand with the state of the market.

Can't wait to play it.

#4445889 - 10/28/18 05:49 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Hey, it's me your relative!

#4445914 - 10/28/18 10:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Looks like that I not only get a free PS4 Pro but also the game itself thanks to my game developer relative.

The only condition is that I have to keep notes on the play mechanics. All the employees at my relative's company are periodically given games and systems and are encouraged to play them as to familiarize themselves first hand with the state of the market.

Can't wait to play it.

EA? Just wondering because I know they have a big presence in BC.

#4445921 - 10/28/18 11:58 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Flogger23m]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Flogger23m

Can't wait to play it.

EA? Just wondering because I know they have a big presence in BC.

He's worked for EA, Ubi Montreal and a couple of others in the past, but is currently at a small outfit called Klei Entertainment.

Anyway I won't be able to start playing tomorrow thanks to the slow ass download.

#4445926 - 10/29/18 12:42 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Yea, everyone's complained about the download lol. Sony's is even slower than microsoft but some people were say up to 12hrs to download the game plus patch.

#4446085 - 10/29/18 08:39 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Been playing this on One X and got a few days of playtime in.

I will say that it's an amazingly created game...yet also a depressing game in a lot of ways. If you are looking for a good action / shooting game, dont bother with this. Controls are pretty clunky, shooting is so so, and enemy AI is meh.

On the other hand, if you almost want a Cowboy simulator...this is the Falcon 4 version of it. Think if it as this sim makes you do every little thing with very little short cuts provided for quality of life. Even looting a body is going to take you like 10 to 15 seconds. You have to maintain your guns. You have to take a bath and scrub every part of your body clean. You have to eat...and eat a well balanced diet. You have to wear appropriate clothing for weather. Etc., Even the missions are like riding for 10 minutes for 2 minutes of action or a cut scene. Rockstar wants you to live in their world...more so than play the game missions.

So if you are looking to get into a living breathing world and just want to enjoy hanging out in your own Western, this game will be an amazing escape. If you just want a fun game with tight controls and good action, you are going to hate it.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4446092 - 10/29/18 09:37 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
^ LOL, that sounds a bit like Kingdom Come in the Wild West.

#4446101 - 10/29/18 10:38 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Much much bigger budget and maybe not quite as hardcore

#4446103 - 10/29/18 10:43 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
RSColonel_131st Offline
Lifer
RSColonel_131st  Offline
Lifer

Vienna, 2nd rock left.
I get the difference, but the clothing, bathing, eating, maintaining part sounded a tad like KCD wink

Does anyone actually know why they keep this a console exclusive? Deals with Microsoft and Sony?

I do think given that GTA5 and GTA Online did very well for them on PC they won't get around the need to port this over eventually.

#4446104 - 10/29/18 10:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

The only reason the first RDR didnt get a PC port was because the code was such a mess that they couldnt figure out how to port it over without redoing the whole game. The game almost had to be canceled as a console port but they barely made the code work and then just left it alone. All of the GTA games made it to PC as well as almost every other Rockstar game except the first RDR. So there is a good possibility it will make a PC release. It's just a matter of when and if you can hold off on it without having the whole game spoiled.

Last edited by Master; 10/29/18 10:49 PM.
#4446106 - 10/29/18 11:07 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Master]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
The only reason the first RDR didnt get a PC port was because the code was such a mess that they couldnt figure out how to port it over without redoing the whole game. The game almost had to be canceled as a console port but they barely made the code work and then just left it alone. All of the GTA games made it to PC as well as almost every other Rockstar game except the first RDR. So there is a good possibility it will make a PC release. It's just a matter of when and if you can hold off on it without having the whole game spoiled.

new consoles will be announced next year, there are too many good games this year, and every time this happens it means end of cicle, so i can actually see them remaking the first game to coincide with RDR2 for pc and the next next next next gen release.

#4446143 - 10/30/18 07:07 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

This game is great. I have to disagree though in that this game does have great action. However the game mechanics and controls are very nuanced with a lot of depth and it is quite challenging. That's my own experience. I'm loving it, including the combat however it is difficult. You have options to turn of any auto aim assists which I normally do in games but while I'm still trying to get my head around the varied controls and combat and what you can do I may have to turn it on. The cool thing though is that even these control settings have detailed settings. You can turn assist to a normal, narrow and wide setting and then move a slider up and down for assist strength. On top of that you then have camera sensitivity, acceleration and dead zone settings.

Horses are just amazingly well done in this. The riding and controls and animations are smooth and seamless and the horse truly feels alive and animated now. Last night all of a sudden my horse controls mysteriously started to retard and the horse became somewhat uncontrollable and its because he got agitated by a nearby predator. Not only that he visibly will give you ques as to its disposition and the controller has subtle and beautifully time vibration ques. All of this then has me now trained to pay attention and immediately meet the needs of my horse. I've now learned to side step with the horse and its a beautiful thing. Today I was playing and I made are sharp turn to get onto a road to head a different direction and it has a fairly steep incline. I thought that I could cut part of this off and do a little jump with my horse however my horse slipped and we both went sideways sliding down the rocky road and at the end of the tumble I got ejected. Very cool. I had not seen this kind of spill yet except for the rear end I mentioned earlier in this thread. I also love the physics within vegetation and the vibration you feel when you ride through it and how your horse can get agitated when going through thick brush.

I find the game amazing and undoubtedly overwhelming. I almost don't know what to do. But I'm glad this game is like this. This game is hitting point for point everything I've ever wanted and dreamed about having played the first game. As is I'm still focused on the initial area around Valentine and I love getting familiar with the land and landmarks. On my first official hunt out on my own in an attempt to bring food back to camp I made a huge mistake. I thought I saw two deer across a river. I shot one with a bow and then all of a sudden I see it rear and then this long tail swoosh. I accidentally shot some poor guy's horse and he ran up the river shooting at me. I'm seeing new stuff all the time. I got yanked out of the saddle by two O'Driscoll boys. I'm not very good at combat yet or the controls but I'm loving it. I've had a couple of those cinematic slo-mo kill shots too which is cool. And that's the other thing about this game. Even when in-game in real time every little aspect is cinematic. Camera angles will subtly and creatively change to accommodate some sort of context going on such as when you ride up on a mystery. The animation work is just so cool to from getting shot at on horseback and watching Arthur dodge or watch his countenance change when he's hurt or tired or simply becoming a little bent over and ware when he starts to track something. A few times in a mission I would just let the enemy take me down to see and feel the impact of their rounds on the character model. Its pretty impactful. I just discovered more powerful ammunition for the Army .45 that has a noticeably stronger impact on enemies causing them to snap back more when hit.

I'm still not quite understanding some of the inventory elements yet. I'm a bit confused about provisions. Some are in your radial inventory that you can take on the fly but then there's the game you aquire from hunting but that seems to only be edible from a campfire for restoring health and other cores. I'm still a bit confused on some of the concepts. For this game it would actually be worth having the strategy guide to I think.

#4446149 - 10/30/18 09:13 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

I've been a PC only player for almost 30 years. Everything that interested me the most was a PC game so i never needed a console. But RDR2 is the first game that i'am considering getting one. If there is no confirmation of a PC version in the next couple of months, i think i will finally cave.

#4446167 - 10/30/18 12:32 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Well Cowboys don't eat raw meat so you got to cook it first at campfire. Canned stuff you can eat whenever. Tonics restore your immediate values of health, stamins, etc., on the fly.

Food restores your cores which determine the rate that your health and stamina replenish after getting hurt for example. The cores drain on their oen like ever hour so you have to ear eat regularly.

The controls are clunky. I have tested everything from dead zone to acceleration to free aim. No excuse for that.

Action wise....enemies run up to you. Stay in cover...pop them off when they charge. Not much to it. Thats what i mean by lack of good action.

Your horse reaction to predators etc., is what I would call part of the realism and world building. That's not action.

#4446205 - 10/30/18 06:15 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Spidey]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Spidey

I will say that it's an amazingly created game...yet also a depressing game in a lot of ways. If you are looking for a good action / shooting game, dont bother with this. Controls are pretty clunky, shooting is so so, and enemy AI is meh.

On the other hand, if you almost want a Cowboy simulator...this is the Falcon 4 version of it. Think if it as this sim makes you do every little thing with very little short cuts provided for quality of life. Even looting a body is going to take you like 10 to 15 seconds. You have to maintain your guns. You have to take a bath and scrub every part of your body clean. You have to eat...and eat a well balanced diet. You have to wear appropriate clothing for weather. Etc., Even the missions are like riding for 10 minutes for 2 minutes of action or a cut scene. Rockstar wants you to live in their world...more so than play the game missions.

So if you are looking to get into a living breathing world and just want to enjoy hanging out in your own Western, this game will be an amazing escape. If you just want a fun game with tight controls and good action, you are going to hate it.

Good write up.

Yup, lots of busy work and kludge interface, although I am admittedly way out of practice in using a controller.

I don't mind the pacing though, there are other games if you want constant combat and fighting was not really a constant state of affairs in either the real or the fictional Old West.

Oh and as a BTW, video game relative duder says that there was a estimated $800M spent on this game between marketing and development. No wonder that companies are now mostly risk adverse when it comes to AAA titles with that kind of money at stake.

#4446208 - 10/30/18 06:26 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
They posted some results, saying that sales for the first 3 days has exceeded $750M
And right now, you can get the Xbox X or Xbox S for $100 discount with purchase of RDR2

They will easily make some cash on this game...

~Bill

#4446209 - 10/30/18 06:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Well, except from YOU Crane Hunter. HA!

I am gonna get my copy with my MS Reward Points later this week.

~Bill

#4446210 - 10/30/18 06:45 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
I think this one is no more "clunky" then previous Rockstar titles on consoles. I'm a PC guy but I have an Xbox One for sports games...just the original Xbox One, not the One X that runs this game in 4k. Still looks pretty good to me and runs pretty smooth. The AI gunfights can be somewhat easy...if you have cover. Last night I got caught out in the open with some baddies overwhelming me and I was sprinting to a rock for cover but didn't make it. Some of the missions can be tedious with long travel time...but I'm having a blast and think it's a well done title. Glad I have a console. thumbsup

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4446214 - 10/30/18 06:51 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

Oh and as a BTW, video game relative duder says that there was a estimated $800M spent on this game between marketing and development. No wonder that companies are now mostly risk adverse when it comes to AAA titles with that kind of money at stake.

That quoted figure can't be right. The most expensive single Hollywood film to date only had a budget of 275 million!

#4446219 - 10/30/18 07:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Well "only" $400M was for the development itself, the rest was marketing.

The thing to understand is that unlike movies, major game titles take a long time to develop, 8 years in RDR2's case. That's 8 years of using lots of expensive specialized labor that there's a chronic shortage of and that's difficult to retain.

Movies are easy by comparison, even tiny little studios from nowhere can make a passable film these days, but making a AAA game title is a long and costly grind.

Last edited by Crane Hunter; 10/30/18 07:25 PM.
#4446254 - 10/30/18 10:47 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Originally Posted by Spidey

Good write up.

Yup, lots of busy work and kludge interface, although I am admittedly way out of practice in using a controller.

I don't mind the pacing though, there are other games if you want constant combat and fighting was not really a constant state of affairs in either the real or the fictional Old West.

Nah its not you getting used to controller. I always played both console and PC...ever since NES days. Even with the elite controller that let you change and experiment with the stick settings etc., I cannot really make RDR2 control better. My first reaction was almost like I felt i was playing a Playstation 1 game where movement was done in squares sometimes.

Especially when you contrast it to other games with much smoother movement kike Assasin Creed that just came out like 1 month earlier, the difference is really jarring.

Still a great game overall and every moment you played it, you definitely feel the attention to detail they paid to this world. Like you literally feel that 400 million or whatever they spent developing this.

At the same time, i think they could have done away with some of that realism...like do you really need to make the player hold down a button for 5 seconds which then triggers the animation to open a drawer whcih takes like another 10 seconds..which then prompt you to take a cigar out of a drawed...by pdesson doen a button for 5 seconds...then another 5 seconds of holding down a button to loot a dollar bill in the draw...i mean they could have just asked you to hit a button and then let you take both things for example...simple quality of life things that doesn't really detract from realism.

I mean if they really want to go for that realism, why not add bathroom breaks before a robbery. Arthur is probably inhis 40s...maybe he cannot get a full night sleep without having to get up to per for that matter.

I think the controls and some simple quality of life improvements could have made this game perfect.

#4446267 - 10/31/18 12:34 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

That quoted figure can't be right. The most expensive single Hollywood film to date only had a budget of 275 million!

Its about right. They released that their marketing budget for RDR2 was 250m alone.

#4446273 - 10/31/18 01:46 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Yeah really.

I'm surprised you aren't expected to manually control your breathing in this game.

#4446290 - 10/31/18 06:56 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I think its fine for what it is. This is more role playing heavy than in the past. Its meant to be experienced and to spend a lot of time with. It would be nicer to have a bit tighter and precise control sensitivity but rarely does a non-mouse and keyboard console shooter get it perfect. Some get close and I think RDR2 could be better but its fine. I'm using a little aim assistance to keep me from getting too frustrated and while I'm still learning combat. I'm finding quite a few quality of life things that every time I see one I think, man more games should do this. One I like is while in a menu you can hold down the "back out button" to get back to the main menu in one click as opposed to having to back out through multiple layers of menu screens though you can go through each one if you want. I can understand folks wanting more streamed lined looting but like I said, I think they very much intended for this to be more roleplaying-centric. Not only that I really like the ability to pick up and examine items. You can do this in things like L.A. Noir and The Order: 1886 which I find a really cool feature. Its great for subtle world building and for guys like me who like to get a close look at and appreciate objects in game and see how they were made and textured.

I'm having a great time with this one. I really enjoy using the cinematic camera while riding and I just discovered that you can use it while on foot too.

#4446333 - 10/31/18 02:36 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
Oh man...that interface is another klunker. Thats another thing they could have done a lot better. Pressing down a button to go back to game would not be needed if they had looked at the interface design for more modern games. They would have implemented a tabbed interface that gives you access to everything and you can escape out in one button. Again...I am comparing it to something like Assasin Creed since the two games are released about the same time.

Its almost like Rockstar is stuck in 8 year old design for game interface.

But i still like the game. Its a great game vs what could have been a perfect game.

#4446338 - 10/31/18 02:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Master]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Blade_RJ  Offline
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

Its about right. They released that their marketing budget for RDR2 was 250m alone.

GTA V took 200 million and made back 1 billion in a few years just from sales, thats is not including the game shark sales.

#4446385 - 10/31/18 07:53 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
I was a big fan of the last Red Dead game and since they aren't mentioning anything about a PC release I went ahead and picked this one up.

Runs well on a regular Xbox One and looks very good for a console game. No stutters or major glitches that I've noticed. Outside of a gunfight I don't have a problem with the controls. Once a large fight starts I find myself wishing for a mouse to aim with.

Oh, and agitated horses that aren't yours are no joke, I've been kicked by a couple of them trying to rob their saddlebags. They're better guards than dogs in that game.

#4446395 - 10/31/18 08:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Apparently it's a thing where development costs for crucial titles are sometimes sneakily passed off onto other games, so as to not spook investors.

This is just speculation, but I would not be surprised if one of the purposes of Fallout 76, which was probably relatively cheap to produce given all its recycled content and lack of standard NPCs, was to serve as a cost carrier for far more ambitious upcoming Bethesda titles like Starfield?

#4446446 - 11/01/18 06:57 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

I guess I don't see what you mean about the interface Spidey. I personally like the way its set up. For a player like me it helps to slow things down. I like pausing the game to read the compendium and to mostly keep the hud off and instead hold the start button to bring up the map. Speaking of the HUD, they designed it so that you don't have to pause the game and go into a settings menu to tweak it. You can do it on the fly by pressing down on the d-pad and make the same adjustments without having to be jerked out of the game. So far everywhere I look they were more thoughtful with a variety of measures than most games when it comes to access and navigation of menus. I think they were very thoughtful in its design but I can see where it might be less tedious if they could stream line it more somehow.

#4446454 - 11/01/18 10:47 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I’m loving the game so far. It is by far the best-looking game I have ever played!

I like to think of it as the Open Range of western games. That movie is not as guns-blazing as the other westerns, but more on the quiet and introspective side.

Oh, and happy days when I found out that fast travel is still a feature, you just have to unlock it smile

#4446462 - 11/01/18 12:15 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
If the game eventually adds a theme park with highly sophisticated androids then I might be interested in buying it.

#4446487 - 11/01/18 03:51 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

That's a good description semmern. I'm really enjoying learning about all the different character studies also and the subtle storytelling to that happens by different means. I'm still amazed at how seamlessly and dynamic missions, even side missions or activities can start all with a smooth cinematic presentation. I just found out last night that you can hold down the X button while cook/crafting and it causes a different animation and allows the process to happen a little faster. Speaking of animations I'm seeing new ones all the time from Arthur reaching over the saddle to grab a shotgun because I happened to try to access it from the other side of the horse, to Arthur naturally ducking when riding under a tree limb, to Arthur having a totally different animation when trying to mount your horse if its substantially higher than you, for example its standing on a higher surface and he swings into the saddle.

I agree with you all its an amazing looking game. Like I mentioned earlier it really does look and feel like a wide open space. They somehow managed to capture volume very well and the lighting is excellent. The mist vapor that blows through a scene is also pretty amazing. I haven't seen anything like that modeled to this degree in a game with regards to weather. I was wondering what other kind of weather patterns we might see. I have seen normal overcast and rain but I started to wonder about storms as the first game had them. I still haven't seen lightning or heard thunder but yesterday I finally had a more blustery rain storm with huge heavy rain clouds blowing through fast which I had not seen yet before. The music is pretty special too and fits nicely and appropriately the mood or spirit behind a particular story mission. I'm glad everyone's enjoying too.

#4446507 - 11/01/18 06:31 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Two other things I noticed yesterday.
1) With a gun in hand if you hit up on the dpad you'll shoot into the air. It scares civilians and most predator animals away.
2)Rainbows in fog and just after a rain storm, I cannot recall ever seeing those in a game before. Though it maybe that I just never noticed it in other games or my memory is shot.

And one thing that irritates me is how quickly animal carcasses on your horse decompose. It's particularly grating when you ride into town with a pristine elk on the horse and a duel breaks out across the street from the butcher's as you ride into town. Causing the butcher to close down the shop and flee the scene for about 6 hours. You'd think a butcher would be a bit less squeamish.

#4446551 - 11/02/18 12:08 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Dayz mod had rainbows so i imagine they came from Arma?

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4446662 - 11/02/18 05:55 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks wormfood for that tip about warning shots. I had heard you could do them but the game hasn't told me how yet. Sometimes the tutorial tips go too quickly and I miss them and then I can't seem to find them again in any of the help menus. I was thinking the same thing too about deterioration rate. It'll start to decompose before you get a chance to even get close to someone who will buy it from you especially if you're in the middle of nowhere. I also wish the day and night cycle was a little slower. Maybe as the game goes on I'll get used to it and see why its the way it is but it feels too fast for me. I recently played through the first game again and it was definitely noticeably slower than this. Not by much but just about right in my opinion. I suppose that's not something they can patch in as it probably is intertwined with too many systems in the game. Though it can get grindy I like how the economy and money making is in cents. It makes it so you have to save up for that special weapon or what have you. I think I've started to free roam too much as I'm getting a little burnt out feeling. I need to focus on the story missions which I have been but I've been trying to figure out ways to earn money such as starting up with bounty hunting. I've kept myself mostly in the center area of the map around Valentine trying to do all those story missions and get familiar with the land. I've now done all of the and the only main mission I have available right now is the Blackwater mission where you have to rescue a gang member. I've been saving that one until I did the others since it will be a pretty cool experience to see Blackwater in this sequel for the first time in contrast to what we are familiar with from the first game. I haven't even been back up in the Grizzlies to explore that area ever since the story releases you from that area.

One of my favorite spots right now is that Citadel Rock and surrounding area. Really open and rocky with a little bit of arid, desert-like brush.

Another thing that's bugging me a bit is that I will load a special type of ammo into a weapon and if subsequently that weapon gets holstered and another pulled out or if some sort of save state happens, it causes that weapon to have regular ammo loaded back in it. I'm finding that annoying however this game, though I'm still not any good at combat yet and not comfortable with it at all, is similar to Witcher 3 in that it seems to encourage you to prepare before a fight however obviously you can't always know when that will happen. That's in part why its annoying me that its unloading my special ammo somehow with the regular stuff.

Framerates are good a majority of the time but sometimes in Valentine with a certain level of NPCs and perhaps a weather type you can see the frames drop a bit. The only trouble that gave me was when I had a melee fight with two O'Driscoll boys. That poorer fps seemed to affect my ability to fight well because of the delay that lag was causing. Speaking of that fight, I like how aggressively the law and Bounty Hunters come searching for you.

#4446696 - 11/02/18 09:20 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
I found some gold bars in the detailed train in the pass. It’s an easy find, and nets you $1000.

#4446705 - 11/02/18 10:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Ok, who else named one of their horses Stormy?

#4446857 - 11/03/18 08:10 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Who is Stormy? Is it a famous horse? I've named my first horse I bought which is the free Warhorse whose name I must keep to myself. I recently acquired a new horse the other day. A beautiful dappled grey that belonged to the first bounty you go after. I named that one "Dakota" since her owner was hiding out on the Dakota River. I accidentally killed her last night in my first attempt at using a stick of dynamite that I had in my inventory for some reason.(I think its an extra stick from the beginning of the game when the gang jumps that first train) I'm still really enjoying it including the combat however, I am not good at it at all yet and its a bit frustrating. I find myself getting all hanged up and confused on the controls and when a bunch of guys rush you and flank you I'm instantly overwhelmed. I've got a long way to go to get a handle on the combat and getting weapon mastery levels and further knowledge. I do wish the controls were tighter for shooting because I'm having a real hard time with combat. Like Spidey was mentioning no matter how I adjust the settings and can't get anything that feels right. Even with acceleration down or dead zone down it still feels like I'm slinging a cross hairs sluggishly. And I don't like using dead eye right now unless I have to because I'm not at the level that lets you manually target yet. It does it automatically which I hate but that's how the first game handled it too. Its a skill you unlock later. Right now I rely a lot on fanning my pistol which is really neat and for some reason a little more easier to manage and control for me. But man it looks and feels good when you connect and get a direct hit at close range on an enemy using slugs in your coach gun but again my combat skills are continuing to suffer at the moment.

I really like how they do a slow release of tutorials as you play but in some cases, unless I missed it, they don't always tell you at all how to do things. I'm still not sure how to properly brawl. I had a little tutorial tip show up once in the middle of the fight but I could not read it in time. It had something to do with throwing enemies but I don't know how to do it. Can someone tell me? I assume the triangle button is the grapple button by right now enemies break my hold. I finally discovered how to block but I don't think the game ever told me. I'm also not sure how to tackle someone. Sometimes I get lucky but I don't know which button is responsible for that. I also noticed that with the lasso in hand, it appears that if you use the melee attack which I think is the right circle button or hit the right trigger(fire) button when near an enemy Arthur will whack them and or put them on the ground and tie them up. Can someone tell me exactly what controls do what? I'm surprised they don't have it listed like games normally do in the settings panel. I'm wary of going online or Youtube for help because I'm afraid of spoilers. I think this happened to me when the first game came out. I was looking for help on something and people were being rude and filling the place with major spoilers. Maybe there's a safe wiki out for the game already that warns of spoilers ahead of time when reading.

#4446862 - 11/03/18 08:54 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

no spoilers here (unless a news heading contains them)

https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-re...ntroller-controls-standard-fps-alternate

#4446946 - 11/04/18 07:00 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks so much Master.

#4447243 - 11/06/18 05:12 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Has anyone figured out how to store handguns and other sidearms so you don’t have to drop them when you find a better weapon? I am currently tracking down the gunslingers and therefore finding some nice weapons, but I don’t want to drop the ones I currently have.

#4447261 - 11/06/18 06:27 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: semmern]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Originally Posted by semmern
Has anyone figured out how to store handguns and other sidearms so you don’t have to drop them when you find a better weapon? I am currently tracking down the gunslingers and therefore finding some nice weapons, but I don’t want to drop the ones I currently have.

I think (from casual observation only, so take with a hundredweight of salt), that any weapon dropped (and left behind) is only discarded from your equipped set, but it goes to stash/saddle to be reclaimed later.

#4447282 - 11/06/18 08:23 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Lieste]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by Lieste
Originally Posted by semmern

I think (from casual observation only, so take with a hundredweight of salt), that any weapon dropped (and left behind) is only discarded from your equipped set, but it goes to stash/saddle to be reclaimed later.

Will have to try that and see if it is indeed so. Thanks!

I was exploring the Grizzlies today and came across a white Arabian horse which I tamed. It is the fastest horse in the game, it seems. Small, like an Arabian should be, especially after having used my pre-order bonus war horse for so long, but very fast and agile.

#4447308 - 11/06/18 11:04 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I only just started the original Red Dead Redemption and I think it's quite impressive, so I am really looking forward to RDR2. And to think I mainly got this XBox to play FIFA 19 (which I've barely touched). So far it's been all Forza Horizon 4 and RDR1.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4447350 - 11/07/18 06:37 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Its a great game letterboy1. I played through it a second time prior to RDR2's release to get refreshed on story and it really is beneficial to have that in your mind when going into RDR2. Some of the characters will make references to someone or some event that has bearing in the second game from what I've seen so far.

I've been wanting to go back to the Grizzlies semmern because I never explored it when the game started. I just did what I was being told to do so I never explored it. I'm not quite sure if we were even supposed to because this game likes to introduce concepts very slowly which I like. I read an article that mentioned that if you are feeling confused by something or that you don't think you're doing something as well as you should be able to its likely because its designed that way and its the game's way of telling you to slow down, you're not ready for that yet. When you get to the second camp that's when I began to move around more freely but I never went back up there. I heard about that special horse up there. I don't think I'd want anything to do with it anyways because I was really bit once in the back by a horse and it was a female, white Arabian.

I just now started chapter 3. I'm really antsy to go back up there now and explore but I know I eventually will. Maybe once I've discovered some more winter clothing and new weapons. Then I'll go up there and be Jeremiah Johnson for awhile. Does anyone know if there is a menu that shows how many hours you've played? Many games nowadays have that but I couldn't find that.

#4447352 - 11/07/18 06:55 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

rdr2 is a prequel to the original rdr so I dont see how they can reference events from rdr1 since they have not happened yet... Unless you are playing the events in rdr2 that are only referenced in rdr1

The gta games and original rdr game had a statistics page on the start menu.

It looks like they have a "companion ap" that links to your rockstar social club page. But the social club page might also show your game stats. You need to link your xbox or ps account though for it to let you see the stats.

social club
https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/

companion ap
https://www.rockstargames.com/downloads/

im not sure if im going to be able to hold out for PC release...

Last edited by Master; 11/07/18 07:01 AM.
#4447357 - 11/07/18 10:08 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Can someone recommend a sort of player's guide that includes things like what map symbols mean? Or maybe also tips on things that might not be so obvious in the game like how to lasso a wild horse - I would aim with the left trigger and throw the lasso with the right trigger but at first I didn't know to keep the left trigger depressed to make it take hold all the way until I got on the horse to break it in. Had to figure that out on my own.

#4447422 - 11/07/18 05:48 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

That's not what I meant Master. When you play the first RDR, the game world or newspapers will reference for example "The Blackwater Massacre". This is obviously expounded upon in RDR 2's events. Also characters like John Marston telling other characters something like "Dutch wasn't always crazy. He changed. We loved him like a father." helps build interest and questions that get built upon in the second game. So there are tidbits of background only hinted at in the first game that RDR2's story now builds upon where upon which its helpful and entertaining to have the first game's info fresh in your mind when going into RDR2.

#4447431 - 11/07/18 06:42 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

letterboy1, are you talking about the first game? If so this looks pretty useful with different categories.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Red_Dead_Redemption

Yes you do have to hold down the left trigger the whole time to keep the horse or individual roped. Then you just close the distance in and press the appropriate button to hogtie. You can also yank on the rope and reduce the slack with the right trigger I think. It took me awhile to remember when playing it a second time but in some cases if you hold down the B button, you can get alternate views while riding on a carriage with someone. Its kind of funny. Way back when I first played the game I eventually got pretty good at horseshoes. For some reason all these years later when I played through it again, I could not for the life of me figure out how to do it. I tried so many different ways but I totally lost how to use the controls correctly to play that game. Really quite frustrating lol.

#4447474 - 11/07/18 10:43 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Lieste]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
[quote=Lieste
I think (from casual observation only, so take with a hundredweight of salt), that any weapon dropped (and left behind) is only discarded from your equipped set, but it goes to stash/saddle to be reclaimed later.[/quote]

This is true, anytime you drop a weapon to pick up one off of the ground, it magically goes into your horse's inventory.
This also works for hats you own, if you lose it or pick up another on the ground. I don't know how to save the new ones yet though.
The tool tips are really terrible in this game, they disappear before I can read them and there's no list of them in the menu anywhere.
I'm always poor in this game, but you seem to make the most money by doing story missions, and I get too distracted exploring, hunting, fooling around and admiring the scenery.

#4447484 - 11/07/18 11:57 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I can't play this game anymore, because I'm currently staying at my dingbat GF's house and she goes REEEEEEEEEEEEE every time I kill an animal.

She actually threw up when she saw me skin one....

#4447496 - 11/08/18 01:20 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
I think personally its better to play RDR2 first...because if you play RDR1 akready you know exactly who lives and who dies already.

#4447497 - 11/08/18 01:22 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
https://youtu.be/H6ePzOhheNM

Also this...just like with RDR1...there is a music break

#4447499 - 11/08/18 01:28 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I can't play this game anymore, because I'm currently staying at my dingbat GF's house and she goes REEEEEEEEEEEEE every time I kill an animal.

She actually threw up when she saw me skin one....

I lol'ed at this... but then my wife yelled at me when I killed a coyote in "theHunter: call of the wild" and then didnt speak with me for 2 days. Coyotes are her spirit animal as I am told. So maybe... its not as funny as I originally thought...

lol

#4447510 - 11/08/18 02:26 AM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Feeding the suffragette to the Gator is a must do activity.

#4447582 - 11/08/18 03:13 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Lieste]  
wormfood Offline
wormfood  Offline

Texas
Originally Posted by Lieste
Feeding the suffragette to the Gator is a must do activity.

I don't know, I saw that video and not even the gator could stomach her.

#4447591 - 11/08/18 03:58 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: wormfood]  
semmern Offline
Veteran
semmern  Offline
Veteran

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by wormfood

I'm always poor in this game, but you seem to make the most money by doing story missions, and I get too distracted exploring, hunting, fooling around and admiring the scenery.

You can always go treasure hunting and find gold bars. I have about $4000 now, which I guess in 1899 dollars is pretty close to having a billion in GTAV after purchasing stocks and then doing the assassination missions. Gives you a chance to go exploring as well.

#4447602 - 11/08/18 05:10 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
F4UDash4 Online cool
Veteran
F4UDash4  Online Cool
Veteran

SC

"In the vast library of socialist books, there’s not a single volume on how to create wealth, only how to take and “redistribute” it.” - David Horowitz
#4447620 - 11/08/18 06:19 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Call of Juarez 1&2 are really pretty good Western first person shooters. I still play them from time to time. Never played what looked like the goofy modern one or the latest one they did which seemed popular but was even more of an on the rails shoot house game. One of my favorite things to do in the first game when you play the eldest brother turned minister is to walk around with the Scriptures open, quoting passages of judgment and wrath as I shoot the enemies in my way.

I'm confused by the hats too. If you go into your outfit section under hats and pan over(you can also change your clothing at a store's changing room), you'll see a subheading of crafted hats, stolen hats and found hats. I don't know how this system works. Awhile back for the first time I picked up another NPC's hat but it never got saved to my inventory. I have a feeling you might need to get back to camp or a general store's changing room and manually hit that "save outfit" button for that hat to be archived. I could be wrong but the game is very nuanced in its systems and as others have said not very forthright in instructions when it comes to certain things.

Spidey has a good suggestion there. Having played the original I've got it in my head that perhaps any newcomer to these games need to experience them in the same way however, people new to the game do have an unique opportunity to experience them in a way that other people who started with the first game can not which then might lead to their own interesting order of consumption of these games that would be just as fascinating by playing them in reverse with regards to the story. I like his idea. Both are written well enough to be impactful either way no matter how your order of experience goes but doing it as he suggested could produce an interesting and unique experience and an opportunity for newcomers to experience these game's stories in a way others can not.

#4447624 - 11/08/18 06:38 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: Coot]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted by Coot
letterboy1, are you talking about the first game? If so this looks pretty useful with different categories.

http://reddead.wikia.com/wiki/Portal:Red_Dead_Redemption

Yes you do have to hold down the left trigger the whole time to keep the horse or individual roped. Then you just close the distance in and press the appropriate button to hogtie. You can also yank on the rope and reduce the slack with the right trigger I think. It took me awhile to remember when playing it a second time but in some cases if you hold down the B button, you can get alternate views while riding on a carriage with someone. Its kind of funny. Way back when I first played the game I eventually got pretty good at horseshoes. For some reason all these years later when I played through it again, I could not for the life of me figure out how to do it. I tried so many different ways but I totally lost how to use the controls correctly to play that game. Really quite frustrating lol.

Thanks! smile

#4452575 - 12/09/18 10:34 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: letterboy1]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Hickok45 has published a nice video on some of the guns used in RDR2:

#4452738 - 12/10/18 08:38 PM Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 [Re: archermav]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

Thanks for sharing MadDog. I enjoy the gentleman's channel and really enjoy this RDR2 themed firearm survey.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.