Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 529 of 608 1 2 527 528 529 530 531 607 608
#4380175 - 09/18/17 11:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:
Gosh, Fittop, no dog when you were growing up? That IS sad. I had a little Cocker Spaniel I named Sparkie. That dog ran everywhere he went and especially after moving things. He didn't chase parked cars but he did chase moving cars and trucks. One day he tangled with the milk truck with dire results. Somehow that truck broke his tail. WE had not yet docked it and that did it for us. I could not bring myself to cut the broken tail off soI let it hang. In about a week it had turned black and stank. I bigger kid caught Spark and just pulled it off. The dog was fine. I saw him run smack into a tree once.

I am glad that you feel welcome for indeed you are. Yup, we are kindred spirits here. It looks like we will celebrate our 17th year since our fearless founder SNAFU initiated this thread. in 2018 unless something very unpleasant happens. Hopefully, we can and will all be here to celebrate that occasion on April 24th, 2018. I've been fooling about with PCs since about 1984 and I can't say I know anything about them all you fellows know. I am still learning or at least attempting to. I'm fascinated by 'em. Look Fittop, I could not hope to take off a Buff with any hope of returning safely much less carry out a mission over hostile territory. I met a fellow here that claimed he flew flight sims so much that when he went for his private ticket his instructor was so impressed he offered to let him solo on his second day. Not so sure I believe that.

I'm looking forward to that Galaxy S8 coming tomorrow. This LG has fought a good fight but it isn't cutting the mustard now. I've had to lighten the load so many times by deleting apps so the os could update I'm tired of it. LG phones are good depending on which one you get. This one has very little memory on board. I miss my S5 so I traded up to the new S8. No, LeRoy it may not have all the ding dongs and tweets that $1000 Apple phone has. I'm not even sure what those are. If I'd paid that much for a phone I'd at least expect it to darn my socks, trim my toenails, pick winning lottery numbers, and reliably connect to Penelope Cruz's private number.

If it comes on time, I'll be busy getting the phone set up and transferring my settings and apps plus getting some new ones. Considering all they do and they call them smartphones. I'm thinking they should be called smart devices that, incidentally, also make phone calls. How ever did we do without them for so many years? For decades only Dick Tracy had anything like one. He was in the funny papers. If smartphones disappeared at the crack of noon tomorrow, how many teenagers would lay down pass away without their customary instantaneous connection 24/7 with their social contacts?

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4380233 - 09/19/17 02:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have another mostly overcast day today. The sun popped out late in the day yesterday but apparently lost interest and has hidden his face again today. Hurricane Maria is now a cat 5 and has a bead on the islands right behind Irma. Top winds in the 160s mph. Maria is potentially catastrophic.

I see they have perfected wireless charging to the point the iPhone is using it in their new phones. Many years ago, I believe the Navy was experimenting with something like that to be used remotely to fuel subs, Of course, atomic power makes getting resupplied with food and consumables the most critical problem. I suspect that until Gene Roddenberry is dug up and explains how he managed to feed the Enterprise crew in Star Trek, they won't likely be doing that remotely or wirelessly anytime soon.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4380305 - 09/19/17 06:43 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

I believe that the late, dear Gene was last seen making a suborbital flight before being retrieved and put back on a shelf where his remains will ahhhhhh remain,... until the organisation entrusted with fulfilling his last wish to be blasted into space never to return again, manages excactly that. "To boldly go... etc"

It is some years since I last saw a scene with the Star Trek Food Processor so I cannot remember if the tray with food or beverages just magically appeared in front of our eyes, or if there was a magic trick of "closing the curtains and then opening them again" involved, before the food appeared. In the latter case, there would have been a pretty standard industrial kitchen taking up space somewhere in the bowels of NCC-1701. winkngrin

The Next Gen I think had more advanced machinery, some sort storage of all atoms and trace elements in unlimited quantities, and some glue to stitch the elements together to provide Capt. Picard his Earl Grey.

Well, having worked for a Telecom, I think I have become at an early age inoculated to telephonitis, even the cordless variants of the decease. My colleagues used to take their's out and flash them (unpleasant images in front of your minds' eyes fully intended), but I was never really that interested in being called up by someone while in the shopping aisle or while on weekend or holiday.

Denmark is a nation of iDevice followers. Since I don't own an iPhone, never had, I have always felt blessed to confess my ignorance when someone has has a problem, issue or question and asked me if I know how they work. (Well, you pay the vendor a lot of money and they give you one I guess....).

Lastly, the weather report; Today my timing was immaculate as the rains came after I had finished mowing the lawn. Rains predicted for tomorrow but Thur - Sat should be mostly dry and that can only mean one thing: Bicycle!

Last edited by McGonigle; 09/19/17 06:45 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4380326 - 09/19/17 08:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

Well, I am mortified! If Olga and Leroy never tied the knot, what happened to the wedding present I bought for them? I went to a lot of trouble to break into the Officers Mess bar takings till that night in order to appropriate the necessary funds for purchase of said present.

That was the gold plated honeymoon kit which you had pawned at Hymey Goldenberg's pawnbrokers emporium and never redeemed...remember? It was that one with handcuffs, riding crop, electric egg-whisk etc., and complete with a tastefully leather-bound (well used) presentation copy of The Kama Sutra autographed by Air Commodore Knightley-Rydewell with his pencilled annotations, recommendations and hand drawn improvements to the many and varied positions illustrated therein. If I didn't know better I could swear that some of the comments had been written in a style curiously similar to your own style of writing. Maybe it found its way back to Hymey's place. I'll check it out...

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4380327 - 09/19/17 08:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps...

Lord help me...Now I am looking at a 6 foot wingspan Hurricane for £160 smackeroos. That would keep me busy throughout the winter but who would fly it upon completion? I wouldn't have the courage or the ability to take it aloft under perfect control.

Many weeks in the making and a few minutes worth of sweeping up would be the sorry tale. On the other hand...it would look good hanging from the ceiling as a conversation piece which could hardly be ignored.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4380330 - 09/19/17 09:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG: biggrin

Yup, old Gene being the consummate Athiest was not concerned the afterlife and figured he would be just as close to God on the other side of Uranus as anywhere on earth. The "Replicator" was a brilliant idea. I believe it was not at all limited to food but could replicate numerous items. It reminds me a bit of those new 3 D printers. I wonder if the replicator was in any way the inspiration for same? Of course, even my old, old dot matrix printer could print out 3 "D"s with no trouble at all. In that context, it was indeed a 3 D printer. wink

I may be well behind the curve when it comes to fashion and fads but I like Android just fine. Some folks, not the Danes mind you, some folks just revel in having the most expensive version of an item even if it is not the best value for money. THey gladly pay exorbitant prices then brag about how much they spent. They go off sulking for weeks if they hear someone on their contacts list paid more for their Acme electric Naval scrubber with camel hair brush and 6 speeds than they did. I don't understand fuzzy thinkers like that. The iPhone is a good phone and I can afford one, I just prefer the Android. Maybe if I had ever had any experience with an Apple phone I think different? Maybe not. My former daughter-in-law and her daughter would not think of being seen in public with any other phone than their iPhone. Maybe I'm, we're missing something Jens?

Sounds like your Met is improving their skills. Perhaps Apple has come out with an "i" brand Weather Uijii Board?

DUX!! HA! HA! and 10 X HA! ROFLMAO biggrin

Great news for everyone but your birding and fishing mates. Notice I was careful not to include drinking mates, you'll be needing a break from building each night before closing time at your favorite watering hole. wink

Are you worried about your wedding gift? Really? I understand Olga thought it was indeed meant for her though she had no idea who she was supposed to be marrying at the time. The girl was a good sport and really didn't worry too much about such details anyway. I was low on funds at the time and needed a few bob to carry out a certain night operation, not the kind likely to be funded by the Air Ministry. The item you mention was quite valuable. It was made of discarded gold fillings that were deemed sub-par by the management of the Studley Grange Dental School, Assayer's Training Academy, and Remedial Failed Beuticia's College. The gold was melted down in that little building behind Hymie's Jewelry Shoppe and recast into the plate. Then, according to my specific instructions, it was decorated and engraved. But not for LeRoy mind you. No, it was for Fittop who had apparently run afoul of some obscure English legal requirement to marry at least the most pregnant of the four girls he had been.... fu,,,scre.. dallying with. Turned out our boy was completely innocent after all and the wedding was called off and the shotguns were put away.

As I mentioned, with no money, and no wedding and therefore no further need to cough up a wedding gift I rushed off to Hymie's Pawn Shoppe, 24 hour Pet Grooming Parlour, and all night deli. Hymie had heard there would be no wedding and had stayed open late because he was expecting me. Fortunately, I had listened to Hymie's wisdom and not had the names engraved on it yet. The thing was so heavy I was all out of breath from running when I burst through Hymie's front door. It was a full minute before the little bell over the door quit tinkling as I had come through the door so fast. Hymie was as charming as ever when he made his offer to take the flashy piece of heavy gold off my hands for about a third of what it was worth melted down again. He pointed out that I had no use for it. And as usual, I needed cash. He had me by the short and curlies and he knew it.

I did not care all that much this time. It wasn't like it was a family heirloom like the last 10 times. Well, to be truthful, those 10 times they weren't exactly my own families heirlooms, but they had been someone's heirlooms. So we struck a deal and out the door, I rushed to my rendezvous with a lucky young woman possibly suffering slightly from chronic poor taste in young men. So it was you who redeemed that particular item. I thought Hymie was sure to melt that down unless he found some poor slob who was dim witted enough by strong drink to pay his asking price......OH, sorry about that.... I meant to write brilliant fellow who was wealthy and didn't care pittance for a high price. Yup, I meant to say that.

#4380532 - 09/20/17 11:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

You probably didn't notice but I have been extraordinarily busy this day. I've been online and on the phone with Adobe support. Now, Adobe is a fine company and their products have given me much pleasure for years. Not their support today. At least it did cure my problem but it wasn't quick. Yet, I admit a problem solved slowly is far better than a problem unsolved quickly.

My Adobe Creative Cloud account would not let me in. It acknowledged the sign in info I had carefully remembered but spit it right out. I tried several times before I made the call that used up the rest of today one way or another. Ok LeRoy, doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result is not an indication of superior mental acuity. I got to know a knowledgeable fellow with an Indian accent. This young fellow obviously was in or from India. I understood most of what he said and I must assume that he did as well. Before lunch, he had my computer in a sorry state. It was so bad that I wished I had never called anyone. It took all day to sort remotely what seemed a simple problem to me. Turns out it wasn't simple. Finally, by the end of the day, my programs were back in their shortcuts and those were back on the desktop. I can connect with my Adobe account to my heart's content 24-7 and have no reason to expect any further problems. I could have connected by signing in on the Adobe website but I was offended by that little box that kept preventing me from using that little red icon to sign in. Boy, if I had only known what the rest of my day would be like, I'd have deleted that little icon in a hurry and a with a passion.

Today wasn't all that bad. Tomorrow will be a better day. Every day, in fact, is a good day, some, like today, aren't as good as are many others. wink

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 09/20/17 11:13 PM. Reason: Finger gross stupidity and poor vision

#4380628 - 09/21/17 03:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It will be another warm day here. We have partly sunny skies. The current temp is 78°F. and the humidity is 82%. We won't drown when we breathe but we may gargle a bit. Temps are predicted to be in the low to mid-80s for several days before the high 80s come back. The Autumnal Equinox comes tomorrow with at least the promise of fall weather sometime between tomorrow and the Winter Solstice in December. If I woke tomorrow morning to find all the deciduous trees had dumped all their chlorophyll and sported red, green, yellow and brown leaves overnight, I would be; startled but I'd be happy (happier). Sometime it may seem so but life is never perfect, so I suspect no one is ever completely, totally happy. I come close every now and then and that pleases me. smile

Dux had every reason to at least feel totally happy one day as he stepped out into the sunshine from the rather dark interior of Mother Waffle's "Breakfast all Day" Cafe on the High Street in Studley Grange. He stood a moment and let the warm rays of the sun soak into his chilly uniform. Stretching and yawning like a tomcat before the fire on a cold morning, , he was very, very pleased with himself. Not only had he recently been summoned to BuckHouse to receive yet another gong from his Monarch, a painful back muscle reminded him he had also survived yet another all night tryst with Olga. All had gone really well right up until it didn't. Right in the midst of a passionate and very tight embrace, a tangle of two bodies that would have been the envy of every randy Anaconda on Serpent Insemination Day at the London zoo, he found himself sailing down three flights of stairs upside down, mostly naked, and very confused. Fortunately for him, his fall was broken by Olga's very obese landlady who was coming up the stairs as he went down them.

The incredibly fat landlady was puffing up the stairs to complain about what had sounded like two or maybe three Wildebeasts mating on the Serenghetti. She was not amused even before Dux's irresistible nude frame impacted with her immovable and bloated body. Despite what might have appeared to be irresistible or immovable, on contact they rolled and bounced down the stairs together taking out the odd baluster here and the odd rail there, as down they went. At the bottom, Dux was unhurt and quickly shoved the now inert body of the fat lady off him and stood upright. He brushed off what he could but found to his displeasure that the stink of the woman's cheap perfume clung to him like white on rice. He checked for a pulse. THere was a strong one, the lady was OK, just unconscious. Great luck, he thought to himself. Off he went leaving Olga to deal with the aftermath. Feeling peckish and ignoring a new pain in his back Dox took off at a respectable trot for Mother Waffle's Cafe.

There little else on for the day, after breakfast, Dux was wandering down the street toward Reggie's Sure Lay Barbershop where he could read magazines and watch a few haircuts when he ran into JRT and Fittop...literally. Looking down at his dusty and scuffed shoes Dux realized he needed a shine before his royal meeting that afternoon. Another good reason to go to Reggie's he was thinking when he suddenly bumped into JRT and found himself trying desperately to hold the fellow up. JRT swung around wildly trying to stay upright and he bumped into Fittop who promptly grabbed on to Dux to right himself. All three then lost their balance and fell down in a heap laughing all the way. They were all three quite accustomed to this but it was usually directly after one of those nearly lethal HWH bashes.

They helped each other up and dusted each other off all were still in good humor. JRT asked Dux where he was headed and Dux invited them to come along to Regie's barbershop. The invitation to see a few haircuts was tempting but respectfully declined since neither needed a haircut and both had already read all of Regie's magazines. "We're headed over to Miss Mable's Bed and Breakfast for Working Women, Emergency Tree Surgery, and All Night Laundry Service to check out the new arrivals", said Fittop. Dux warned the lads that Olga was now staying there.

Two hours later, all three fellows were finally tired of watching haircuts and had read all the magazines again. As they stepped out onto the street, the three looked all around just to be sure Olga was not coming in any direction, and JRT thanked Dux profusely for the timely warning that had quite possibly saved their necks.

#4380805 - 09/22/17 03:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 6:30 this morning I woke and looked out of my window and saw very little. It was all there, I just couldn't see it. I wasn't going even more blind than usual, it was incredibly foggy. That has burned off now and it is now warm and sunny around these parts. It was a very bad start for my former daughter-in-law who is now on her way to Huston with a large contingent of first responders to help out down there. She may get back just in time to greet Maria if that storm comes calling on the Tarheel state. Then again, she could stay longer if needed and miss it altogether. I've been busy and I haven't even kept informed of the track of the third big storm. I know that it has wrought havoc in that islands down there. It seems tragic that an area where the population has so little has been so devastated.

Fittop:

This crazy cat is not in heat today (neither am I) but now she has taken to ambushing me and sometimes she forgets to keep her razor sharps sheathed. OUCH! @#$$%#@@@!! If I am not up when she thinks the day has begun she is now pouncing on me still in the bed and dancing around until I show some sign of still being among the living and eventually notice the sun is up and get up. Thoughts of justifiable felineacide have been abandoned though they were considered a few times. I might leave a window open with the screen out one night so she can do the job herself. It would be a long drop to the grass below the window..... No, I am rather tempted but not so inhumane as that. She may think she's the boss but I will soon sort her out. I'll make her drink cold milk. I'll keep her food and water bowls brimming full. I'll even hold and stroke her fur when she is cold. That'll show her who's boss. wink

#4380842 - 09/22/17 07:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Nothing much of interest to report. Weather is developing below expectation and forecasts. Recently I've been sighting quite a lot of cats on my rides. One, black cat, crossed the road in front of me, on the same stretch of road, on two separate days. Someone's timing must have been immaculate. Either the cat's or mine. Another black one, somewhere else, crossed another road today, a white and golden, on a third location sat on the road, in my lane, facing me. Then, as I came closer, it bolted for the shrubbery and roadside vegetation. It did cross the other lane, so in the worst of circumstances it could have been killed, had a car come by at that exact moment. Perhaps such a scenario happened to the last cat I remember seeing, dead and broken, lying by the roadside, on yet another stretch of road.

I don't think I've ever seen so many cats in such a short space of time as is currently the case. Maybe it is cat season, or the change in the Earth's inclination towards the Sun is behind these cat spottings. Right about now (yesterday actually), the Earth's Equator is facing the Sun at direct angle, the northern hemisphere no longer tilting towards the Sun and Summer, now favouring the southern hemisphere for a place nearer the Sun.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4380874 - 09/22/17 09:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

I dunno mate? Maybe word got around your fav animal is not the cat. Perhaps they just want a good look at the man that does not care for felines? Or it might be that they are trying to warn you of a coming CATastrophe? I do hope not. Back cats are indeed considered unlucky if they cross your path. I'd say that would be especially so if the cat in question was the variety panther and you were on a bicycle. None of these apparently were and Denmark is not particularly noted for its big cats, is it? If it is true that "A cat can look at a king", then I suppose one can look at a Dane on a bicycle as well.

It is fortunate that when you encountered the cat sitting in what he thought was HIS lane that you did not have to swerve into the path of a car in your natural tendency to avoid hitting an animal. Is there any possibility that there is a national cat conclave somewhere in Denmark that occurs every Equinox? I'm running out of possibilities here. Has it been raining "cats & dogs" recently? I mean literally.

Some cats have excellent timing. Others, unfortunately, seem to lack that skill. You often see these lying beside the road or being carried into the back entrance of Chinese restaurants.... OK just kidding, but I have seen a doomed possum being carried into the back entrance of one that for some reason I never found a need to ever eat there again. Brer Possum may be good vittles but I've never eaten any part of one AFAIK. If I were REALLY hungry one might be on the menu gracing the innards of a roadkill sandwich. But I would have to be starving. Ditto for coon, rats and other vermin. I have eaten squirrel when barbecued but would not today. My grandson has bagged, dressed and eaten quite a few "tree rats" especially for a very young teen. We had plenty of Venison last winter. The deer are thriving around here and some are all too tolerant of man for their own good. My son was out front of his place the other night having a smoke when one stepped silently out of the darkness and just walked right by him without so much as "Good evening" and continued walking slowly into the gloom beyond the security light. All of us have been struck a deer with our car or have been struck by at least one deer on the road or highway. Either being struck by or having struck a car was fatal for the deer. Such deer are not allowed by law to be taken home and eaten. They must be reported and picked up by the authorities.

Here's yet another great money-making idea chaps. We'll flog a cat warning device to Danish bicyclists. This device will be cheap and yet it will warn the wildlife (probably everyone but people) so that cyclists are assured of a clear path ahead. We'll charge $10 US for these kits and make loads of cash. All it takes to make these kits would be a stiff piece of cardboard perhaps 1" X 3" in size and a plastic clothespin. You all had bikes at one time or another. Who among us has not affixed just such an apparatus to the front spokes of our own bike to make it sound a little like a motorbike?. Fellows, we'll get rich. OK, there may be the slight possibility we won't if Danish cyclists have also done the same thing when young. It is worth the risk men. We'll need some cash to advertise and to manufacture the kits first. I'm sending Fittop around with the "chamber pot of Gold". Who wants to contribute first to our weathy future? Jens,? Dux? OG? Anyone? ANYONE? Comon guys this is just too good to pass up. LeRoy? How about you? Where has LeRoy gone? He ws here a minute ago. LEROY!

#4381042 - 09/24/17 12:37 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Despite the official start of autumn on Friday; temperatures continue unseasonable warm this weekend and warm temperatures will be around for the work week ahead. Cooler weather will move in by the end of the week with a cold front. Rain chances during the week ahead will be low with only a slight risk on Tuesday and next Saturday.

In the tropics…Hurricane Maria is a Category 2 storm moving north and on Sunday is about 500 miles south-southeast of Cape Hatteras. Swells generated by Maria are increasing along portions of our coast. These swells are likely to cause life-threatening surf and rip currents for the next several days. That is North Carolina's weather report for today at 8 AM. If you don't like this one, I have been reliably informed there should be another one tomorrow.

Good news. The Earth didn't end after all. There was a prediction that got way too much publicity that I would not be typing this and you would not be reading it today. I am fairly pleased that the prediction was erroneous. I have 29days left on a software trial, you see. I've picked up several new software programs. Notably, a DVD/CD burner suite to improve on what Windows 10 provides. ThumbsPlus 10 Pro a good, intuitive photo editor that is easy to use and not as full featured(read complex) as Adobe's LightRoom. I am only just beginning to use that along with Photoshop CC.

The password programs are working out quite well I 'm happy to say. I like the security and the auto entry feature. I added a zip code/area code utility. However, it cost way more than the one or two times a month I will likely use it. So when the trial period runs out I will get something else. Hmmmmm. What I typed could also be applied to a new, high-maintenance girlfriend. smile

Have you started building yet Dux? Bought the kit? Taken anything out of the box? I will be perusing the Welsh newspapers to see if anyone reports his lawn mower engine has gone missing. biggrin

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 09/24/17 12:39 PM. Reason: too many articles not enough consonants

#4381252 - 09/25/17 02:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It was only partly sunny when I got up this morning but now it is overcast.At the moment(9:15), it is 67°F. The humidity is 97% and the high is predicted to be 81°F. today. That was uncharitable and perhaps slanderous of you to say that LeRoy. THe high for today certainly will not be determined by what beverage Dux is drinking. For that remark, I am giving you five demerits and you can go down those 3,000 crumbling stems to the HWH archives and feed the beaver-sized rats today. Don't forget your flashlight (torch) and do check your inoculation record just to be safe.

There is very good news for anyone wishing to build a full-scale pyramid. I'll be busy updating the 900,000-page HWH Handbook in 29 guilt edged volumes, handsomely bound underwater in rich Texas Longhorn Leather by sight challenged Nouveau Druids in Wales. It seems scientists have recently discovered an ancient Egy[tian diary that explains how the Great Pyramid was constructed 4,000 years ago. It seems the ancient builders cut channels from the Nile to the building site and floated the heavy stone blocks on wooden boats into place. I know, whoda thunk water in a desert environment was the answer? The ancient Egyptians used the Nile for everything. Looks like those hopeful chaps claiming Aliens provided the ways and means are having a bad day.

Anyone wishing to order the genuine HWH Handbook in all 29 Deluxe volumes should contact LeRoy. LeRoy has gotten quite good at hand lettering over the years since he retired as a Royal Beefeater. If you place your order within the next 24 hours your set will include a possibly unsuitable frontispiece inscription by Wing Commander Dux, DFC, VC, GC, EI, EI,O.

LeRoy is a bit slower now in his old age. So, if you order now he promises you'll get your HWH Handbook Deluxe, guilt edged set by Christmas.....Christmas 2020. wink

#4381258 - 09/25/17 02:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Someone just asked me if LeRoy feeds the beaver-sized rats, then who is the brave chap feeding the man-sized bats? I believe you are the frightfully inquisitive fellow this morning, Fittop? Well, we are all trying rather hard not to, you see. Luckily, one of their braver members did a little reconnoitering in the labyrinth below HWH Hall the other night and now they are all visiting the RAF blood bank two streets over for din din every night. That works for me but I understand it was a bit too much for the night watchman at the RAF facility. He took early retirement.

#4381270 - 09/25/17 03:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Today, one of our nameless heroes of our Community of the brave, right and glorious, reconnoitred in a daring and most secret silent solo patrol and returned reporting spotting two live and observing cats, and one dead rat which lay by the wayside. The lackeys of the met office wished to convey the impression to our glorious leader, that fair weather and temperatures up towards 20 C were to be expected, but this most favourite son of our glorious nation was not fooled one second as the headwind in places was intimidating, and when the clouds obscured the sun it was rather cold. The lone hero skilfully evaded all enemies, traps and all dangers to return this crucial intelligence for which we are grateful and proud. The daring raider will later at a private ceremony at the palace be presented with the the order of the highest hot potato by our beloved leader, the great Bicyclette who will be considering an unsuitable reply to this most recent provocation of disinformation by the met office .

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4381483 - 09/26/17 02:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Gentlemen:

Contrary to rumors, the door to the subterranean shelter did not slam behind me, nor can I make claims as to the nutritional value of bats.
I can verify that although cats are not as receptive as dogs to human instruction, certain two-legged animals may be trained by felines. I shall however, continue to resist.

The much-heralded Viet Nam documentary has finally started in the Public Service television stations here.
Perhaps because the recent memorial I attended or the news of another veteran loss in my circle I had to stop watching and retreated to a British detective drama in Hulu.
This weekend I caught up on some of the series but not all.
Yep, could have used a friendly four-legged friend while watching. No Sir, a cat, -her cat at least, - is no substitute; she is just looking for a warm spot. But she does have an endearing personality.

#4381484 - 09/26/17 02:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

At 10 AM this overcast Tuesday morning is 72°F. with 97%° humidity. The high temp for today is expected to be just 79°F. Maybe fall weather isn't too far off?

MG: smile

006 and 3/4 here:
Another visit to the Queen you say? You really should stop meeting like that. People will begin to talk. wink

Excellent work indeed my friend. You may have saved the world as we now know it. I'd say Special Branch could benefit from observing your tactics. Especially in view of your recent discovery that there is a probable feline uprising in Denmark. That might well spread all over Europe. You'll agree it would be simply CATastropic should this occur. Do you think the unusual weather this summer may have been a factor? Or could there be a shortage of fish in Denmark? Heaven help us all if there were a shortage. I suppose that the rather unpleasant saying "There is something rotten in Denmark" could possibly refer to that dead rat? Oh yes, I think the dead rat was just a Red Herring meant to throw you off the scent. Cunning devils. Do not be deceived. Keep at it Old Boy and do keep us informed.

#4381497 - 09/26/17 04:15 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Not much to say. Weather has been good, wife is fine, airplane is working perfectly, and my investments are doing OK.

Some catastrophe must be lurking to ambush me.

MG, don't let them get to you about doing the Queen. They are just envious that they aren't tapping royalty.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4381501 - 09/26/17 04:40 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Yup. I am well trained, my fur is clean and sweet smelling, my nose is cold, I am mostly toilet trained and my reason for living is to serve my cat...... wait, where was I? Why am I holding this bowl of milk?

I have watched 7 of those Vietnam segments already and I wonder how those who went through that are able to watch much of it? I think it is well done and surprisingly I am now aware of some things I was not previously unaware of. When I saw those BUFS I thought of you Old Man. I also noticed how authentic (but not perfect) the Mel Gibson movie "We were Soldiers" made from the book "We were soldiers Once" had come to the reality of the Burns film. The Gibson film's final version, though getting many of the facts of the book presented in the film, is not entirely a historically accurate portrayal of the battle, nor is it entirely faithful to the book. Yet I couldn't help seeing how close it did come to reality watching the Burns historical view.

OG:

Don't encourage the man. He is already well on his merry way down the proverbial slope. The slippery one covered with STP. wink

#4381703 - 09/27/17 04:01 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sky here is overcast as what is left of Maria brings high surf and wind to our Outer Banks. She is on her way elsewhere and good riddance I say. We are not out of the woods yet as the hurricane season continues into November. The photos my former daughter-in-law has sent from where the hurricane swept into Texas look like a war zone. She and her associates are doing good work down there.

I think half my computer decided today was a fine day to ask to get an upgrade. One notification after another popped up. I'm not used to that. My desktop icons all rearranged themselves for some unknown reason for the second day in a row. A mere annoyance as I have a program to put them back in their places with two clicks. Yet I do wonder why that happened. I have the proper setting in windows 10. This is just another Twilight Zone software mystery I guess.

Here is some sad but possibly encouraging news for those obese folks that simply refuse to diet and feel guilty about it. A poor lady once considered the heaviest woman on earth lost 700 lbs and now she has unfortunately died. I hope she rests in peace for I doubt she had much peace or happiness in this life. One thing for sure, she and her health care team had the knowledge of a great and so difficult accomplishment. I do not know what ended her life but I;d guess that her obesity was the major contributing cause.

Fittop:

I watched two more Vietnam War segments on ROKU/PBS last night. They were pretty far into the protest movement. The Nixon years were covered in some depth. I was born too late to remember the Second World War but I do vaguely remember some things about Korea and of course the days of Vietnam rather clearly. It seems odd to watch a doc like that about a time that I lived through for some reason. To see people and historic events I actually remember. I was as close to President Jonson once that I could see he could use a shave. I stood right beside a car once in which Ladybird and one of her daughters were sitting. They both looked out their car window and smiled at me. Then they drove off. I was close enough to look down into the car. Years later I received a call from the Whitehouse. President Carter was coming to a town to make a speech and they wanted to know if we would allow the Prez to speak at our mall there. Per company policy, I declined the honor. I was not expecting a call from the Whitehouse believe me. It is not easy to say no in such instances I discovered. Even though it was clearly SOP to say "NO" to all political requests I wondered if I would be critisized by someone further up the food chain. I was not. Mr. Carter spoke on the steps of the local Public Library which was majestic in its white marbled Greek architecture. A more fitting place I thought.

Page 529 of 608 1 2 527 528 529 530 531 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.