Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4380354 - 09/20/17 12:42 AM New 2.35:1 Screen and 3D theater ;)  
The Nephilim Online tunes
S3D GuRu
The Nephilim  Online Tunes
S3D GuRu
Hotshot

3rd Stone from the Sun !!
Hey Guys,

I decided to get a 3D theater and do big.. I had bought a 2.35:1 Aspect Ratio screen amd installed it yesterday.. I took a few pics but I still need to get the Projector. I have an older 720P PRojector and plan on getting into 3D for my Home Theater..

I watched Serenity last night and Dark City this afternoon. Now while it was just a tad smaller then the actual viewing area of the screen it was pretty cool.. I will not realise the full potential of my new screen and 3D until I get the new Optoma 142x DLP Projector..

I am trying to get a Anamorphic Lens for the Projector but thast might have to wait until next year.. I am using a technique called Zoom View.. This is when you display the move in a 2.35 AR and zoom in to eliminate the black bars on the top and bottom to simulate a Full screen at 2.355 without the Anamorphic Lens..

It is pretty good doing it that way but you dont get the full resolution as some of it is in the black bars.. It looked pretty good to me I can only imaging what it will look like in Full 1080P and 2.35 Aspect Ratio with the A-Lens inplace..

The final screen size is 115" Diagonal.. I am really enjoying the new screen and can not wait until I get the new Proj.

Attached Files IMG_0375.JPGIMG_0368.JPGIMG_0373.JPG

Intel i7 10700K @ 4.8GHZ / ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4AC Motherboard / Asus 1080GTX OC / SoundBlaster Z / Windows 10 64bit / Reverb G2 VR Gear. / Thrustmaster Cougar + MFD's / Buttkicker Simulation / Thrustmaster Cougar
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4380377 - 09/20/17 07:53 AM Re: New 2.35:1 Screen and 3D theater ;) [Re: The Nephilim]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Very Nice! I love to see other people's home cinema systems.

I use the same zoom method to get the 2.35:1 image in my home cinema. I won't be going to 3D tho as 3D really does not work with my eyes and ends up giving me a headache after a short while. I would love to get an anamorphic lens for my set up but so far cannot justify it to herself.

I'm still using the same Pioneer system that I installed nearly 7 years ago, A KRF-9000 shining on to a 152" diagonal screen (140" x 60") fed from a Pioneer Kuro amp and an Oppo BDP83 bluray player as the main feed, I use my old PS3 for Netflix in the cinema and can also use my Archos Android tablet as it has a HDMI out on it.

As I have posted the pics of my set up many times before on here, I'll just leave a link to the album - they were on Photobucket ... https://imgur.com/a/nImHm

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4380388 - 09/20/17 10:48 AM Re: New 2.35:1 Screen and 3D theater ;) [Re: The Nephilim]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
How is the difference between using a matte white wall and a projector screen?

I use an old 720p HD projector (PJ-TX100) and it looks pretty good. My "screen" (wall) is 180" wide, with a sony 5.1 surround system. I currently have the projector hooked up to my PC and my TV with DVI and HDMI cables.

#4380448 - 09/20/17 02:01 PM Re: New 2.35:1 Screen and 3D theater ;) [Re: The Nephilim]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
I used a special paint that is a bit more reflective than a standard white paint, it is really meant for areas that have dim lighting and you need to reflect as much back into the area as possible. The Pio KRF-9000 is not the brightest projector around but when I got it, it had a very good contrast ratio and it would illuminate the screen size I'm using.

Now there are other formulations that can be added to the paint to raise the gain of the screen, but I feel that in the bat cave I have the KRF is bright enough.

Now for a commercial screen there are loads of different ones in different shades of white and grey that you can use to boost one or more aspect of your image, but you have to be careful as once you start increasing the gain of the screen you can get a hot spot in the middle of your image where it is very bright and then dimmer towards the edges. A neutral grey can boost the contrast of your projector and if you look closely at most cinema screens you will find that they are a light grey in colour.

I spent some time researching this and went for the special Dulux as I had read good reports about it's colour rendition and that it was easy to calibrate the projector to it, still took me a while to get it right tho!

Some where in my notes I have a recipe for a light grey paint that has aluminium in it to reflect more light, I have the different ingredients to mix it up but I've been happy with how mine is so never bothered to go further with it, and the Dulux is very difficult to get here, I had to have it shipped in specially for me.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4380551 - 09/21/17 12:44 AM Re: New 2.35:1 Screen and 3D theater ;) [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by VF9_Longbow
How is the difference between using a matte white wall and a projector screen?

Depends on the screen, the content, the projector, and the ambient light. There are screens (pricey ones) that will "almost" let you get away with projecting with lights on in the room - a pretty massive difference compared to just using a white wall. There are also cheap screens that aren't much different from a white wall too.

A "low" lumen projector (in my experience anyway) benefits more strongly from a quality screen than a brighter projector. I'm talking purely in terms of how much ambient light you can get away with and still have good viewability - not color accuracy, contrast ratios, etc.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.