Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 528 of 608 1 2 526 527 528 529 530 607 608
#4379439 - 09/13/17 07:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Chaps,

Been almost down and out over the last two weeks. We had to say goodbye to our Mossey, a Border Collie age 11, just over two weeks ago. Just as profound a bereavement as when mum and dad departed. He went everywhere with me over the last 10 years on holidays the length and breadth of Britain. In the short time he came to Pembrokeshire he made many friends among the local fishermen and is very much missed on the sea wall where he used to sit and watch the anglers. Even at that age he was very fit and would have easily gone on several more years but he suddenly went down with a large tumour which had started leaking. Nothing could be done at such late stage or I would have taken him to Cambridge University Veterinary Clinic where they can do that which is not possible at the ordinary town veterinary practice. If only I could have discovered that tumour a few weeks before. It may well have made the difference. frown

We took a Jack Russell there 25 years ago with eye cancer after our local vet referred us to them. They fixed him up and he lived for another 6 years.

I will not allow myself that strength of attachment to a dog again. He was most definitely a 'one-off' and will be sadly missed by all family and friends.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4379441 - 09/13/17 07:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
My deepest sympathy Dux. The bond between man and dog is very unique, and a special connection is anchored deeply in our souls, I believe.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4379564 - 09/14/17 12:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

FX: Sound of force 10 gale buffeting tent fabric:
FX: Static, the sound of radio tuning:

Hello, this is JRT speaking to you now from base camp on windy Mount Everest. THe oxygen is low and the cold is bitter. The wind is unbelievable. The tallest mountain on Earth where I have only just come down from the summit. I can say with certainty that Dux is not there. We have looked everywhere now but the ocean depths for Dux.The chaps who went up K2 yesterday have reported the same. On their way down today they received and passed along to me by wireless the very good news that Old Dux has found himself. I am freezing my gonads off but delighted to receive the delightful news. Dux lives!

FX: More buffeting sounds but louder now:

Fade out:

Dux:

I am indeed delighted that you are OK. We have missed your wisdom. I am sorry to hear of your loss, my friend. It was much the same here when we lost Chief in that snow storm several years ago. It is thought Cheif must have had a dicky ticker. There is nothing anyone can say that will ease the pain of your loss. Only the passing of time will heal that searing hurt. I do not, as so many politicians say these days, "feel your pain" but, having gone through something like it myself, I think I understand it. Oh, how many times have I suffered and told myself "I will NEVER allow myself to love another pet. But frankly speaking, my best advice for a speedier recovery would be to go out now and get yourself a fine, new pup. In no time he or she will steal your heart and with each new day, it will quickly mend. Love is the great healer, believe me.

It may seem counter intuitive now but that is what your dear Mossey or Bunty would want you to do as well for they love you and do not want you to grieve. You will in no way be disloyal to your old pal and departed companion. Perhaps it is too early, the loss too fresh now, but in the course of time I think you'll realize I am right. Keep us posted and do drop by far more often, we miss you pal.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4379625 - 09/14/17 04:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Thanks Chaps,

There are more than enough doggies around here serving as reminders, if any were needed! It is a very dog-friendly town. Over the last 10 months I have seen many breeds of dogs paraded about the place and noted that the French Bulldog is growing in popularity. :yep

Quite a chill in the air this week and not yet the mellow autumn weather I was hoping for. Summer has been rather mixed weatherwise but some days have been quite blistering. I will be back on the wall with the other fishing chaps in a day or two, hoping for winter visit from flatfish, whiting, codling, bass and the eternal dogfish.

I've been looking at model aircraft flying kits recently for something to keep me occupied in the coming winter months. Could start with a small 26" span Comper Swift job to refresh my building knowhow then try the much larger Cessna 172 which comes in at about 50". Both electric powered scale models. Plenty of room on the beaches around here to fly them from in the quieter months.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4379692 - 09/14/17 11:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Just got home from a visit to the old hometown which is just 18 m north on I-95 from here. It was a pleasant visit. I ate at the same little hamburger place my dad took me to when I was little. Yes, LeRoy that was indeed way back before there was dirt on the ground. I frequented that wonderful place of delicious aromas and perfect burgers often as I grew up. I went there now and then after I married and moved away. I took my son there when he was small and we have taken the grand kids there as well. Their burgers are the best in that town. There is only one other place that comes close and it sure ain't Micky D's. My dad gave both places his chili recipe. It must have been a good one, they are both still in operation one is under the same ownership. The other, and best, has had 3 owners. They have kept the faith and I cannot tell any difference in the burgers and hot dogs. I hope we can one day take my great grand children there.

Not ready, you say? Well, perhaps the loss is just too fresh. Bulldogs are an emblem of Britain, after all, so they should be popular. That would be if the Welsh have forgotten a few sticky moments in the past, that is.They do suffer from skeletal problems. Ah, the Bulldogs, not so much the Welsh. So does my personal favorite breed the Shepherd have trouble with hip dysplasia. I'm afraid the breeding standard of today may encourage this problem. Designer dogs may be cute but all too often they do exhibit ailments that are both costly to their owners and painful to the dog. The Peekanese is such a breed that rushes to mind. Cute, adorable but that flat, sweet face comes at a price.

Lucky you getting some fall weather. It has warmed again here. Every morning I look out upon the beautiful, grassy landscape toward the deciduous trees beyond and hope to see some color change. No joy so far.

I am delighted that you are planning more model building. You have a knack for it. I wonder how the strong and ever present sea breezes might impact flight? Kites certainly love those and the thermals. My son has bought a nice drone. He flies that about. It has a video camera. I understan those are quite the rage with those who film wildlife these days for TV. He is not yet proficient. So far no one has been actually injured but there have been close calls. He tried to fly it through a barn once. That, it turned out, was not his finest moment. Perhaps you can combine all your hobbies into one?

Get some beer, maybe a lot if it is a hot day. Then get a drone or a plane you built. Next, attach a fishing line to the item that flies. To that add a hook and some bait. You see where I'm going with this, right? wink

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4379783 - 09/15/17 08:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

I was just looking again at the huge range offered at Steve Webb Models here in the UK. Perhaps you can bring that website up on your browser. It wasn't long before I began to lose touch with the realities of choosing the right size for my needs. I quickly strayed from the 26" li-po jobs and in no time at all I was drooling at the prospect of having the 1930's scale build, Eastern Airlines DC-3 weighing in at around 5' + span, hanging from the ceiling. Then, there was a 9' span Fiesler Storch kit for the price of a good run-about car which required an 80cc engine etc. It's all a matter of self-control. rolleyes

Manfred von Richtofen

#4379790 - 09/15/17 09:10 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

I'm guessing 60 inches is 5 feet there too, right? If it has folding wings you might get it in the family car without the family. I had a 3' wingspan F4U once. I attended some fly-ins by the local RC Modelers club and saw some large standoff scale planes. One, a Piper Cub had a lawnmower engine in it. You are a brave man if you tackle one of those and actually have the nerve to fly it IMHO I am imagining the hours of work and the cash outlay that is put into one of those. I saw a friend fly his big P40 right into a barn. He was remarkably calm about it. The first flying kit I ever built had its wings held on with stout rubber bands. The way I flew it then that proved a good idea. It was Christmas and I received it as a gift. The glo-plug engine on it was slightly underpowered but when the prop hit my ice cold fingers starting it that felt rather powerful to me. I recall that I had to attach a rather tall and round Everready dry cell battery to the engine to start it. You don't see those today. At least I haven't seen one in ages. The Storch kit sounds interesting. You could research the markings for the Otto Skorzany rescue of Mousalini and paint it accordingly. I never asked but I am sure insurance of some kind is required to fly one of those really big birds. The DC3 is a wonderful design. There are quite a few still flying freight and passengers. That was the type plane Rick Nelson was killed in.

I am not familiar with that brand of kit. I will check them out. I am in complete control of everything... except self. Instant gratification is not fast enough for me and I can resist EVERYTHING but temptation. biggrin

#4379792 - 09/15/17 09:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

What a place. Amazing what there is today. I have seen the jets flying and examined the engines but they have radial engines now! Never seen one for model planes before. I'm going back to that site later.

#4379878 - 09/16/17 01:48 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The weather is good here today if warm. It is partly sunny with a current temp of 69°F. and a humidity 100%.

Harry Dean Stanton, the gaunt, hollow-eyed, scene-stealing character actor died on Friday in Los Angeles. He was 91. Harry Dean Stanton, Character Actor Who Became a Star, has passed away. He had a long career but remained largely unknown to the general public until 1984, when the seemingly impossible, or at least the unexpected, happened: Mr. Stanton, the quintessential supporting player, became a leading man. hat year he starred as a wandering amnesiac reunited with his family in Wim Wenders’s “Paris, Texas,” which won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival, and as a fast-talking automobile thief training Emilio Estevez in the ways of his world in Alex Cox’s cult comedy “Repo Man.”

The critic Roger Ebert once wrote that Mr. Stanton was one of two character actors (the other was M. Emmet Walsh) whose presence in a movie guaranteed that it could not be “altogether bad.” I've seen Stanton in so many movies, almost as many as the well-known Strother Martin. he was an accomplished singer who formed his own band, which played rock, blues, jazz and Tex-Mex numbers in nightclubs and on tour. Credit Jae C. Hong/Associated Press Mr, Stanton is credited with 99 movies or TV shows.

It appears Hurricane Jose's center will track away from the East Coast. It might be a problem for some North of us later on. Hurricane season for us continues on into November so, although we have been fortunate so far, we are not out of the woods yet. It is nice to have Dux, MG, OG and Fittop posting. Dux, let us know what you choose to build. I think they have a monster with a 10-foot wingspan. It would take a sizeable engine to lift that. I wonder what the glide ratio is for those? Considering everything including cost and labor plus the strong sea breezes etc. I think I would choose a box kite. When I was a kid an older boy built a large box kite and that thing almost lifted little me right off the ground. Unless you have added a few stones of weight you could go down in history books (as well as the sea) as the first Welchman to make it to Greenland by kite. Perhaps the final record still unclaimed. biggrin

#4379911 - 09/16/17 07:19 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

Dux, sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are the best. The loss of one is similar to losing a family member. My best buddy, Harley, died 10 years ago and I still grieve. I miss him and the other dogs in my life. Yep, they are the best.

I never had much success with flying models. Never had anyone teach me. I just went at it on my own. I guess I was too ham-handed and overcontrolled. Crashes led me to believe that it was too time consuming and expensive. Maybe that was another problem; I didn't have the money to get good equipment and like almost everything good equipment make the difference in performance. I will be interested if you do take the plunge and get started with them. Please let us know.

Funny, remote control planes were too difficult for me, but I fly a real plane. I wonder how I would do now. I'm thinking that my real life experience would be beneficial to model flying.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4379912 - 09/16/17 07:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Dux; Those models certainly look tempting... and rather large. They must be difficult and time consuming to build? When looking through the website I notice that a lot of models are out of stock or unavailable and there is no information regarding whether those items will be available again or not. . The reason why, is that I do have a soft spot for the Royal Aircraft Factory SE5a, but kits seem to be scarce and out of stock. And I should probably go for an easy beginner's kit although the 1/4 scale models that I have seen are very impressive looking.

Roger; Harry Dean Stanton I last saw in Twin Peaks The Return. Reaching the age of 91 and apparently being in fair health and able to work right up till near the very end isn't so bad. As the fans of the show say; He's gone straight to the White Lodge.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4379919 - 09/16/17 09:36 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

McG, I too have a fondness for the SE5a. It goes against all my preferences; it isn't streamlined with that squared nose, it is slab sided, lots of dihedral, lots of wires, single Vickers rather than two, has that Lewis on the upper wing, the enlongated pilot head rest, etc. A whole list of things I don't like; ... but it all comes together just right. Can't say why, but it does.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4379927 - 09/16/17 10:23 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

I used to fly the Se5 in "Dawn Patrol" But in "Flying Corps" I loved the Camel and Spad. Rickenbacker favored the Spad. When flying for the guys with the pointy hats I usually flew the Albatross.I do not yet have a desktop gaming computer and the peripherals needed to fly either 'Rise of Flight' or 'Flanders Fields". I will have another WW1 flight sim before long. Which is best? I know Dux had RoF.

We've been busy with other things. They are landscaping the 2 acres now and should pour the foundation for the new house next week. If weather permits, we'll be in it before the holidays. It will be satellite TV but thankfully the Internet will not be by satellite. Maybe they have improved satellite internet since I tried to use it at someone else's house? THe latency and disruptions were unpleasant. The speed was disappointing. I'd prefer a DSL copper wire connection to that. They have improved DSL I'm told.Has anyone used that?

I don't know why but I was a bit surprised you remembered Harry. I should not have been because his movies are everywhere one way or another. Every movie he was in was improved by his being in it. The stars are important but often it is the character actors and supporting cast that make or break a film IMHO. I a pleased to see that you are posting OG.

My Amazon package came earlier than expected. I have Bluetooth now on the laptop, a new cordless mouse so I can return the old one to the little notebook (My fingers do not like touchpads). And there is a nice USB hub attached and working fine. Everything played nice with Win 10 and is working fine after a flawless installation. The Bluetooth adapter came with an installation CD that contained the driver but that wasn't needed. I can set the CPI with one of the five mouse buttons. I don't change that often though. I was for some reason losing sight of the other mouse on these pages. This one seems easier to be easy to track.

#4379935 - 09/17/17 12:11 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

JRT, thanks for the affirmation. You all have had a long term relationship and I sometimes feel like I'm intruding.

About Windows 10. I may be getting a new rig and of course Win 10 is the standard. But my question is how does it do with some of the older legacy games ? Like the Close Combat series, Hearts of Iron 3, OFF, etc.

#4379955 - 09/17/17 10:02 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

OG; Glad to learn that you are partial to the SE5a too! The Sopwith Camel although a fine machine and a true legend, perhaps in part because of a very well known Beagle sitting atop his dog house and exercising his imagination, was agile but not very fast, whereas the ruggedness and utilitarian looks of the SE5a to me very much looks the business. And it was fast too. Especially in a dive. You'll appreciate the snap I took of a replica SE5a which was participating in the Roskilde airshow I attended some weeks back. The only thing about this replica that doesn't site too well with me, is the size of it. I think it is smaller than it should be, especially when compared to the German plane in the background in the picture. The replica however, could be said to be amongst the hottest models one could wish to fly.

Regarding W10 and legacy sims, I'm afraid I'm no longer current because of the Sim Fatigue Syndrome which I suffer from. I seem to remember that OFF recieved a patch to make ity work with W10, or was that WOFF? Better check in the forum section for OFF/WOFF and their website for compatibility. Anyway, OFF/WOFF is a fine sim which I can wholeheartedly recommend. The immersion is top notch in my opinion with it's unique dynamic campaign and extensive use of historical units, pilots and facts.

Roger; at the end of the day it comes down to what you deem best for you, RoF or WOFF, the name which I think is what "Flanders Fields" is known by today. As you can see from the above, I'm a little in favour of WOFF myself, but RoF is most certainly a ver fine sim too.

Attached Files IMG_20170819_155822650_crop.jpg

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4379978 - 09/17/17 01:46 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

An overcast day here today. A 10% chance of rain. The current temp is 68°.

OG:

Previously with Win 10 Pro first edition, I could run Strike Fighters 1 with almost all my mods pretty much as I had on XP and Win 7. There were some teething problems, however. There were some tweaks required but I found workarounds. IL2 ran fine if not better on Win 10. In fact, I modded that title with no difficulty. Be sure not to install any program you plan to mod in the X86 folder but rather either in the programs folder or just under C: Win 10 will make changing anything difficult if you install in X86. MG is right, check out the forums for the game you are interested in. Most have at least one Win 10 thread. Regrettably, I could never get BoB to run. There has been work done since 2015 so maybe BoB is now compatible? I had a couple of problems with COD but that I believe was due to the fact that I did not have a discrete video card on that computer. It was on the motherboard. COD ran perfectly except for one irritating flaw. There was no reticle in any gunsight save for the 110. I had to learn to get up close and practice to lead properly. Surprisingly, I had many successes. BTH if you feel like an Intruder, I'd say that is our fault. WE try to be welcoming here, we really do. Fittop is new but the rest of us have been here for over a decade. Do you feel like an interloper Fittop? Maybe we aren't doing something right?

More big storms are churning in the already reeling South Atlantic. Maybe there is a dance we can all do to send those away? Maybe to Denmar....Wale.... somewhere else. wink

MG:

Flanders Fields looks good, I agree. Dux seemed to have lost interest ROF for some reason. Then I believe he tried it again. I've looked at videos of both sims on YouTube. I'm not sure if they are both Steam sims or sold in the box. I would get them on Amazon. No hurry, as it will be November or December before I have the gaming PC. What OS did you have ROF on Dux?

#4380022 - 09/17/17 09:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Hello Chaps,

Thanks OG for your kind words of comfort regarding our recent loss and doggie observations generally. Such is the cavalier attitude to pet ownership these days, we will remain guaranteed to find a ready supply of unwanted pets of all descriptions to choose from. :sigh

JRT

Yes, I had ROF several years ago and flogged it to a standstill. After scoring about 330+ victories and having my carefully tailored tunic pulled out of shape by the weight of so many examples of the Victoria Cross, I decided that there was a rather unrealistic tendency of George V to work himself ragged as he strived to keep up with the many presentation ceremonies he held on my behalf. What I was really interested in was a visit from Ursula Andres, crates of finest champagne and a mattress capable of withstanding the bedroom olympics such as were displayed on the honeymoon of Leroy when he married Olga. She broke the heart of you and I, the brass bedstead and the back of Leroy...poor sod. Needless to say, it didn't last long. You will remember that she dumped him that night she looked through the window of the station art and craft hut and saw you posing in your birthday suit while a fair number of WAAFS and local village ladies attempted to daube your physical likeness onto canvas. Poor Leroy just didn't appear to measure up as you might say....so that finished it.

PS - OS was Win7.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4380032 - 09/17/17 11:33 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux: biggrin

Far be it from the likes of me to cast dispersions upon a mate's memory, much less one with both the Blue Max AND the DFC pinned several times upon both his sagging German and RFC tunics by Georgie 5 and his pointy-hatted cousin the Kaiser. Truth must be known. I feel I am duty bound to set the record straight as I witnessed it. As the vastly experienced lady of ill repute once said to the young, inexperienced soldier, "Please bare with me son, this will take but a few seconds.

You mentioned the comely Ursula Undress. She gave George Peppard an opportunity to play with his drum in that WW1 flick I can never remember the name of... The Blu- something or other. Anyway, I beg to differ on just a few points. Just the part between the word "honeymoon" and the word "say". First, let me say that I am noted for three things, my amazing memory plus two other things I cannot seem to recall at the moment. So, folks, this is What "REALLY" happened. LeRoy could not have married Olga because to my certain knowledge, the bounder was already married to three other girls during the time you mention. The HWH bylaws would never allow him to marry more than three as you well know Dux. We have to draw the line somewhere after all. Let's see, there was that google-eyed brunette who worked in the pub somewhere in Dover. There was that blonde chimney sweep who was churlishly made redundant when she surprised a nesting stork one dreary, cold morning. So startled was the bird it flapped its wings so hard that it knocked her boss right off the roof and into a full rain barrel. There was the lady undertaker who lived behind the coin-operated do-it-yourself crematory in Boogers Crypt. Wait, how about that tall redhead that used to drive a lorry filled with bituminous coal to Newcastle on alternate Wednesdays? She lived in that wee cottage next to the Vicker in Ruddy Mist. There may have been one other.... Hmmmmm.. Someone hand me that abacus.

Let's see now, the undertaker ,ah, and the chimney sweep, the lorry dri..... that is MORE than 3 wives! LE...ROY!!!!

#4380098 - 09/18/17 02:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The temp at 9:30 AM is 69°F. The humidity is much like it would be living in a wet sponge at 95%. It is overcast right now. The dewpoint is at 68%. There is a 4 mph breeze from the S. That brief spell of fall weather is missed by me. It will return and in no time we will feel the chill, don our coats and miss the warmth of summer. Yet I do look forward to it now. The sight of the first red leaf will excite me. I am probably related in some secret way to trees. After all, it is not unusual to be called a sap or wooden-headed. I like branch water. All my teeth have roots.

It appears that Jose has passed us but that new storm is getting stronger and headed on the same path as Jose. I do not want it, I do not need it, my neighbors might shoot me if they read this but better for it to come further up the coast than to hit Florida, I think.

Dux, do you remember C. Frank Actuary? You know, that fellow who started his own insurance company in Studley Grange. His slogan was "When you C. Frank Actuary don't think of insurance. But when you think of insurance, C. Frank Actuary. Remember? He made the dunderheaded mistake of insuring Olga of Minsk and rued the day thereafter. Yes, but one week later she experienced a powerful wind shear on final and plowed her aging Snud 13 right into the tower and two hangers at the Studley Grange RAF base. That would have been bad enough had the 12th Duke of Burpinghamshire, newly commissioned as an Air Vice Marshall, not been just finishing his paperwork in the loo of one of one of those hangers. That Lanc in hanger 1 that was being loaded with a Tall Boy bomb created by Barnes Wallis going off as the Snud took off its tail and starboard wing helped not at all.

Miraculously, the Air Vice Marshall escaped with his life if not his pants and was seen running out of the wreckage adjusting his undies by a passing group of female missionaries just landed from Africa. As he passed the astonished women, the Duke saluted smartly reported Wanda Howe told the military inquiry the following week. That the Duke was mortified by the experience and notoriety there is no doubt. He was always noted for his great piety.

Olga obviously survives completely unscathed however the inquiry found her responsible for the considerable damage including the cost of extensive therapy for the Duke. Poor Frank had to foot the bill and, as a result, went bankrupt. His brand new slogan read: "When you C. Frank Actuary don't think of insurance. And when you think of insurance do NOT C, Frank Actuary". That all happened about the same time Olga and LeRoy had their little fling. I mean that was about the time Olga, in a fit of passion, flung LeRoy out the upstairs window of her bedroom. They never married Dux. By the time LeRoy got out of hospital Olga was helping the Duke's recovery with her very special sex therapy regime. wink

#4380121 - 09/18/17 04:53 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
My condolences for your loss, Old Dux.
Though I was never privileged to have a dog of my own, I do miss one that was supposedly my son's but seemed to adopt me. This is some 25 years after his passing.

Apologies for my absence as I was attending a memorial for a friend.
Amazing that saying good-bye to one friend brings a togetherness with others sparking other recollections of common and uncommon experiences.
Ran into a friend whose time left may be shortened due to Agent Orange. On my return, finally told the lady of the house about a different nightmare, not sure she understood.

No JRT, I don't feel like an interloper here. I was surprised by the welcome, really, since the first words I expressed here were just a rightful praise for the sweat and really, love of flying and associated adventures expressed in this and other SimHQ. forums.

You gentlemen, have a way with words., and they sent me back into back pages of this thread you might have forgotten about but make very enjoyable reading.
That love of flying and its associations is what binds us all and would dare say may have also attracted OG whose notes about giant jumps above the ground are a pleasure to read and are spread here and in the community section.

As mentioned by JRT in some prior spaces there is nary a word of criticism in this thread. Positions may be stated but I have not seen any flame-backs or even ignoring of persons because of their feelings.
The awareness of my lack of education about computers and software is evident any time I read you guys, yet I have never felt excluded.
But before I get on my bike again, I best get on more pressing items like finishing my RE tax appraisal protest and clean around this desk.

Page 528 of 608 1 2 526 527 528 529 530 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.