Page 144 of 227 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 226 227
#4378262 - 09/07/17 06:58 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Ace_Pilto Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber
Ace_Pilto  Offline
Livestreamer/YouTuber

Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha
Yeah that was a nice shot.

(If one of our mod wizards can figure out a way to do more with the camera that would be spectacular)

Let's pretend I got the BWOC badge to embed here.

Wenn ihr sieg im deine Kampf selbst gegen, wirst stark wie Stahl sein.
"The best techniques are passed on by the survivors." - Gaiden Shinji
#4378372 - 09/07/17 05:04 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Helmut von Hammer
Jasta 4, JG 1.
Marcke, Flamders.

Sept 7, 1917. Rains predicted for the next 5-7 days so put in for a leave in Hamburg . However, my Uncle, the General, said stop and say hi to the Countess von Schmidt at the Castle Ludendroff on my way.

https://giphy.com/gifs/diana-rigg-yRxTZDFqn4Tq8/fullscreen

While in the Mess , I heard about the Big Fight the Baron got into with new English Scouts last week.

https://giphy.com/gifs/h4Ve5arz91dZu/fullscreen

Last edited by carrick58; 09/07/17 11:32 PM.
#4378397 - 09/07/17 07:01 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
So much good stuff going on here! Keep it up fellas...I turned in my time sheet and hope to add more soon!

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4378420 - 09/07/17 08:36 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sound of a lone engine wakes me from my paper work induced slumber. It is one of our Camels returning from some errand and by the sound of its Clerget, all seems to be in order. After the usual blipping, I hear the engine cease it whining and silence returns once again to my office. Not long after, ashen faced and still in his flight gear, Flight Commander Sinclair bursts through my office door without even a thought as to knocking. "Jack, blast it all man, what is the meaning of this", I exclaimed! It was at that moment I realize that he is alone and before he can answer my query, I ask another. "Where is the new man?" He was obviously shaken, so I pour him a glass of brandy and he downs it in one swallow. When he catches his breath, he quietly says, "The new man is dead!" "What, what happened", I said? "Can't anyone on this bloody aerodrome follow my orders? You were given specific orders that under no circumstances were you to allow him to get anywhere near the front. My God man, he was just a boy." The color rose in Jack's cheeks and I feared that I had pushed the man too hard, but he swallowed, took a deep breath, and began to tell his story. "You see sir, it was like this", he began. "I took the lad down around St. Omer just so he could get comfortable with the area. All at once and out of the sun, one of those damned black tails dove on us. I saw it in time, or I wouldn't be here talking to you, but the poor lad either never saw me turn away or was confused by my maneuver. The poor sod just kept flying along and so the Hun had an easy time of it and filled him with lead. The bloody Hun kept in his dive and by the time I had completed my maneuver, he was halfway home. So since there was nothing I could do, I returned home." Good, solid Jack, I could see that he was terribly shaken up by the event and so I thanked him for his report and reminded him to include all of this information in his written report. After he had quietly shut the door, I could contain my frustration no longer. I grabbed the nearest thing, which happened to be Jack's brandy glass and threw it across the room. "What the blazes am I going to say to his parent's? He hadn't even been here for 24 hours", I exclaimed! The anger died as quickly as it arrived and I moaned, "I hate this bloody, bloody war."

Attached Files 433px-Service_portrait_of_Anthony_Jacques_Mantle,_WWI_RNAS_Pilot.jpgletterhome.jpg
Last edited by Banjoman; 09/07/17 08:46 PM.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4378423 - 09/07/17 08:51 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
A tragic tale, well told. Thanks Banjoman.

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4378425 - 09/07/17 09:05 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Thanks, I've never done anything like this before. Usually just journal entries and letters home, but it was fun to try something completely different.

#4378443 - 09/07/17 09:52 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Banjoman
Thanks, I've never done anything like this before. Usually just journal entries and letters home, but it was fun to try something completely different.

Yes, it was an excellent foray into a different realm than most of us have been participating in. Cudos for the creative touch Sir!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4378445 - 09/07/17 09:54 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by Banjoman
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The sound of a lone engine wakes me from my paper work induced slumber. It is one of our Camels returning from some errand and by the sound of its Clerget, all seems to be in order. After the usual blipping, I hear the engine cease it whining and silence returns once again to my office. Not long after, ashen faced and still in his flight gear, Flight Commander Sinclair bursts through my office door without even a thought as to knocking. "Jack, blast it all man, what is the meaning of this", I exclaimed! It was at that moment I realize that he is alone and before he can answer my query, I ask another. "Where is the new man?" He was obviously shaken, so I pour him a glass of brandy and he downs it in one swallow. When he catches his breath, he quietly says, "The new man is dead!" "What, what happened", I said? "Can't anyone on this bloody aerodrome follow my orders? You were given specific orders that under no circumstances were you to allow him to get anywhere near the front. My God man, he was just a boy." The color rose in Jack's cheeks and I feared that I had pushed the man too hard, but he swallowed, took a deep breath, and began to tell his story. "You see sir, it was like this", he began. "I took the lad down around St. Omer just so he could get comfortable with the area. All at once and out of the sun, one of those damned black tails dove on us. I saw it in time, or I wouldn't be here talking to you, but the poor lad either never saw me turn away or was confused by my maneuver. The poor sod just kept flying along and so the Hun had an easy time of it and filled him with lead. The bloody Hun kept in his dive and by the time I had completed my maneuver, he was halfway home. So since there was nothing I could do, I returned home." Good, solid Jack, I could see that he was terribly shaken up by the event and so I thanked him for his report and reminded him to include all of this information in his written report. After he had quietly shut the door, I could contain my frustration no longer. I grabbed the nearest thing, which happened to be Jack's brandy glass and threw it across the room. "What the blazes am I going to say to his parent's? He hadn't even been here for 24 hours", I exclaimed! The anger died as quickly as it arrived and I moaned, "I hate this bloody, bloody war."

Good stuff Banjoman thumbsup

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4378460 - 09/07/17 11:29 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Super Job, Banjoman.

#4378475 - 09/08/17 01:28 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Congrats Banjoman. Glad you overcame your writer's block and you did it in style too. From now on we don't expect anything less from you.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4378477 - 09/08/17 01:52 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Haha, I knew you'd say that. I think I'll still do the everyday stuff but every once in a while add something nice like today. It was fun, but it just takes me so long to come up with an idea. I guess it is just like everything else, the more you practise the better you are going to be. Anyway, thanks for all of the kind words. I was hoping you would all like it.

#4378479 - 09/08/17 01:56 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

10 May 1917 @ 06h01 Attack on Athies Junction rail yard

At briefing Scott had re-iterated that HQ considered this a vital target as OP had identified troops and munitions were streaming into this rail yard.

Weather reports were indicating 8 kn winds from the SSW with potential for showers accompanied with several days of hot humid weather. Heavy cumulus was established between 5500 and 9000 feet.

“B” flight was assigned the attack role with “A” flight providing top cover.

Godfrey lead “B” flight composed of Clinton on wing, Lloyd, Caldwell and Rutherford accompanying. “A” flight was lead by Molesworth and composed of Jenkins, Horn and Young accompanying.

The flight formed up north of the field attaining an altitude of 11,300 ft at 06h24 and set a SE heading for Monchy le Prieux.

They crossed the lines at 06h32 cruising at 6,400 ft approaching Monchy.
Heavy shelling by both sides was observed and the Huns favored the flights with some flak so as they would not be left out of the party.

At 06h35 the flight had come down to 3,400 ft well below prevailing cloud cover and could now see Athies Junction in the distance.

At 06h38 Godfrey gave the signal to start the attack and they all began a steep dive to loose their rockets on the facilities below. Godfrey always felt insufficiently armed for such an attack, as the rockets were a poor substitute for decent bombs, and bombs were what they needed now. Having successfully hit the main building structures, Godfrey climbed out and gave the signal to reform. He circled for some time but the flight never materialized and so he set a straight course for the lines and Filescamp, ever watchful for Huns and any sign of his flight.

Arriving back over Filescamp at 07h21, he noted many craft at the end of the field and as he came in and landed he was relieved to see his flight had preceded him. He reported in to the RO just as his flight members were about to leave the office. The faces of the men wore expressions of many sorts. Some shock, some relief, some shades of pink, and some just staring down at their boots.

Godfrey just put his fists into his hips, standing there with a very stern look on his face for many seconds, and then just broke out in laughter. “What a pack of sorry looking chaps you folks are. I had every intention of tearing a strip off of each of you for ignoring my flares, but then on the long trip back, had been harboring a fear that somehow you had all gone west. I must admit that I was very much shocked to see you all here and just as much relieved.
Just don’t let it happen again or heads will role. They all headed to the mess for breakfast very much relieved for many obvious reasons.

(System_Specs)

#4378490 - 09/08/17 03:44 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

cool vid. Well Done old boy.

#4378515 - 09/08/17 01:06 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by carrick58
cool vid. Well Done old boy.

Thanks mate!

(System_Specs)

#4378576 - 09/08/17 09:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
BOC President; Pilot Extraordinaire; Humble Man
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

The DID Centenary Challenge Commendations Officer is pleased to present the following awards.

To pilots of the Entente Alliance

575 Hours Medal presented to: Banjoman, (Squadron Commander Arthur Ethelstan).
175 Hours Medal presented to: Fullofit, (Squadron Commander Cyrus Gold).
100 Hours Medal presented to: Robert Wiggins, (Lieutenant Albert Earl Godfrey).
75 Hours Medal presented to: MFair, (Squadron Commander Edgar Everheart).
25 Hours Medal presented to: Fullofit, (Sous Lieutenant Francois Wagnon).

To pilots of the Central Powers

450 Hours Medal presented to: Banjoman, (Rittmeister Ahren Auge)
75 Hours Medal presented to: Fullofit, (Hauptmann Aldi Schwarzkopf).
25 Hours Medal presented to: Lederhosen, (Offiziersstellvertreter Karl Steinhorst); Carrick58, (Offiziersstellvertreter Helmut von Hammer).

Well done Gentleman, you make your respective countries proud! You may pick up your spiffing new gongs on the table below.

Attached Files WOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_575_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_175_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_100_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_75_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_25_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_German_450_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_German_75_Hours.jpgWOFF_DID_Centenary_Medal_German_25_Hours.jpg

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

#4378586 - 09/08/17 10:28 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Oh, it is so good to see the gong fairy out and about. We sure have missed you, but I certainly understand your absence.

#4378592 - 09/08/17 11:14 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
New bling! Lou, Aldi, Cyrus and Francois are in your debt. Thank you for doing this, but wait a minute! Where is yours?

10 May, 1917 Halluin
Jasta 18

Aldi and his Kette have just parked their crates at the end of the airfield after an uneventful patrol near Lens. They've removed their heavy flight gear as the weather improved and it was a beautiful and particularly warm day. They've walked to the office to get some rest and report on the mission when out of the doorway came out a familiar figure. Leaning on a cane and with part of his face bandaged making it difficult to recognize Grieffenhagen greeted his pilots. They all stopped in their tracks surprised. Grieffenhagen now promoted to Rittmeister made another step forward. "What did I miss?" He broke the silence. They've all stood at attention and saluted as one to display their respect for their Jastaführer.. Paul Strähle couldn't help himself, he walked up to his C.O. and hugged him.
"Lieber Gott! Leutnant Strähle, you don't want to put me back in the hospital, do you?" Grieffenhagen was gasping for air. Paul let go immediately and stepped back embarrassed. Other pilots surrounded Grieffenhagen and started shaking his hand to welcome him back. Von Bülow who was all this time in the office decided to come out and stood in the doorway behind everyone with his hands in his pockets observing the going-ons. Aldi noticed his friend standing by himself and came over to talk to him.
"What's the matter? Sad to give back the command?" Aldi joked. Walter smiled and responded. "Not sad at all. It was a great experience." He paused and added. "Well, I'm off."
"You're not coming to the party? I assume Paul will organize one to toast Grieffenhagen's return."
"Aldi, I am leaving tonight. I've been given command of Jasta 36 and need to leave soon. Don't tell Paul. I don't want to spoil the mood and besides, I hate Good-byes. Take care of yourself, Aldi." He put a hand on Aldi's shoulder and walked away, leaving Schwarzkopf standing dumbfounded and in shock. This was the last time Aldi saw his good friend.

By the end of 1917 von Bülow was given command of the prestigious Jasta 'Boelcke' but was killed on 6 January 1918.

[Linked Image]
Grieffenhagen and von Bülow

Attached Files G&vB.JPG

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4378624 - 09/09/17 04:01 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

yea, Lou is back. Woo Whoo

#4378626 - 09/09/17 04:04 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Helmut von Hammer

Sep 9, 1917

Although safe in Hamburg, I cant help thinking about the last fight with Sopwiths.

https://giphy.com/gifs/sd6iI2m8oIKnm/fullscreen

#4378659 - 09/09/17 11:42 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Fullofit]  
RAF_Louvert Offline
RAF_Louvert  Offline

L'Etoile du Nord

Originally Posted by Fullofit
New bling! Lou, Aldi, Cyrus and Francois are in your debt. Thank you for doing this, but wait a minute! Where is yours?

Not to worry Fullofit, I received the hours medal for my pilot back at the beginning of June but since then I've not accrued enough hours to reach the next bar. Hasse is in the same boat with his current flieger.

Glad you folks like the bling, from this point on I will try to present the medals after each of Banjoman's stats postings so we can keep things more timely.

And wonderful stories and reports everyone, I am attempting to get caught up on my reading here. Made an extra large pot of coffee this morning. smile2

[Linked Image]

Three RFC Brass Hats were strolling down a street in London. Two walked into a bar, the third one ducked.

Former Cold War Warrior, USAF Security Service 1974-1978, E-4, Morse Systems Intercept, England, Europe, and points above.
"pippy-pahpah-pippy pah-pip-pah"

Page 144 of 227 1 2 142 143 144 145 146 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again