Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#4372808 - 08/04/17 09:05 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by *Striker*
I do have a BMS account, that's where I got the download.

Oh? Well it shouldn't be a problem sorting all those issues out then! smile I trust that you'll have a far better BMS experience this time and if you have any issues, feel free to post in the Falcon sub-forum or better yet, in the BMS forums so that any issues can be addressed and possible fixes sorted out. I look forward to more retractions of your previous statements as you get to know BMS more.

- Ice
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4372885 - 08/05/17 02:18 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: - Ice]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by - Ice
I look forward to more retractions of your previous statements as you get to know BMS more.

Everything I said was based on my experience on the first release of 4.33 and prior versions of BMS and F4 and I have updated a lot of my prior statements so I'm not going to retract everything I said like in your bullet list. I also said I will take a look at the current version and post my experience with that when I have time and correct or add to my earlier statements. I downloaded the current version which is 4.33 U1 and U2.

#4372898 - 08/05/17 04:16 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Everything I said was based on my experience on the first release of 4.33 and prior versions of BMS and F4 and I have updated a lot of my prior statements so I'm not going to retract everything I said like in your bullet list. I also said I will take a look at the current version and post my experience with that when I have time and correct or add to my earlier statements.

Sure, you can say that now. However, the wording of your statements, the tone of your post gave zero hints that you were posting based on "experience" or from "opinion." They were not made in the "I could be wrong, but for me....", no use of IME or IMHO. You were posting with absolute certainty. You had flat-out declaration of things like bad graphics, buggy MP, even questioning other user's claims/experiences, and the like, so backpedaling on that now is hilarious. Editing old posts isn't also a "retraction" per se.... erasing a mistake is not the same as fully owning up to it, admitting the mistake, and publicly retracting the statement/mistake.

Also, do note that some of your claims do not even reflect 4.33.1 or even 4.32.7 or earlier, so unless your claim was under pre-4.32, then they hold no water. This isn't the case, however, as you've fully confirmed that you were flying 4.33 and not any pre-4.32 version of BMS.

I downloaded the current version which is 4.33 U1 and U2.

Do note that the current version of BMS is 4.33.3, so you will need Update 3 as well.... but you should very well know this if you do indeed have a BMS account as the link for Update 3 is at the very top, it's the very first sticky post on the Release & Updates forum.

[Linked Image]

It's also the second sticky post on the Announcements forum.

[Linked Image]

Let me just assure you that from someone who is CURRENTLY flying BMS 4.33.3 and has been flying BMS since 4.32.1, you will have to retract EVERYTHING in the bullet list and MORE if you are at all interested in full honesty and correcting your statements. The bullet list IIRC is only from statements you made on THIS thread and even then, I don't think it's an exhaustive list.

- Ice
#4372928 - 08/05/17 09:51 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Here is a video of Falcon 4 BMS 4.32 made by our very own Chris "BeachAV8R" Frishmuth for SimHQ!! The publish date on the video is Oct 12, 2011 and according to the development history from Wikipedia, this puts it just after BMS 4.32.0 was released (Sept 4, 2011) and definitely before BMS 4.32.1 was released (Feb 16, 2012).

linky

We can clearly see that even at 4.32.0, BMS had mountains and hills and good terrain elevation, there is minimal terrain tile repeats, targets (KOTAR) are definitely 3D models, the airfields are VERY detailed and with good texture resolutions... I was going to post a detailed analysis with timestamps and everything but throughout the video, all of this is apparent and I honestly just ended up watching the video and enjoying how far BMS has come since 2011/2012.

For comparison, here is a video of Falcon 4 Allied Force (jump to 14m 30s into the video)

linky

Here's another one from the same guy flying in Korea this time (jump to 21m 20s into the video)

linky

- Ice
#4372932 - 08/05/17 10:35 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Nothing to retract like I already said. I was already aware that there was a another update but thanks for the info.

#4372933 - 08/05/17 10:52 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Nothing to retract like I already said.

Sure, sure.... not forcing you to retract anything at all... just wanted to make that clear. You are always free to let those nonfactual statements remain; I've already done my bit to show how they are false. I just thought you were out to correct your earlier statements smile

I was already aware that there was a another update but thanks for the info.

I downloaded the current version which is 4.33 U1 and U2.

Of course, just making sure you were aware that there are THREE updates.... that didn't seem the case when you just mentioned U1 and U2. Rest assured that the third update is unnecessary, 4.33.1 alone is enough to address most (if not all!!) of the stuff on the bullet list.... some of them have even been addressed in 4.32.0 as shown above!

Good luck!

- Ice
#4372961 - 08/06/17 02:07 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Nothing "nonfactual" about it. I've made it very clear that I was referencing my experience with older versions of F4 and BMS and I've corrected other statements that were inaccurate. And I've already made it clear that I would try out the new version to see the difference that you guys are seeing. This is the last I'll comment on the retraction issue.

#4373017 - 08/06/17 05:23 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Nothing "nonfactual" about it.

duh
I would suggest you stop the charade. Like I said, you can let those nonfactual statements remain and I've done my bit to show how they are fantasies.... let us not pretend there's an ounce of truth in it. If there is, feel free to show where it is; just claiming "nuh-uh!!" isn't a valid response. If there isn't and you want to use the "it's my opinion" get-out-of-jail-free card, by all means do so, but again, your opinions are based on erroneous observations.... everyone is entitled to their own opinion, I recognize that. I'm just saying you've made yours based on an unknown, non-4.33.X, non-4.32.X version of BMS.

I've made it very clear that I was referencing my experience with older versions of F4 and BMS

Yes I have. I loaded it back awhile ago to just see what all the buzz was about. It's still the same flat boring graphics that it was years ago. - Original version
Yes I have. I loaded it back awhile ago (original 4.33 release only and not latest version) to just see what all the buzz was about. It was still the same flat boring graphics that it was years ago. - Edited version
Just so I'm clear on this though, the version I have that I downloaded and ran recently is 4.33.
I may install it and try it again to see what differences there are. It was 4.33 because I still have it on my backup drive.

Hmmm... interesting how you've confirmed 4.33 a few times.

I would try out the new version to see the difference that you guys are seeing.

I've already shown that "the difference" is plain to see even in BeachAV8R's BMS 4.32.0 version and his video easily disproves all the graphical claims you've made, so going from 4.33.1 to 4.33.3 isn't really going to make much of a difference.

mycomputer

- Ice
#4373107 - 08/07/17 05:06 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

"In critical moments, men sometimes see exactly what they wish to see.”-Spock - Star Trek, season 3, episode 9 (“The Tholian Web,” 1968)

#4373165 - 08/07/17 04:16 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Points have been made and illustrated. That's quite enough of the BMS conversation in this thread. We have strayed far enough away for long enough, this thread is for the F/A-18 for DCS.

Let's try to stick to it from here on out.

Thanks.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4373201 - 08/07/17 10:54 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: Art_J]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Apologies, Force10. Please allow me to say that *Striker* is most welcome to post about BMS on the Falcon sub-forum if he wishes to continue this discussion. smile

Now back to your regular Hornet programming....

Originally Posted by HomeFries
While a hornet stick with a hornet sim makes perfect sense for a demo, we don't know how far along TM is in interfacing the hornet stick with the WH base. Perhaps all they have right now is a physical prototype in a glass case.

What is there to interface? Assuming you have the same number of button/hats/switches, will it really matter how the button/hats/switches are laid out? If there are MORE on the F-18 stick, then I can see where the issue is.... but looking at pics of the Hornet stick, it looks like it only has three hats, three buttons, and a paddle switch... so on the F-16 grip, that'll be TMS/DMS/TRIM for the hats, pickle/msl step/pinky for the buttons, and paddle for the paddle.... the F-16 has 5 more "buttons" in the form of the CMS UP/DOWN/LEFT/RIGHT/IN.

I'm sure you saw the interview where the person asked Wags what consoles DCS worked with. That is the nature of mass market video games now. Even most brick and mortar game stores have removed their PC shelves, or at best have limited them to a single section with EA, Activision, and Tycoon Simulator titles.

While I facepalm at the memory of that interview, I don't think she is representative of the current market. FSX and P3D and XP have enough of a market to justify continued production/improvement of their base simulation. There's enough of a 3rd-party market that quality products are made by select studios. While it may not be enough to compete with AAA titles, I think the market is still big enough to warrant a decent push to revitalize it. Heck, ED is surviving one way or another....

Why would it be a good strategy for ED to have their own booth at E3 with such unfavorable market dynamics? If ED had their own booth, people would be (rightly) criticizing them for whacked priorities.

See above for why ED should have their own booth.... but then again, ED may not be the "ideal candidate" for such things... smile

Originally Posted by Art_J
Straight from horse's mouth (Olgerd, one of the devs): "Yes, the AG radar picture itself works. It is not integrated into F/A-18 displays yet.". That's all we've been told though.

Cool! Any chance of a link to that, Art_J? Thanks!

- Ice
#4373256 - 08/08/17 08:40 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
I just hope it comes standard with Australian RAAF skins and not rely on some mod to make it happen.

As it stands, the logbook carries Australian colours [sic], hopefully the aircraft comes with skins to match.

#4373346 - 08/08/17 07:17 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

I think skins won't be a problem smile

- Ice
#4376321 - 08/25/17 01:02 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
One of these threads mentioned the F-18 video's not showing the Air to ground radar.....be buggered if I can find it....however here is a post by Wags informing the dumbfounded consumers that ground radar was implemented and working as far back as Feb 2015.....yet no video of it working in August of 2017.....Unless I am mistaken of course.

Wags FTW

I think it is a relevant post.

#4376326 - 08/25/17 01:28 PM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

LOL... they may have had to re-work the radar from the ground up. You know how ED is smile

- Ice
#4378265 - 09/07/17 08:02 AM Re: DCS F18 [Re: tempusmurphy]  
Dondy Offline
Dondy  Offline

Germany
On a german gaming side someone just quoted some interesting points mentioned at the mudspike forum:

[..]
On the top right of the MPCD, on the HSI display, is the currently selected waypoint. In this case, it’s Bumpi. Above bumpi is the bearing and range to the point: 086 for 22.5 miles. Bumpi is an intersection in California. Now what’s on the reciprocal of that from Bumpi at 22.5 miles? NAS Lemoore.

Though we can’t see much outside the cockpit, you can see some buildings and runway edge lights. More than I’d expect for a low detail area. Maybe it’s nothing. Maybe it’s a tease. But I’m willing to speculate that we’re getting some surprises.[..]

Hornet_FB_Pic_1
Hornet_FB_Pic_2

In memory of the JaboG34 "Allgu" Memmingen 1959-2003
Last take-off: 17.12.2002 10:06am

Legends may sleep but they'll never die
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.