Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#4381333 - 09/25/17 08:10 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the tips fellas. I want my formation just so, and to move it as a whole so I will try this out.

Immigration, yes. I mentioned it a couple times in my earlier posts. It's a serious penalty, and WRE gets constant immigration. The only way I know to combat it is to raise taxes, but of course that would cause your empire to implode when public order is already on the brink. On the plus side, those immigrants bring in lots of money.

In my WRE run I was able to get everything I controlled in the green for PO ( I ran medium taxes the whole game). It has to be done through buildings, religion, governors and edicts. I saw no other effective way, I just made sure I had a few anti-rebel stacks in certain areas. A couple of stacks of about 12 units to station in places where my field armies could not reach within two turns. In my run that meant Gaul and Iberia. Later in the game all stacks were max, but through the early game and mid game I had these armies to react to rebellion. I would usually let the rebels grow for one turn to get the next 20 off negative PO, then hit them 12 to 8. When I saw that a province would rebel the next turn I stationed the 'police' units in the center of the province so that no matter where the rebels popped up I could reach them. You don't want them to be able to retreat out of your movement range.

I posted a PO screenshot before and mentioned how it would probably only mean anything to me. And now you might see why I was so happy about it. It's a tough thing to control. To be able to build up your economy while keeping PO in check as the WRE is a massive challenge!

Obviously you need to be mindful of food shortage as it gives a -25 penalty. My WRE was light on industry buildings as I just couldn't afford the PO hit in many areas. Don't be afraid to un-tax certain provinces for a short time if you can afford it.

I still have the save so if you want to know how any of my provinces were arranged I can let you know.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4381350 - 09/25/17 09:09 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I seem to routinely forget that a revolt is not that big a deal and that as long as you can get a decent army to the location they are relatively easy to beat and waiting at least one turn restores 20 points to public order. I seem to get in this mindset that I never want a revolt.

Something I forgot to mention about controlling the highlighted "ghost" army footprint to set a final destination is that it is really handy when you have a reinforcing army coming on to the field.

Of course you have all the time in the world to set up your initial army before hitting the start battle button, but then your reinforcement army comes on to the field in no particular formation.

If you can find a preset formation that is usable in a pinch then just wait until all of the reinforcements are on the map. Select them all and click one of the formation presets. They will go into a Chinese fire drill getting organized. However, at this point, if you depress the space bar you will see their ghost army already in the formation that you just selected. Remember that they are not truly padlocked yet, so you only want to control the "ghost" army. Use your arrow keys to move the Ghost army to the position you want to support or join with your main army.

Your reinforcements will continue to organize into the the preset formation while at the same time move to the destination you chose for the ghost footprint. They will arrive at the destination fully formed. You can then adjust individual units if you have time once they get there and regroup for the full padlock if you need it.

If you are the attacker and the enemy army is in a defensive stance, you really have all the time you need. However, if you are the defender and the enemy is moving toward you, being able to use this feature to quickly get your reinforcements organized and on the way to the spot of your choosing can be a great time saver.

Cheers

P.S, Of course your mini-map will show the entry location for your reinforcing army, so it's best to try to put your starting army as close to that point as possible while still choosing the best ground you can.

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4381366 - 09/25/17 10:17 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, I agree. Rebels are OK as long as you can get to them quickly. I was also thinking that letting Western Roman Rebels actually take border provinces wouldn't be the worst thing. They will build to full-stack and then sit there. They don't conquer. They seem to take a town and stay there. You could have the rebels garrisoning an entire border for you, then take them back when you're ready to expand.

I didn't realize the reinforcement location shows during the deployment phase. Good to know thanks.

#4381380 - 09/25/17 11:16 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by DBond

I didn't realize the reinforcement location shows during the deployment phase. Good to know thanks.

Yes, there will be a little dot the same color as your army showing along the edge of the mini-map before you click to start the battle and it's usually located in a position relative to where the armies were located before you went to the battle screen, so it's important to manage that your reinforcing army is sort of behind you on the strategy map before initiating the battle if that's where you want them to come from.

Cheers

Last edited by Forward Observer; 09/27/17 03:29 PM.

#4381459 - 09/26/17 11:10 AM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What I find amusing is how can the rebel forces afford to have a 20 unit army with some pretty good level 2 units in it when they only have one settlement that is generating like 350 wealth per turn? Hmmm....

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4381670 - 09/27/17 01:44 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, true and they aren't just a bunch or peasant militia either. A full stack of Roman rebels are a formidable foe indeed.

As for my Ostrogoths run, It's around 434 and I've taken most of Italy and hold Rome. I had flipped to Latin (from Arian) Christianity very early on, as soon as I settled. I have a foothold in Dalmatia, having taken the city. But the rest of Dalmatia, all of Pannonia and all of Dardania have been razed, and all three provinces are required for the minor victory. So I've plenty of colonization to do. I've created a 'seed' army of nothing but cheap pikemen and hurlers for the purpose.

Sassanids are the big winners among the AI and are very strong. We had butted up against one another on the Carthage border, with bad relations. Actually, they kind of snuck up on me, quickly taking the Libyan coastline while I wasn't paying attention. If they had attacked me my campaign would have been in trouble. So I started doing eveyrthing diplomatically that I could to appease them. Gave them gifts, broke treaties and declared war on their enemies. I managed to hold them off this way and then one turn they were suddenly my enemy. What the hell. No declaration screen. Turns out my enemy Garamantia had 'invited' them to crush me. So I cheated, reloaded the save and asked Sassanids to join my war against the Garamantians. So cheesy.

The early part of this run was easy. The mid-game has been hard. My Allies are useless and probably cause more harm through relations with other nations than they're worth.

#4382079 - 09/29/17 02:41 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I began the necessary resettlement using the seed army, but then bought Divinity Original Sin 2 and put Attila on hold for a bit while I play that. I'll come back to it though. I'm glad I gave this game a go, and I like it so much that I am considering trying Rome 2 despite it's reported flaws. I even think I want to try Warhammer 2. I've been playing nothing but TW games all summer, so it's time for a break I think.

I hope F/O keeps on with the WRE run, I'd like to follow along. And if anyone else starts a game, post about your adventures.

#4382082 - 09/29/17 02:45 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I enjoy Rome 2 a lot and quite honestly the only thing I would consider to be a flaw are the agents which are way too effective and it was also a mistake to get rid of the agent death from a critical failure like what you have in Shogun 2. If you are going to make agents (especially spies) so effective then there needs to be a risk involved as well with your agent dying if they have a critical failure.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/29/17 02:46 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4382088 - 09/29/17 02:57 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I've read that the family and politics is 'broken' in Rome 2. True?

#4382106 - 09/29/17 04:15 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've read that the family and politics is 'broken' in Rome 2. True?

Nothing that I've noticed and I have over 2,000 hours in the game.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 09/29/17 04:15 PM.

#4382109 - 09/29/17 04:31 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good to know.

That's a lot of time. The only Steam game I have that sort of time in to is EU IV.

I imagine I've also sunk more in to Falcon 4 and Grand Prix Legends, and if I combined the Football Managers,but most of that was before this sort of thing was tracked for me. I bet if I added all TW's together I'd be close as well.

That qualifies you as an expert I'd say, so I believe you when you say it ain't broke.

#4382114 - 09/29/17 04:51 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

That qualifies you as an expert I'd say, so I believe you when you say it ain't broke.

Thanks for the compliment. biggrin

The diplomacy in Rome 2 still has its quirks though just like the diplomacy in most other TW titles. You still have instances where factions will declare war on you and then will give you peace if you ask for it on the very next turn.

I do have to say that I think the diplomacy in Shogun 2 made the most sense. There was a real consequence if you broke a defensive or full alliance. The honor of your daimyo would take a hit and all of the other factions would see you less favorably. I also liked the fact that armies from other factions couldn't just march across your territory unless they were at war with you or you gave them military access.

#4382153 - 09/29/17 10:14 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Just thought I'd drop in and update my WRE campaign reboot. I just passed the short campaign win at year 425. I've probably had all the requirements met since about year 420. Now I have to figure out which long campaign goal I can achieve. I haven't expanded much other than to get the provinces that border the eastern coast of the Adriatic.

[Linked Image]

Right after Attila became leader of the Huns, they started raiding and generally messing with all of those coastal provinces, so I had to keep at least 5 armies busy. I would never take on an open field battle with a Hunnic army unless I had at least two to one odds unless it was a settlement defense Even three to two were usually bad odds.

Oddly, around late 421, Attila himself showed up with his army and 2 or 3 others. I got lucky and caught his army and only one other with four of mine. With that many armies, I usually have to auto-resolve. Anyway, after the main battle and a couple of mop up battles, only Attila leading a band of 12 men was left. Of course I played that one live and Attila was appeared to be killes. If there was a message that he escaped, I never saw it. He never reappeared and then suddenly at the start of year 423 a message popped up that Attila was now dead and the Huns would begin to fade. I've didn't think that it could happen that early in the game without killing him several times.

I'm not sure what happened unless he got killed several times by one or more other factions in those areas that the fog of war has covered. Anyway, it's now 425 AD and the Huns are down from the 2nd most powerful the the 30th. The ERE is about to go under and so will my buffer between me and the Sassanids, but I think I'm about ready.

My big issue it the British Isles. I never tried to retake them and now the Saxons control the lower half and they have been attacking me relentlessly across the English channel with at lease 3 armies at a time. I only have two armies up there, but each has scored a heroic defense against over 4000 attackers. Both settlements had guardhouse enhanced garrisons. I figure I've easily sent over 10,000 Saxons on to meet their pagan gods.

Now I just spotted a Saxon transport fleet that was sneaking down the coast headed for Aquitania. I've got no navy near by, but do have an army that can get there in at least a turn or two. At least they won't raze whatever settlement they attack like the Huns tend to do.

To comment about the faction political system in Rome 2, IMHO, it's inferior to that of Attila. and more than once have heard it compared to trying to herd cats. First of all there is no family tree. This sort of makes sense for Rome--especially during it's period as a republic. So the developer came up with a two to three family party system, but shoehorned every faction in the game into that system.

There was a pie chart of power influence that one had to maintain, but it was quite a bit less clear how to do so in the early releases of the game. Invariably, at mid to late game one would get a civil war, which was in effect the de facto "Realm Divide" for Rome 2. If you were playing as one of the three families of Rome, what would happen is that suddenly one of your major cities would have 10 full stack professional armies pop up all around it. However, they would leave that city alone and would then scatter like mice--wrecking havoc where ever they went. This would usually happen at a point when your armies were spread all around the Mediterranean.

This was not popular and to the developer's credit they listened and kept working to fix this and other issues with the initial release.

Believe it or not, at first, field battles actually had flag capture points, which were supposed to maybe represent supply trains. The bottom line is that you could be winning a battle and some random cavalry unit would capture your flag, which might be half way across the map, and bang, you would get an immediate battle lost screen. There was such an uproar over this feature that it was patched out pretty quickly.

Anyway, over a period of more than a year, they released 16 or 17 major patches with the final one being the free Emperor's edition that included a new free campaign for the war between Octavian and Marc Antony, which sealed the change of Rome from a Republic to an Empire. I think the company was a bit embarrassed about the release of Rome 2 and were trying to make up for it.

The game is still fun, but pretty easy--especially if you play a Rome (which I invariably do) Rome is a bit overpowered in the game just like they were in real life. It's also a pretty game and has a much less cluttered and gritty look than Attila does. There's nothing looks quite as good as a classic Roman army--especially after the Marian reforms in the game.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or some colorful Greeks
[Linked Image]

Cheers

Attached Files attila 2017-09-29 15-42-18-67.jpg

#4382462 - 10/02/17 11:51 AM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've finished the campaign in Rome 2 as many factions but yes, the Romans are far and above my favorite.

My other favorites: Suebi, Carthage and Macedonia.

#4382513 - 10/02/17 01:35 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good report F/O. Good job holding it together. It's good I guess that the Saxons are raiding and not occupying. It's also really good that Attila has met his maker. That should help a lot from here on out.

As for auto-resolve, it's a good option. What I tend to do is this...

-- If I outnumber the enemy I auto-resolve. The result will probably be better than I could have managed. Fewer losses for me anyway.

-- If numbers are equal or the enemy is stronger I fight the battle. It's almost certain I will do better than the auto-resolve. I might still lose, but I will take more of them with me.

#4382515 - 10/02/17 01:49 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I've probably fought at least a few hundred 3D battles in my TW career so I do tend to auto-resolve more often now than in the past unless like DBond menitoned, the numbers/odds are equal or the enemy is stronger. If I have the clear advantage then I just auto-resolve.

I have to say that in Attila and Rome 2, my favorite 3D battles are when I can do a combined naval and ground attack on a major capitol city like Carthage or Athens. Those onager ships firing flaming boulders at the city walls are a sight to see!

#4382536 - 10/02/17 03:48 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Siege and settlement battles in Attila are for me the best in the TW series. Either attacking or defending. It's come a long way.

#4441093 - 09/27/18 01:17 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Panzer's thread and talking about Attila made me want to give it another go. However I couldn't seem to get any traction picking a faction. Finally I settled on Asturias in AoC.

Which DLC factions do you guys recommend? I was interested in maybe the Burgundians. I've never really taken to cav-heavy factions, but there's a first time for everything. Has anyone tried the DLC factions like Langobards, Geats, Danes etc? Any of the Celts, Vikings or Longbeards you've found fun and interesting?

#4441099 - 09/27/18 02:40 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
For AoC, I really enjoyed playing as the Emirate of Cordoba for the simple fact that it's the only Muslim faction and thus very unique when it comes to the types of buildings and units that you can have.

For the DLC factions, I really liked playing as the Danes since it means lots of naval action and lots of raiding and sacking of coastal towns. It's a nice break from the traditional factions where the goal is simply attacking towns and occupying them.

#4441135 - 09/27/18 05:31 PM Re: Attila and Age of Charlemage plus The Last Roman too [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Danes are in AoC right? But with no cav. Thy are also available as DLC in Attila proper? Do they have cav in the grand campaign?

The only thing holding me back from playing as Burgundians (aside from the fact I haven't bought the DLC yet) is that they start so close to where the Hunnic stacks spawn. That might be irritating. Of course I could always migrate, but still.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.