Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4376901 - 08/29/17 05:19 PM Why do our tastes in music change?  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
There's no doubt that music has a very strong emotional aspect that either connects with people or doesn't and hence determines what kind of music we like and what we don't but what about bands/artists where you liked their music for a long time but then eventually you found their music to be forgettable? Is that due to us changing or is it due to the notion that maybe all musicians have a creative peak that lasts for a certain amount of time and then inevitably ends? I'll give a few examples of what I'm talking about:

Rush - Essentially all of their music from the 70's through the 80's I find absolutely great and I remember most of the songs really well. Something happened though somewhere around the early 90's because almost all of their albums since then I've found to be lackluster and whenever I listen to one of those albums I forget what I've listened to a few days later. In other words, the music just fails to "stick" to me.

Other bands where I really liked their first few albums but then faded for me: Garbage, Bush, Van Halen, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails and Pearl Jam.

I'm assuming I'm not the only one here who feels this way? biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4376938 - 08/29/17 07:47 PM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
After Signals, I kept up with Rush because I was an avid fan. However, the impact was never the same again. The Rush I will always love the most is best reflected in "Exit . . . Stage Left."

Maybe Sting had it right with quitting the Police while they were on top. As far as I am concerned, all five albums are great and can't be touched.

With Yes, my interest in new releases waned after Big Generator.

Genesis was exceptional in that I remained interested through most of their transitions until Phil left.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
#4376943 - 08/29/17 08:42 PM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
PM, my experience is a little different because I started cutting off Rush with "Signals" (1982) and then totally ignoring the follow-up "Grace Under Pressure" (1984). It wasn't until the 90's that I began listening to 80's Rush (in retrospect), so maybe my tastes were evolving a little in my 20's. But at the time I felt that Rush, like so many other epic 70's bands (especially Progressive Rock bands), had fallen prey to the MTV-friendly electronic/synth sounds of the 1980's. I did like *some* 80's music at the time, but not so much from the bands of the 70's. And I'm not referring to albums released in the early 80's that sounded as if they could have been released in the late-70's.

Kansas is a good example of this IMO, despite my liking 80's radio-friendly hit songs like "Play the Game Tonight" and "Fight Fire with Fire". Their best work by far was from the 1970's, IMO.

Then in the mid-80's you get a girlfriend and learn compromise, like parking to Bryan Adams vs. Sabbath (unless you're dating a Metal chick). wink But then 30 years later when you hear her singing "Paradise City" in the shower, you figure you didn't *completely* compromise your musical integrity back in the day (especially if she's well versed in Rush). biggrin

I don't think my tastes have hardly changed at all since my teenage years. I'm drawn to the same music, either by nostalgia or mostly because I still think it's really good (and I'm still discovering old gems). I also feel very lucky that I get to enjoy that music played live today (either original artist or tribute/cover), it makes for one hell of an energized date night (if you're both into music).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4376945 - 08/29/17 08:45 PM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
letterboy1 kinda ninja'd me as I've been farting around with my post for about an hour (back and forth in the editor). We're thinking along the same lines. smile

Last edited by MarkG; 08/29/17 08:54 PM.

The sun is in the east
#4377015 - 08/30/17 10:43 AM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: MarkG]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by MarkG
But at the time I felt that Rush, like so many other epic 70's bands (especially Progressive Rock bands), had fallen prey to the MTV-friendly electronic/synth sounds of the 1980's.

The same thing happened to Genesis. While I like their music from the 80's quite a bit there's no doubt that their sound became much more mainstream when compared to their stuff from the Peter Gabriel era.

I guess it's a good thing that Pink Floyd (with Waters) ended in 1983 which was just 2 years after MTV arrived on the scene.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/30/17 10:44 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4377016 - 08/30/17 10:47 AM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: letterboy1]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by letterboy1

Maybe Sting had it right with quitting the Police while they were on top. As far as I am concerned, all five albums are great and can't be touched.

I remember Sting getting a lot of hate from fans for quitting the band at the time but in retrospect now I think a lot of those same fans now respect and understand that decision. It takes a lot of guts and determination to walk away from something that is generating a crapload of money for you!

edit: Just found this interesting quote from Sting concerning the end of the band:

"Even though logic would say, 'Are you out of your mind? You're in the biggest band in the world—-just bite the bullet and make some money.' But there continued to be some instinct, against logic, against good advice, [that] told me I should quit."
—Sting on quitting the band in 1986.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/30/17 10:55 AM.

#4377043 - 08/30/17 03:31 PM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Yup, I can't blame Sting for splitting and going solo. My Police CD collection consists of only Zenyatta Mondatta (1980) and Synchronicity (1983), plus the Greatest Hits (Every Breath You Take: The Singles). I also have Sting's first two solo albums, The Dream of the Blue Turtles (1985) and Nothing Like the Sun (1987), and I still think they're fantastic (and different enough from the Police).

Still, it was cool watching the HoF reunion some years back...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CiQ5rJo5So

The sun is in the east
#4377267 - 09/01/17 07:17 AM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
A lot of bands evolve and chance their styles as they grow, their members mature and might want to try something new.
A lot of the time some of the the hardcore fans are very vocally opposed to this, calling it "betrayals" or "sellouts".

Rush is a great example of this when they went synths with "Signals". In the 90s they again returned to more guitar-based sounds.
Metallica got the same when they released "Metallica" (the black album), and yet again when they changed their sound again on "Load".

#4381095 - 09/24/17 06:57 PM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Wanted to add to this thread...

I mostly lost interest in music around age 25 (1993) and other than a few Classic Rock concerts, I just wasn't into it anymore, including car/home audio.

Then 15 years later, after turning 40 (2008) I became interested again like never before, but with the same older music (I'm listening to Journey's "Faithfully" as I type this). It's a midlife thing I'm sure, my tunes are both nostalgic and motivational to me, but I'm the only guy I know my age this has happened to. It's been almost 10 years now and it's only becoming more intense. For example, I've completely lost desire to watch television, I'd much rather listen to music, and now I'm getting bored with being online so often (not necessarily a bad thing as my productivity is way up).

My concern is having slightly impaired hearing that comes with age and lifestyle, but at least I am being much more responsible with headphone usage these days. Last night at the LSU game I saw kids with padded headphones (college football is LOUD, both fans and sound system) and it was cool seeing responsible parents.

The sun is in the east
#4381227 - 09/25/17 11:09 AM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
There has been a fair amount of music that has come out since 2000 that I enjoy but it's nowhere near on the same level as music that came out pre-2000.

I can't think of a single artist or band who I listen to with any regularity which started in the last 10 years or so. There is the occasional "catchy" song but that's it.

#4381968 - 09/28/17 11:41 PM Re: Why do our tastes in music change? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I have to admit, sometimes for me it's ALL about nostalgia/memories, especially with genres I don't normally listen to. For example, there are *very* few Country music artists I enjoy and even then, it's only a small collection of songs, almost always part of a 'Hits' compilation. Mainly the music my favorite aunt (a second mother to me) listened to and others that have passed on. "George Jones' 16 Biggest Hits" is probably my favorite of my small Country Music collection (pic shown on Ronnie Milsap thread), love it from beginning to end, which is bizarre considering artists like Garth Brooks and Alan Jackson (or just about any other Country artist not in my collection) are to me equivalent to getting a root canal with no deadener and gas.

With Billboard's #1s Classic Country (also featured on my pic)...

https://www.amazon.com/Billboard-1s-Classic-Various-Artists/dp/B000FZESRG

...you get great stuff like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ybCyqvPbjE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UVVS5-9HvA

How can I actually groove to this really old stuff so hard?! eek Pure nostalgia, my grandfather (the good one) absolutely loved it. smile

Guess what I'm saying is that not all music I enjoy outside of my norm, reminds me of trying to get laid or at least reaching second base (like Alabama does). biggrin

Last edited by MarkG; 09/28/17 11:55 PM. Reason: Better "El Paso" version

The sun is in the east

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.