Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4375829 - 08/22/17 12:10 PM VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked.  
DBcoop7 Offline
DBcoop7  Offline

Wisconsin
Ok I am not a guy in the know, as a grain of salt, but I received a announcement post off of discord and read VEAO is parting ways with DCS. I wanted to maybe know more about this, and attempted to see if there was a discussion going on giving more details in an ED off-topic sub-forum, but apparently that can't even happen without getting locked(perfectly their right to do so considering its their forum). But anyone know whats up?

Was it a money problem?
I don't have actually have any aircraft modules they model. On their website they state they have the p-40 and the hawk specifically, and then the euro-fighter, as well as " classic WWII War Birds and Classic Jet Aircraft amongst many jet, prop and rotary aircraft."

What gives? Anyone got the dibs?

Last edited by DBcoop7; 08/22/17 12:31 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4375831 - 08/22/17 12:17 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
DBcoop7 Offline
DBcoop7  Offline

Wisconsin
alrighty!!! i just noticed the thread locked below this so probably this is just going to go the same route, any MOD is welcome to delete this thread as its a redundant post.

#4375871 - 08/22/17 02:57 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
For more info, I would wager you'd get some of it via the ED forums.... however, the entire process has been brewing for years, I would think. This is just the "latest happenings" in that saga.

- Ice
#4375878 - 08/22/17 03:48 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
From tracking the history of the Hawk, VEAO knowingly used an old code that was unable to evolve with the DCS engine. Combined with a lack of ability of their development team to produce significant changes and updates. Finally, their own lack of effort into DCS obligations as they pursued outside mil contracts, finally caused the situation that is currently present.

It boils down to a failure to deliver to ED, not the customer.

#4375891 - 08/22/17 04:44 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
DBcoop7 Offline
DBcoop7  Offline

Wisconsin
I was also a little worried since, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, having invested a number of dollars into my rig, flight controls, & modules, concerned that something bad was going to happen to ED. If one 3rd party dev drops out thats not a big deal.

-Ice your sarcasm is fantastic in some of the threads I've read, thanks for the chuckles.

#4375894 - 08/22/17 04:57 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

You always have BMS when ED goes into poop.
money spent on modules will be learning-dollars.

#4375903 - 08/22/17 05:26 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Just for the record...the last thread was locked at the OP's request. I hate locking threads and try to avoid it when possible.

We generally honor a lock request from the thread creator in most cases. This thread is yours now DB...it will stay open unless it turns really ugly.

wink

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4375907 - 08/22/17 05:48 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
DBcoop7 Offline
DBcoop7  Offline

Wisconsin
ok thanks, Force 10, I asked to lock it because I hap hazardly saw a thread on ED get locked and decided to open a OT thread here newbishly not having looked at the threads below. I wasn't looking to open a hate thread, just wanted to know why both these business decided to go in different directions, given the points I had up above. I'm also new here and did not know the etiquette on what could be considered a redundant thread. Thanks for the feedback.

#4375921 - 08/22/17 06:25 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
To be clear, my reply wasnt a I hate ED or VEAO. Just trying to provide a valid answer.

#4375940 - 08/22/17 08:25 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
No company is going to wash its dirty laundry on any public forums (even British one, and especially Russian one biggrin ), either here or there, and since VEAO didn't go bust, you most likely won't find any ex-employee / insider shedding some light on the contract / legal issues either. We only know that a few months ago development of all VEAO's modules was halted while contract details with ED were being renegotiated, and that their Hawk and P-40 codes were for one reason or another more prone to going tits up with any major DCS engine update (both confirmed officially on ED forums by "the-powers-that-be")

Nevertheless, ST0RM's post, being a very reasonable educated guess (for anyone who's been monitoring the long and painful saga on ED boards) pretty much sums it all up. It's been a rather expected outcome for quite a while.

#4375943 - 08/22/17 08:44 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by DBcoop7
I was also a little worried since, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this, having invested a number of dollars into my rig, flight controls, & modules, concerned that something bad was going to happen to ED. If one 3rd party dev drops out thats not a big deal.
-Ice your sarcasm is fantastic in some of the threads I've read, thanks for the chuckles.

Glad you enjoyed the humor! As for your flight rig, even if something bad were to happen to ED, they're not the only boys in town and I'm sure you can find something else to fly smile

Originally Posted by DBcoop7
ok thanks, Force 10, I asked to lock it because I hap hazardly saw a thread on ED get locked and decided to open a OT thread here newbishly not having looked at the threads below. I wasn't looking to open a hate thread, just wanted to know why both these business decided to go in different directions, given the points I had up above. I'm also new here and did not know the etiquette on what could be considered a redundant thread. Thanks for the feedback.

Threads here have to get really bad before it gets locked down.... unlike the ED forums where you fart upwind and the mods clamp it down and issue you with a ban wink Feel free to express yourself more openly here. Not everyone will agree with you, no matter which side of the fence you're at, but such is life. Some tackle this like grown ups, others spit out their dummies and start a tantrum....

Also don't worry about redundant posts.... people will refer you to another thread if there is more activity or conversation going on there, but the mods don't usually "clean up house" as much as those reputable forums over there.

- Ice
#4376022 - 08/23/17 08:50 AM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: Force10]  
EagleEye[GER] Offline
EagleEye[GER]  Offline

Germany
Originally Posted by Force10
Just for the record...the last thread was locked at the OP's request. I hate locking threads and try to avoid it when possible.

We generally honor a lock request from the thread creator in most cases. This thread is yours now DB...it will stay open unless it turns really ugly.

wink

Good to know. I enjoy the reading and freedom here.

#4376065 - 08/23/17 04:40 PM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
HomeFries Offline
Air Dominance Project
HomeFries  Offline
Air Dominance Project

What St0rm said about VEAO, except that I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on the "knowingly" part. Both VEAO and Aviodev used the same coder for the systems, and he bailed on both projects when the DCS framework evolved enough to break his code. You can probably put some of that on ED for changing architecture like that, but without taking sides or getting involved in things with which I am not fully knowledgeable, the bottom line is that both VEAO ahd Aviodev had to rebuild all of the advanced systems from scratch.

I won't compare VEAO to Belsimtek's track record becuase BST's status as an ED Partner makes them more privy to the DCS architecture, and the lack of a language barrier also helps them out quite a bit I'm sure. However, compared to developers like Heatblur and RAZBAM, who have put out quality products in shorter timeframes, VEAO's ambitious plan was not realistic.

FWIW, RAZBAM has indicated that they still plan to release the AV-8B N/A Harrier this year, and Heatblur is currently crunching to get a Tomcat in DCS. With the third parties onboard, I wouldn't worry too much about ED's future.

Last edited by HomeFries; 08/23/17 04:43 PM.

-Home Fries

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
- Robert A. Heinlein

The average naval aviator, despite the sometimes swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy, and caring. These feelings just don't involve anyone else.

#4376130 - 08/24/17 12:36 AM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: - Ice]  
DBcoop7 Offline
DBcoop7  Offline

Wisconsin

Originally Posted by - Ice
As for your flight rig, even if something bad were to happen to ED, they're not the only boys in town and I'm sure you can find something else to fly smile

Come to think of it, I should start mapping my HOTAS for Sierras Red Baron.

Last edited by DBcoop7; 08/24/17 12:41 AM.
#4376131 - 08/24/17 12:50 AM Re: VEAO and DCS, perhaps a thread that wont get locked. [Re: DBcoop7]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Are you sure your rig can handle that baby? biggrin

- Ice

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.