Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4375595 - 08/21/17 10:47 AM Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers**  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Ok I finally saw this tonight and I have one question.

How did a xeno get onboard the colony ship near the end of the film?

The guy who had half his face burned could not have been infected. The face hugger that got on him was almost immediately removed and even if he was infected there's no way the chestbuster could have grown so quickly into a drone.

I agree with another SimHQ member who said that just like Prometheus, this story required people making too many stupid mistakes in order to "work".

I give this movie a rating of 6 out of 10.

Anyway, this is both funny and quite on the mark. biggrin

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/21/17 11:06 AM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4375597 - 08/21/17 11:00 AM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zoky Offline
Zoky  Offline

Serbia
They made mistake in that they wanted to explain plot holes in Prometheus but they ended up with even bigger plot holes. I think that they need to drop whole engineers story crap and concentrate on alien horror survival thingy

By reading this post you agree that i'm not responsible for any of your reckless actions
#4375599 - 08/21/17 11:07 AM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: Zoky]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Zoky
I think that they need to drop whole engineers story crap and concentrate on alien horror survival thingy

Fox should have just made a big screen adaptation of Alien: Isolation instead. Seriously.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4375611 - 08/21/17 12:33 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Ok I finally saw this tonight and I have one question.

How did a xeno get onboard the colony ship near the end of the film?

The guy who had half his face burned could not have been infected. The face hugger that got on him was almost immediately removed and even if he was infected there's no way the chestbuster could have grown so quickly into a drone.

Unfortunately, that is exactly what was implied. Two things: 1) the alert that sounded had the medbay as the source of an unknown lifeform--exactly where the guy with the burns was. Its a quick glimpse but I recall there is a body covered in blood that looks like the chest has blown out. 2) The xeno that bursts out of the captain did not take too long either--so I assume the same for the guy with the burns. I guess the facefugger was able to snap one off just in time.

I think the problem with these movies is that Prometheus was intended (by Scott) to be an ancient astronauts themed movie with fan service to the Alien franchise. Originally it was to be directly based on Alien. Now Covenant is trying to fill in the story between the original and new universes.

For illogical decisions, what about the woman that gets killed by the neomorph in the temple? She knows there is potential pathogen and yet she goes and splashes her face with water from a basin. Like WTH?

#4375612 - 08/21/17 12:36 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: Pugio]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Pugio

For illogical decisions, what about the woman that gets killed by the neomorph in the temple? She knows there is potential pathogen and yet she goes and splashes her face with water from a basin. Like WTH?

That was most definitely lazy writing. I guess they couldn't think of a better way to get her separated and alone in order to be killed via cliche' horror B movie style.

#4375631 - 08/21/17 01:14 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
I watched "Alien" when it came out many years ago - it was a good movie but you can only get just so much gas from a theme about ugly, face hugging, chest busting critters

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4375636 - 08/21/17 01:28 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Haggart
I watched "Alien" when it came out many years ago - it was a good movie but you can only get just so much gas from a theme about ugly, face hugging, chest busting critters

The first two films are bonafide classics. Everything after that was pure cash cow milking.

#4375641 - 08/21/17 01:40 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
"Watch me, I'll do the fingering"
*snicker!

- Ice
#4375643 - 08/21/17 01:43 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: - Ice]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by - Ice
"Watch me, I'll do the fingering"
*snicker!

Did you catch the Blade Runner reference?

When David gets stabbed under the chin by the Ripley 2.0 wannabe, he yells out "That's the spirit!". That's what Roy said to Deckard after Deckard smacked him in the head with the pipe.

#4375644 - 08/21/17 01:52 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Sorry, not that familiar with Blade Runner.... frown

Also, LOL on the TM WH being their joystick @ 1:26 in the honest trailer. Then there's this:

link

- Ice
#4375645 - 08/21/17 01:53 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
For this sort of thing my answer is...

Disengage brain...watch film...enjoy!

I rate this as a 7/10,possibly more.I will need to re-watch it a few times.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4375646 - 08/21/17 01:58 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Do the aliens die in the vacuum of space? Or can they survive as long as they're in an egg form or something?

- Ice
#4375651 - 08/21/17 02:09 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: - Ice]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by - Ice
Do the aliens die in the vacuum of space?

It's been established from the very first film that the xenos can live in the vaccuum of space at least for a short while.

#4375669 - 08/21/17 03:05 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Top Gun Offline
Lifer
Top Gun  Offline
Lifer

Roch-Vegas NH
wasn't a fan of this movie at all, left feeling they just left too much out of it.

XboxLive Tag: DOBrienTG1969

Dave O'Brien,
Top Gun Photography
Nikon D500 & D7200
Nikkor 70-200VR AF-s F/2.8
Sigma 50-500 & 17-50 F2.8
Sigma 150-600
#4375683 - 08/21/17 03:53 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: Chucky]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Originally Posted by Chucky
For this sort of thing my answer is...

Disengage brain...watch film...enjoy!

I rate this as a 7/10,possibly more.I will need to re-watch it a few times.

I enjoyed Covenant and I enjoyed Prometheus too. But its fun to over think nerd topics afterwards--keeps the brain functioning.

#4375685 - 08/21/17 04:06 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Almost all films have to make some concessions in order to make a story work but then there are also films with flat out lazy uninspired writing. IMHO, Covenant has the latter.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 08/21/17 04:07 PM.

#4375713 - 08/21/17 06:35 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
What I want to know if why Weyland-Yutani wants the alien so bad. It doesn't make sense to use as a weapon...So you bomb a plant with eggs or something, so what, what are you supposed to do, the surface would be crawling with these things--you couldn't just move in. Plus who are humans so heavy armed against in the Alien universe? There don't seem to be other intelligent life to compete against--at least that humans are aware of. Are there opposing human factions out in space? I suppose if you could develop the alien into some type of combat drone style weapon maybe that would be something. But it seems like an elaborate plan for a simple payoff especially as it seems there is no real threat out there. The engineers seem like their gone or their decadents have regressed back into a more primitive society.

Covenant seemed to try to flesh this out a bit with the Advent special edition scene--I hate these back story scenes BTW they add a lot to the movie but only a limited number of people you actively have in interest in this will ever see it--that seems to suggest a higher purpose to the whole xeno/pathogen created lifeforms. David says that in following his research there will be no going back and his "creatures" will rule the galaxy. But if that's the case why pursue it if it means the end of the human race? Why have a galaxy of xenos--they don't seem intelligent beyond a predators abilities at killing.

And lastly, I have always found it remarkable at the complete lack of surprise or awe that the characters in any of the Alien movies express at discovering any of these things. Like in Alien, there is no "first contact" excitement at discovering the derelict or in any of the other movies--even in Covenant there is no dialogue on seeing the remains of the engineer (or whoever they were) civilization. Finding non-earth life does not register with these people? Even in Alien Isolation the part where the crew finds the derelict there is discussion of a first contact situation its simply "we have salvage rights". What?

#4375724 - 08/21/17 07:13 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Ripley said it best in Aliens, "I don't know which species is worse, Burke but you don't see them *$^%$U& each other for a *^&(%( percentage."

#4634240 - 08/24/23 06:42 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
NoFlyBoy Online content
Hotshot
NoFlyBoy  Online Content
Hotshot

Just rewatch Alien Covenant:. Saw it once in cinema.

I won't use spoilers because everyone have seen this and if anyone hasn't, I don't think they are running to see it.

So many things wrong with it.

Assume the planet is safe because the atmosphere is like earth so let's not wear any helmets or protective suits to cover all bare skins, take a detour to answer a signal of unknown origin - that seems like the constant mistake in the Alien franchise - stop answering signals of unknown origins.

Then the guy is in sickbay going into shock and vomiting blood and has spiny things coming out from underneath his back, give him a hug with your bare arms and skin to make him feel better.

Sickbay door can only be open from outside when it's locked. Stupid girl supposed to be strong and smart or other wise why would she be picked as the member of the crew, she can't even fire a weapon correctly hitting the tanks and blowing up the lander ship.

The entire ship carrying 2000 colonists only have ONE LANDER? How were they planning to offload those 2000 colonist once they arrived to their original destination of Origae 6?

The Mexican that was left behind to command the Covenant risks the entire ship and all 2000 colonists plus 1000 embryos to go save his wife. Why would they even have active crew members who are related or married to each other? That makes people do stupid selfish things and put everyone at risk.

The captain of the ship sees the other robot David from Prometheus socializing with the alien creature that just killed one of his lady crew member and yet he follow him to the chamber with all the results of past alien breeding experiment and then follow him to the underground cave with the alien eggs. How stupid is he? Was there not enough warning signs for him to go HEY! SOMETHING NOT RIGHT HERE!

When the first guy got sick and the lady crew member Faris took him back to the lander, she kept calling the rest of the away party to hurry up, we need help.

2 or 3 shots of the away party on the radio asking what is wrong, who is sick, what's happening, and they are just walking in the park. NO ONE is RUNNING. NO ONE IS IN A HURRY. Even after Faris repeatedly call and screamed and cried on the radio, her voice in pure terror, the away party is still walking in the park , taking their time, no urgency and still asking what is going on? what's wrong? HELLO DO YOU HEAR THE TERROR IN FARIS' VOICE?

These are just a few of the things wrong with Alien Covenant.

Here are more:

https://whatculture.com/film/alien-covenant-15-blunders-that-ruined-the-film

https://carminerodi.blog/2017/05/20...ly-really-really-ridiculously-bad-movie/

and according to carminerodi.blog page above, Neutrinos bursts will not damage a ship so easily. The Jennifer Lawrence Passengers movie, at the beginning of it, the ship was also damaged by neutrinos bursts.

#4634241 - 08/24/23 06:50 PM Re: Who has seen Alien: Covenant? **spoilers** [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Billions of neutrinos pass through the Earth, every second.

There's no reason, whatsoever, that a ship could be compromised by these ultra low mass, non-interacting particles.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.