Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4374451 - 08/15/17 02:32 PM ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM!  
MaDeuce65 Offline
MaDeuce65  Offline

Washington, D.C., USA
For those of you NOT in the know -- World War II Online https://www.wwiionline.com -- the combined arms (Sea / Air / Land) massively multiplayer online Sim / first-person shooter is being released on STEAM...along with a powerful server upgrade, improved graphics, ballistics and new vehicles, weapons and equipment. I AM HOOKED ON THIS GAME. As Infantry, I've had TONS of fun playing riflemen, snipers, sappers, grenadiers, light machine gunners, sub-machine gunners, mortarmen and combat engineers. The playability is limitless, which is what makes this game unlike any other MMO/SIM-FPS I've ever played. Currently it's subscription-based ($7.99 / mo) and $14.99 / mo) AND Free to Play (with a 2-week premium free trial that includes FULL access to all vehicles, weapons and equipment) Here's a detailed description of the game from the WWII Online website:

Make history come to life or change it completely as WWII Online demonstrates the scale of combined arms warfare in a breathtaking and brutally realistic gaming experience. All combat is in first person alongside live players in the same game world where every vehicle or weapon is controlled by a real person. The game world is a single zone-less map set at half scale of the Western European Theater between 1939-1944. From this map, the game provides winnable campaigns that are completely player-controlled and non-scripted.

Play as a soldier, pilot, ship captain, paratrooper, truck driver, mission leader, high command officer, squad leader and much more!

Physics Based PVP Combat

WWII Online offers a variety of weapons and vehicles to choose from in every combat scenario. Play as an infantryman, bomber, panzer tank or drop in as a paratrooper.
Combined arms combat can be found across the entire scope of our world at war.

Real Players - Real Time

Every single air craft, infantryman, tank, truck and naval vessel is a REAL person in REAL time operating the vehicle! You will embark on very challenging game play that is both exciting and compelling.
If you think you have what it takes to go against our players, sign up and show up. We guarantee that you'll be tested and become a better FPS player by mastering the game.

Combined Arms

Make history come to life or change it completely as WWII Online demonstrates the scale of combined arms warfare in a breathtaking gaming experience.
Choose to pilot fighters and bombers, command tanks, run supply or mission creation trucks, captain and crew naval vessels, or fight on the field and in the towns as an infantryman or paratrooper capturing enemy territory.

Massive Scale

WWII Online is a massive scale WAR going on 24/7 driven by players. There are absolutely no zones, you can fly your aircraft from one end of the map to the other without despawning.
Hundreds of players can end up in the same fight or supporting that battle in the Army, Air Force or Navy. This scale and combined arms realism is the core that makes WWII Online stand out from everything else on the market.

Anyway, totally worth giving it a try...Hope to see a bunch of you fellow FPS / Tactical simmers on the battlefield in WWII Online soon!

-MaDeuce65

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4374484 - 08/15/17 04:07 PM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Is the game still stuck in the same Western European theater that it has been using since release back in 2001?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4374499 - 08/15/17 05:18 PM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Yes. It is for the most part exactly the same as it was years ago when you quit playing. They have not had a content update in years right up until recently when they figured out how to patch the game again. So now they are just starting to add new content again but the population is desiccated and those who are still there are very much jaded and set in their ways.

The game isnt popular anymore. Its not because they dont have the limelight... Its because the game is 15 years old. People have had children and those children have grown up to program games in the lifespan of the game.

And they still want 15 bucks a month for it... Yea there is a free account but you are severely limited on what you can play. Yes they have a half price tier but again it limits your rank and limits what you can play.

On top of all of this they still have not fixed what broke and killed the game. They still have the same mentality. They are trying to rope in fast paced twich players into a game designed for long range engagements. The mobile spawns KILLED the game. Moving the fighting into the cities and out of the countryside killed the game. If CoD players liked wwiionline they wouldnt be CoD players! You will never get those numbers and you will never get those players. All they did was alienate their actual playerbase and drive away their customers. They did the equivalent to what Star Wars Galaxies did except SWG at least had the dignity to lay down and die with dignity after they drove away all their players.

I loved WWIIOnline back in the day. Dont get me wrong it was a good game for it's time but that time is way over. They either need to rebuild it from the ground up and go back to their roots or let it die already.

#4374747 - 08/16/17 05:52 PM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that post Master. I played WWII Online for its first 3 years and while I had some good fun on many occasions, the game eventually got stale thanks to the campaign map never changing. Basically after 3 years I had my fill of WWII Online and moved on.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4374894 - 08/17/17 05:10 AM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I was always interested in this game but never got it because we did not have steady internet. I knew it still had a modding community but didn't know it was coming to Steam which first sounds cool but then......Master informs us they still want a subscription service. No way. It may be fine for folks who love the game and have money to burn but that's also the other reason why I never got it because I'll not pay a subscription fee to play any game ever as much as I can help it. That's just my personal taste but knowing the game's age and they are still requiring that is silly to me. They deserve to be paid for their product but that model, especially for a game so long in the tooth with no substantial updates in 15 years as this game, that's seems beyond reason to me. If that price is true then for a half year of online game service you'll be spending 90 bucks! No way!

If they were going to substantially update the game, procure steady servers and then charge a ONE TIME price of $25 or so then maybe I'd be interested. I'm glad there's a game like this that has been a classic and a long time favorite for many but man this method just does not sound very even handed.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4374905 - 08/17/17 07:09 AM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: Master]  
ODonovan Offline
ODonovan  Offline

Tampa, Florida, USA, North Ame...

Originally Posted by Master
Yes. It is for the most part exactly the same as it was years ago when you quit playing. They have not had a content update in years right up until recently when they figured out how to patch the game again.

Not entirely correct. The current group of Rats (developers - Cornered Rat Software) come from the playerbase. They rescued the game when it was on life support. They've updated a LOT of their hardware, cleaned up miles of poorly patched "spaghetti code," fixed a lot of bugs (fixing more all the time), and are currently doing full-on, realism audits on all game systems. Currently, there are explosives and small arms audits underway with more to come. Prior to this, the Bf109 got an audit which fixed problems with its handling. All systems ingame are meant to be TOTALLY realistic with real-world physics based on the statistics for each type of weapon, ammunition, or vehicle. They've added some new units to the game and are adding more on a regular basis. Soon to come are SPAA (self-propelled (truck or halftrack mounted) AA guns) and tank-buster aircraft. They've already added PPOs (player placed objects) to the game, which has turned it much more into a "zone of control" game. If you want to be successful attacking a town, you have to first establish your FMSs (forward mobile spawns) and get some defenses around them so the defenders don't just come blow them up. This is just the beginning. The Rats have a "dev roadmap" which even includes porting the game over to the Unreal 4 engine at some point. Still, if you're in it for the graphics, you're missing the point. The gameplay is the thing. For the same reason the graphics look dated, you can also play without having a top of the line gaming computer. You can have thousands of players fighting over a city at any given time. There's ONE map with no instances and no zones and everybody is on it at once. No other game in the world will give you that.

There are also NO microtransactions in the game. You can't "pay to win" by purchasing premium units, better engines, ammunition, gunnery skill, et cetera. That's why this is a subscription-based game. I see people who pay hundreds of dollars per year in other games, just to get all the best gear. This will cost you about the same as a trip to the movies with popcorn and a drink, for a month of 24/7 PvP action unlike any other game in the world. A brand new player can kill an old-time veteran just as easily as anyone else. At the very least, sign up and play the free trial. Hook up with a squad on Discord (voice comms) and learn the game. THEN judge it.

Former players, watch for "WBS" (Welcome Back Soldier) promotions, where old accounts are activated with Premium status for a length of time (usually a month) and all free to play accounts are upgraded for that time. We have day one players (who played when the game was first released) coming back frequently, loving what they're seeing, and resubbing to the game. The Rats are doing a LOT of things right, and the game is getting better, day by day.

Try it and make up your own minds.

-Irish

(p.s. I'm not paid by the Rats. I pay for my TWO subscriptions every month, because this is a game I enjoy and believe in.)

[Linked Image]
.........................................................................odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes.........................................................................
#4374929 - 08/17/17 11:34 AM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
You bring up some great points ODonovan concerning the monthly fee. The monthly fee was never an issue for me and it was definitely not the cause of me leaving the game. If there's an MMO that I'm playing frequently and enjoying a lot, I don't mind paying even 20 bucks per month. Heck, I spend more than that on fast food by a long shot in a month.

#4374995 - 08/17/17 05:10 PM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I had a subscription to the game for years and about once a year I go back and check it out again. The last time was only about 2 months ago. There were already player placable foxholes (turned up pits you could prone in.) when I played.

But like I said. It's basically exactly the same as when I left. None of the issues with the game have been addressed and all these new player fortifications just make it worse and escalate all the issues that drove off the largest part of their player base. Now they are making a game for those who stayed but the problem is those people dont like the same things as the people who left else the people who left wouldnt have left.

Its free to play though. Just make a new account and give it a try as a riflemen. I agree that is the best way anyone can tell if they will like the game or not.

But at the end of the day you wont get the old players back by catering to the ones who drove those players off to begin with. GLWT.

And just to put it into perspective I several founder members with lifetime subscriptions that no longer play the game anymore. Its not a money issue. It never really was but also there is no point in paying for a game that isnt fun anymore.

Last edited by Master; 08/17/17 05:12 PM.
#4375351 - 08/19/17 03:24 PM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Subsciption based games are a hard sell.

#4382197 - 09/30/17 02:29 AM Re: ATTN FPS / Tactical Simmers: World War II Online coming to STEAM! [Re: MaDeuce65]  
ODonovan Offline
ODonovan  Offline

Tampa, Florida, USA, North Ame...

WWIIOL is now out on the Steam game service!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/251950

Sign up now and get a free MONTH of Premium time rather than only two weeks as previously. Also, all former Premium accounts are eligible for a discounted renewal rate as long as the account is kept current with no lapse. They are also able to activate a free month of Premium time as part of the Welcome Back Soldier promotion.

Try it free for a month. Get on Discord and join with others playing. Use teamwork and learn the game.

Oh, and...GO ALLIED!

-Irish

[Linked Image]
.........................................................................odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes.........................................................................

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.