Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
#4375135 - 08/18/17 10:45 AM This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ?  
leaf_on_the_wind Offline
leaf_on_the_wind  Offline

With all the things that needs looked at (other plane models etc)........ this ?
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/newsletters/newsletter18082017.html

There is only so many times you can piss on my back and tell me it is raining

[Linked Image]

Ferengi Rule of acquisition #1 Once you have their money ... never give it back.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4375152 - 08/18/17 12:10 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I didn't know they had a newsletter - very practical.

#4375156 - 08/18/17 12:37 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
yeah, I have already asked several times through the wish forum for updated 3d models for what really matters (aka PLANES, helis, weapons) and what you really will look closely, but looks like trains are now more important...btw, those trains look insane, I wish the B-52 or the B1 look the same, but nope, they use LOMAC days models with 30 polys confused ...and its not like they havent had the time to update them...

Last edited by watermanpc; 08/18/17 12:38 PM.

i7 6700K/// Z170X-UD3 /// GB GTX 1070G1 /// 16Gb@2800 /// SSD + 1Tb Barracuda x2 (DCS here) /// NOX Hummer M750 /// HOTAS WartHog /// DIY IR Clip+Opentrack+PS3 EYE 60-120fps /// Win10 pro 64

#4375173 - 08/18/17 02:39 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Shame on you guys.... really? All you have to say is negative to ED. Did you not see the recent polls where new train models won over things like improved missile performance, increased FPS, dynamic campaign, and releasing stuff on time? Nobody cares about those.... but flying over Nevada and seeing these trains roll by? I tell you, it really, really adds to the immersion! I flew out the other day and saw this roll by.... totally random time of day too!! It really enhanced my flight experience over Nevada! And just think about it.... DCS Freight Train... you come into Nevada with a full load of military equipment and you know you have to get to the station on time because Red Flag is on and the Blue forces need their re-supply! Should be awesome in MP!!

You guys are also missing the point here... now we can have trains in Normandy, Black Sea, and all other coming maps. This was just a testing bed and it came out beautifully!

Another thing.... please don't think that any of the current projects got delayed due to work being done on these trains... those projects are delayed anyway so who cares about them? Plus the guys on 3D modelling were just sitting around getting paid to do nothing but ED can't fire them because they got families to feed and that's not how software development companies are run (you guys should really learn about the industry to understand how ED does things!) so ED wisely put them on this project. After this comes more exciting developments... fire hydrants and parking meters for Nevada, improved palm tree models, research is being done to see which is the most iconic hot dog stand and when the results come in, they'll be doing that as well, a whole line of commercial trucks, and the entire line of D&D dice!! Yay! We'll have so much 3D assets when 2.5 comes out!

I also love how they package Nevada with everything! I probably have about 6 copies of Nevada now which means it'll be super-detailed and awesome once I get to install them all... It runs really great on Win10 64-bit... I bought two copies of Win10 32-bit on sale and installed them both so now I have a 64-bit system. I wonder if my FPS and loading times will improve on Win10 128-bit? Has anyone tried this? I just may have enough extra hobby money next month and buy another copy of Win10 64-bit and install that and test for myself!

It doesn't have to be all negative, guys! Learn to see the positive in things! biggrin

- Ice
#4375176 - 08/18/17 02:50 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
This trains will came with the "new damage model"? smile

#4375177 - 08/18/17 02:53 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Of course! Realistic physics, load weights, and all that too! Like I said, this was a test bed and they'll be rolling out trains (pun intended!) for other maps soon!

- Ice
#4375180 - 08/18/17 03:12 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I'll buy the Trains 'Asset Pack' as long as it includes the Southern Pacific Diesel Shunter and the Nevada Platform 2 trainspotters as part of the deal.

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4375191 - 08/18/17 03:36 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Will that be the Modern Trains Asset Pack or the WWII Trains Asset Pack? The trainspotters bit is low priority and might not make the initial beta release but should come later alongside the Hobo DLC.

- Ice
#4375196 - 08/18/17 03:42 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
I'm happy with either, it's ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL that the Nevada Training Range has trains in it, especially just like real life they are high priority targets used regularly during the red flag exercises.

I'd also like to put forward an idea for the moth, flies and insects asset pack. I'd pay well over the odds for that.

#4375198 - 08/18/17 03:54 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: - Ice]  
watermanpc Offline
watermanpc  Offline

Spain
Originally Posted by - Ice
Shame on you guys.... really? All you have to say is negative to ED. Did you not see the recent polls where new train models won over things like improved missile performance, increased FPS, dynamic campaign, and releasing stuff on time? Nobody cares about those.... but flying over Nevada and seeing these trains roll by? I tell you, it really, really adds to the immersion! I flew out the other day and saw this roll by.... totally random time of day too!! It really enhanced my flight experience over Nevada! And just think about it.... DCS Freight Train... you come into Nevada with a full load of military equipment and you know you have to get to the station on time because Red Flag is on and the Blue forces need their re-supply! Should be awesome in MP!!

You guys are also missing the point here... now we can have trains in Normandy, Black Sea, and all other coming maps. This was just a testing bed and it came out beautifully!

Another thing.... please don't think that any of the current projects got delayed due to work being done on these trains... those projects are delayed anyway so who cares about them? Plus the guys on 3D modelling were just sitting around getting paid to do nothing but ED can't fire them because they got families to feed and that's not how software development companies are run (you guys should really learn about the industry to understand how ED does things!) so ED wisely put them on this project. After this comes more exciting developments... fire hydrants and parking meters for Nevada, improved palm tree models, research is being done to see which is the most iconic hot dog stand and when the results come in, they'll be doing that as well, a whole line of commercial trucks, and the entire line of D&D dice!! Yay! We'll have so much 3D assets when 2.5 comes out!

I also love how they package Nevada with everything! I probably have about 6 copies of Nevada now which means it'll be super-detailed and awesome once I get to install them all... It runs really great on Win10 64-bit... I bought two copies of Win10 32-bit on sale and installed them both so now I have a 64-bit system. I wonder if my FPS and loading times will improve on Win10 128-bit? Has anyone tried this? I just may have enough extra hobby money next month and buy another copy of Win10 64-bit and install that and test for myself!

It doesn't have to be all negative, guys! Learn to see the positive in things! biggrin

LoL!!!!!!!!!!! rofl rofl rofl ...thanks man!!, you made my day, cant stop laughing

i7 6700K/// Z170X-UD3 /// GB GTX 1070G1 /// 16Gb@2800 /// SSD + 1Tb Barracuda x2 (DCS here) /// NOX Hummer M750 /// HOTAS WartHog /// DIY IR Clip+Opentrack+PS3 EYE 60-120fps /// Win10 pro 64

#4375203 - 08/18/17 04:35 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Genbrien Offline
Stick to the plan man!
Genbrien  Offline
Stick to the plan man!

Quebec, Canada
I think you all missed the important/troubling part of it

These will also be useful for future DCS World maps based in the United States.

arent there A LOT of theater that should be made before more US maps?

XBL/PSN/others: genbrien
Mobo: Asus P8P67 deluxe Monitor: Samsung 23'' 1920*1080
CPU: i7 2600k@ 4.8Ghz Keyboard: Logitech G15
GPU:GTX 980 Strix Mouse: G700s
PSU: Corsair TX750w Gaming Devices: Saitek X55, TrackIr5
RAM: Mushkin 2x4gb ddr2 9-9-9-24 @1600mhz
Case: Cooler Master 690 SSD: Intel X25m 80gb
#4375205 - 08/18/17 04:39 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Genbrien]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by Genbrien

You're absolutely correct, however we're just caught up in the detail of the trains at the moment. We'll undoubtedly return to the various map locations once we've exhausted the asset pack possibilities. Given that ED are attempting to model a 'world' there are a hell of a lot of pointless asset packs they can produce before concentrating on any meaningful content like more maps, even if they are going to flesh out the myriad of ongoing wars above the United States. Perhaps they could release each new US map on a per state basis!

#4375216 - 08/18/17 05:24 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Genbrien]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Paradaz
I'd also like to put forward an idea for the moth, flies and insects asset pack. I'd pay well over the odds for that.

No, no, no, no, a thousand times no! DCS Bird Strike is much higher on the priority ladder and rightly so as it makes more impact on flight operations. I hear there's going to be a DCS American Bird Strike and a DCS European Bird Strike editions so the player can buy the appropriate module for the region in the world they want to fly in.

Originally Posted by watermanpc
LoL!!!!!!!!!!! rofl rofl rofl ...thanks man!!, you made my day, cant stop laughing

biggrin Glad you liked it! biggrin

Of course! ED is just saying that once these assets are done, then these assets are going to be useful for any maps covering that region of the world. It's like saying "Once the European locomotives are done, they will also be useful for future DCS World maps based in Europe." Stop being so negative, guys!! What I think everybody has missed is whether these trains will be getting the SFM, AFM, PFM, SSM or ASM?? Or whatever it's going to be called for ground vehicles... Things are looking up for Combined Arms!!

- Ice
#4375234 - 08/18/17 07:37 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
bkthunder Offline
bkthunder  Offline

You guys just don't get it, do you?

It's the Nevada TRAINing Range. Get it? We were missing the TRAIN part till now, and ED are surely not known for leaving things incomplete.
So that's it, Nevada is now out of beta.Enjoy.

#4375244 - 08/18/17 08:01 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: bkthunder]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by bkthunder
It's the Nevada TRAINing Range. Get it?

kneeldown

- Ice
#4375308 - 08/19/17 05:01 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Online smile
Flogger23m  Online Smile

US

I believe they're purchasing these models, so not a lot of time is likely being wasted on it. I recall reading numerous objects were being bought. One of the recent warships was a purchased model.

Now, you can still say why not buy a MIG-23 model? Maybe because there are few affordable MIG-23s, Su-17, ect. models to purchase out there? Or the level of detail and animation work isn't as plug and play as a train which doesn't require everything to be nearly exact, so buying might not save much time when it comes to many of the planes. Just speculating here.

#4375316 - 08/19/17 07:54 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: watermanpc]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by watermanpc

Agreed, never a dull moment when you post something Ice, even Paradaz with the insects....Oh I would pay exceptional money to make the combined arms DLC more realistic. Think about it, driving at night, bugs landing on the windshield, having to use the wipers to remove the bug guts so I can see what lies further up the terrain. Absolute genius idea. It's not a real combined arms simulator if I can see bugs flying towards my headlights smile

#4375364 - 08/19/17 04:24 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Winfield]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
I believe they're purchasing these models, so not a lot of time is likely being wasted on it. I recall reading numerous objects were being bought. One of the recent warships was a purchased model.

Now, you can still say why not buy a MIG-23 model? Maybe because there are few affordable MIG-23s, Su-17, ect. models to purchase out there? Or the level of detail and animation work isn't as plug and play as a train which doesn't require everything to be nearly exact, so buying might not save much time when it comes to many of the planes. Just speculating here.

Fair speculation, Flogger but that wasn't the point. There was no need for any work to be done in this area and whether or not it exists in the game brings very minimal effects, if any. ED says it was an "absent feature," but really, was there an outcry to have this implemented in the game?

Originally Posted by Winfield
Agreed, never a dull moment when you post something Ice, even Paradaz with the insects....Oh I would pay exceptional money to make the combined arms DLC more realistic. Think about it, driving at night, bugs landing on the windshield, having to use the wipers to remove the bug guts so I can see what lies further up the terrain. Absolute genius idea. It's not a real combined arms simulator if I can see bugs flying towards my headlights smile

My bad... I took the DCS Insects DLC in the context of aviation... I see how it can indeed increase immersion for the CA players of DCS. ED should really look into this and reward early backers with the Water Bucket and Rags DLC for free. Being able to keep your vehicle clean is an important aspect to the immersion of CA, not just the windscreen. smile

- Ice
#4376080 - 08/23/17 06:54 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Genbrien]  
AggressorBLUE Offline
Check out my
AggressorBLUE  Offline
Check out my

Jerz

For the retail/consumer market, yes. But for military contracts, I could see the USAF and NAVAIR wanting the US geos of their larger training and logistics hubs, so student pilots can get familiar with their location virtually before stepping into the cockpit.

Plus, the US has lots of open source geo data available; both X-plane and Aerofly 2 allow for (relatively) easy importing of this data to quickly (again, all things are relative) generate virtual maps. The technology isn't perfect, but if ED could get additional geos available quickly and efficiently (did I mention those terms are relative smile ) for cheap, why not? Real world combat pilots train in the US, so why not us?

Also, if the idea of a Red Dawn type scenario that sees you shooting down migs above the Statue of Liberty doesn't excite you, then we can't be friends.

My Rig:i5-3570k @ 4.2 GHZ W/ Corsair Hydro H110 Cooler / Asus Sabertooth Z77 Mobo / GTX 1070/ 16 Gigs DDR3 RAM / A Few SSDs, and a Bunch of HDDs / All held together by: Corsair C70 Case

Other Assets Deployed:
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog SN#22621/CH Throttle Quad/MFG Crosswind Pedals SN#0004 smile
TrackIR TIR 5 w/ TrackClip Pro biggrin
Simpit: Obutto R3VOLUTION

#4376085 - 08/23/17 07:52 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Genbrien]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

The US isn't my top choice for maps, though I admit NTTR is a much better map than I anticipated and I haven't even bothered to update it to get the latest airbases yet. In any case, I think a Bering Straight map would be very good. Lots of potential for a hypothetical US vs USSR scenario, or Cold War posturing. With all the water about, hopefully ED would take advantage of the ease of mapping a large area. They still haven't announced a map that would tax the FC3 fighters in terms of range, let alone provide an airbase where it makes sense for AWACS and the like to operate from.

As for the trains themselves, if they were easy to add I don't see any harm in them. I didn't expect to see them in a news update though.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.