Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13
#4393894 - 12/08/17 08:54 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
XIII Offline
XIII  Offline

hahahaha ahahahaha thanks for laugh biggrin

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4393897 - 12/08/17 09:07 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Chucky]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

Originally Posted by Chucky

Me? I don't get it. What use is it in a combat sim? If I want to fly GA I can load up X-Plane,FSW etc etc and have the pick of where in the world I want to fly.

Honestly I'm of the opposite opinion. Ideally I'd have all my combat and GA flying in one sim.

I actually know someone who might make this their main module. I introduced DCS to a few people, but the only one willing to stick with it wanted an aerobatics plane.

#4393899 - 12/08/17 09:21 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

That has to be a troll surely?

#4393900 - 12/08/17 09:25 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Speyer]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Originally Posted by Speyer

Doesn't appear to be:

Originally Posted by Dolphin887
Because the love for aviation extends outside strictly military aircraft bounds.

DCS is a simulation platform, a powerful one. We strongly believe it could be extended outside its initial military purpose. Together with Eagle Dynamics SA and The Fighter Collection we introduce one beautiful civilian airplane to this world, opening the door for new things to come.

We imagine future of DCS as a general world simulating platform where almost anything could be simulated. Our Christen Eagle II is a small step toward that future.

We know the Christen Eagle II will find its way into the hearts of many. What matters here is that we bring more choice to DCS, extending and enriching it, making it more accessible to the people within and outside the current community, attracting them to come to DCS and play, and educating them about the reach world of aviation.

Limitations are just imaginary.

We go beyond.

Thank you all so very much.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4393904 - 12/08/17 09:38 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: IceecI]  
kaboki Offline
kaboki  Offline

Originally Posted by IceecI
Originally Posted by Force10
3 hours ago...

Originally Posted by kaboki

but i have been around in Multiplayer since DCS a10c came out and personally i have atleast experienced that the multiplayer communety has grown a lot over the years. In earlier days it was almost impossible to find any active servers and you had to be around certain times a week to see people, nowdays i can jump in anytime and find people to play with. So too me atleast the multiplayer communety seems to thrive...

10 hours ago...

As we all know, player numbers online in DCS isnt exactly huge, and certain times of day most servers are dead,

confused

XD

Atleast its better now with dead servers only certain times of day where it a few years ago was dead servers pretty much all week except weekends..... does that clear your confusion?

And its doing pretty good for being a sim, i notice lower online activety in il BOX...

Last edited by kaboki; 12/08/17 09:41 PM.
#4393907 - 12/08/17 09:49 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Force10]  
Speyer Offline
Speyer  Offline

Originally Posted by Speyer

Doesn't appear to be:

Originally Posted by Dolphin887
Because the love for aviation extends outside strictly military aircraft bounds.

DCS is a simulation platform, a powerful one. We strongly believe it could be extended outside its initial military purpose. Together with Eagle Dynamics SA and The Fighter Collection we introduce one beautiful civilian airplane to this world, opening the door for new things to come.

We imagine future of DCS as a general world simulating platform where almost anything could be simulated. Our Christen Eagle II is a small step toward that future.

We know the Christen Eagle II will find its way into the hearts of many. What matters here is that we bring more choice to DCS, extending and enriching it, making it more accessible to the people within and outside the current community, attracting them to come to DCS and play, and educating them about the reach world of aviation.

We go beyond.

Thank you all so very much.

I think I'm done TBH. nope

Last edited by Speyer; 12/08/17 09:49 PM.
#4393924 - 12/08/17 11:14 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Force10]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by EjectEject

And what is the combat capability of this aircraft??

Interesting read on the comments on that video... smile And they're not really to the developer's favor.

I'm guessing this won't come with any sort of campaign. What could you possibly make?

If they could make a $1 profit from it, I'm sure they'll come up with something.

Originally Posted by Exorcet
Honestly I'm of the opposite opinion. Ideally I'd have all my combat and GA flying in one sim.
I actually know someone who might make this their main module. I introduced DCS to a few people, but the only one willing to stick with it wanted an aerobatics plane.

If you want GA, why in God's green Earth would you even look at DCS? What is the selection of GA aircraft? What is the selection of airports? Are there any GA traffic? Why hope for a future with ED when you can have what you want in the present with other sims?

As for your pal that wanted an aerobatics airplane, do you think he'd stick with DCS when FSX/P3D/XP11 exists?

Atleast its better now with dead servers only certain times of day where it a few years ago was dead servers pretty much all week except weekends..... does that clear your confusion?

I fail to see how server count has any bearing on anything. Would you rather have 100 servers with 5 people or 20 servers with 25 people? You also mentioned you don't like flying in certain servers anyway.... so again, I fail to see how this matters. I'd rather fly in 2-3 servers and have a good time than fly in 10 servers but make compromises in my fun.

And how many other civvie aircraft exists in the DCS environment?

Somebody please remove the imaginary limitations that are in place against DCS 2.5 and DCS Hornet. Tell the devs those are just imaginary. Thank you.

Imagine if this was released on FSX/P3D/XP11.... imagine how many hearts it would find its way into..... but no, let's release it for DCS!! Great idea!!

- Ice
#4393945 - 12/09/17 12:19 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: - Ice]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

Originally Posted by - Ice

If you want GA, why in God's green Earth would you even look at DCS? What is the selection of GA aircraft? What is the selection of airports? Are there any GA traffic? Why hope for a future with ED when you can have what you want in the present with other sims?

The primary reason why I want civil and military sims in the same package is convenience. I have XPlane 11 and FSX, but I fly DCS most often. A small annoyance is that the controls, options, and set up differ between the three Putting everything in one package solves this issue.

As for GA in DCS specifically, the aircraft is primarily what I want, and DCS accels at modeling aircraft. It's behind existing civil sims in a number of areas but it's very good for flight. Expanding the civil side of the sim also has to start somewhere.

As for your pal that wanted an aerobatics airplane, do you think he'd stick with DCS when FSX/P3D/XP11 exists?

Don't know. I demo'd DCS and X11, and suggested Aerofly; DCS is what ended up being played. It's probably because it had the best free demo. I'm the only remotely hardcore flight simmer that I know of personally, so we're talking about someone with a more casual aviation interest moving from car sims to flight.

#4393948 - 12/09/17 12:43 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Exorcet]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

The primary reason why I want civil and military sims in the same package is convenience. I have XPlane 11 and FSX, but I fly DCS most often. A small annoyance is that the controls, options, and set up differ between the three Putting everything in one package solves this issue.

What is the difference between clicking the XPlane 11 icon and clicking on the DCS icon in terms of convenience?
What is the difference between pulling on the yoke in XPlane 11 and pulling on the yoke in DCS in terms of convenience?
How many times do you set up your controls in civvie sims or in DCS that doing so in two or three different sims is inconvenient?

As for GA in DCS specifically, the aircraft is primarily what I want, and DCS accels at modeling aircraft. It's behind existing civil sims in a number of areas but it's very good for flight.

I fail to see the truth in this statement considering how XPlane calculates forces for flight.

I also fail to see how you can credit modelling in DCS when you have things like Carenado for civvie sims. While we can't say whether DCS is better or Carenado is better because they've not made a similar aircraft providing an apple-to-apple comparison, there is no denying DCS does good aircraft models and there is no denying Carenado does good aircraft models, so that kinda shuts down that argument....

Expanding the civil side of the sim also has to start somewhere.

Yeah, and to start a civvie section of DCS, we start out in dribs and drabs? Yay?

Don't know. I demo'd DCS and X11, and suggested Aerofly; DCS is what ended up being played. It's probably because it had the best free demo. I'm the only remotely hardcore flight simmer that I know of personally, so we're talking about someone with a more casual aviation interest moving from car sims to flight.

So you use your pal as an example.... but you don't even know if he stuck with DCS.... way to go proving your point!
Did you even get him to try FSX and XP11?

"Pick between A, B, or C"
"Um, C?"
"See guys? C is the best! My buddy picked it over A and B!!"

- Ice
#4393958 - 12/09/17 02:45 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
IceecI Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.
IceecI  Offline
1975-1997 R.I.P.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Give a man fish and he gets food, give a man a fishing rod and he asks for another one.
#4393979 - 12/09/17 05:41 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: - Ice]  
Exorcet Offline
Exorcet  Offline

Originally Posted by -Ice

What is the difference between clicking the XPlane 11 icon and clicking on the DCS icon in terms of convenience?
What is the difference between pulling on the yoke in XPlane 11 and pulling on the yoke in DCS in terms of convenience?

Not much, but it's some. It's why people wanted FC to be part of DCS World and for DCS WWII to be part of DCS World. I don't think many would argue that splitting aircraft into separate programs is beneficial.

How many times do you set up your controls in civvie sims or in DCS that doing so in two or three different sims is inconvenient?

Not too many, but it can be easy to mix up commands between sims, or one could just have a much more intuitive control scheme.

I fail to see the truth in this statement considering how XPlane calculates forces for flight.

Just because XPlane does physics well doesn't mean that DCS doesn't. XPlane and DCS probably don't differ very much in this respect anyway. DCS just uses precalculated values(although there is less info on what it does compared to XPlane) instead of using the geometry to calculate the flow. Given that Xplane is going to lose some accuracy since it's a simplification of the physics, the fact that it's actually making calculations off geometry doesn't necessarily make it the better sim. It does allow it to have the Plane Maker, which is a really neat feature.

I also fail to see how you can credit modelling in DCS when you have things like Carenado for civvie sims. While we can't say whether DCS is better or Carenado is better because they've not made a similar aircraft providing an apple-to-apple comparison, there is no denying DCS does good aircraft models and there is no denying Carenado does good aircraft models, so that kinda shuts down that argument....

This goes with what I said above. They're both good.

Yeah, and to start a civvie section of DCS, we start out in dribs and drabs? Yay?

I guess, but that's how most things start. You get less at first and more later. Seems fine to me. The rest of the DCS line up and XPlane aren't going anywhere while I wait.

So you use your pal as an example.... but you don't even know if he stuck with DCS.... way to go proving your point!

"Pick between A, B, or C"
"Um, C?"
"See guys? C is the best! My buddy picked it over A and B!!"

I think you misunderstand. Some random person picking C isn't going to indicate C being the best, I just happened to know someone who would probably like the module. It might even lead to increased interest in DCS.

Last edited by Exorcet; 12/09/17 05:41 AM.
#4393992 - 12/09/17 10:24 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
I never heard of this developer MAGNITUDE 3 LLC and why is it posting a video in that Leatherneck channel ?

#4393993 - 12/09/17 10:47 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
It's all to do with the Leatherneck split a while ago

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4393994 - 12/09/17 10:54 AM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Tom_Weiss Offline
Veteran
Tom_Weiss  Offline
Veteran

3rd Planet, Sun
Originally Posted by Paradaz
It's all to do with the Leatherneck split a while ago

the split from Beczl.

#4393998 - 12/09/17 12:29 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: - Ice]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...

Target drone?

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4394007 - 12/09/17 03:00 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Alicatt]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK

It can fly into flocks of seagulls

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4394010 - 12/09/17 03:24 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Paradaz]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Originally Posted by Paradaz

It can fly into flocks of seagulls

#4394016 - 12/09/17 04:02 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Exorcet]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Alicatt

Target drone?

LOL!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Not much, but it's some. It's why people wanted FC to be part of DCS World and for DCS WWII to be part of DCS World. I don't think many would argue that splitting aircraft into separate programs is beneficial.

I see the point in joining FC3 and WWII into DCS as all three are combat flight simulations. Why bring civvie ops into a combat flight simulation? What convenience would that bring especially considering FSX/P3D/XP11 exists?

Even if ED did decide to bring in civvie flight operartions, considering ED's development schedule, will it really be able to compete with P3D version 30 or XPlane 55?

Not too many, but it can be easy to mix up commands between sims, or one could just have a much more intuitive control scheme.

And for that, you want to reinvent the wheel? Also, have you seen XP11's controller setup page? Compare that to DCS?

Just because XPlane does physics well doesn't mean that DCS doesn't. XPlane and DCS probably don't differ very much in this respect anyway. DCS just uses precalculated values(although there is less info on what it does compared to XPlane) instead of using the geometry to calculate the flow. Given that Xplane is going to lose some accuracy since it's a simplification of the physics, the fact that it's actually making calculations off geometry doesn't necessarily make it the better sim. It does allow it to have the Plane Maker, which is a really neat feature.

XPlane goes off from the actual geometry of the aircraft. You could probably model a brick but give it precalculated values and it will fly in DCS. I don't see how that proves your point.

XPlane goes off from the actual shape of the flight surfaces, so the modelling is very important... and that's why you have Plane Maker. DCS goes off from the precalculated values so it is those pre-set numbers that are important..... where can you make a model in DCS? I don't see how that proves your point.

You were talking about models and I've just shown how models are actually more important in XP than in DCS.
You were talking about flight and I've just shown how XP can claim more realism than DCS.

This goes with what I said above. They're both good.

So why reinvent the wheel just so that you can click on one icon instead of having two icons to choose from on your desktop?

I guess, but that's how most things start. You get less at first and more later. Seems fine to me.

Show me a civvie sim that starts off with ONE aircraft...... and not even the basic or staple training aircraft but rather a complex aerobatic aircraft instead?

The rest of the DCS line up and XPlane aren't going anywhere while I wait.

Why wait when you can have both NOW? Also, some would argue that by the time you get what you want in DCS, you may be struggling with bad eyesight and arthritis at that point, plus having to pause the sim many times during a flight to go to the toilet smile

I think you misunderstand. Some random person picking C isn't going to indicate C being the best, I just happened to know someone who would probably like the module. It might even lead to increased interest in DCS.

You were making your point poorly.

So you were trying to make a case for DCS and CEII because you introduced DCS to a few people and the only bite you got wanted an aerobatics plane..... but you don't know if he'll stick with DCS, you didn't get him to play other sims to compare, and now the point is there MIGHT be someone who PROBABLY likes the module?

For all you know, you tried to introduce other people to DCS and they didn't play it because they were ALREADY involved in simulations that catered properly to civilian aviation, namely FSX/P3D/XP11..... so there is absolutely no case for DCS in this scenario.

- Ice
#4394027 - 12/09/17 04:35 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: leaf_on_the_wind]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
All right, don't laugh. But it did say something about it being a "gift" from ED. A gift is something that someone GIVES to you. You don't pay for it. What if (DON'T LAUGH!) this really is going to be a gift. What if it turns up free with the next patch? I'm serious. Could that be? This probably didn't take a whole lot of man hours to build. No weapons systems or complex avionics. Looks like a really nice little model. All right, I'm finished. Now you can laugh.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4394028 - 12/09/17 04:47 PM Re: This weeks DCS "News" ...... seriously ? [Re: Tom_Weiss]  
Art_J Offline
Art_J  Offline

Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Tom_Weiss
the split from Beczl

Nope, the one within the team which happened this year. Technically, there is no Leatherneck anymore, but M3 still uses the old website and yt channel name.

Page 11 of 13 1 2 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.