#4373591 - 08/10/17 12:17 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Banjoman
Have you guys ever noticed the fish bowl effect in my screenshot. I just noticed this and is there any way to remove it?

I experience that when I zoom in close. It may very well be related to the "external camera field of view settings" in the workshop. You might want to experiment with this setting.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4373594 - 08/10/17 12:21 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Albert Earl Godfrey

12 Apr 1917 @ 04h22 COP to Marieux airfield south of Doullens

C.O. Scott called the briefing to order and before identifying the nature of the days mssion, he announced that Godfrey had been awarded the DSO, In response to his actions of the 6th, 8th and the 9th of April. Cheers went up all round and then Scott brought matters back under control. Since the Arras offensive was well underway and the Canadians had taken Vimy ridge, he felt he could expend the efforts of “B” flight to complete a COP to Marieux where there had been recent reports of enemy Obs activity.

“B” flight was advised to expect winds of 8kn from the WNW with Heavy cloud cover winds and blizzard conditions at times. The mission proved to be a quiet affair and would have been quite enjoyable had it not been for the inclement weather. They were up for just over an hour and glad to return to base for some hot tea and breakfast. Godfrey now had 6 more Huns to his credit than Bishop, who was next on the list. Godfrey would soon take note of Bishops tendency to make more and more solo forays into enemy territory, and come back with claims. These lone wolf patrols were with the blessing of Major Alan Scott who had close association with friends of Bishop back in Blighty.
There was no denying though, that Bishop showed spunk and courage which was always welcome on a patrol.

Attached Files AEG_awards.JPGDSO 10Apr1917.JPG
Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 08/10/17 12:26 AM.

(System_Specs)

#4373661 - 08/10/17 01:09 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Nice stories Gents. Congratulations on the bling Robert.

Edgar Everheart
Auchel
8RNAS

We only had time to get some dry clothes and a light brunch before we were off on patrol again at 1145 hours. Rain and cloud again. Fortunately we busted into the sunshine at 5000'. We climbed to 10,000' by the time we made Loos and started our patrol of the lines from Loos to Lille. I spotted 3 machines to the east above us heading south and started our pursuit. Finally one of the machines broke off and attacked. He came in over me and when I banked around, my 3 flight mates were on him in an instant. As they were making short work of the Hun I went after the other 2 but they were too far away so came back and circled until my flight rejoined.

Approaching Lille I spotted a machine lower and headed west. Diving down it turned away so must be a Hun. It turned out to be a Roland. I had him on the ropes when bullets smacked my machine and I realized that we were low over an enemy airfield and I was not in a good position so I climbed out and let him go. No one up top so decided to head home.

Back at Auchel, Sears and Compston had both claimed one each and "A" flight had claimed 3 with no losses. It was a rowdy bunch at mess.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!
#4373690 - 08/10/17 03:48 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Mr. Wiggins: One hump would be too many.

#4373692 - 08/10/17 03:56 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Helmut von Hammer
Jasta 4, JG 1.
Marcke, Flamders.

Aug 10 1917.

Morning formation: The C.O. announced that we are in the battle of Ypres and My Sopwith was confirmed making be an Ace with 5 Confirmed. I then left with the ADJ in the Ash and Trash a/c to go over to Jasta 11 to fly back a spare a/c. ( they scraped my old one.) Got back in time for the afternoon patrol only to get wnd by Spads diving on us. Its back to the hospital till the 21st.

Attached Files CFS3 2017-08-09 18-16-13-41.jpgCFS3 2017-08-09 18-12-15-30.jpgCFS3 2017-08-10 08-29-07-07.jpgCFS3 2017-08-10 08-36-45-28.jpg
#4373701 - 08/10/17 04:26 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Carrick, nice addition of flying the old plane to get a new one for the squadron. I need to start including that mundane routine work in my stories.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4373710 - 08/10/17 04:58 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Carrick, nice addition of flying the old plane to get a new one for the squadron. I need to start including that mundane routine work in my stories.

+1 me too.

(System_Specs)

#4373730 - 08/10/17 06:23 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MFair]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Originally Posted by MFair
Nice stories Gents. Congratulations on the bling Robert. ...

+1 biggrin

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4373740 - 08/10/17 07:29 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MFair]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Nice stories Gents. Congratulations on the bling Robert.

Edgar Everheart
Auchel
8RNAS

We only had time to get some dry clothes and a light brunch before we were off on patrol again at 1145 hours. Rain and cloud again. Fortunately we busted into the sunshine at 5000'. We climbed to 10,000' by the time we made Loos and started our patrol of the lines from Loos to Lille. I spotted 3 machines to the east above us heading south and started our pursuit. Finally one of the machines broke off and attacked. He came in over me and when I banked around, my 3 flight mates were on him in an instant. As they were making short work of the Hun I went after the other 2 but they were too far away so came back and circled until my flight rejoined.

Approaching Lille I spotted a machine lower and headed west. Diving down it turned away so must be a Hun. It turned out to be a Roland. I had him on the ropes when bullets smacked my machine and I realized that we were low over an enemy airfield and I was not in a good position so I climbed out and let him go. No one up top so decided to head home.

Back at Auchel, Sears and Compston had both claimed one each and "A" flight had claimed 3 with no losses. It was a rowdy bunch at mess.

Thanks MFAIR Edgar must be thinking "always the bridesmaid, never the bride"!

(System_Specs)

#4373755 - 08/10/17 08:48 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

Robert, as long as Edgar can keep his butt alive the glory can go to whomever. But yes, it would be nice for them to let me have one every now and then!

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
#4373761 - 08/10/17 09:25 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Originally Posted by Fullofit
Originally Posted by Robert_Wiggins
Hi Folks;

I was somewhat surprised that none of the hunters out there made any response to Godfrey's last mission in which "Pope and Young" destroyed their crafts in landing. biggrin

I was expecting some nice quips!

Sorry Robert, totally missed that one, but as the song goes: e tutta la vita gira infinita senza un perchè copter

?? Grazzi compadre Avrò bisogno di un aiuto perché il mio italiano è molto povero

Robert, this is the chorus of the song the Young Pope and the hot Prime Minister of Greenland are listening to at her audience.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4373762 - 08/10/17 09:26 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: BuckeyeBob]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Fullofit, good news about Aldi. Perhaps we will soon read about a budding romance with one of the nurses?

Buckeye, you've inspired me. I'll have to come up with something.

#4373763 - 08/10/17 09:30 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Banjoman]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON

Either, my marksmanship is improving or I am extremely lucky, I hope it is the former, but I will take either.

Banjoman, I have experienced a few of those magic bullets as well recently in the Albatros. Maybe this is the secret why the Bloody April was so bloody?

#4373764 - 08/10/17 09:31 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: carrick58]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Originally Posted by carrick58
Helmut von Hammer
Its back to the hospital till the 21st.

Carrick, perhaps Aldi will meet Helmut at the hospital? winkngrin

#4373765 - 08/10/17 09:33 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: MFair]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Finally one of the machines broke off and attacked.

Sounds like me attacking the enemy and the rest of my flight just keep going and snickering.

#4373770 - 08/10/17 09:54 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

When my flight does that they dont even wave by by

#4373772 - 08/10/17 10:01 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
carrick58 Offline
Hotshot
carrick58  Offline
Hotshot

Helmut von Hammer
2nd field Hospital
Row 2 Bed 4
South Wing. Wimereux Medical

Just got a note from the ground crew, It says that they are painting my machine while I am struck here.

Attached Files Wimereux hospita ward.jpgCFS3 2017-08-10 14-50-26-17.jpg
Last edited by carrick58; 08/10/17 10:03 PM.
#4373785 - 08/10/17 11:21 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: Fullofit]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Originally Posted by Fullofit
Originally Posted by BuckeyeBob
Fullofit, good news about Aldi. Perhaps we will soon read about a budding romance with one of the nurses?

Buckeye, you've inspired me. I'll have to come up with something.

Hee, hee.
Toujours cherchez la femme, Fullofit. Toujours. yep

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4373801 - 08/11/17 12:57 AM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
Raine Offline
Raine  Offline

New Brunswick, Canada
Robert, congratulations on getting your DSO (as they say, it stands for "d**k shot off). Carrick, Edward will be bringing your boy a box of chocolates. I'm out for 7 days. I hate two seaters! Fullofit, I am a big fan. Keep the stories and photos coming. Banjoman, great to see you here all the time again! MFair, I miss Naval Eight and am jealous of your Tripes. I nearly sent my new pilot back there, but didn't think that was on.

Edward Rowntree got a bit too close to a two-seater gunner and will be out for a week.

War Journal of 2/Lieut Edward Rowntree. RFC
Part 2: 8 to 11 April 1917

I am now firmly ensconced in 23 Squadron. Let me describe this place. Our encampment straddles a country lane roughly halfway between Amiens and Albert. The fields are flat and open, beaten down by a thousand bad landings. 4 Squadron used to share the place with us, but moved out a month ago. There are several rows of hangars along the west edge of the field. Our huts are clustered in the southeast edge of the field, close by the lane. Only recently have the last of the men moved into huts. They passed much of last winter under canvas, which must have been miserable on this open plain. In the southwest corner of the field stands a large stone windmill surrounded by hedges. This was place to make landing in a fog more entertaining! A brigade of coolies has been preparing a second landing on the south side of the lane.

[Linked Image]
"In the southwest corner of the field stands a large stone windmill surrounded by hedges."

Just before I arrived here the Australians moved out of the surrounding area. The squadron was surrounded by them. The countryside about is a rabbit-warren of trenches and dugouts with barbed wire everywhere. They used the area for practising attacks, but now have quit rehearsals and departed for their opening performance.

The village of Baizeux is about a couple of hundred yards down the lane from the windmill, heading towards Amiens. It consists of low houses, each with its inevitable midden, interspersed with a few cloistered farm buildings. There is a school and plain and ugly brick church – Rome’s answer to a Methodist meeting house. There is a lovely chateau off the main road in the village, but it houses an Australian divisional headquarters. I took a walk there the other night with Tom Doran, but the cherrynobs [1] on duty suggested we sod off. We found a small café and bar in the town and apparently were a welcome relief from the Anzacs.

Our commander is a Major named Leighton. Major Hogg, to whom I was introduced on arrival, was apparently only filling in for him while he was on leave. Major Leighton’s former command was a BE2 squadron, so the business of scouts is still new to him. [2]
My flight commander is a particularly wonderful fellow, a Scot with an Irish name – Captain William Kennedy-Cochrane-Patrick. As his calling card reads “continued other card,” we generally call him simply Patrick when in the mess. He has shot down three Huns and is a wonderful pilot. He was employed as a test pilot at the depot in St-Omer for a while and later flew Sopwith two-seaters with 70 Squadron. [3]

[Linked Image]
"Our commander is a Major named Leighton."

I have already written about O’Grady. We call him OG. He is an entertaining fellow, quick with a song or story, and quicker yet to claim a round in the mess. Irish to the core, he is an engineer and worked in Canada for a while before the war. His father, I am told, is a writer of some note.[4]

We have been up two or three times a day due to the big push near Arras. At times like this the red tabs want every Hun balloon down and every Hun train stopped, so there is no shortage of interesting work. On 8 April I received a wonderful present: my very own single-seat Spad scout. It is a French machine and as such very similar to French cooking – it is elegant to look at but very heavy. It is fortunately a quick machine, so one can always dive out of a scrap as long as one doesn’t get caught at low speed. It forces an unusual style of fighting, centred on quick slashing attacks and a rush to gain distance and regain height after each pass.

I had my first scrap on 9 April during a line patrol near Arras. We spotted two Hunnish two-seaters and I picked my prey. It was a shock how quickly the enemy gunner reacted. He made several holes in my wings, but the Spad is well put together. After my third pass, the HA spun down out of control. I watched as it fell from 9000 feet to less than 1500 feet. Then I lost sight of the thing in the haze and smoke over the front lines. I filed a claim, but it remains unconfirmed.

Our first patrol of 10 April 1917 was an attack on a railway station behind the Vimy front (where all hell is reportedly being unleashed on the enemy). I made five low level strafing runs on the sheds and carriages and could see men and horses tumbling right and left. It is frightfully easy to become too focused in these games and fly into the ground. Twice I gave myself an awful start!

During the afternoon of the 10th we paid another visit to the rail station, which apparently is the gathering point for all new Huns coming to visit our part of France. This time we were interrupted by two black Albatros scouts. I was able to surprise one of them and eventually forced it to land. Because it seemed to land under control in a field on its own side of the lines my claim was recorded as merely a “driven down.”

[Linked Image]
"I was able to surprise one of them and eventually forced it to land."

We have suffered several losses since my arrival, and from what we hear we are not alone. A fellow named Bath killed himself landing in a tree the second day I was here. On the 9th, the day I claimed a two-seater, another new pilot named Morgan attacked a DFW and collided with it, destroying both machines. On 11 April we lost another new man, Lieut Acton, who had just returned from England. He had flown BE2s before and was new to scouts. And we nearly lost yours truly...

[Linked Image]
"...another new pilot named Morgan attacked a DFW and collided with it, destroying both machines."

At 6:45 am we took off and headed northwest, bound for the sky over the town of Douai. Douai is home to a number of Hunnish squadrons and is known as a fine place to party. Patrick led five of us: himself, OG, Acton, Tom Doran, and me. Over Douai he gave the signal for “hostile aircraft in sight” and turned west, diving hard. I followed, struggling to find the others. At times like this it is very easy to collide with one of your mates, and the Spad’s wings are closely spaced which makes forward visibility tricky. After a few seconds I saw two dark objects pass in front of a cloud with Patrick’s machine nearly on top of them. They were two observation machines, likely DFWs. I picked the one that Patrick had ignored and made a diving pass. I pulled the Spad up and about. It is a heavy thing and turns like a farm waggon. On my second attack I could see my bullets tearing into the wings and body of the HA. The Hun aircraft steamed ahead regardless. I circled back and came at it again from behind and below, firing all the while. As I got within a few yards I made the mistake of pulling up and to the right. The German gunner was made of stout stuff. He fired his machine gun and hit me immediately. A round struck my goggles and shattered them, tearing them off. I felt a sharp stab that seemed to penetrate my brain. When I put my glove to my face it came away bloody. I could not see from my right eye.

I turned away from the morning sun towards home, or so I hoped because the compass was spinning madly. Fortunately no other enemy were about and I crossed the lines in less than ten minutes, landing roughly at Etrun. I was immediately conveyed to an RFC Medical Officer who was on site. He reassuringly told me I had two metal splinters in my eye, but that it should heal quickly and my sight should not be affected. Less reassuringly, he said he’d take them out immediately but had nothing to give me for the pain except whiskey. I opted for the fullest possible dose while he hunted for a thing that looked like surgical pliers. After a second dose of medication, I felt much better. The splinters were removed and I was shipped off in a Crossley with an impressive wad of gauze over my eye and a bandage around my head. I shall enjoy myself by frightening the new chaps.

On my return I was ordered not to fly for a week pending an examination by the Wing medical officer next Wednesday. The RO read my report of the scrap and said he would note the DFW as driven down since by my description the HA was unlikely to have made it back to base. Not a confirmed victory, but at least an acknowledgement of effort.

The Major gets the papers first here and announced at dinner that the Americans are officially in the game now. We discussed at some length what it would mean. OG, over a “medicinal drop” as he termed it, opined that we should not see them for some time, but if they were sent to England we should lock up our wives and daughters.

We are also getting reports that the Canadians have secured Vimy Ridge, which is a big thing by all accounts. Another good push might see this war done for, we agreed.

Historical Notes:

[1] Military Police – so called because of their red cap covers.

[2] Maj John Burgh Talbot Leighton MC transferred to the RFC from the Scots Guards in 1915 and served with 2 and 14 Squadrons. He was killed in a flying accident in May 1917.

[3] Those of you who have read Cecil Lewis’s wonderful Sagittarius Rising will recall how Patrick assisted Lewis by showing him how to stunt properly and allowing him a great deal of free flying time while he was in the pilot pool at No 1 AD awaiting posting.

[4] Standish John O’Grady was an Irish barrister, writer, and journalist who championed Irish mythology, history, and culture while retaining strong Unionist views. He reputedly was an influence on W.B. Yeats.

Attached Files Windmill.pngCollision.pngDriven down.pngMajLeighton.jpg
#4373868 - 08/11/17 02:22 PM Re: DiD Centenary Challenge [Re: CatKnight]  
MFair Offline
MFair  Offline

If my count is correct that's three pilots out of service in the hospital! This is getting dangerous. Be careful gents!

Edgar Everheart
Auchel

Little, Sears and myself were roused out of bed at 4:30 and told to get to our machines. It seems some incoming Hun machines had been reported and we were to try and intercept them NW of Lens. Off we go and climb into the cold and cloud. Intercept my arse! We were more likely to collide with them in this soup. We patrolled for 30 min near Lens and I decided to head north and see if we could see something around Lille. The weather was a little better over Lille and we made a broad circle and decided to call it quits. Heading west I thought I saw something in the cloud ahead. All of a sudden there were 2 DFW's coming straight to us about 500' below. I dove and raked one from stem to stern, split S and came up underneath him for another go. I misjudged my speed and went above him. The observer opened up and I kicked hard rudder and threw the stick over to roll over behind him. On my second burst the observer slumped over the side. He was a sitting duck. Another two squirts and the plane started smoking and went into a slow downward spin. I followed him down until I was sure he was not playing opossum and pulled up thinking "here we are with a victory and no one around". When I looked around I was surprised to see Sears behind me. "Well surely he saw that one!"

Climbing up and west I noticed something did not look right with Sears machine. I slowed down to let him catch up. His middle starboard plane was broke off at the strut and from the strut to the fuselage was tattered canvas. Fortunately we did not encounter any hostile machines on the way back and Sears made a perfect landing with his damaged aircraft. Little had crash landed at another airfield but was OK. I filed my claim and went to get something to eat before the afternoon patrol.

Note: That was a WOFF moment Gents. I found myself worried for Sear's safety and was very anxious until we crossed the lines and then again at Auchel until I could see he landed safely. I love this Sim!

Page 134 of 227 1 2 132 133 134 135 136 226 227

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse