Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4372814 - 08/04/17 09:56 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Quite often these days I find that even after reading the forums for two or three hours I can't find a topic where I have anything to contribute.

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4381675 - 09/27/17 02:20 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
specialksl Offline
specialksl  Offline

Baltimore, MD USA
I still post here to get expert opinions from the "old" members. Where else could I go to? What other forums can I go to for flight sim stuff?

Main PC: ASUS P8Z77 - Intel I7 3770K OC to 4.4GHZ - Thermaltake Water2.0 Pro
GeForce GTX 970
16 Gig G.Skill Ares DDR3
Samsung EVO SSD 500GB
Plenty of storage
Windows 7 64bit
ASUS PB278Q @ 2560x1440

SIMPIT: ASUS Prime Z370-A, I7 8700K, H80i-V2 watercooler
ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 2080
Windows 10 64bit
32GB 2400 DDR4 memory
Thrustmaster Warthog - 2-TM MFDs
Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals,4 -FIPs, TPM, Radio, Multipanel, Switch Panel, Pro Flight Yoke
3 - 32" Samsung monitors-1920x1080, 22" Samsung monitor
#4381838 - 09/28/17 11:26 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: specialksl]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Originally Posted by specialksl
I still post here to get expert opinions from the "old" members. Where else could I go to? What other forums can I go to for flight sim stuff?

They're out there. For the most part I'm flying FSXSE and Prepar3D now. Too big a PITA to maintain and fly DCS, although I do own several aircraft as well v2.0 (still in beta).

Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4425509 - 06/11/18 03:24 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
LukeFF Offline
Veteran
LukeFF  Offline
Veteran

Redlands, California
Back in the day, with the weekend that just passed, we would have wall-to-wall coverage of E3 and the just-completed FlightSim Expo 2018. But, I guess people are more interested in talking about Fallout, weight loss, and stock tips.

This site ain't what it used to be at all.

#4425687 - 06/11/18 10:13 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Well, I have a suggestion... wave

The members could all agree (unless SimHQ wants to enforce it) that for a set amount of time (say...3 months?) that there'll be no OT, only discussions related to gaming and simming. Just see where it goes, it doesn't *have* to be a permanent condition. The site will either become more active (and I think some believe that it will) or less active, in which case the OT stuff can be allowed to continue.

Weird idea coming from me, I know. But I'd respect it (assuming I'd have the choice).

I want the credit if this idea takes off. smile

EDIT: Anything military should still be allowed, as most sims are military related.

Last edited by MarkG; 06/12/18 01:45 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4425735 - 06/12/18 10:44 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
"Community Hall" has always been a forum where discussion about any topic (except PWEC stuff) is allowed. Nothing has changed as far as that forum goes for the past 18 years or so.

Concerning the E3 coverage, Luke makes a very valid point and my only answer to that is that it's simply not a priority under the current website management. Online forums change over time and sometimes they change a lot. It's just the way it goes.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4426568 - 06/17/18 11:22 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: LukeFF]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
Originally Posted by LukeFF
Back in the day, with the weekend that just passed, we would have wall-to-wall coverage of E3 and the just-completed FlightSim Expo 2018. But, I guess people are more interested in talking about Fallout, weight loss, and stock tips.

This site ain't what it used to be at all.

Almost minute by minute. I miss those days... Hell, the front page hasn't changed in almost a year! (July 2017)

Last edited by 531 Ghost; 06/17/18 11:23 PM.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

#4431418 - 07/22/18 10:29 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
We have great ads though. winkngrin

I certainly need to know how to end my menstrual cramps forever! A real life saver

I actually shut of my ad-blocker for a few minutes to see what this wonderful ad-machine would serve up for me.

Even though my cramps are gone forever, I flipped ad-block back on.

Oh, and now OVER a year since the front page has changed. Think back to all the great free articles we were given. Not always super professional, but most always HONEST.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4433063 - 08/05/18 01:48 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Oh...and we had BABES!

Why is that so scary?

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4433536 - 08/08/18 04:10 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: Nixer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by Nixer
Oh...and we had BABES!

Why is that so scary?

Old guys aren't allowed babes, it's bad for the ticker. biggrin

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4433562 - 08/08/18 10:47 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: wheelsup_cavu]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by wheelsup_cavu
Oh...and we had BABES!

Why is that so scary?

Old guys aren't allowed babes, it's bad for the ticker. biggrin

Wheels

I've read the opposite! That in fact sex is very healthy for the heart. It's a good cardio workout!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4433618 - 08/08/18 05:52 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I've read the opposite! That in fact sex is very healthy for the heart. It's a good cardio workout!

I once wanted to post his/her heart-rate monitor results (no narrative whatsoever, just the numbers) and was told no. frown

Sex is VERY heart healthy, also confirmed by a cardiologist.

The sun is in the east
#4435435 - 08/23/18 01:46 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
RacerGT Offline
Admin
RacerGT  Offline
Admin

Miami, FL
I'm open for contributions for the home page/blog/articles, it's very easy to add articles and publish. I'm even open to compensating for them and I have asked a few times.

#4435469 - 08/23/18 05:11 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Could you pin something to the top of the forums stating that Racer? I'm thinking that perhaps not too many pop into this section.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4435739 - 08/25/18 09:56 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: RacerGT]  
531 Ghost Offline
USMC
531 Ghost  Offline
USMC
Veteran

Elizabeth City NC
I have contributed. When it was mandatory for moderators/admins. It doesn't seem to be the case, anymore.

#4455353 - 12/30/18 05:29 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Near necro.

SimHQ was thriving when i pulled in here in late 2001. Most of why it is like it is now has already been posted above. The Q moves a lot slower now compared to when i could spend hours flying with a bunch of members here and SimHQ open in the background to keep up. It does seem more old boys club now than then but more because a lot of the core is still here and no new blood has been injected. The silly fun vibe that a lot of forums had has mostly gone, people like Ming, Fearless Frog, Beach and others long gone all added a ton of much needed silliness and humour.

Guod was awesome and definitely kept the ship on a even and fast spirited keel, but you can't hang around forever. Of course it wasn't just Guod, it was a lot of members contributing to make SimHQ what it was. Pwec, meh, not a fan and i can see why people don't like it. You get a different look in at members and some of it is pretty bleh and can skew your view of what you thought they were like. Like Panzer said, you can avoid it but it does hang down there like a smelly old ball sack biggrin I do pop in there every now and again and overall, it really is fairly tame.

My main news/games/music/space etc site changed to reddit years ago.much more open and fresh and obviously tons more content. If you want real political craziness, that's the place! Easy to use, always pumping and thousands of niche subs. Very different from here though, much more youthful and vibrant, i know that isn't everyones favourite dish. Here is comfortable though and, what's the word, stable maybe. It's like having a mad busy day and then coming home and putting your feet up. Reddit is like opening your door and the world falls in, same as pwec, easy enough to close the door on what doesn't interest one.

It is sort of crazy though still seeing so many of the same people here after 17 years, we are all getting old together despite coming from different coubtries, backgrounds and beliefs. Overall i think it's a very cool and down to earth community and i'm glad i stumbled on it when i opened my EAW disc and it had a link to SimHQ.

Wish it wasn't so #%&*$# slow sometimes and the lack of front page is s bit disheartning.

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4458586 - 01/25/19 09:21 AM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I just discovered or rediscovered this forum. Perhaps I forgot it was here. I enjoy reading your posts though about the days when things were more active. I remember all those many and varied articles by BeachAV8tr. I miss seeing comments from 20mm and so forth. There's many folks who are spoken fondly of that I never "knew" but I've been here since 2005 and I feel that's its been a good online home for me. I post here more than I have ever done anywhere else ever. I detest Facebook and am close to divorcing it and would much rather communicate with people in a place like this. We don't always get along but that's why we have folks here with a hard job doing their best to keep the peace. My earliest PM message is a short interaction with USAFMTL where he emailed me an edited HUD .ini for one of the Thirdwire games. I have some other early ones with questions about FS2004. One of the coolest PM and SimHQ interactions I had was when a member named Kramer sent me, free a charge, a large box full of FS2004 addons such as commercial scenery packs, the major C-130 addon and the F-117 along with other games. I already owned it but there was a copy of Project IGI in there too. A really nice fellow who did and extremely nice thing. I've tried to do similar things over the years and its always and pleasure and joy to do so. In around 2009-10 I was finally able to buy a new PC after having been without one for some years. Some of the first games I bought were things that I had longingly watch come out during that time I had no gaming PC. Those included Silent Hunter 4 and Crysis and I bought those from fellow SimHQ friend PanzerMeyer.

I don't know if there is a way to find out, but I'm thinking there may be lots of PMs that have gone missing on me which makes me sad. I know you can only have apparently 10 pages and 100 PMs at a time but I'm quite certain I have had other conversations that I know longer see there. For example, I also have a delightful and fairly long PM exchange I believe with LukeFF about Akella's age of sail games and at the time, the upcoming City of Abandoned Ships game. I also miss my interactions with MaceUK. I'm still friended with him on Steam but I no longer know if its the same gentleman as I remember once Mace talking about selling his Steam account. In the past few years I was fortunate to have "met" and interacted with Murphy and quickly learned of the truly good man and gentleman he was. I miss seeing posts from folks like JediMaster. I'm still friended with him on Steam but I don't know Jedi like you Panzer but I enjoyed many of his responses. I did not know him well but I have a beautiful PM or forum post somewhere(I hope its still there)from PositiveG where he indeed made an encouraging post. I think this was way early on in my joining SimHQ and I was timid in asking questions, probably feeling silly and nervous that my questions weren't worthy of the kind of clientele I figured occupied this fascinating place. He just kindly said something to the effect of, "No worries Coot. There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers." I also have a lengthy PM conversation with Jeevz who helped me set up my Xbox 360 ethernet and Xbox Live Gamertag.

There's some really cool memories in there and all of them SimHQ related. I know its been a bumpy road at times but I sure have appreciated this place and most members over the years. Its been very helpful and entertaining. I do miss how busy it was at times but mainly because I don't want SimHQ to feel like a ghost town. But I also don't like seeing people act almost contemptuous over how slow its gotten. I've seen a few comments that just baffle me. Its not one person's fault so I don't see how people can be that angry and scornful for no good reason. I sure wish simming was still like or would return to the level of the 90s. Maybe it will someday but until then we can just do the best we can with what we have.

I've been wanting to do another Hidden and Dangerous 2 AAR and I was amazed to see that the first one I did was from almost a decade ago! I did not realize it had been that long. Speaking of AARs, what if an AAR would be chosen to headline the "Current News" heading at the top of the main page that could air every month or so so that there would be some noticeable activity? At the same time it might remind people to head in there and maybe even start participating.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4458599 - 01/25/19 01:52 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: 531 Ghost]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Great post Coot.

Look, people come and go with message boards all the time. It’s a completely normal thing.

What has concerned me is the failure of the site to attract any new members but I think that largely has to do with the simulation genre. It’s become much more of a niche genre over time. How many people do we know who are under 30 who play hardcore flight and naval sims?

#4458777 - 01/26/19 06:20 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Great post Coot.

Look, people come and go with message boards all the time. It’s a completely normal thing.

What has concerned me is the failure of the site to attract any new members but I think that largely has to do with the simulation genre. It’s become much more of a niche genre over time. How many people do we know who are under 30 who play hardcore flight and naval sims?

FWIW, at some point after RacerGT instituted an approval process for new members (to combat the spam attacks), I started handling most of that. We probably average somewhere between 1 and 2 new members added each calendar day. Now, how active they get with posting... I don't see a high amount of activity from them, but then I don't really watch for that, and there are a LOT of forums on here that I don't visit regularly.

The online world has changed a lot from the earlier days of SimHQ. The rise of Facebook, Steam, Reddit, YouTube, etc. has introduced a lot of other places to go. Change is inevitable. One value that SimHQ can provide is a forum where users can speak frankly about product lines in a way that vendors (understandably) usually do not allow upon their own forums. Seeing the discontent that exists for some product lines is not everybody's cup of tea, but it can serve the sim'ing community, and I believe it has.

It is entirely understandable that folks miss the articles from previous times. As RacerGT has indicated, he would be glad to host new articles if people want to write them.

#4458902 - 01/27/19 02:39 PM Re: There once was a time... [Re: Nixer]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Oh...and we had BABES!

I was thinking, we could always do a classy babes thread that wouldn't break the rules. Maybe include a fetish... biggrin

Attached Files ab6003b0f345445f9dd638d2dc720552.jpg

The sun is in the east
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.