Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4371599 - 07/29/17 04:15 PM Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/

They've also released some new photos of the new Caucasus map progress showing the foliage and some of the enhanced terrain features.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4371611 - 07/29/17 04:47 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
OOoooo!! Will watch this when I get back home.

- Ice
#4371616 - 07/29/17 05:08 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

It's pretty cool, but they still haven't mentioned the radar system. He said that will be coming in some follow up videos. Cockpit looks amazing though.

#4371656 - 07/29/17 11:45 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Wags really needs to work on his script.

"Since episode 1, we've been slugging away at the Hornet, with particular focus on the cockpit and the systems to allow a cold-start procedure..."
WTF? That's not been DONE yet prior to Ep1? This thing was supposed to have been in public Alpha (or Beta?) at the end of 2016 and it's past-halfway into 2017 and you're still "slugging away" for a cold-start????

2:12 - Oh look, he's talking about the IFF!! Hehehe... *wink! wink!*
2:25 - Why is he talking about ILS? Isn't ILS still shoddily implemented in DCS?
4:30 - Fuel dump switch... oh! the memories!! biggrin
9:05 - The Hornet does not have a Sim mode for the Master Arm? Interesting!
9:20 - "MDI"? So the MFDs are called different depending on the aircraft?
13:50 - So they have a couple of Hornet pilots for consultation? My, my, my.... I guess there's no reason NOT to have high expectations on the Hornet module, huh?

As with the Carrier Trap video, I'm baffled why they're releasing these videos now. They are useful, sure, if the Hornet module is actually out and we're learning it. They're literally useless now.... just because Wags talks about a particular switch doesn't mean it'll be implemented in the game. These videos also do nothing to answer the questions we have regarding the module itself. Why not just stop releasing these "teaser videos," go do some work that I'm sure needs to be done, and then just release the entire series alongside the actual module?

Originally Posted by *Striker*
It's pretty cool, but they still haven't mentioned the radar system. He said that will be coming in some follow up videos. Cockpit looks amazing though.

This is the bit that really confuses me. If you want to build up hype and get the ball rolling for your product, won't you address the biggest questions on everyone's mind? Show us how the radar works, show us a proper carrier landing, show us a takeoff procedure, show us the damn thing IN ACTION. The sooner you show us, the sooner we can all go crazy over this thing.... or NOT go crazy over this thing. Either way, you as the developer will know if you're going along the right path. Why, why, why leave these videos for a later date?

Cockpit looks amazing? It better be. That's just 3D work and textures and we're not buying the Hornet for the "amazing cockpit." This baby was released what? 2011? 2012? And the cockpit doesn't look too bad, so ED isn't really doing something exceptional for a product in development in 2017.

linky

I'll probably ogle at the cockpit and it's awesome textures for about 10 minutes.... then move on to doing something more useful. Like learning how not to slam into the back of an aircraft carrier! biggrin

- Ice
#4372008 - 07/31/17 11:08 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
So basically, they have yet to deliver on the AG radar, or AI of the carrier ATC. Forget who originally said it first, but I must agree that more and more DCS looks like a systems simulator and nothing remotely close to a world simulator. Certainly looks pretty though. Wish they'd fix SLI functionality for those of us running two nVidia cards. It's not much to ask as nVidia has all the documentation/specs ED needs to get it working.

BTW, I thought the F-18c was something ED was going to be doing themselves - when did an independent party [Belsimtek] get involved?

#4372011 - 07/31/17 11:31 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: cdelucia]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by cdelucia
So basically, they have yet to deliver on the AG radar, or AI of the carrier ATC.

In the first video and other statements it was said that they will integrate the systems into the jet over the next few months and then do videos accordingly. They've already said that the code is done but they were working on coding that makes all the switches work. But we should find out either through Wags or from the following videos.

Wags just released the video to Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gb1KmccK-3w

It's definitely the new Caucasus map but I haven't been able to identify the airfield yet. It looks a little like Krymsk though.

Originally Posted by cdelucia
BTW, I thought the F-18c was something ED was going to be doing themselves - when did an independent party [Belsimtek] get involved?

Unknown, maybe right after they put the Hornet on hold to finish the Normandy project. But Belsimtek is one of their main partners and has helped them other major projects. You probably already knew that though.

#4372019 - 08/01/17 12:14 AM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA

Unknown, maybe right after they put the Hornet on hold to finish the Normandy project.

I thought the Normandy/WWII project was being done by the RRG employees ED kept when they took over?

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4372029 - 08/01/17 12:58 AM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: Force10]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by Force10
I thought the Normandy/WWII project was being done by the RRG employees ED kept when they took over?

I thought from what I read that RRG completely fell apart with the Normandy map only partially done and when ED got what they had it was not usable so they had to start the new Normandy map from scratch. I don't know if any RRG employees were retained by ED. If you have information on that I'd be interested in reading it. My understanding is that a lot of money was paid but nothing delivered.

#4372031 - 08/01/17 01:00 AM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
cdelucia Offline
cdelucia  Offline

Pittsburgh, PA
Man, if they could just focus on one thing . . . they have plenty of talent, just headed in too many directions at once.They still haven't consolidated everything to 2.5 yet.

#4372056 - 08/01/17 06:09 AM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: - Ice]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by - Ice

9:20 - "MDI"? So the MFDs are called different depending on the aircraft?

Not sure if it was an F-15E pilot or not (may have been F-16/A-10 or F-15C, don't recall), but they either used MDI or some other acronym for "MFD". Took me a while to figure out they meant the "MFD". So I am going to say, yes, probably different terms for different aircraft.

#4372161 - 08/01/17 06:59 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
For the Superhornet:

The center MPCD is simply a full color MDI that is also slightly larger than a normal MDI. It’s otherwise identical to the left and right MDIs. The only MDI page that makes full use of its color is the HSI page.

The Up-Front Control (UFC) is located below the HUD in the center of the cockpit. The real UFC in the F/A-18E is
an active matrix liquid crystal display with an infrared touch screen used for operator input. In addition, the UFC
is used to display any MDI format. We simulate the touch screen in the game using the mouse, and we allow the
UFC to display MDI formats exactly like the real UFC. The UFC is also used to set the various auto pilot modes,
both in the game and in real life.
The UFC has four possible formats: the top level (default) Communications, Navigation, and IFF (CNI) format, the
Auto Pilot sub-page format, the TACAN sub-page format, and the MDI sub-page format.

Not sure about legacy Hornet but guess it just has the L and R MDIs and the MPCD but no LCD UFC...

mdwa
#4372174 - 08/01/17 08:16 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Not sure if it was an F-15E pilot or not (may have been F-16/A-10 or F-15C, don't recall), but they either used MDI or some other acronym for "MFD". Took me a while to figure out they meant the "MFD". So I am going to say, yes, probably different terms for different aircraft.

Hmmm... weird.

In the first video and other statements it was said that they will integrate the systems into the jet over the next few months and then do videos accordingly.

LOL, wut??

"The LG switch now operates the landing gear"
"Great, let's make a video of it!"

"The Master Arm switch now makes it possible to fire missiles and drop bombs"
"I'm working on the video now!"

duh

- Ice
#4372356 - 08/02/17 09:24 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
nadal Offline
nadal  Offline

it seems like we' re getting tri colored display(MDI) for all 3 MFDs.

Last edited by nadal; 08/02/17 09:27 PM.
#4372378 - 08/02/17 11:20 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: - Ice]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

LOL, wut??

Yeah, I worded that very poorly they've been vague so I understand why you'd get a laugh at it.

He hasn't specified anything about what systems, just said "when systems come online".
I'm hoping that the next videos give us some news on the A2G radar and or the ATFLIR.
But this is what they released a little over a year ago.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2728286&postcount=4

2:17 and 3:08

#4372415 - 08/03/17 09:26 AM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

I'm hoping that the next videos give us some news on the A2G radar and or the ATFLIR.

Oleg has already disclosed that ATFLIR will not be ready for early access, so it's probably still some way off.

#4372439 - 08/03/17 01:12 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

He hasn't specified anything about what systems, just said "when systems come online".

That's exactly what I don't understand.... given the development time of the Hornet, why aren't most systems already online? Why the need to make that statement? I can understand the challenge with the A/G radar as they've not done this before or done it to this level, but then shouldn't that be the FIRST THING they tackled when developing the Hornet? It is, after all, a key component in a multi-role fighter.

Well, Matt said the next video is pre-flight and startup of the Hornet.... so I'm guessing any weapons operations and A/G radar usage is way, way down the line.

But this is what they released a little over a year ago.
https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2728286&postcount=4

Super cool! So why not push this new feature up the hype train? It's not like the Hornet is a "strange aircraft" to its fans, it's not like people will buy the Hornet for the startup procedure.... but damn, I would say A/G radar integration would be one of the features people look forward to in the Hornet.

Not sure what point you're making here....

- Ice
#4372467 - 08/03/17 02:24 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: - Ice]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

That's exactly what I don't understand.... given the development time of the Hornet, why aren't most systems already online? Why the need to make that statement? I can understand the challenge with the A/G radar as they've not done this before or done it to this level, but then shouldn't that be the FIRST THING they tackled when developing the Hornet? It is, after all, a key component in a multi-role fighter.

Super cool! So why not push this new feature up the hype train? It's not like the Hornet is a "strange aircraft" to its fans, it's not like people will buy the Hornet for the startup procedure.... but damn, I would say A/G radar integration would be one of the features people look forward to in the Hornet.

There's having a working radar component in the sim and then there's getting that component integrated with the Hornet, with all the specific radar/display modes that the Hornet radar is capable of, etc. Oleg has said that the underlying thechnology is in the sim, but the integration with the Hornet is what remains to be done.

Last edited by Sobek; 08/03/17 02:35 PM.
#4372476 - 08/03/17 02:47 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, if the "underlying technology" was available a year ago, how long does it take to "integrate" it into the Hornet?

- Ice
#4372481 - 08/03/17 02:55 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: - Ice]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Not sure what point you're making here....

No point intended. Those are just time references to the video in case someone wants to skip to them where he makes the statements I referenced.

#4372482 - 08/03/17 02:55 PM Re: Second Hornet Familiarization Video Released [Re: *Striker*]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

That's a chicken-egg problem. You can't integrate the radar before you have something to integrate it to.

I think that a lot of the work they have done so far was stuff like research and working on the underlying technologies. I don't think that they have been at work on the actual Hornet module code for all these years. Rather they worked on fleshing out all the stuff that the sim needs to be able to do to encompass a module like the Hornet. Now they are putting the pieces together.

How long that takes, there's no way i could know that.

Last edited by Sobek; 08/03/17 03:00 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.