#4312948 - 11/17/16 07:12 PM Re: Valarian [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Arthonon Offline
Veteran
Arthonon  Offline
Veteran

California
Originally Posted By: PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted By: Jayhawk

Just look at the remastered version of TNG, which is "only" in HD: you can see where the makeup artists glued the masks to the actors's faces.

The remastered blurays for ST:TOS have revealed some funny goofs. The funniest one is from the episode "Catspaw" where you can clearly see the strings/cables that were used to move the alien puppets around. lol

They're definitely more noticeable now, but I actually remember seeing those strings in the original airing - not a high point for that production smile

Something I think is also more visible in the HD versions is when they were sweating on set, and when they miss focus, mostly in closeups.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4312989 - 11/17/16 09:53 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
They talked about those strings and that they could have erased them digitally but left them in deliberately.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4313278 - 11/18/16 06:19 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I watched the trailer again and I couldn't help but notice the Mass Effect-style outfits the two leads are wearing. Coincidence or just a popular suit design for scifi stuff?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4313292 - 11/18/16 07:16 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Jedi Master Offline
Entil'zha
Jedi Master  Offline
Entil'zha
Sierra Hotel

Space Coast, USA
Art departments aren't known for their ability to come up with much new in spacesuits. They've been doing them for 70 years.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter
#4313302 - 11/18/16 07:40 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA
Well, also inspired by the original comic's design.

This series has been around since 1967. It's art has always been impressive and you can find influences from it in all major Hollywood sci-fi productions from the 70's to the 90's, including The Fifth Element and Start Wars.

Last edited by Bib4Tuna; 11/18/16 07:42 PM.
#4370454 - 07/22/17 01:25 AM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

Welp...it happened.

This thing will bomb really baaad!

Just like Ghost in the Shell, the visuals are stunning. Best 3D effects in a long time. This was made with love.

And same as Ghost in the Shell might have killed adapting hard anime sci-fi for a while, this movie will kill the science fiction epics for years to come. Reminded me of watching Attack of the Clones after going in thinking it would be "so much better than Episode I !! frown

The difference is I still found GitS passable. Valerian is a badly written mess with unlikable bratty characters.

This year's Jupiter Ascending.

#4370463 - 07/22/17 03:49 AM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Not what I wanted to hear.
Gotta say, on second viewing of Ghost, I really liked it. I was just so-so after leaving the theater, but still got the urge to see it again.
Jupiter still sucks, even though I've seen it again trying to like it.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4370466 - 07/22/17 05:05 AM Re: Valarian [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna

And same as Ghost in the Shell might have killed adapting hard anime sci-fi for a while, this movie will kill the science fiction epics for years to come. Reminded me of watching Attack of the Clones after going in thinking it would be "so much better than Episode I !! frown

That's just silly. adapting animes to live-action have always been a niche market - you can count on one hand the number of movies.
On the other hand we have had a ton of sci-fi stinkers which haven't killed the genre.

#4370493 - 07/22/17 01:40 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

-It is niche now.

But there are so many good manga and anime hard sci-fi stories that could become really great live action movies if they were developed properly. But the box office failure of one of the flagship anime sci-fi franchises would give studios the distorted idea that people don't want to watch this.

Also, sci-fi in the last few years has really remained small scale, relying more on CGI and intimate localized stories (making studios and producers happy). Not many succesfull sci-fi movies with major battles or sprawling cities with interesting characters (maybe Rogue One being the exception - to certain limit). When that has happened, movies have lost focus and become visual demos. Valerian is a great concept to develop into an amazing series, but the issue I saw with story is that they wanted to drop you into the middle of a story very few in this side of the world know, and then bore you out of your senses in exposition so you can catch up. If at least the characters were engaging, that would still make a pass in my opinion.

I did no say failed revenues will kill sci-fi. But will make studios think twice before investing in anything on this scale.

#4370540 - 07/22/17 08:56 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
It's my understanding that Valerian was 100% funded with foreign money so if it does well at the global box office it will make a profit.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4370603 - 07/23/17 04:29 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway

-It is niche now.

But there are so many good manga and anime hard sci-fi stories that could become really great live action movies if they were developed properly. But the box office failure of one of the flagship anime sci-fi franchises would give studios the distorted idea that people don't want to watch this.

How many attempts of western big studio live action version of animes have there been?
Frankly only Ghost in the Shell come to mind.

Akira has been in development hell for a century soon. Same with Robotech.

#4370609 - 07/23/17 05:50 PM Re: Valerian [Re: Arthonon]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
A few coming up! Netflix is doing one that's supposed to be good.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4370674 - 07/24/17 04:25 AM Re: Valarian [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog

-It is niche now.

How many attempts of western big studio live action version of animes have there been?
Frankly only Ghost in the Shell come to mind.

Akira has been in development hell for a century soon. Same with Robotech.

Speed Racer ... driving

Beyblade

Dragonball Evolution

The Guyver

ok i'm done. my brain hurts, mostly because i have seen them. duh

#4370706 - 07/24/17 12:54 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
So the movie only made 17 million in its opening weekend in the US but the film was financed entirely outside the Hollywood studio system so as long as it does well internationally it will make money.

#4370732 - 07/24/17 04:22 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
LightHead Offline
LightHead  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Saw it last night with my significant other and best friend. We had a really good time and I think if you enjoyed Fifth Element you would enjoy this. Character writing has never really been Luc Besson's strong suit he does set pieces very well though and that is pretty much what this film is about. Stunning visuals and when you see it in 3D it really gives a depth to the scenery. Sure some of the characters are whiny (Ruby Rod anyone?) and maybe the more aged of the viewership may have a difficult time relating to them but apparently it is direct source material stuff so you can't really fault Besson for that. It's a good popcorn film and there are far far worse ways to spend your night out.

Ever forward!
#4370787 - 07/24/17 07:57 PM Re: Valarian [Re: Arthonon]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Ruby Rod was awesome though, and was full of personality and character quirks. Hell, most of the characters in Fifth Element had a certain charm to them, one way or another, and many were well written considering the pace of the film. These days, however, you don't see much of that, and instead plenty of movies are made hoping the viewers are dumb and overlook obvious faults or flaws. With Valerian, all I hear is excuses and apologies and suggestions to overlook this, that or whatever. Do I have to overlook anything in Fifth Element? Nope. The movie, like the heroine's namesake, is perfect.

#4370987 - 07/25/17 11:21 PM Re: Valerian [Re: Arthonon]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Spent ten bucks today on it, and I don't feel cheated. It has about as much depth as you can expect from a comic book series adaptation. As a film it works, and it easily beats all DC comic films in every aspect, except maybe Wonder Woman. It doesn't take the heroes too seriously, the villain has a decent motive and isn't just e-e-e-e-vul for the sake of sheer villainy, which is usually a big plus for me.

Frankly, I don't understand where the all hate's coming from. It's a visually rich universe, the kaboom factor isn't overdone. If you love 3D effects, I suppose it has enough roller coaster camera moves; I for one got to see it on a really big screen but in 2D, and as an avowed 3D hater I was glad I could do without those silly extra goggles. There's certainly enough action, and Rihanna doesn't bomb her scenes like so many non-film show biz types thrown into a big movie production.

All in all: One thumb up.

Last edited by Ssnake; 07/26/17 06:31 AM.
#4371012 - 07/26/17 03:27 AM Re: Valerian [Re: Ssnake]  
iron mike Offline
iron mike  Offline

Maryland, USA
It was a quick 2 hours of fun for me. The 3D version is interesting too. popcorn

Last edited by iron mike; 07/26/17 03:28 AM.
#4371647 - 07/29/17 10:57 PM Re: Valerian [Re: Arthonon]  
ADorante Offline
ADorante  Offline

So much HOTAS Warthog sticks in this movie - incredible! Or not: Thrustmaster Guillemot is as french as Luc Besson. Reminds me of of the Star Trek 9 movie when Riker commandeered the detached Enterprise hull section manually and used a Gravis Thunderbird 2 stick biggrin
On one Warthog stick you could even see the yellow arrow sticker pointing down being still attached.

In the comics Valerian develops into an lovable oaf with a can-do mentality, his obedience to terran authority exists from the beginning. In the movie I saw only the latter fleshed out. The complete comic Valerian characterization would have helped the film IMHO. But as a big fan of the Valerian comics I like it this movie also.

"It's people like you that give people like you a bad name!"
- Jessica Jones
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.