Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4371870 - 07/31/17 03:30 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

They do have a solution for the micro stuttering problem and it's worked for me in the past. I haven't tried it recently. You delete the entire "users>dcsworld" folder and run the repair tool. This rebuilds the users folder and apparently readjusts the optimization settings for your system. I don't know if it has any effect on VR setups at all. And I don't completely delete the folder. I make a backup of it first because I have customized LUA files, textures and other settings that I don't want to lose. So I do the repair and copy back the necessary files to get back my settings.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4371913 - 07/31/17 06:12 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by *Striker*
They do have a solution for the micro stuttering problem and it's worked for me in the past. I haven't tried it recently. You delete the entire "users>dcsworld" folder and run the repair tool. This rebuilds the users folder and apparently readjusts the optimization settings for your system. I don't know if it has any effect on VR setups at all. And I don't completely delete the folder. I make a backup of it first because I have customized LUA files, textures and other settings that I don't want to lose. So I do the repair and copy back the necessary files to get back my settings.

Will try this. Which folders do you copy back? Config, Missions, Screenshots and maybe Tracks are what I think is useful. Anything else?

#4371921 - 07/31/17 06:31 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Probably just need to remove the FXO and MetaShader folder contents.

Nate

#4371932 - 07/31/17 07:24 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

I get the impression that DCS performance is one of those knife-edge things. That extra GB of RAM or VRAM or the preload radius by 1000m might be the complete difference. On the good side of the fence it's smooth but on the bad side it isn't a little annoying but a lot. Users also tend to have very old installs with many patches and history which complicates the picture.

#4371965 - 07/31/17 09:13 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Philippines / North East UK
Originally Posted by damson
I know now why Wags hesitates before releasing some new material. It's just a teaser screenshot showing one small bit of the map and already here we are arguing over the same stuff.

Totally, TOTALLY missed the point there. It's not the teaser screenshot that's the issue, it's what the teaser screenshot means in the overall picture of ED and DCS.

Originally Posted by damson
But let's be honest how many sims are out there for us to enjoy?

Just because there's fewer sim devs doesn't mean they automatically get a pass for doing whatever, whenever, however.

Originally Posted by - Ice
People really need to grow up and be able to discuss and accept negativity and criticism if such statements are true. "Productive" is not all back-slapping and high-fiving... in fact, I would say that to get better, you **NEED** the negative more than you need the positive. You don't get better by knowing "what you did right."

It has nothing to do with growing up and be being able to handle it Ice. I mentioned this before. We're such a small community and we need to bring more people into the fold and not alienate them. The problem with all the intense rhetoric is that it drives potential mates away. It does nothing to foster any type of camaraderie at all. I also said before that you are totally entitled to your opinions regarding ED products. Everyone has opinions either for or against simulation stuff, we all know that. But disagreeing and being disagreeable are two different animals, and I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about anyone. Everyone knows that you and I have traded barbs but I'm trying to turn a new page and move on. I would just ask that we all try to keep that in mind going forward. That's all.

I'm sorry, but it totally does have EVERYTHING to do with growing up and being able to discuss things like adults. Want to bring more people into the fold? Sure. I'd wager you'd get more people in when the community is mature, open, and honest. The rhetoric is only intense because it has to be, because the delusion of some people is so strong that when backed into a corner, they question the other side's posting motivations or petition mods to shut down the other side.... instead of, I dunno, doing the adult thing like arguing with facts or admitting you're wrong when you've been shown to be wrong. Again, remember that we're not talking about "what's your favorite color" or "are red cars faster than blue cars".... we're talking about FACTS.... not opinions. I don't think I'd establish much camaraderie with someone who is delusional, who insists on giving ED credit today for what they'll achieve in 2030. Is your employer paying you TODAY for that project you'll finish ahead of time next year? Will you pay Toyota full price for a car that they'll deliver 5 years from now?

We are a small community, yes. People spitting out their dummys or not backing up their statements or even opinions or whining against valid criticism does not do the community any favors. Neither will turning a blind eye and agreeing with everything everyone else says.

- Ice
#4371981 - 07/31/17 09:54 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Flogger23m]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by Flogger23m
Will try this. Which folders do you copy back? Config, Missions, Screenshots and maybe Tracks are what I think is useful. Anything else?

Liveries, Textures if you have custom skins in there.
Mods, if you have anything installed like Tacview or you can just reinstall it.

#4371986 - 07/31/17 10:01 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: - Ice]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

The rhetoric is only intense because it has to be, because the delusion of some people is so strong that when backed into a corner, they question the other side's posting motivations or petition mods to shut down the other side.... instead of, I dunno, doing the adult thing like arguing with facts or admitting you're wrong when you've been shown to be wrong.

Confusing delusion with enthusiasm isn't fair. I think that we are all aware of the limitations of this particular simulation. I've been aware of the limitations of every sim I've owned and played. We're also aware of ED's past promises, broken promises and failures to launch. But overall, if you compare it to some others it's not as bad as some make it out to be. And constantly berating it isn't helpful either. That's not being honest, it's just being cynical.

#4371987 - 07/31/17 10:12 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Confusing delusion with enthusiasm isn't fair.

You don't really, REALLY think I'm fuzzy about the difference between delusion and enthusiasm, do you?

- Ice
#4371997 - 07/31/17 10:32 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

But overall, if you compare it to some others it's not as bad as some make it out to be.

Why do I have to compare ED to others? If EA is worse, does that mean ED gets a pass? Just because Ubisoft is crap, does that make ED any better? Are you happy that you paid $60 for a broken module because someone else paid $90 for a broken AAA title? mycomputer

- Ice
#4372005 - 07/31/17 11:03 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: - Ice]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

You don't really, REALLY think I'm fuzzy about the difference between delusion and enthusiasm, do you?

Well, you did say that some people that defend ED products or statements are delusional. That's not a fair assessment in my opinion. I'd like to get back onto the topic if possible. This back and forth exchange isn't helpful in my opinion.

#4372012 - 07/31/17 11:38 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
- Ice Offline
Veteran
- Ice  Offline
Veteran

Well, you did say that some people that defend ED products or statements are delusional.

So? What does that have to do with delusion vs. enthusiasm?

I'd like to get back onto the topic if possible. This back and forth exchange isn't helpful in my opinion.

It really, really isn't. Especially when you make statements without backup. You've accused me of confusing delusion and enthusiasm. In your last reply, you're trying to twist my statement into something that you can call unfair.... without even explaining what you "think" I'm saying or how exactly it's unfair. And you end with an opinion... again without explanation. Is this what you call discussion? Is this your idea of fostering camaraderie?

I don't appreciate you trying to put words in my mouth.... and then trying to run off by asking to get back on topic. Grow up, answer the points put in front of you, or don't participate in a discussion at all.

- Ice
#4372032 - 08/01/17 01:03 AM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

OK, so what point is it that you're trying to make exactly?

#4372051 - 08/01/17 05:12 AM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Sobek Offline
Professional scapegoat
Sobek  Offline
Professional scapegoat

Essentially that he's the guardian of ultimate truth and that you are a gullible chum if you're not constantly flaming ED.

#4372054 - 08/01/17 05:28 AM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Frederf Offline
Frederf  Offline

Compared to Sobek, Ice is the paragon of truth. I couldn't think of a sharper contrast than between Ice's respectable interest in objectivity and Sobek's rampant cronyism. Sobek's credibility account is empty and overdrawn. My wellspring of forgiveness and forgetfulness of his past words is no match for the rate at which he applies anew examples of the absolute emptiness of his conversational integrity.

#4372058 - 08/01/17 07:01 AM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Sobek]  
*Striker* Offline
*Striker*  Offline

Originally Posted by Sobek
Essentially that he's the guardian of ultimate truth and that you are a gullible chum if you're not constantly flaming ED.

I almost spit up my water! LOL

#4372059 - 08/01/17 07:36 AM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Force10 Offline
I'm just a
Force10  Offline
I'm just a

CA
Wait...has this conversation devolved into personal slinging? I'M SHOCKED!

Seriously...why do we have to go down this road constantly? More often than not...it seems one side has difficulty accepting criticism of their favorite game/developer and resorts to personal mudslinging. Not always...but most of the time.

If your only counter-point is to get personal...let it go. That goes for both sides of the debate.

Asus Z87 Sabertooth motherboard
Windows 7 64 bit Home edition
Intel I5 4670K @ 4.4 ghz
16 gig 1866mhz Corsair Vengence Pro memory
EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked 4gb Video Card
Intel 510 series 120gb SSD (boot drive)
Samsung 840 1TB SSD
Onboard Realtek sound

Oddball from Kelly's Heroes: "If we're late, it's cause we're dead"

#4372079 - 08/01/17 12:40 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Thanks Force for allowing us all the chance to dust off out warthogs and take in a breath of fresh air (taking off with the cockpit open)

That being said......Hopefully caucus will implement a bit better graphics where flying low and follow the leader over those new trees, the leaves may blow off and cloud our vision.

#4372082 - 08/01/17 12:42 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: Frederf]  
Nate Offline
Nate  Offline

Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Frederf
I get the impression that DCS performance is one of those knife-edge things. That extra GB of RAM or VRAM or the preload radius by 1000m might be the complete difference. On the good side of the fence it's smooth but on the bad side it isn't a little annoying but a lot. Users also tend to have very old installs with many patches and history which complicates the picture.

Funny enough, given your mention of VRAM, I decided to try medium textures in Normandy. A significant FPS jump for me 25 to 45-60), looks like VRAM is a chokepoint with the new Terrains for older GPUs

Nate

#4372091 - 08/01/17 01:51 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
What do you call 'older' GPUs Nate? I have a GTX970 with 4gb vram (although I think in actuality it can only use 3.5 of that). The last time I tried Nevada,which was a while ago now,probably 4-5 months even,it seemed ok with max graphics.

WW2 is more in my interest than the jets so Normandy would be of interest to me as long as it ran smoothly at max (or near max) settings with my current hardware (i5 6600/GTX970/8gb ram).

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4372095 - 08/01/17 02:02 PM Re: New Caucasus Map Batumi Comparison [Re: *Striker*]  
GrayGhost Offline
Hotshot
GrayGhost  Offline
Hotshot

I believe you'll want something with a minimum of 8GB VRAM, but 12GB would do much better.

--
44th VFW
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.