Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4362622 - 06/07/17 07:26 PM New total war historical game information  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Here's a link to the latest "what we are currently working on" announcement from Creative Assembly.

The first part deals with their fantasy game "Warhammer", but then they go on to update what their historical teams are working on. It appears that there are now 3 separate items. One of course is the next major historical title and the other two are to fill in the gap until the major title is released.

https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17/

Basically 1 and 2 are the gap filling releases and three is the major new title. Number two appears to be a more recent decision and will be a stand alone game.

1. A new content campaign DLC for a recent historical title to be released later this year. This would would almost have to be for Attila or Rome 2--more likely it would be Attila, but no mention of the exact subject matter. They do include a piece of concept art with a character who could either be a Celtic, Germanic, or Viking chieftain. The sword pommel certainly looks Viking.

2. A brand new stand alone expansion similar to Fall of the Samurai, which they are calling a "Flash-point" game that concentrates on a short time span in history. They mention that it is a period that they have visited before and that it's a favorite. This would probably hit next year, and I would have thought maybe a Viking invasion, but I can't imagine them doing this twice in a row unless that piece of art work for the DLC has nothing to do with Vikings.

3. Then comes the next major historical title--probably year after next, which they say covers an era they have never visited before. No clue as to the subject matter at all.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4362717 - 06/08/17 10:03 AM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
Very interesting...

#4362731 - 06/08/17 11:23 AM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Thanks for that info FO. I'll buy buying ALL of those historical titles and DLC's.

I have zero interest in the fantasy stuff like Warhammer but I'm very happy that it sold like crazy since that directly benefits Creative Assembly.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4363271 - 06/11/17 05:47 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Thanks for that info FO. I'll buy buying ALL of those historical titles and DLC's.

I have zero interest in the fantasy stuff like Warhammer but I'm very happy that it sold like crazy since that directly benefits Creative Assembly.

I'm of the same mind. It's hard to believe that I've been playing the same game franchise for 17 years now. I didn't buy the first Shogun at release, but found a new boxed copy in a bargain bin at an Electronics Boutique store in the local mall about 4 or 5 months later. I think it was $10 or less, so I took a chance. I've been hooked ever since.

Of course the developers have had their ups and downs, but they have still given me lots of gaming nirvana.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4370297 - 07/21/17 06:51 AM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Depending on how they define it, there are not a lot of options for "unvisited" eras. Western History has been pretty-well covered from Ancient Greece through 1815, and a majority of the major conflicts withing the Japanese empire were included in the two Shogun games. Assuming they do not go into the 20th century (which I think would be a mistake), you really have only mid-19th century, Ancient/Medieval China, or the Biblical-era Middle Eastern empires. The former would interest me most, but I am not sure how much enthusiasm any of those would generate in the American and European strategy game markets.

As for me, I very much prefer the gunpowder era Total War games over the ancient and medieval titles. My ideal would be either an ACW-focused game, or a revisit of the the 18th and 19th century, but with the better AI and 40-unit battles we saw in Shogun, Rome, and Attila.

Last edited by Nimits; 07/21/17 06:53 AM.
#4370317 - 07/21/17 11:31 AM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I would absolutely love either an Empire 2 or Napoleon 2 with the Attila graphics engine and full cooperative MP support. A big drawback of Empire and Napoleon for me was that there was no coop campaign mode.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4370356 - 07/21/17 02:52 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
DBond Online content
Strategerizer
DBond  Online Content
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I cut my TW teeth on Medieval 2, and loved it. For whatever reason I held off for a long time on getting in to gunpowder TWs. Not sure why really, but once I did I found I preferred it to the melee titles. Gunpowder era is perfectly suited to the TW engine. I can't say I care too much about which conflict the next game will feature, but I've found that assymetric/dissimilar forces make for interesting gameplay and battles. So the mid to late 19th century I see as sort of the sweet spot.

ACW, yes. World War I, sure, why not. I have to admit I am quite interested in how this would turn out. Submarines and tanks smile

Like PM, I would buy a new Napoleon or Empire era game.

I'd even go for a new Medieval 2. The TW formula works, and works quite well. However, I'd really like to see the devs devote time to rethinking the non-combat aspects of the series. I don't see it happening, as if it ain't broke don't fix it. As long as the formula sells, there is little compelling reason to innovate. Politics, economy, diplomacy, supply and communication, unrest,recruitment and more are all modeled in a very simplistic way. I would like to see those aspects given an overhaul, but not holding my breath.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4370413 - 07/21/17 08:15 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Logistics i.e. supply lines, is something that I would like to see in Total War. Rome II was a step in the right direction, with the way they handled attrition and replenishment, but I would really like to see actual supply lines modeled, especially if the series heads back into the gunpowder era. Granted, it would be problematic whether the AI could handle it, but it would definitely shift the series in a more historical direction.

#4371064 - 07/26/17 04:20 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
Dick Dastardly Offline
I Don't Care Bear
Dick Dastardly  Offline
I Don't Care Bear

Earth
New era? Anglo-Zanzibar war. Epic campaign consisting of 180 15-second turns. smile

Would have loved to see Empire 2, period offers a lot and the original got short changed a bit with some issues never truly ironed out

ACW could be interesting.

Suicide is man's way of telling god "You can't fire me, I quit!"
#4371067 - 07/26/17 04:34 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Dick Dastardly]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Dick Dastardly
New era? Anglo-Zanzibar war. Epic campaign consisting of 180 15-second turns. smile

Heh! How about Total War: The Pig War? I'm sure that will be a huge seller.

#4371084 - 07/26/17 06:45 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
XBL: LanceHawkins
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
I woiuldn't be surprised if a China/Asia scenario pops up.

China is an increasing market adn catering to them might be a sensible thing.
Also there are tons of time periods there which would be extremely intersting to play in.

#4371089 - 07/26/17 06:59 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: EAF331 MadDog]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by EAF331 MadDog
I woiuldn't be surprised if a China/Asia scenario pops up.

China is an increasing market adn catering to them might be a sensible thing.
Also there are tons of time periods there which would be extremely intersting to play in.

Agreed. I think a TW title covering the "Warring States Period" of Chinese history would do very well. I'd buy it for sure!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warring_States_period

#4371095 - 07/26/17 07:39 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
EAF331 MadDog Offline
EAF331 MadDog  Offline
Hotshot

Oslo, Norway
The "Three Kingdoms" period is also interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Kingdoms

#4372647 - 08/03/17 11:55 PM Re: New total war historical game information [Re: Forward Observer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
You may be right, and that would definitely track with the "new era" hint, but I hope not. Like with Shogun II (where I bought "Fall of the Samurai" for the 19th century/ACW-era tech, but skipped the base and the Rise of the Samurai), there would have to be some very compelling game play reasons, outside of its setting, to make me want to buy it. It is not an auto-"no buy" like the Warhammer stuff was, but I am not particularly interested/excited about ancient/medieval Asian history (or really, any era of ancient/medieval history that does not involve the Greeks, Romans, English, or French in a meaningful way).

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.