Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#4328712 - 01/15/17 04:36 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
Lipfert Offline
Lipfert  Offline

Ayr, Ontario
Thanks for these, really enjoy the series.

S!

JG1 Lipfert - Jagdgeschwader 1 "Fritz Schmenkel" "Oesau" "Richthofen"
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4329029 - 01/17/17 10:43 AM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Still going strong there Ikrananka! It's a pity you're not a flight-simmer at heart,I'd love to see you tackle something a little more modern,such as DCS or BoS/BoM. Your teaching style is easy to understand.

I did try to re-visit B-17 after coming across your series but alas I just couldn't get back into it.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4336594 - 02/12/17 03:30 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: Lipfert]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

Originally Posted By: Lipfert
Thanks for these, really enjoy the series.

S!

Thanks smile Just about to post my next video so hope you enjoy it too.

Last edited by ikrananka; 02/12/17 03:31 PM.
#4336596 - 02/12/17 03:35 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: Chucky]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

Originally Posted By: Chucky
Still going strong there Ikrananka! It's a pity you're not a flight-simmer at heart,I'd love to see you tackle something a little more modern,such as DCS or BoS/BoM. Your teaching style is easy to understand.

I did try to re-visit B-17 after coming across your series but alas I just couldn't get back into it.

I'm definitely still going but maybe not as strong as before. I must admit to feeling like I'm running out of steam. That said, I'm determined to finish what I started.

Having been playing around with the fighters in this game I must say that I have been very disappointed with the physics modelling with regard to handling and response. It just seems to be wonky, unrealistic and necessarily difficult as a consequence. However, I have started to become fascinated by the fighters themselves and so may well move on and explore them in more modern flight sims. But got to finish the B-17 series first......

#4336597 - 02/12/17 03:36 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

At long last I'm back!!!! Sorry for the long delay, it's been over a month since I published my last video.

The fifteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the second of six Fighter Schools, aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-47 Thunderbolt, affectionately known as the Mighty "Jug".

I feel I owe you a little explanation of the delay, which shouldn't happen again, in getting this video published.

It started off with me deciding to upgrade my PC which meant that I spent a lot of time doing research on the latest PC components, selecting those I wanted, buying, installing and testing them. I had to reinstall Windows and my many programs around five times before I finally got a stable system which took far too many days to do. At long last it all came together and I now have a much faster PC than I did before. This will hopefully mean that the issues I was getting of dropped frames and out of sync audio in my videos will be far less likely.

I then had a load of research on the P-47 to do as well as a lot of testing of this fighter in the game. I kept discovering issues and a few bugs in the game with the P-47 and also found that I was useless at landing it. While I finally managed to edit this video down from 1h 45m to 1h 17m, there were around 5 hours of other wasted footage due to errors and mistakes I kept making. As I only get an opportunity to record in peace and quiet an hour or two a day it took me nearly two weeks to finally get this video completed. I can now only hope that it meets your expectations and I very much hope that it is useful. Enjoy!!!

#4337901 - 02/16/17 02:12 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The sixteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #5: Fighter Sweep Over France. This mission places you in a P-47 Thunderbolt attacking a squadron of Bf109s and then a squadron of Me262s. Can you succeed - I know I can't?

#4341335 - 03/01/17 05:55 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The seventeenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the third of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the renowned Focke-Wulf Fw 190 German fighter.

Last edited by ikrananka; 03/01/17 05:55 PM.
#4342904 - 03/08/17 08:34 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The eighteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I focus on Quickstart Mission #6: Defense of the Reich. This mission places you in one of four Fw 190s defending against a squadron of P-51 Mustangs.

#4351420 - 04/16/17 12:46 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The nineteenth video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the fourth of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-51 Mustang, arguably the best fighter of WWII.

#4351595 - 04/17/17 01:34 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Thanks for the videos ikrananka, I'm enjoying them smile you mentioned something about mods, did you make that video yet?

I got this game the day it came out in the UK, I remember hugely enjoying the Amiga version of the first B-17 game. The new version didn't disappoint me. In fact I still have the original game installed on my current PC, I remember an issue about engine management with patch 2 so I patch only with the first patch. I don't remember the details, only the fact smile

The other game I have similar to this installed is Silent Hunter 3. I play it in german, because I really ike the movie Das Boot and it's a pretty good representation of it, especially when you crank the realism and disable the external views etc wink

The B-17 has always been my favourite aircraft.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4351622 - 04/17/17 03:26 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: DM]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

@DM

No, I haven't made the mods video yet. If you look in the description box under my latest video I have the latest playlist for the entire series. Mods are coming but right at the end.

I too played the original B-17 game but on the PC. The graphics on the PC were pretty awful and I could never seem to even takeoff, but I enjoyed trying.

Great - so you have the original retail version installed on your PC. Can you tell me if music plays when you're in the offices. I've heard this mentioned a few times but the Steam and GOG versions definitely don't have music playing there. With regard to engine management, unfortunately the Steam and GOG versions already include Patch 2 and I don't think there's a way to revert these versions back to Patch 1 only. Shame you don't remember the details but I have come to the conclusion that engine management in the game is far too buggy to be used. I only ever play the game now with the General Difficulty setting at Medium so that damage due to engine mismanagement is not modeled. There are too many examples of engines shutting down prematurely, or for no apparent reason, when engine management is active.

I'll have to check out Silent Hunter 3. I too love Das Boot, with German audio, although I prefer the mini-series which the movie was edited down from. It really is superb!!! Although I couldn't get to grips with the movie version with the English voice overs - it just didn't seem right.

#4351627 - 04/17/17 03:44 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by ikrananka
Although I couldn't get to grips with the movie version with the English voice overs - it just didn't seem right.

Hell no it didn't! Subs before dubs smile

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4351701 - 04/17/17 07:15 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
@DM

No, I haven't made the mods video yet. If you look in the description box under my latest video I have the latest playlist for the entire series. Mods are coming but right at the end.

I too played the original B-17 game but on the PC. The graphics on the PC were pretty awful and I could never seem to even takeoff, but I enjoyed trying.

Great - so you have the original retail version installed on your PC. Can you tell me if music plays when you're in the offices. I've heard this mentioned a few times but the Steam and GOG versions definitely don't have music playing there. With regard to engine management, unfortunately the Steam and GOG versions already include Patch 2 and I don't think there's a way to revert these versions back to Patch 1 only. Shame you don't remember the details but I have come to the conclusion that engine management in the game is far too buggy to be used. I only ever play the game now with the General Difficulty setting at Medium so that damage due to engine mismanagement is not modeled. There are too many examples of engines shutting down prematurely, or for no apparent reason, when engine management is active.

No music for me frown

I'll have to check out Silent Hunter 3. I too love Das Boot, with German audio, although I prefer the mini-series which the movie was edited down from. It really is superb!!! Although I couldn't get to grips with the movie version with the English voice overs - it just didn't seem right.

I think the version I have back home on DVD is the movie made from all the episodes, making it about the longest movie I own I think. Something like 5 or 6 hours.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4351704 - 04/17/17 07:28 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: DM]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

Originally Posted by DM
@DM

No music for me frown

Interesting - thanks for letting me know.

#4358039 - 05/18/17 01:20 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

Originally Posted by DM
@DM

Great - so you have the original retail version installed on your PC. Can you tell me if music plays when you're in the offices. I've heard this mentioned a few times but the Steam and GOG versions definitely don't have music playing there.

No music for me frown

Interesting - thanks for letting me know.

It has now been confirmed that if you have an original CD in your disc drive when you play the game then music does indeed play during the ground based parts of the game. I made a video of this that includes all of the music on the CD. You can check it our here.

#4358040 - 05/18/17 01:21 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The 20th video in this series is now live on YouTube. This video is the fifth of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the Me 262, nicknamed the Schwalbe or Swallow, the first ever operational jet fighter of WWII.

#4362444 - 06/06/17 07:52 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The 21st video in this series is now live on YouTube. The last of six Fighter Schools aimed at teaching you the basics of each fighter aircraft in the game. In this video I cover the P-38 Lightning, the oldest of the allied fighters in the game.

Now all of the fighter schools are complete, I will be getting back to the B-17 in my next video.

#4366994 - 06/30/17 08:09 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The 22nd video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I cover propeller pitch and other B-17 control modelling errors and issues that you need to be aware of when playing this game.

#4370281 - 07/20/17 11:52 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The 23rd video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I show you how to manually start the B-17s engines when starting a mission. Two different procedures are presented depending upon if you have the game's General Difficulty setting set to Low/Medium or if you have it set to High.

#4381574 - 09/26/17 11:37 PM Re: B-17 The Mighty 8th - Getting Started Tutorial Video Series - Now Available!!! [Re: ikrananka]  
ikrananka Offline
ikrananka  Offline

The 24th video in this series is now live on YouTube. In this video I cover B-17 Engine Management analysing the only official source of information on this feature as well as presenting a workaround to a major bug. There is no silver bullet to effective engine management. You must spend time learning how to manage engine temperatures under all circumstance and to practice, practice, practice!!!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.