Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4369617 - 07/17/17 01:54 PM Back from vacation in the UK  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Just home from a month in the UK. First two weeks were with a community choir touring England and Scotland. That was a great fun. Got to sing at St. Gile's in Edinburgh and at Whitby Cathedral in a joint concert with the the Dalesmen from Yorkshire

Then went to spend time with friends just NE of London near Chelmsford. While there I went to the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden and lucked into seeing two Hurricanes who had stopped there in transit to somewhere else. Was standing 15 ft away when they taxied out for takeoff. biggrin

While waiting fro them to go and old gent was wheeled out from the cafe area in his wheelchair. He watched the two pilots and ground crew doing pre-flight checks etc and said to the younger man who was wheeling him......" good job this lot don't have to get up in two minutes" I have no idea if he was a veteran or just an old gent out for the day...he seemed to take it all in with a critical eye though.

I have some video but it's 42 mb and its too big to attach frown

Last edited by No105_Archie; 07/17/17 01:55 PM. Reason: crappy spelling

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4369779 - 07/18/17 02:51 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Glad you enjoyed your trip to the 'old country' (am I right in thinking you are a Brit by birth? I may be confuddled)
Have you posted the footage anywhere to view?

Hope you wore your bets Goth costume for the Whitby gig! smile

#4369821 - 07/18/17 05:08 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

I was born and raised in Britain's oldest colony , Newfoundland ; but my ancestral roots on dad's side are Teignmouth Devon. No Goth/Dracula stuff in Whitby...juts a great gig with the Dalesmen smile

Would love to post the vid of the Hurris but its 45 megs and the limit here is 2 frown

I do have many friends in the UK though smile

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4369824 - 07/18/17 05:14 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Do you have a YouTube account Archie?

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4369826 - 07/18/17 05:16 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by No105_Archie
I was born and raised in Britain's oldest colony , Newfoundland

When did the English settle Newfoundland? It predates Roanoke, Virginia?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4369865 - 07/18/17 08:03 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

Sir Humphrey Gilbert took possession of Newfoundland in 1583, even though the place had been settled and was a thriving fishing port long before this. This was the beginning of the British Empire. The cod fishery was so profitable for the Bristol and Poole merchants that they persuaded the crown and parliament to make year round settlement illegal in Newfoundland. Even though this was widely ignored; St. John's was not considered a "legal" town even though in 1583 according to the records St John's was "a busy port are the town had two streets bars and brothels" smile

From Wikipedia:

Newfoundland

It was assumed that Gilbert would be appointed President of Munster after the dismissal of Ormond as lord lieutenant of the province in the spring of 1581. At this time Gilbert was member of parliament for Queenborough, Kent, but his attention was again drawn to North America, where he hoped to seize territory on behalf of the English crown.

The six-year exploration licence Gilbert had secured by letters patent from the crown in 1578 was on the point of expiring, when he succeeded in 1583 in raising significant sums from English Catholic investors. The investors were constrained by penal laws in their own country, and loath to go into exile in hostile parts of Europe; the prospect of American settlement appealed to them, especially as Gilbert was proposing to seize some nine million acres (36,000 km²) around the river Norumbega, to be parcelled out under his authority (although to be held ultimately by the Crown).

However, the Privy Council insisted that the investors pay recusancy fines before departing, and Catholic clergy and Spanish agents worked to dissuade them from interfering in America. Shorn of his Catholic financing, Gilbert set sail with a fleet of five vessels in June 1583. One of the vessels – Bark Raleigh, owned and commanded by Raleigh – turned back owing to lack of victuals. Gilbert's crews were made up of misfits, criminals and pirates, but in spite of the many problems caused by their lawlessness, the fleet reached Newfoundland.

On arriving at the port of St John's, Gilbert was blockaded by the fishing fleet under the organisation of the port admiral (an Englishman) on account of piracy committed against a Portuguese vessel in 1582 by one of Gilbert's commanders. Once this resistance was overcome, Gilbert waved his letters patent about and, in a formal ceremony, took possession of Newfoundland (including the lands 200 leagues to the north and south) for the English crown on 5 August 1583.[2] This involved the cutting of turf to symbolise the transfer of possession of the soil, according to the common law of England. The locals presented him with a dog, which he named Stella after the North Star. He claimed authority over the fish stations at St John's and levied tax on the fishermen from several countries who worked this rich sea near the Grand Banks of Newfoundland.

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4369866 - 07/18/17 08:06 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

Posted the Hurri vid to Facebook DOH.......here it is

https://www.facebook.com/barry.tucker.796

scroll down a ways...its there smile

Archie Smythe

carpe diem
#4369870 - 07/18/17 08:10 PM Re: Back from vacation in the UK [Re: No105_Archie]  
Jayhawk Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Jayhawk  Offline
Silastic Armorfiend
Hotshot

Docking Bay 94
Originally Posted by No105_Archie
Just home from a month in the UK. First two weeks were with a community choir touring England and Scotland. That was a great fun. Got to sing at St. Gile's in Edinburgh and at Whitby Cathedral in a joint concert with the the Dalesmen from Yorkshire

Then went to spend time with friends just NE of London near Chelmsford. While there I went to the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden and lucked into seeing two Hurricanes who had stopped there in transit to somewhere else. Was standing 15 ft away when they taxied out for takeoff. biggrin

While waiting fro them to go and old gent was wheeled out from the cafe area in his wheelchair. He watched the two pilots and ground crew doing pre-flight checks etc and said to the younger man who was wheeling him......" good job this lot don't have to get up in two minutes" I have no idea if he was a veteran or just an old gent out for the day...he seemed to take it all in with a critical eye though.

I have some video but it's 42 mb and its too big to attach frown

Pics or it didn't happen. smile

P.S. You could upload the video on YouTube and post a link. Just disable comments if you don't want your channel overrun by the inevitable troll zombies. smile

Last edited by Jayhawk; 07/18/17 08:12 PM.

Why men throw their lives away attacking an armed Witcher... I'll never know. Something wrong with my face?

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.