Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4365849 - 06/24/17 03:16 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
tascaso Offline
tascaso  Offline

Not even close...I will stay with the original and skip this.

<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
S!

Wilcke
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~>
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4369640 - 07/17/17 03:04 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

#4378050 - 09/06/17 10:40 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Just saw this...Oooohhhh

#4383938 - 10/09/17 01:15 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
453Raafspitty Offline
453Raafspitty  Offline

Australia,Sandstone Point
Saw it yesterday,blew my mind smile Plus leaves it open for a sequel.

#4385061 - 10/15/17 02:52 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Disappointed that Edward James Olmos only had about one minute of screen time but overall the movie was brilliant.

Did anyone notice the Pan Am holograph billboard? I thought that was pretty funny.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4385062 - 10/15/17 02:55 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Off topic but what happened to Jayhawk and Bib4tuna? Neither has visited SimHQ in over 2 months.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4385753 - 10/19/17 10:29 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Saw this last night, and I've had a few hours to digest it. I liked its vibe, but I have a couple of issues with it:
Deckard is now confirmed as a replicant. This removes the mystery of Blade Runner (orig). I feel they could have maintained that. Blade Runner is now no longer a mystery to be discussed.

It looks like it's turning into another Planet Of The Apes, replicants vs humans. This is not what Blade Runner is about, Blade Runner is about what it means to be human, and if you replicate a human so well that it's impossible to tell the difference, then IS there any difference? Now, it's just one group against another group.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4385754 - 10/19/17 10:37 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Those are some excellent points DM.

It's been my experience that sequels usually try to over-explain mysteries from the original film that should have been left unexplained and left up to the viewer to interpret.

A great example is 2001 and 2010. 2010 is a decent film but between explaining in great detail the reasons why HAL malfunctioned and Dave Bowman explaining to HAL and the crews of the Discovery and Leonov what was going on with Jupiter and the monliths, I felt that a lot of the wonderful mystery of the 2000-saga was lost.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 10/19/17 10:49 AM.

#4385757 - 10/19/17 11:42 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Those are some excellent points DM.

It's been my experience that sequels usually try to over-explain mysteries from the original film that should have been left unexplained and left up to the viewer to interpret.

A great example is 2001 and 2010. 2010 is a decent film but between explaining in great detail the reasons why HAL malfunctioned and Dave Bowman explaining to HAL and the crews of the Discovery and Leonov what was going on with Jupiter and the monliths, I felt that a lot of the wonderful mystery of the 2000-saga was lost.

Yeah you don't have to tell me about how newer films reduce the old films smile I have the same feeling about the newer Alien films. Basically I feel that these films took the alien out of Alien.

The fist movie Alien set up an alien that was literally alien - a spaceship that bore no resemblance to anything invented by humans, a bio-engineered monolith that was assymetrical and incomprehensible. The alien pilot you could not tell where it ended and the ship began. A really, really alien design.

But now - meh, big blue people invented it :/ and now a human engineered robot is commandeering the evolution. They made Alien human-centric, and thus destroyed its alienness.

IMO natch smile

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4385783 - 10/19/17 02:10 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
It hadn't occurred to me that's what was wrong with the Alien movies, but now that you say it, that's exactly what the problem is.
It's up there with sticking an American in some historical fiction in a foreign country to save the day. Why infect what would've worked and been more believable and interesting?

Did they say Deckard was a replicant and I missed it? I took it that reproducing was all part of how Rachael was different, that there could be hybrids, not just replicant reproduction like Wallace was interested in. That pairing with a human resulted in a compromised immune system, something that wouldn't matter to replicants, but for the human side could be fatal.

They definitely still question what life is, part of that just being that you believe you are. Gosling/K is fairly emotionless, never showing much sign of life until he believes himself to be the child and alive. Then he comes to life emotionally, seeming more human. When he finds out he isn't, he retreats again to replicant, although there may still be something more to him for future movies. I think they're saying life is a state of mind and self will.

Also, he cares for his AI, Joi, in a sense. The question becomes if she as a hologram could be a form of life...can code be exceeded, or was Joi's love for him and selflessness just part of her programming? She gives him the name Joe. Towards the end, she's gone. He comes across the huge nude holographic Joi advertisement that speaks to him. Calls him Joe. IMO, at that moment he sees Joi as having acted in line with her programming and had no life or real emotions. It no longer bothers him, she wasn't alive.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4385785 - 10/19/17 02:14 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
I think it's very cool to see how different franchises like BSG, Caprica, Blade Runner and Westworld all tie-in with each other with the philosophical questions they raise.

#4386326 - 10/23/17 07:08 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: JimK]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
They all circle around the question of what makes us human. Is it the biology - or being sentient, and able to communicate?
Then of course if you point out the different methods of procreation, they raise the bar by blurring the distinction even more - what, if they are virtually indistinguishable after the manufacturing process is complete, or what if they can procreate exactly like humans. It seems that pretty much all writers come to the same conclusion - that it is immoral to have sentient robot workers with a free will as slaves. Which, at the end of the day, boils down to the old question of just how awful slavery is (hint: very).

#4386341 - 10/23/17 10:42 AM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake
They all circle around the question of what makes us human. Is it the biology - or being sentient, and able to communicate?
Then of course if you point out the different methods of procreation, they raise the bar by blurring the distinction even more - what, if they are virtually indistinguishable after the manufacturing process is complete, or what if they can procreate exactly like humans. It seems that pretty much all writers come to the same conclusion - that it is immoral to have sentient robot workers with a free will as slaves. Which, at the end of the day, boils down to the old question of just how awful slavery is (hint: very).

A free will and self-awareness are key of course. Religious people will refer to it as a "soul". IMHO, once you have those two things you ARE human irrespective of how you were created.

#4386448 - 10/23/17 08:32 PM Re: New Blade Runner 2049 trailer released [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Ssnake

A free will and self-awareness are key of course. Religious people will refer to it as a "soul". IMHO, once you have those two things you ARE human irrespective of how you were created.

I added ´the "ability to communicate", because it is an often overlooked but absolutely crucial ingredient. A sentient robot unable to break its programmed routines to, say, clean your household or to weld steel parts will never raise an eyebrow with humans about being "suppressed" if it cannot express itself. People will simply develop a blind spot/overlook that there actually might be a problem under the surface. We are world leaders in ignoring unpleasant truths.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.