Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4358371 - 05/20/17 06:38 AM First Flight  
RAF28Jenks Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'
RAF28Jenks  Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'

Kentucky
Enjoyed a short 30 minutes in the air today for my first officially documented flight lesson.
Decided to get the old bucket out and finally do something in there I'd made a goal to do in my lifetime. In this case, get my private pilots license. Maybe when i'm 80 i'll have saved enough to glue some popsicle sticks together and get one of those high tensile rubber bands and I can have a airship all of my own. hahaha

Flew out of Middletown, Ohio in the well known 172. Weather was great scattered cloud cover at 3500 feet. We did most of our flying around 2500 which was really around 2k due to the fields height above sea level. I guess I picked up a few things all these years flying various simulators. . .
I found the primary flight controls! winner It was a proud moment, until my instructor started asking me how I liked my eggs or something, goin on about the yoke. I guess he didnt have breakfast..... readytoeat

Thank you for hanging in there, and now that the terrible jokes are concluded, I'm happy to say it felt really quite natural. Rudder pedals for steering on the ground was sloppy but nothing extreme. Just experience and feel which comes with time. I almost likened it to driving a car for the first time only this is some 18 year later and I wasn't too concerned...surprisingly. I recall being quite nervous in the car all those years back.

Once we took off with a slight cross wind, we climbed up to 500 feet so we were then high enough and out of the way for the takoff / landing strip we came right and familiarized with the controls again now that we were happily bouncing along ascending to our cruising lesson altitude. Once explained and demonstrated I duplicated the instructed input/correction. My Instructor did do the great favor of setting the trim wheel for me to adjust the airflow for the elevator to allow a more stable platform for me to make my way with. Very kid glove stuff obviously, 20° Bank left or right/ maintain, level aircraft , maintain. I suppose it sounds rather blase' but I was having a blast. Kept it all bottled up and professional of course but It was great. Landing I'd have to say was the intimidating part. Just watching. He said I could assist him a little, which I think in reality meant i could gently place my hand on the yoke, ha. But really he gave me quite a bit of freedom and command of the aircraft for a good portion of the lesson which was a confidence boost for me.

The only down side Is now i'm really sold on following through which creates all kinds of new challenges like Sharing real flying time with the wife and my WOFF time, and the costs obviously. However It's something I know I've wanted since i was 5 years old, so off we go chaps!

On a final note I'm glad that Hun didnt snipe me from above. I kept checking the 6 for that Fokker DVII that always gets me in WOFF but he left me alone today winkngrin

RAF28Jenks
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
RBWL 3 - 2002

#4358376 - 05/20/17 10:28 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
CatKnight Offline
CatKnight  Offline

Cleveland, OH, US
I hear the Hun flies out of Burke-Lakefront in Cleveland. Just stay clear of no man's land (Columbus) and you should be safe. driving

Really though, congrats! It's something I hope to do someday myself.

#4358377 - 05/20/17 10:36 AM Re: First Flight [Re: CatKnight]  
loftyc Offline
loftyc  Offline

well done, Jenks. I doubt if I will ever know the feel of rudder pedals, literally; Iv'e been up with a pilot/instructor brother and I couldn't reach the damn things! (at 5'2", I also had a limited view)

and the Hun is up in Ann Arbor, I'm pretty sure....

#4358397 - 05/20/17 01:32 PM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
Stache Offline
Stache  Offline

Michigan, USA
Congratulations Jenks, I got my private pilots license back in the late 70's but have not flown since. I still remember the first solo, we had done a few landings, out of the blue the Instructor got out and said okay you take it around. Heart was fluttering, but he had done his job well as obviously I survived the event. Most of time in 150's and 172's and a bit in a low wing Grumman. That's where I learned about scanning the view and instrument panel in sections, something that has stuck with me ever since. This day I live just a mile from the airfield where I received my training.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. A. Einstein

(System Specs:)

I7-6700k OC 4.4GHZ, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz; Gigabyte Gaming 7 MB, G1 OC'ed GTX980ti; Three-Acer XB271HU WQHD Gsync 144Mhz; Samsung 950-512GB NVMe SSD; WD 2TB-7200rpm; Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, Nepton 240M cooler, V1000 PS; Windows 10 PRO; VKB GunfighterPro Stick; Thrustmaster TPR Pedals; Saitek Throttle; Dual TM MFD panels; TrackIR 5; Windows 10 v1909
#4358407 - 05/20/17 02:19 PM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Great news! I am envious! Remember to check your six!

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4358590 - 05/21/17 07:46 PM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Ohhh, Jenks, thou hast awakened the green-eyed, green-skinned monster of envy within me! But indeed I am very glad for you! It's a wonderful feeling being up there. I am, though, simply flabbergasted at the cost,and at my age have pretty much concluded that someone else will have to do all the flying for me. Keep posting and I can live it vicariously.

I had to check where Middletown was, as my beloved, my son and I were biking the Towpath trail in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park just south of Cleveland on Saturday. But you, dear sir, were far to our WSW. my wife got to tick an item on her "bucket list", though. She saw a bald eagle in the wild. She'd hoped to see it fly, but the bugger just sat & sat on top of a dead tree for at least half an hour gawking around. Lazy bum! The nest was not too far away and he had young'un's to feed!

Godspeed in the air, good sir! Especially when it comes time to practice stalls & spin recovery!

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4359106 - 05/24/17 12:48 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
ARUP Offline
ARUP  Offline

Kentucky
Congrats! What fun! I have time in a Piper Cherokee 140 and a Candair RS700. It's fun!

#4368238 - 07/10/17 12:05 AM Re: First Flight [Re: ARUP]  
RAF28Jenks Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'
RAF28Jenks  Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'

Kentucky
It's all been 172 for me thus far. There is a very pretty 150 sitting in the hangar for sale, but I've yet to explain that we have to go into debt again smile.
It's fun having a look about with the high wing, I can almost pretend i'm in a Saulnier L, albeit nothing close too.

It is quite fun. I'm about 8 hours in now and have been landing myself for the last several weeks. That first Cross wind at 20knots was -quite- intriguing!. What a wonderful sensation it is. I believe my instructor is meaning to have me solo quite soon, couldn't be more exited. However I'm in no rush as my there is alot to keep track of in and out of the cockpit. Such a dream though!

RAF28Jenks
RBWL 3 - 2002

#4368240 - 07/10/17 12:30 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
Congrats RAF28Jenks! Fun stuff!

Regards,

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4368245 - 07/10/17 01:13 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by RAF28Jenks
It's all been 172 for me thus far. There is a very pretty 150 sitting in the hangar for sale, but I've yet to explain that we have to go into debt again smile.
It's fun having a look about with the high wing, I can almost pretend i'm in a Saulnier L, albeit nothing close too.

It is quite fun. I'm about 8 hours in now and have been landing myself for the last several weeks. That first Cross wind at 20knots was -quite- intriguing!. What a wonderful sensation it is. I believe my instructor is meaning to have me solo quite soon, couldn't be more exited. However I'm in no rush as my there is alot to keep track of in and out of the cockpit. Such a dream though!

Jenks, I envy your flying efforts! Good show mate!

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4368250 - 07/10/17 01:34 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
Banjoman Offline
Banjoman  Offline

Antigua, Guatemala
Congrats, I got to fly a Stearman one time and it was a little uncomfortable banking into that first turn. I kept thinking the plane was going to fall.

Member and provider of banjo music for the Illustrious BOC
#4368645 - 07/11/17 05:18 PM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
In AFROTC once, I had a buddy get to sit up front in an lumbering old KC-97. He already had his VFR pilot's license. So the pilot told him to turn to heading <whatever> and he wheeled that big thing over like it was a Cessna! Threw a couple of guys around who'd been out of their seats at the time!

Glad you're enjoying it, Jenks! I'm still as green as the Incredible Hulk, though! wink

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4370121 - 07/20/17 01:29 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
RAF28Jenks Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'
RAF28Jenks  Offline
Barmy Aviator Ordinaire'

Kentucky
The weather conditions and a small hesitation in response time led to an interesting moment today; started into my first spin, which surprise to myself I began correcting appropriately as I had read about and covered with my instructor (once in conversation), who seemed only moderately concerned as he plainly said " hard right rudder". Damn gyroscopic procession/left turning tenancies snuck up on me today during some practice stall work.

On the bright side, it was good fun and an invaluable lesson to step on that ball sooner than later. 9.5 hours now, just awaiting an endorsement / pre-solo ride-along with another instructor. In no rush, but I am quite excited, and curious as to when it will be, now that relatively I can put the plane through its general paces (Stalls, Steep Turns, emergency/standard landings, forward slips, turns about point, S turns, etc etc.) without fuss and landing albeit a game of minor error, quick correction. A few perfect ones have been had, but mostly its a game of watching for your mistakes seems, at least this early on.

Despite usually feeling 80% performance grade on my part, my CFI seems to be quite impressed, despite his witty, dry humor.

Its getting really fun!

RAF28Jenks
RBWL 3 - 2002

#4370132 - 07/20/17 02:54 AM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
stljeffbb Offline
stljeffbb  Offline

Wisconsin USA
+1 ...I can only imagine a real spin...I have flown for real only once on an introductory lesson. Keep it up!

Jeff

WOFF:UE Computer Specs and set-up:
Homebuilt Computer!
Intel i5-3570k mildly overclocked to 3.8ghz
AsRock Z75 mobo
Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB (EVGA one fan version)
16 GB RAM
42 inch Sharp Aquos LCD TV with 120hz refresh
Very old (over 20 years now) Aiwa Receiver/Amplifier
Very old giant stereo speakers with newer sub-woofer
Very old Logitech Wingman joystick with two buttons and a throttle slider
Very old CH Thurstmaster analog footpedals
Manhattan analog/USB converter
W10
#4371868 - 07/31/17 03:22 PM Re: First Flight [Re: RAF28Jenks]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Congratulations on getting to fly Jenks! Sounds like a fantastic adventure! I also can't imagine spinning in an aircraft. I did a "Discovery Flight" about five years ago. Instructor let me do (with assistance) the take off and landing. Flight simming is definitely useful for real flight work - he was impressed with my control inputs - nothing too twitchy or overzealous. We wound up aborting our first landing as our angle of approach was way too high. I fell in love with it but with grad school, one set of loans at a time was enough for me!

Cheers mate! Enjoy it and report back often!

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford