#4368836 - 07/12/17 03:58 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: saghen]  
Mr_Blastman Offline
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Offline
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by saghen
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Cliffs of Dover was no doubt a huge disappointment. I uninstalled it after about 7-8 hours of game time.

I would suggest reinstalling and toggle the teamfusion beta. The tf beta improves it a lot.

It does, but as much awesome work as they have done(a lot!), the AI leaves much to be desired.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4368842 - 07/12/17 04:50 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: rezerekted]  
Falstar Offline
Falstar  Offline

Edina, MN 55439
Originally Posted by rezerekted
Originally Posted by Pugio
Worst for PC was Outpost by the old Sierra house in the mid 1990s.

Back then Sierra had a 30 day exchange policy. I mailed back my Outpost to Sierra and had them exchange it for Aces of the Deep.

Bad game purchase for me recently was Miscreated. Was watching a twitch streamer play it and he said it was "totally worth it" so I bought it. It's just like DayZ and is pretty much a clone of DayZ.

Around here someplace is a video of two guys that used to work at Sierra in customer service, being pulled in on their weekends to be used in the cut screen videos and telling the history of it. They talked alot about the 30 day garrentee. If I remember right Outpost came out right after Sierra was sold to a conglonerate, so they didn't have any control over it and it got pushed out the door.

#4368843 - 07/12/17 05:00 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Many years ago, my brother found a PC game called "Blood Bowl". Near as i can recall, it was basically a board game of American Football or something vaguely like that, but instead of fit young men, the players were Orcs and Goblins and such.

I think.

This was back in the DOS days. When computers actually were quite pricey.

So after weeks of my brother's pleading, I went to install it...

and...

... after install, I rebooted to try out the game.... my brother in tense anticipation....

... and the computer wouldn't boot up. Wouldn't do bugger all.

That CD-ROM had an exe that wiped my hard drive clean. Couldn't even boot up the computer because there was no OS on it!

Brother was confused. And I was in disbelief and really pissed off!

Years later I can laugh about it, but I was quite pissed at the time!

The game didn't cost even a dime. Just all my data and installs!

Last edited by Rick.50cal; 07/12/17 05:01 PM.

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#4368845 - 07/12/17 05:10 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Rick.50cal]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Rick.50cal

Many years ago, my brother found a PC game called "Blood Bowl". Near as i can recall, it was basically a board game of American Football or something vaguely like that, but instead of fit young men, the players were Orcs and Goblins and such.

I think.

and...

... after install, I rebooted to try out the game.... my brother in tense anticipation....

That CD-ROM had an exe that wiped my hard drive clean. Couldn't even boot up the computer because there was no OS on it!

Where the heck did your brother find that CD? I hope it wasn't some street corner seller!

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4368849 - 07/12/17 05:18 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Rick.50cal]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

I think.

and...

That game is still around, and seems like it has good reviews too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58520/Blood_Bowl_Legendary_Edition/

#4368850 - 07/12/17 05:27 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Forward Observer]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Originally Posted by Forward Observer
Originally Posted by BD-123
Cliffs of Dover. With it's pedigree and hype, caused so much outrage when first released.
There was another Flight Sim that hijacked a reputable name, Jane's Fighter something; so awful my mind has blocked the trauma of remembering the title.

Maybe you are thinking of Jane's Attack Squadron. It went through several developers and publishers and took so long to get to market that it was in shambles by that time and dated looking to boot. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned a Jane's title. I gave it a go, but after 10 or 12 hours of buggy play with questionable flight physics, I gave up.

That was it! *Shudder*

#4368876 - 07/12/17 07:39 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
I bought this one and it was bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe_Commander

#4369206 - 07/14/17 04:28 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Rick.50cal Offline
Lifer
Rick.50cal  Offline
Lifer

Where the heck did your brother find that CD? I hope it wasn't some street corner seller!

Said he got it from a guy on his university campus... I think what happened is they put a drive-wiping virus on a blank CD and then did a water transfer of the "Blood Bowl" logo.... I don't believe this CD ever came from the factory where the proper game was being made.

Buuuuut... to me when I hear the words "worst game purchase" that one will never leave my mind!

POLITICS, WAR, ECONOMY, CONTROVERSY! and other heated discussions and debates in the PWEC sub-forum at the bottom of this forum main page. See you there!
#4369211 - 07/14/17 04:39 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
This may be a little off-topic but you mentioning the 'drive-wiping' virus,have you seen those flash drives that destroy the device they are plugged into? At worst the device is hosed,but usually the USB port(s) and rendered useless.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4369214 - 07/14/17 04:58 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Pugio Offline
Pugio  Offline

Deep in the Leng Plateau
Reading this thread, I note to myself that I haven't bought anything that I would call a really bad game in years. Some I may not have cared for but nothing actually terrible. I imagine there are more bad games now than back in the earlier days of gaming due to digital distribution practices--the continuous dump of games onto Steam being a prime example. But the easy availability of reviews/opinions currently available lets the customer be more informed now than ever before. Previously it was only gaming mags that did reviews and coverage and timing across the breadth of gaming was spotty--not so much now.

#4369217 - 07/14/17 05:12 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Bib4Tuna

I think.

and...

That game is still around, and seems like it has good reviews too.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58520/Blood_Bowl_Legendary_Edition/

I played the hockey version on Sega Genesis. It was hilarious. LOL
Very little to do with hockey.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4369220 - 07/14/17 05:19 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
When it comes to sports games it's exclusively auto racing for me (mostly Formula 1 and rally racing). I haven't played a NASCAR racing sim since 2005 when "NASCAR SimRacing" came out.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4369228 - 07/14/17 06:03 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: rezerekted]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by rezerekted
I bought this one and it was bad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luftwaffe_Commander

I got that in a 4 pack with some other sim games. It was like having bonus dvd content where the directory just screams at you until you shut the movie off.

#4369229 - 07/14/17 06:04 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

When it comes to sports games it's exclusively auto racing for me (mostly Formula 1 and rally racing). I haven't played a NASCAR racing sim since 2005 when "NASCAR SimRacing" came out.

iRacing has the best Nascar right now but its MP only. No idea why they stripped out the Nascar 2003 AI code frown I'd love to be able to race any track with AI and some friends instead of the dirtbags online.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Master; 07/14/17 06:05 PM.
#4369230 - 07/14/17 06:06 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Master]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Master

iRacing has the best Nascar right now but its MP only. No idea why they stripped out the Nascar 2003 AI code frown I'd love to be able to race any track with AI and some friends instead of the dirtbags online.

Yeah, MP with human opponents only and the a la carte pricing scheme made "iRacing" a DOA game for me.

#4369234 - 07/14/17 06:22 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

I hear you. I just want iRacing content with coop and AI without a monthly fee and without individual content fees. FFS why cant a game company make that game? Instead they try to make Nascar appeal to non sim fans by jazzing it up and making it crashy. Those people dont #%&*$# want a Nascar game... They will never buy a nascar game. Why are you trying to sell games to people who dont even play your game! Make it for the hardcore sim racers where there are hundreds of thousands of who would buy the game!

Why? WHY!!!!!

#4369238 - 07/14/17 06:49 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Bib4Tuna Offline
I will take you to Jabba
Bib4Tuna  Offline
I will take you to Jabba

NC, USA

They are marketing them as if they were mobile games. There is a NASCAR Heat game on Steam that is $30, and currently has $82 in DLC items. Mixed reviews too.

#4369242 - 07/14/17 06:57 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA

They are marketing them as if they were mobile games. There is a NASCAR Heat game on Steam that is $30, and currently has $82 in DLC items. Mixed reviews too.

Yup, I passed on Heat due to the bad reviews. Apparently it was way too much like a console game and too little like an actual PC simulator.

#4369247 - 07/14/17 07:17 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Bib4Tuna]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Its junk too. The physics are a joke, there is no proper control customization and the AI doesnt even recognize where the player is so they crash into you on the straight. But all dem console players obviously jumping at a chance to play nascar!

Last edited by Master; 07/14/17 07:17 PM.
#4369264 - 07/14/17 08:47 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've bought many, many budget games over the years. I can't even remember them all. One of the last one's I bought was Sniper: Art of Victory by City Interactive. Pretty terrible. I tried, really tried but I could not even past the first mission as towards the end it was bugged or had some slightly obscured enemy that could not be reached.

Not all of them are so bad though. City Interactive has gotten a little better and I stress the "little" with things like the Ghost Warrior series. They still aren't great but at least 1&2 are significantly better than Art of Victory.

Another budget game that I remember liking was "Deadly Dozen" and also the "Conflict" series.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.