Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4368489 - 07/10/17 09:51 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Interesting all the hate for Elite, though, I agree with some of it--especially the boredom. The game is a million miles across but a slip of paper deep. I got 500 hours or so out of it, due to me both buying it upon release and choosing to forgo the boring life of a trader or bounty hunter and jumped straight into robbing, err, ahem, taxing human players in my lowly Viper, and slowly worked my way up to a Clipper. Who says crime doesn't pay? It paid me! Haha!

But then the player pool in Open started to dry up, all the wimps and wusses went Solo or worse, Mobius(talk about sausage party) and alas, robberies were far more wait than rob.

500 hours wasn't bad, I can't complain, and had some of the most thrilling fun online ever while it lasted. But, without the people, and the risk they bring, the game doesn't have much left to give.

Last edited by Mr_Blastman; 07/10/17 09:51 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4368497 - 07/10/17 10:48 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Yeah, it's an odd one. It's beautifully realised, but beyond the rare moment of excitement before annihilation, the gameplay is like doing the end of year accounts.

#4368502 - 07/10/17 11:10 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Brun Offline
Brun  Offline

London Town
I often don't regret buying a game as much as I do investing hours of my time before coming to the conclusion that it's crap. In those terms No Man's Sky is the worst offender, without any doubt. I've never felt so mislead by the pre-release hype and let down so much by the result. A budget indie game dressed up as AAA.

I'm another one who got bored with Elite. Loved the setting and the flying, but the lack of depth in the gameplay made the grind intolerable after a while. The way new stuff - like the aliens I occasionally read about - are added every now and then feels very arbitrary, but I can understand why that's necessary from a development point of view.

GR Wildlands was bought in the recent sale and is the only game I've ever requested a refund for. That might not have turned out to be too bad, but initial impressions were that it wasn't worth my trouble finding out.

#4368508 - 07/10/17 11:31 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Never pre-ordered anything, no kick starter etc. Sucker Bet if you ask me....

Kinda PO'd about the direction Eve online took. They pretty much mismanaged at least half their customer base away.

Still skill training for free but down to only about 100B net worth. Haven't undocked a ship in months.

Might go full pirate whenever I have the time to play...dunno.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4368518 - 07/11/17 01:02 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
The only game I participated in early access was ARMA 3. I new there was no way I would ever not buy it.

#4368536 - 07/11/17 02:13 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Coot]  
Master Offline
meh
Master  Offline
meh
Veteran

Originally Posted by Coot
I bought an early access game a few years ago called Nether.

Holy crap, I forgot about Nether lol. I played it for a bit then just shelved it and never looked back. It wasnt bad but it wasnt good either.

#4368539 - 07/11/17 02:40 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
ODonovan Offline
ODonovan  Offline

Tampa, Florida, USA, North Ame...

Two "worsts" for me. Only one is a sim.

1) Tabula Rasa - I bought this JUST before the announcement the game would be closing. I was so disgusted I never even bothered to install it. I never even opened the box.
2) Mechwarrior Online - I bought a Founder's package, hoping they would deliver the game they promised. PGI "released" the game while it was still in beta testing. They started charging for ingame items, which was (and should ALWAYS be) unheard of. After a couple years, I got disgusted and left, never to return. Most of the features they promised STILL weren't in the game. I have less than one hour actual ingame time.

-Irish

[Linked Image]
.........................................................................odonovan1 on World War II Online - Formerly @Power Play on City of Heroes.........................................................................
#4368554 - 07/11/17 04:23 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

In terms of game itself - CFS3. After months of screwing with it trying to make it run even half decent I finally BURNED the discs - as in combustion.

But the actual worst was a DRM incident - F.E.A.R. Never even got to play it. I got flat out ripped off on that one.

It was around that time I finally learned (and not just with PC games, but with almost anything in life) to never buy "version 1.0" of anything, and never be an early adopter.

I was a "beta tester" for a LOT of things up until my mid thirties.

Now I wait. My time on this earth is running out, and I refuse to spend my precious time (and money!) on headaches. My money only goes where a great reputation has already been established by the people willing to go through what I used to go through.

#4368564 - 07/11/17 08:36 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
The two worst games that stand out for me were:

Battlecruiser 3000, at least it was free and even at that it was a price too high, never ever got the thing to run.

X-Rebirth (Stillbirth?) It's one redeeming feature was the nice music.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4368569 - 07/11/17 09:59 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Cliffs of Dover. With it's pedigree and hype, caused so much outrage when first released.
There was another Flight Sim that hijacked a reputable name, Jane's Fighter something; so awful my mind has blocked the trauma of remembering the title.

#4368571 - 07/11/17 10:03 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: BD-123]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by BD-123

There was another Flight Sim that hijacked a reputable name, Jane's Fighter something; so awful my mind has blocked the trauma of remembering the title.

Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters? I dodged that one luckily.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4368575 - 07/11/17 10:49 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Cliffs of Dover was no doubt a huge disappointment. I uninstalled it after about 7-8 hours of game time.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4368586 - 07/11/17 11:52 AM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Alicatt]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by Alicatt

Battlecruiser 3000, at least it was free and even at that it was a price too high, never ever got the thing to run.

Ugh,I think I paid around £25 for my copy. I don't understand why DS has a hate campaign against Star Citizen.I know I like to moan about Star Citizen a little,but when I look at what that gave me for my £55,even in its current state,it's head and shoulders above the POS DS delivered.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4368589 - 07/11/17 12:12 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
saghen Offline
saghen  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Cliffs of Dover was no doubt a huge disappointment. I uninstalled it after about 7-8 hours of game time.

I would suggest reinstalling and toggle the teamfusion beta. The tf beta improves it a lot.

#4368590 - 07/11/17 12:15 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: saghen]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by saghen

I would suggest reinstalling and toggle the teamfusion beta. The tf beta improves it a lot.

Isn't the teamfusion beta almost exclusively for head to head MP. I don't even think it adds the cooperative mode that the IL-2 series had.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 07/11/17 12:15 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4368600 - 07/11/17 01:13 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Chucky]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Chucky
Originally Posted by Alicatt

Ugh,I think I paid around £25 for my copy. I don't understand why DS has a hate campaign against Star Citizen.I know I like to moan about Star Citizen a little,but when I look at what that gave me for my £55,even in its current state,it's head and shoulders above the POS DS delivered.

I got my copy as a freebie with a Creative Video Blaster DVD drive and MPG video card, those I still have and they still work unlike the POS BC30k. I remember the hype around the BC game at the time and it was one of those it can do it all: Fly a spaceship; run and gun on the ground and fly around in between, great idea but sadly the product was not up to the hype.

SC does have it's own problems, but as you say, it is a better game now than BC ever was. I think DS' problem is that Chris Roberts is doing what he can not, SC is what DS wanted to make but didn't have the skill, his one talent is trolling.

smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4368651 - 07/11/17 05:38 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: BD-123]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
Originally Posted by BD-123
Cliffs of Dover. With it's pedigree and hype, caused so much outrage when first released.

Maybe you are thinking of Jane's Attack Squadron. It went through several developers and publishers and took so long to get to market that it was in shambles by that time and dated looking to boot. I had forgotten about it until you mentioned a Jane's title. I gave it a go, but after 10 or 12 hours of buggy play with questionable flight physics, I gave up.

CFS 3, already mentioned by Zamzow, was another horrible release--especially since version 1 and 2 were decent. It's amazing that modders were able to take the engine and turn it into OFF.

I also bought Battlecruiser 3000 and couldn't get it to run. This was back in the day with Electronics Boutique was still a business and would take returns on PC games for store credit. I took it back the day after I bought it.

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4368665 - 07/11/17 07:07 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: ]  
U-96 Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
U-96  Offline
%!#Stack Overflow#!%
Hotshot

Ah I forgot Jagdverband '44: Screaming Eagles. A friend gave me that and I never spoke to him again!

#4368667 - 07/11/17 07:20 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: U-96]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by U-96
Ah I forgot Jagdverband '44: Screaming Eagles. A friend gave me that and I never spoke to him again!

haha priceless.
We have a winner!

#4368827 - 07/12/17 03:06 PM Re: Worst game purchase? [Re: Pugio]  
rezerekted Offline
rezerekted  Offline

Canada
Originally Posted by Pugio
Worst for PC was Outpost by the old Sierra house in the mid 1990s.

Back then Sierra had a 30 day exchange policy. I mailed back my Outpost to Sierra and had them exchange it for Aces of the Deep.

Bad game purchase for me recently was Miscreated. Was watching a twitch streamer play it and he said it was "totally worth it" so I bought it. It's just like DayZ and is pretty much a clone of DayZ.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.