Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4407307 - 02/25/18 12:23 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
I am not sure what Roy wants wink
Is it the actual versions of the eaw.exes, or the details?

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4407355 - 02/25/18 04:00 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I belive he's asking for just a list (description) of the exe's you back patched. Like when you find stuff wrong and it traces back to an old version.

Then he asks for the actual exes. But wouldn't they be useless without the standalone game data for those versions.

Maybe he can clear it up what he meant.

#4407693 - 02/27/18 12:48 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

I though MrJelly had released a series of re-issue 1.2 ~ 1.29 ish? .exes that had some basic bug patches applied.

But nevermind that, let me get to the point of what / why;

After thinking about it,
I'd like just to have some basic best patched versions available for download for anyone.

1.2 or earlier really is irrelevant now frankly.

I like to clarify that really for backwards compatibilty with older scenarios, users should be able to replace 1.2 entirely with:

• ------------------- uses 800 x 600 menu screens -------------------
    which I believe is that last fully 1.2 backward compatible exe version

or
  • 1.28b
    (Although as noted in my EAW1.28C-b-a-Editing.html - changes were added starting with 1.28a to data files that affect compatibility with 1.2 era scenarios files - see below)
    EAW1.28C-b-a-Editing.zip - download

or most preferably
  • 1.28c

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------below uses 1024 x 768 menu screens ------------------
  • 1.28c + 1024 (@ = 1.28d )
    1024 x 768 menu screens added
  • 1.28d

and then finally
  • 1.28E - which is more or less the definative best .exe to use for EAW of the previous era
    but of course older campaigns / scenarios / add-ons have to be converted to be used with 1.28E

(just as MrJelly did make many converted campaigns for this in his 1.28E SU series files)

Arguably, unless you wish to use VonBeerhofen's FXexe / EAWPro based

or Later Code Group developments 1.28f, 1.29, 1.3, 1.4 - 1.6 etc.

a main bug with 1.28 ~ 1.28E however is:

The main thing is the 1.28E and earlier that use the extanded tileset (64 tiles)
all suffer the bugs of tile objects not available on rotated tiles
(aka @ 'rotational mask' not set or whatever)

And also the 'ai no fly below 80m' or whatever

as well as torpedoe and other loadout issues (which frankly if patched would cause problem with having to convert now all kinds of old skins, loadouts etc. if implemented in a new patch for 1.28E, I think)

and any number of possible other bugs found during 1.28f, 1.29, 1.30 ish developments

The main point being:
  • having a patched 1.2 compatible replacement .exe for 800 x 600 screens to recommend to anyone as standard

This IMHO would mean a new .exe patched that would for instance remove all the noted below changes to the standard data model - the carrier, runways.dat , extra bases , tarnames.str etc changes . so that old campaigns would be compatible.

--
  • 1.28E fully patched , and of course uses 1024 x 768 screens
    that can of course have the use for anyone wishing to use the stuff mentioned above (extra bases, runways, airfields, and a host of changes made during the 1.28 series)

Originally Posted by EAW1.28C-b-a-Editing.html

Mission Files Changes

Mission files changes were made starting in 1.28

All the changes are not documented here yet (as of 1/2010)

runways.dat
To make the use of 32 airfield runway types
is now possible to use the new airfields you need to use the newer runways.dat

and to have additonal runways displayed in game you would need to add airfld.3dz files for the runways you make

runways.dat changes:

The runwways.dat differences are mainly the addition of a 'shadow record' in the first entry of runways.dat to use for carriers, and then the addition of some 28 records at the end of the noraml default records.

to compare the 1.2 default to the new I make some pics available;

this pic shows the first record and the new header pointer which is 20h instead 0Bh meaing there are now 20h (32 in decimal) records in the file instead of 0Bh (11 decimal)

i this example the 1.28B ruways.dat on left compared to the 1.2 default on the right

runways1.gif

the second shows the end of the file, on the right the old 1.2 default end of record and left with hexeditor highlighting the last byte in the new file where the old data last byte occurs

runways2.gif

to use the new and combine with an old runways.dat you have customed you can see what you would need to add with a hex editor, use the new first record and header and then at the end tack on all the extra bytes of data
or simply paste your current data into the new in the proper area

Take note that this is only the 1.28b release runways.dat shown here, later ones, or those used by customized campaigns like SPAW, etc. may differ in the data

1.28a and on
Again not all changes recorded here yet 1/2010

in additon to the runways.dat described above..

1.28a and (by inheritence later .exes that may use the same data.cdf conating the .dats) have change to the targets.dat, tardata.dat, griddata.dat and airfield.dat files

The main change is due to the editing of Mr Jelly who added an extra base to targets.dat and airfield record to airfiled.dat as well as corresponding griddata changes, and a change of tardata.dat record locations pointed to from targets.dat

I only realized this recently so am only noting it now

The only part I document here is only the changes to targets.dat records pointers -
is found out by using my 2datscheck.exe program, which scans a targets.dat and airfield.dat file and makes a text file record output for the data from the 2 files to compare.
the comparison of the targets.dat and pointers in 1.28a (1.28b shown but the changes started in 1.28a and later) vs those of the 1.28 which had no such changes but adhered to the default 1.2 schema are shown in my pics here.

on the left in the pictures you see the 1.28b data and on right the 1.28 standard data

(My program uses a zero based offset to show here meaning the records start from 0 a 1 based offset shown in parenthesis() )
Except for the pointers to tardata.dat are different all is same until:
The first change you notice is at record #120 (121) things have changed, some records shifted around, so be aware of it
targetdiff1.28vs128c-1.gif

next you see major change at record #127 (128) a base was added with a new Acode
targetdiff1.28vs128c-2.gif

the effects of this are:
- a new base record which means the total number of bases is increased by 1 and so the targets.dat contains an extra record

- all bases afterwards are shifted in the records by increase of 1

- a new airfield.dat record and thus the airfield. dat since 1.28a has an extra record in it

- This makes it a inconvent for modders to try to use old data with the new, If you use my old tools or old documents you have to take the changes and data shift into account

- Also it means if you use a scenario / mission / campaign you cannot mix and match files
you would need targets.dat, tardata.dat, airfield.dat, griddata.dat all matching or you will get errors, ctds

- The possible effects on campaigns is unknown at this time

#4407695 - 02/27/18 12:50 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Confusing I know, but to restate:
Originally Posted by FsFOOT

The main point being:

having a patched 1.2 compatible replacement .exe for 800 x 600 screens to recommend to anyone as standard

This IMHO would mean a new .exe patched that would for instance remove all the noted below changes to the standard data model - the carrier, runways.dat , extra bases , tarnames.str etc changes . so that old campaigns would be compatible.

--
1.28E fully patched , and of course uses 1024 x 768 screens
that can of course have the use for anyone wishing to use the stuff mentioned above (extra bases, runways, airfields, and a host of changes made during the 1.28 series)

#4407696 - 02/27/18 12:52 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

argh... mistake!

..having a patched 1.2 compatible replacement .exe for 800 x 600 screens to recommend to anyone as standard..

to make clearer;

that is based on 1.28 series

#4407701 - 02/27/18 01:01 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

That would be primarily it.

1 more thing though:

The dirset utility is not needed and in fact interferese with the whole point of 1.28E IMHO

The point was (supposedly I presume) that 1.28E would not need OAW or any external progrm to manage EAW.

It would be relatively easy to just make the .exe load any directory without dirset, or even make dirset for anyone wishing it.

One reason is dirset is a third party tool really.
Its no go also on Linux and frankly simply confuses the entire mess of loading directories via a .str file which is frankly not even needed.

#4407702 - 02/27/18 01:04 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

Anyway, I desist, at the risk of arguement. These are all IM(not so Humble)Opinion

Frankly I'm leaving EAW efforts entirely shortly, so really its just a wish list for making the future easier for anyone to continue this game.

#4407741 - 02/27/18 06:17 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

I realize the posts somewhat contradictory. But you get the idea I hope of the 2 major versions thing and then of course the later MrJelly 1.28f - onward and FXexe EAWPro etc.

At any rate I desist. Since any patching would amount to wading through tons of code changes and there are few users now anyway, its probably irrelevant.

Since we never had a code repository it would be too hard to continue sensibly.

That said I'm stopping my EAW work now. Bowing out... The Linux side of my site I will still continue..

Post on my website
Originally Posted by EAWonLinux

Posted notice on the EAW page I will not be updating EAW any longer. Its been on and off over 15 years that I have casually involved in EAW ModiFlying, As I call it. Making Add-ons, posting on my various Websites and forums and even occasionally programming both tools and eaw.exe. Well all good things in time must come to an end here , and so we must part, my EAW friend and friends. You see European Air War like any real good classic game becomes like a friend to the person who relishes its' particular nature and nuances.

For me EAW fulfilled many a purpose. I basically learned much of my computing knowledge alongside supporting this game under Windows OS under old hardware and ModiFlying it. Also I even dwelved into hexediting, programming, learning about VM's and Linux and so many other avenues.

There is a lot to be said about a hobby or interest and especially games that force one to learn new skills. And a lot more to be said about the lessons one learns along the way. Along our way in this case was the development of the internet and technology in general. There is also much to be thankful for friends or really comrades one gathers alongside in such pursuits.

Other than that one might wish sometimes for monetization in some cases for one's hobby. In the case of EAW that was of course much lacking. Frankly I did half of my EAW work when I was at my poorest. Including recently! Although I did once land a rather nice job in a game company partly due to my reference to my EAW work and skills learned.

EAW itself never had a chance of going very far in modern programming situation. Since the first gists of EAW development started in archaic technology times, just after Dos in circa win3.1 ~ Win95 days. It barely made it up to DirectX 6 programming levels by its release. Many years and 2 programming teams after it began. It was released as 1.0 then 1.1 patch and finally 1.2 - then only some several years and companies after it would have been seen as cutting edge.

Even had it been earlier, it was never cutting edge. On the somewhat fringe edge of the cyber universe we of the EAW Code Group looked into the source code of the game and its mysterious insides. Comprised of some @ 254 relevant code pages the code is vast and has thousands upon thousands of lines of code and functions. Once we could understand some of it we could start to see how often it was in places somewhat awkwardly patched together by TK, and a few others in the final programming team.Later of course the Code Group and thanks to some of the old programmers and a few new ones patches were made and then game developed under the non-commercial agreement with Atari - Infogrames.

At any rate, EAW did make an impact and basically helped kick off the entire short days of the WWII flight sim craze mini-revival era which basically ended with IL2 and such later titles..

All for now! - Roy

-S!

#4407875 - 02/27/18 08:38 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

FsFOOT, Mr Jelly has in the past reissued 1.28-1.29 games (exe and game data).
The notes I made for myself are based on him posting about back patches or fixes to the game data.
When someone seems to request an older version he posts those
At least thats what I remember from then (a year or more ago) and my notes.
I dont have the specifics on the reissued exes.

As far as you wanting those updated 1.28-1.29. Mr jelly has them.
I do know he fixed a few things and added GLIDE 3.0 support to the older exes.
MrJelly has all the old versions nicely packaged in 7z install files, I do to, at least several, not all, are those what you want?

Beyond that I'm not sure what you need. I want to help. and I believe MrJelly does too.

#4408235 - 03/01/18 07:01 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
FsFOOT Offline
FsFOOT  Offline

rgr Its np.
I actually don't need anything now. I'm just giving up my EAW work and its too time consuming.

As far as playing, right now I have no joystick. I am poor so I need another job.

Also redoing my laptop and not wanting to put extra EAW stuff on it.

I'm sure I'll play EAW a bit soon.
And I may even get compiling again at some point, depending on my new job and extra time. Then maybe make a custom exe.

All for now!

#4408239 - 03/01/18 07:48 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Well I sent you e-mail and some links for downloads if you want them.

I uploaded them yesterday for you.

#4408256 - 03/01/18 09:59 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Okay More Windows Registry and EAW documentation updates on my Manually Install document. I moved and will be moving the rest of the registry stuff to the end of the doc.

Basically a 64 bit system virtually assigns a whole bunch of reg entries for the 32 bit EAW game. If your system is already 32 bit and you have Virtual Reg Entries they are ignored. Why are they there then??
I really don't know why Windows is doing all this, although I do have a few researching notes on the doc explaining some of the unnecessary reg entries, some seem to clog up EAW from running ever again on a system. Removing some of the entries will make EAW run again for those who can't run the game and have tried everything else to get it to run, theres the problem. However, specifically I'm not sure which reg entry cause the problem.

DirectPlay seems to set a bunch of compatibility entry's for it to work on modern windows. (WinVista to Win10).

Anyhow, I may continue with my exploeration of EAW and Registry entries along with ACT tool kit. But right now I'm just documenting what I found out even with some uncertainty.

Am I making sense?
if not perhaps read my WINDOWS REGISTRY section of my install doc and see if that makes any sense. Remember that that section of the doc is largely a draft.

#4410136 - 03/12/18 12:15 AM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I'm currently working on a Quick Start, Single and Career Missions Help Document. (along with other site docs that need touching up).

But I'm focused on this one doc. I need as much info about these files and the mission settings as possible.

Any suggestions as what I should include in the doc? A topic or subject? perhaps I can research it...Thanks in advanced.

#4410224 - 03/12/18 03:15 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
As for Quick Start things are very easy, it always uses the settings from the last flown Single Mission data and keeps them untill changes are made in Single Mission mode. After selecting this option you will immediately be thrown into the fight, ready or not.

In single Mission mode the player first selects a side and aircraft shown on the board which will take him to the Mission Parameter screen. Here he can change all the shown parameters and select Loadout for the mission. After hitting FLY the game will start. It should be noted that in the Mission Parameter screen there are LOAD and SAVE options for the Mission Data. The LOAD option allows loading of ANY mission saved and can change Mission Parameters for ANY plane on the fly.

In Carreer mode, the player first selects a year and side for the Carreer he's going to play. After hitting START CARREER he'll be taken to the Carreer Parameter screen where he can select his planetype and crew. Planetype is self evident but the available pilots have different skill levels which will impact the flown missions. Their skill/morale will improve or diminish based on the outcome for each mission. Alterations can be made during the Carreer but planetypes will be assigned depending on availabillity and/or relocation to various airbases.

Flying a successfull Carreer stands and falls with the losses encountered in the missions, as limited aircraft availabillity will gradually wear your squad strength down untill all pilots are dead and no replacements are available, which is end of game. As for Loadout, the game depends on preprogrammed data for stockpiles and replenishment dates, so the player must carefully determine their use.

That's it from memory in a nutshell. The exact procedures may slightly differ from what I've written here since it's been a long time ago I played them and the brain isn't getting any younger. I hope it's usefull to you. You know how to contact me if you have specific questions.

VonBeerhofen

Last edited by VonBeerhofen; 03/12/18 03:24 PM.
#4410250 - 03/12/18 06:21 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

This is a list of the things stored in the "MSN" files which VBH refers to with reard to lading and saving on the single mission parameters screen.

ULONG CRC;
ULONG VerNum;
ULONG Status;
char Description[_MAX_PATH];
// char Description[100];
// things to be modified by single mission parameter pages

long YearNum; // * Time Period: 1940 = 0, 1943 = 1, 1944 = 2, 1945 = 3
long TimeNum; // * Time of Day: Random = 0, Dawn = 1, Day = 2, Dusk = 3, Night = 4
long Weather; // * Weahter: Random = 0, Clear = 1, PartlyCloudy = 2, HeavyCloud = 3, Overcast = 4

// Primary Mission
long MissionType; // Mission: Mission Type
long TargetAreaOffset; // Target: Target location offset in worlddata.

long AircraftNo; // * Number of Aircraft: Random = 0, 1 - 12
long AltitudeBand; // * Cruise Altitude: Random = 0, Low = 1, Medium = 2, High = 3
long AttackHomeBase; // Home Base: Home Base area location offset in worlddata

// Friendly Support Activity
long SecondaryType; // * Secondary Aircraft: None = -2, Random = -1, AircraftType 0 - (MAX_PLANE_TYPES-1)
long SecondarySize; // * Formation Size: Random = 0, Small = 1, Medium = 2, Large = 3
long PilotSkill; // * Pilot Skill Level: Random = 0, Green = 1, Seasoned = 2, Expert = 3

// Expected Enemy Activity
long EnemyActivity; // * Air Activity Level: Random = 0, Light = 1, Moderate = 2, Heavy = 3
long EnemyMainType; // * Primary Aircraft: None = -2, Random = -1, AircraftType 0 - (MAX_PLANE_TYPES-1)
long EnemySecType; // * Secondary Aircraft: None = -2, Random = -1, AircraftType 0 - (MAX_PLANE_TYPES-1)
long EnemySkill; // * Pilot Skill Level: Random = 0, Green = 1, Seasoned = 2, Expert = 3
long EnemyAAA; // * AAA Activity Level: Random = 0, Light = 1, Moderate = 2, Heavy = 3

// things to be set elsewhere...

long MissionWeather; // weather flag
ULONG MissionDate; // Game Date/Time

long TargetOffset; // actual target offset in world database.

long AttackNumMain; // 2-16
long AttackNumSec; // 2-16
long AttackTypeMain; // Main defending plane type.
long AttackTypeSec; // Secondary defending plane type, None = -2, Random = -1
long AttackPilotSkill; // Attacking pilot skill level 0, 1, 2
long AttackMainAlt; // altitude in FEET
long AttackSecAlt; // altitude in FEET

long IntType; // 0, 1, 2, 3, 4
long IntSize; // Main defneding plane type
long DefTypeSec; // Secondary defending plane type,
long DefPilotSkill; // Attacking pilot skill level 0, 1, 2
long DefMainAlt; // altitude in FEET
long DefSecAlt; // altitude in FEET

A number of things cannot be set from single mission parameters, but I have been able to set some in the MSN file editor. It creates custom MSN files for a special version of 160.
This version has no selection screens because all of the selections have been made by the editor.

[Linked Image]

wink

Last edited by MrJelly; 03/12/18 06:28 PM.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4410256 - 03/12/18 07:24 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Thank you both. That information is what i needed to fill in the help doc.

From what I have for research info, is the MSNXX.DAT files are used to generate Quick Start missions and is used for Random selection from single player parameter screen, when random is set of course.
Would that be correct?

#4410268 - 03/12/18 08:07 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
VonBeerhofen  Offline
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Mark,

certain selections in the single mission parameterscreen can have the value 'random' and when set it's also entered into the relevant .MSN file and therefore also used in quick mission. If you set weather or time of day as random then these will also be randomly selected in Quick Mission but the rest of the mission remains the same for each subsequent Quick Mission game, untill the single mission parameter screen is changed again.

VonBeerhofen

#4410271 - 03/12/18 08:33 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

okay VBH. I understand that.

It could be my lack of understanding my research notes that I'm having a hard time trying to explain my questions.

Maybe its spelled MISNXX.DAT file that has the randomness in it / probability. I think these files are saved in DATA.CDF and are made for almost every year. So when you set in single player screen RANDOM for enemy plane, maybe it uses one of those file to determine which plane to use, based on the year of the single mission..

Also how would I re create the default QUICK START Mission in v1.2? Say I had fond memory's of it, how would I get it back?

Thanks...I go read some more stuff now.....

#4410274 - 03/12/18 08:44 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

If I recall correctly MSNxy.dat files contain probabilities of certain AI planes appearing. They caused a problem in multiplayer work because they often generated different AIs on different players' PCs. I recall Knegel shooting down an AI P38H on my PC when he had actually downed an AI P47C on his. However, we cashed in on that with the system we put into OAWunified. The files were edited by the OAW selector and gave certain aircraft a 100% chance of appearing which guaranteed that all players saw the same AIs.

[Linked Image]

It became redundant in 1.28 when we were able to set the friendly and enemy primary and secondary aircraft and bases wink

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

#4410275 - 03/12/18 08:52 PM Re: EAW Help Site Updated and Work [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Hmm, I remember reading something about that, different planes on different machines. I don't think random is normally selectable for multiplayer, maybe it is a parameter in the host settings?? ill have to check again.

BTW I'm not trying to create a very technical help doc, just a fairly adequate doc, enough to give someone a head start pointed in the right direction. Also for beginners to know how things are working.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.